DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

What version of Wolf3D do you prefer playing/modding?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

What version of Wolf3D do you prefer
Wolf4SDL
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
ECWolf
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
DOS
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 14
Total Votes : 14

Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:47 am
   Subject: What version of Wolf3D do you prefer playing/modding?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Do you prefer playing and/or modding Wolf3D using the classic DOS version, Wolf4SDL, or ECWolf?

DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 11

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:24 pm
   Subject: Re: What version of Wolf3D do you prefer playing/modding?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

At the beginning I opted for DOS because I knew only the tutorials to compile source code in DOS and also most of coding tutorials for new features were written for DOS...
But nowadays, I prefer Wolf4SDL, it can run without emulator and offers more possiblity for creativity (without all the DOS constraints).

ECWolf I really don't know it well, but I am afraid of losing too much of the original simplicity, concept...
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:38 pm

fraggeur wrote:
At the beginning I opted for DOS because I knew only the tutorials to compile source code in DOS and also most of coding tutorials for new features were written for DOS...
But nowadays, I prefer Wolf4SDL, it can run without emulator and offers more possiblity for creativity (without all the DOS constraints).

ECWolf I really don't know it well, but I am afraid of losing too much of the original simplicity, concept...

I agree.

Atomprojekt for instance will not have a DOS version because I couldn't implement things like the new enemies and actor count without running into memory constraints (some levels have 250 or so enemies on Death Incarnate). Wolf4SDL allows me to not have to worry about that. PTH only had a DOS version because I had created the mod on DOS and ported it to Wolf4SDL not long before release.

ECWolf seems a little closer to Doom in terms of modding. It has it's advantages and disadvantages. For instance, it's much easier to do things like switches and triggers than in Wolf4SDL. Adding graphics/textures and new enemies is also quite a bit simpler. ECWolf scales better to higher resolutions than Wolf4SDL does in my experience. One of the biggest advantages to ECWolf is being able to use modern WASD controls. If you aren't used to how the Wolf3D engine handles strafing, this is a godsend. It can be implemented in Wolf4SDL but it's quite difficult to do as far as I understand.

However, certain things that are relatively simple in Wolf4SDL cannot be done in ECWolf. For instance, Atomprojekt has one level where the player starts with no ammo and 10% health and one level that is timed. Both of those, at the current time, cannot be ported correctly to ECWolf.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:06 pm

It got off to a rough start for me, but Wolf4SDL mods won me over in less than two years. Its major advantage is that it can be run "right out of the box" instead of through a separate program. WASD control? I tried it in Wolf4SDL; I honestly tried. It just doesn't "feel" right for me, and given that it's pretty much a 2-D game with a 3-D perspective, I never really found the WASD controls to be appropriate, intuitive, or even necessary in Wolf3D.

EC-Wolf? I tried it. It wasn't terrible, and it probably has a good future in store for itself. But there's too many things it needs to fill in before I'll consider making a mod with it. And I honestly don't enjoy running EC-Wolf mods on this machine ... primarily because I'm using a Linux-based OS, and the Windows emulator "WINE" makes programs like EC-Wolf even less straightforward than they were before. I'd really rather just run Wolf4SDL mods and save myself the hassle. Sad
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:11 pm

Tricob wrote:
It got off to a rough start for me, but Wolf4SDL mods won me over in less than two years. Its major advantage is that it can be run "right out of the box" instead of through a separate program. WASD control? I tried it in Wolf4SDL; I honestly tried. It just doesn't "feel" right for me, and given that it's pretty much a 2-D game with a 3-D perspective, I never really found the WASD controls to be appropriate, intuitive, or even necessary in Wolf3D.

EC-Wolf? I tried it. It wasn't terrible, and it probably has a good future in store for itself. But there's too many things it needs to fill in before I'll consider making a mod with it. And I honestly don't enjoy running EC-Wolf mods on this machine ... primarily because I'm using a Linux-based OS, and the Windows emulator "WINE" makes programs like EC-Wolf even less straightforward than they were before. I'd really rather just run Wolf4SDL mods and save myself the hassle. Sad

Same thing here pretty much. It took me a while to be "sold" on Wolf4SDL, but once I ported PTH and experienced how much easier coding is with it, I didn't want to go back. I mean, using that old, clunky Borland C++ 3.1 to code is such a hassle. Plus there is all the memory constraints that are lifted once you go to SDL.

I think for ECWolf, it depends on what kind of mod you want to do. Pretty much anything Executor has done recently utilizes the platform very well.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 pm

Indeed - the memory restraints are a major reason I don't want to go back to DOS modding. The "640K barrier" is something I was never a fan of, and DOS-based PCs had so many strings attached to game programming, it always took the fun out of it for me. That was a major reason I went back into 8-bit programming again - I could program without Windows controlling everything around it, yet the obstacles of the DOS machines weren't barring my way from whatever it was I wanted to do.

So no - I don't miss DOS-based programming at all. I even approach Q-BASIC projects with dread. I'd rather port a QB program to an 8-bit machine instead (which I have in fact done in the past).
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:46 pm

SDL by far (for playing; I don't make my own mods at least not to date). ECWolf might catch up at some point if development continues, but not yet.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 6

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:38 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I enjoy Wolf4SDL but I know little about modding Doom. Before Wolf4SDL my favourite Wolf3d engine was NewWolf but I didn't get a lot done with it except to port Totengraeber 2 to it - I liked that mod a lot. After that was done I started working with Team Raycast using Wolf4SDL on Batman vs Bane. I had no idea anything like that was possible in a wolf3d engine until I joined Ron and Doomjedi.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: