DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Was Monster Bash 3D ever close to being a playable game?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
spooner

Topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:58 am
   Subject: Was Monster Bash 3D ever close to being a playable game?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hi kinda new here to the forums,but not to Wolfenstein 3D. So A few years ago someone was working on a mod called Monster Bash 3D for Wolfenstein 3D. It was looking really good and it sounded like the mod was possibly ready for a demo. Then after a while there was nothing else about it. I don't remember who it was that was working on it,but I wasn't sure if there had been anyone else that was working on it as well with him that may have a build of the game. I keep hoping one day they may reboot the mod or at least finish it. Thanks
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:46 am
   Subject: Re: Was Monster Bash 3D ever close to being a playable game?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I agree, it looked quite funny and very interesting. Fairly certain the author was Ryan Steinbruner. As far as I can tell, he ran awry within the community, a lot of disputes and back-and-forth between him and some of the admins. He did come across as quite rude if you ever get to read the comments. But what the hell do we know.

This is way back from when the forums were just a bunch of messages on Yahoo. I don't think anybody else was sent material, source or anything. A beta or at best a demo, maybe? Can't answer that. With Andy not around I've no idea who has kept track of this. But it's funny you should bring it up. Read about Monster Bash a couple of days ago and wondered whatever happened to this mod. So much nice vaporware. Helvete, Kreml 3D, Dalek War etc... Shame they never got across screenshot/teaser stage.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:02 am

I know memory restraints were a very serious barrier at one point in the design process. This was originally a 128x128 game when we were still held back by the 640K barrier. The game ran across other problems afterward, but I'm not entirely clear what they were.
spooner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 am

Thomas wrote:
I agree, it looked quite funny and very interesting. Fairly certain the author was Ryan Steinbruner. As far as I can tell, he ran awry within the community, a lot of disputes and back-and-forth between him and some of the admins. He did come across as quite rude if you ever get to read the comments. But what the hell do we know.

This is way back from when the forums were just a bunch of messages on Yahoo. I don't think anybody else was sent material, source or anything. A beta or at best a demo, maybe? Can't answer that. With Andy not around I've no idea who has kept track of this. But it's funny you should bring it up. Read about Monster Bash a couple of days ago and wondered whatever happened to this mod. So much nice vaporware. Helvete, Kreml 3D, Dalek War etc... Shame they never got across screenshot/teaser stage.

I know i was actually looking forward to Dalek wars. What was that one where you played as a vampire and it had like a duke nukem 3d feel to it supposedly. Also Tricob did you work on it as well? Have you ever thought about remaking it in sdl?
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:14 am

spooner wrote:
What was that one where you played as a vampire and it had like a duke nukem 3d feel to it supposedly.

Oof... Can't remember. There are some possibilities. One is Northern Darkness by Mäx, but that was more heavy metal based and not vampires at all. It had amazing graphics and a great flow, as is tradition with Mäx's work. Perhaps it could be something by Joshua Waight who also went under various aliases. He put out a lot of mods, most of which had a totally different atmosphere than the previous or next one he'd put out. Can't remember the names right away.

You might find this interesting, though, spooner; this particular news archive has a panel on the right which depicts upcoming mods. Some of them leads to sites or screenshots. http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/newsnov2004.htm
spooner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:36 am

Thomas wrote:
spooner wrote:
What was that one where you played as a vampire and it had like a duke nukem 3d feel to it supposedly.

Oof... Can't remember. There are some possibilities. One is Northern Darkness by Mäx, but that was more heavy metal based and not vampires at all. It had amazing graphics and a great flow, as is tradition with Mäx's work. Perhaps it could be something by Joshua Waight who also went under various aliases. He put out a lot of mods, most of which had a totally different atmosphere than the previous or next one he'd put out. Can't remember the names right away.

You might find this interesting, though, spooner; this particular news archive has a panel on the right which depicts upcoming mods. Some of them leads to sites or screenshots. http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/newsnov2004.htm

Found it. It was called Nitehorrors 3d. http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/nitehpics.htm
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:10 pm

spooner wrote:
Also Tricob did you work on it as well? Have you ever thought about remaking it in sdl?
I remember volunteering to do beta-testing for it. But I've never been shown the source code or the game files at any point in the design process. But that *is* a detail I forgot to mention, so thank you for asking about this. Smile
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:04 am

It's the same for Rpgmaker community, most of the project never reach playable state.
I'd say it's a much bigger problem there actually.
Only a few does get to the playable stable, then only a very few gets to full game.
And the more ambitious the game is the more likely it is to never get to "full game" state.

I only did manage to get to 2 full game state (one was more like a very short one, the other was a long RPG) in my life.
I did release 2 playables demos with like 1h of playtime.
For the most part everything else never get past concept stage.

In indie Rpg communities, some people write articles to counter that with articles on that very interesting subject.
For the most part, the most usefull advices is about knowing what you can do, in how much time and team project are pretty hard to manage.
It seems most of the project here does go either in playable demo state and lots also in "full game" state. Smile
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:41 am

I have the source code and data files up to the point that I know they have been done. It was playable, virtually finished from what I can recall, at least finished to the point that I knew it needed to be. I don't know if the maps were finished.

From what I remember, Ryan disappeared while developing then contacted me years later to continue, but then that fizzled.

Since it didn't begin as my project, I don't think it is my place to release any of it to the public without Ryan's permission.

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:47 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Adam Biser wrote:
I have the source code and data files up to the point that I know they have been done. It was playable, virtually finished from what I can recall, at least finished to the point that I knew it needed to be. I don't know if the maps were finished.

From what I remember, Ryan disappeared while developing then contacted me years later to continue, but then that fizzled.

Since it didn't begin as my project, I don't think it is my place to release any of it to the public without Ryan's permission.

Is there a way you can contact Ryan regarding the project?
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: