DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Textures you hate from the original game?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
beefjerky26
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 12

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:09 pm
   Subject: Textures you hate from the original game?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I really only have one texture that I absolutely DESPISE. I don't know why, but it just never seems to fit in a map when I see it.

http://imgur.com/a/FfzYE
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:31 pm
   Subject: Re: Textures you hate from the original game?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The purple cave wall was always one I disliked.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:59 pm

I don't hate any of the original game textures because they all have their use. Some are harder to "get right" than others and are prone to overuse. The purple wall is a big one. I can also see the case for that with the brown panel texture, but it does have it's place. If there is a texture I really dislike, it's the gray concrete in Spear of Destiny. It does have it's place but only in small doses.

Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:59 pm

AlumiuN wrote:

Really? I Kinda like that one. It does require a certain color ceiling though, I guess. The Purple Ceiling doesn't go well with much else.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:23 pm

beefjerky26 wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

Really? I Kinda like that one. It does require a certain color ceiling though, I guess. The Purple Ceiling doesn't go well with much else.

That is a problem, but it might just be that it tended to be the focus of a mazy map when used (see E1L10, E2L6 and some of E6L7) and I'm not a huge fan of such maps.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:02 pm

Barry wrote:
If there is a texture I really dislike, it's the gray concrete in Spear of Destiny. It does have it's place but only in small doses.
Which one? There are two; one with the diagonal slants and creases on it, and the other which kind of had a "bubble" texture to it. I know it's supposed to be stones, but it never looked that way to me.
beefjerky26
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:48 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
beefjerky26 wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

That is a problem, but it might just be that it tended to be the focus of a mazy map when used (see E1L10, E2L6 and some of E6L7) and I'm not a huge fan of such maps.

Yerp, E6L7 had that shitty maze, lol, and half of it was purple. I've sorta warmed up to that map. I hated it before, too, but it was the part having to run past all those officers behind the columns on all four sides that bothered me more than the maze part.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:16 am

beefjerky26 wrote:
I really only have one texture that I absolutely DESPISE. I don't know why, but it just never seems to fit in a map when I see it.

http://imgur.com/a/FfzYE

Hey, it's my favorite texture! And yet somehow, I was expecting to see it here. This texture usually makes me feel cozy, just like crate mazes in Doom (and they're a controversial design choice too).

I'm not sure about hating, but I'm gonna say grey brick 2 annoys me the most just because it doesn't align well. Same with the vertical side of Multicolor brick, and its mismatched brightness.
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:43 pm

I dislike (not quite hate) both of the new gray walls introduced in Spear of Destiny mentioned above -- both the bubbly one and the one with the diagonal streaks. On the plus side, Spear did introduce the cobblestone wall, which to this day remains my absolute favorite. It works well with a wide range of ceiling colors too.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Another vote for the gray concrete from Spear - the non-bubbly variant. It's drab, hardly used, has no flow... Just a horrible texture. You can't go anywhere with it. Together with the white panel from Spear (which wasn't used, correct?) it drains you from any sort of inspiration. At best it can be used as a compartment holder (e.g. a stand-alone 3x3 for plants, spear racks, ammo pickup etc.) but never as a defining texture owing to any significant structure of the given level. The blood wall could be another contender though it serves its purpose in a themed level.

It took me a while to appreciate the brown weave, the "Episode 5" blue wall and the purple stone but I quickly learned to appreciate them. I loved the softwood texture initially but grew tired of it with the advent of SDL as quick movement within its reach made for a flickering, distracting display.

If there are any textures that bother me from the original game(s) it would have to be some of the Spear: Mission Pack (aka Lost Episodes) textures. Some are quite cool in a space-age way but others are just horrible, disjointed affairs with a terrible sense of proper coloring.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Thomas wrote:
Together with the white panel from Spear (which wasn't used, correct?) it drains you from any sort of inspiration.
That's correct; although some SOD mapsets didn't hesitate to use it. The same story goes for the "Grey Brick With Map" texture, which appeared only in E5L9 of the original maps; SOD never used it.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:28 pm

I agree with Thomas about the white panel from Spear. I used to like that texture but it's so hard to do anything with it. I think the concrete (both versions) are useful in small doses, but I tend to dislike otherwise good levels that use it as their main texture. I also don't really like the complete texture set from the SOD Lost Episodes. It does have some good stuff however that is useful for complementing the original textures, especially in themed levels.

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Tricob wrote:
The same story goes for the "Grey Brick With Map" texture, which appeared only in E5L9 of the original maps; SOD never used it.

I had no idea it was only used in Gretel's level. Always thought that was a neat one...
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:15 am

I actually like that Wood N' Nails / Orange Panel thing in beefjerky's first post, but I think it works better as an island or blended in with other textures in the same room (as opposed to how they used it exclusively for an whole area in E6L10 including it's hallways). It also looks pretty epic if you surround it's room with floor lamps. I felt the "Rock" texture was way too overused in Spear, if they would have used something else like that unused White Panel in Level 5 instead, maybe I wouldn't have been so sick of seeing it by the time I got to levels 13-16. Laughing The SoD gray with diagonal streaks kinda works for me with lots of bones.
beefjerky26
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Chris wrote:
I actually like that Wood N' Nails / Orange Panel thing in beefjerky's first post, but I think it works better as an island or blended in with other textures in the same room (as opposed to how they used it exclusively for an whole area in E6L10 including it's hallways). It also looks pretty epic if you surround it's room with floor lamps. I felt the "Rock" texture was way too overused in Spear, if they would have used something else like that unused White Panel in Level 5 instead, maybe I wouldn't have been so sick of seeing it by the time I got to levels 13-16. Laughing The SoD gray with diagonal streaks kinda works for me with lots of bones.

Yeah I agree, it looks better as a partition as opposed to walls. I like when Areyep used it as cubicles in wolfendoom, haha.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:17 pm

beefjerky26 wrote:
Yeah I agree, it looks better as a partition as opposed to walls. I like when Areyep used it as cubicles in wolfendoom, haha.

Agree 100 % - to me it always signaled notice board, something meant as a room divider type of wall and not e.g. something to fill out an entire level with... Not a load bearing wall. Even though some mappers, including myself, have used it as such several times. And even though it's 25 years since Wolf came out... Almost... I had zero idea that this texture, the softwood partition as it's also called, sat so well next to the standard wood panel. It really looks like a primitive wood panel in its own right. Took me Atomprojekt to figure this out. Again Barry Christian pops up after all these years and tells us newbs how it's really done. But agree that it fits better as an island or as a mildly used texture. AReyeP knew what he was doing with WolfenDOOM. Deep down inside I hope he is out there, about to surprise us with something cool. Making top notch levels as well as brilliant graphics, his influence is still massive.

A texture I've grown tired of... The brown stone aka sandstone aka Canyon wall or whatever. The "episode 6 brown wall" or "fancy diamond wall" or whatever it's deemed. I love playing maps with this texture but lose all ideas immediately when I start paneling it out. It is a stone wall, could be used in a dungeon or something earthy, yet we only know it as being used in executive levels, Episode 6 and so on. If the brown texture (which is almost golden in a way) was darker, more gritty, then it would be easy to work with. But it just spells out big castle, light ceilings, chandeliers and brown columns and it gets all too tedious and not enough action and blood! Which is what we're playing this thing for, right?
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:17 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I too think the wood panel wall makes for a great office setting as demonstrated in Wolfendoom, I took inspiration and did something similar in my episode.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: