DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

The "slow motion" debug could make a sweet gamepla
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:02 am
   Subject: The "slow motion" debug could make a sweet gamepla
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

You can see it best in ECwolf, because in this port tab+S slows down the gameplay while retaining smooth framerate, so you can set the slowdown value to about 8 or so, visit some difficult and enemy-filled level and have a cinematic experience.

It's also present in Wolf4SDL in vanilla, but the coolness factor is rather lessened by the fact that vanilla slow motion mode also slows down the framerate appropriately. It's a very reasonable behavior, that allows retaining demo recording possiblity among other things. But maybe some things could be visually interpolated while keeping other things, including key presses, in sync with the standard game tic speed? Like, maybe the game could read the key that is held during the tic, or if there's none, the last key that was held between the current tic and the previous one.

Alright, here's my wolf mod idea. You have some short and relatively non-labirynthe levels that require really good reaction time. Plenty of enemies, little cover and so on. But it's all in slow motion. So you can shoot at the guy that is most ready to fire, stun him, then shoot the one that was the second to raise his weapon, then another one, finish the wounded one, and so on. Just cool slow motion stuff. You can just use ECwolf like I said to get the feel of the possiblities. And once you finish the level...

You see a real time replay.

I already tried it out with the regular Wolf4SDL's demo recording function. Slowdown cheat during the demo, normal speed during playback. My heightened reaction time mixed with indecisiveness made it look kind of jittery, but looking pretty sweet and badass nonetheless. It worked. My point is, the main mechanics already exist, and the mod would just use them in a new way. And maybe beautify them a bit, too (like I said about the framerate - the choppy motion was tolerable, but it would have been much more fun without it for sure).

Additional gameplay ideas:

• The slow motion does not have to apply constantly. I thought that maybe it should depend on "danger level", measured by something like the number of active guards, or even the number of guards who are aiming and/or shooting at you at the moment. But now I think that maybe it would be better if it was in the player's control, for example: the running is always enabled, and holding Shift instead speeds up the time during what the player considers to be uneventful moments.
  • Less random damage. I guess randomness makes it feel more realistic? But less randomness would reward planning more. The distance-based damage dropoff is good, but the random damage and a random chance to miss your enemy could be removed.
  • An exception to the above could be in regards to the enemy missing the player - instead of enemy HP varying with skill level, the skill level (and distance, so that you'll be penalized less for missing a far away enemy) could determine how likely they are to hit you. On the hardest skill, there would be no missed shots.
  • Your inventory wouldn't carry over to the next maps - a bullet-time themed mod should be focused on the here and now.
  • Since the levels would be short and mostly non-exploratory, traditional game-saving could be replaced by unlocking levels.
  • Instead of saving your game, how about saving replays?
  • On some levels you'd just have to find an exit as usual, while on others you'd have to kill everyone. Or maybe even collect all the treasure? In any case, getting 100% kills could always end the level since there wouldn't be a lot more to do afterwards.

So that's my idea. Definitely unconventional, but not super outlandish either, I think?
fraggeur
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 11

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:22 pm
   Subject: Re: The "slow motion" debug could make a sweet gamepla
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Definitely interesting and original features and ideas, but in practice is there a real interest to play such a mod?

My point is that, personally I would probably not have the patience to watch the replay after each level completion. I like your ideas, aproach and freshness, but I simply wouldn't particularly enjoy playing this (although I would appreciate the technical performance behind it), thus the development effort would not worth it, kind of (unless you have fun in developing it, then it is worth, and whatever the end players think).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:02 pm

The slow pacing - in my view - is something worth experiencing only over for a short period of time. I don't see it working as a full-blown mod ... unless it's one small single map.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:31 pm

You could implement it as a powerup or ability that is active only for a short time.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:20 am

For what it's worth, SUPERHOT has both continued slow-motion and replays after every level and it doesn't get old at all. But I guess it must be a matter of subjective preference too, since I had a good amount of fun with the slow motion even outside very action-packed short levels that would work best with it.

And as I said, if I made such a mod the slow motion would probably be non-constant in some way, I'm just undecided on what should determine the presence or absence of it.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:16 am

Could be a powerup, could work ala bullettime in Max Payne. Or you could do it in certain spots, dictated by the story (e.g., a sci-fi story about a planet where time and movement is perceived differently, or something).
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 161
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:59 am

I could also see the slow motion being used for underwater or space levels.

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:00 am
   Subject: Re: The "slow motion" debug could make a sweet gam

Military wrote:
[*] Less random damage. I guess randomness makes it feel more realistic? But less randomness would reward planning more. The distance-based damage dropoff is good, but the random damage and a random chance to miss your enemy could be removed.
[*] An exception to the above could be in regards to the enemy missing the player - instead of enemy HP varying with skill level, the skill level (and distance, so that you'll be penalized less for missing a far away enemy) could determine how likely they are to hit you. On the hardest skill, there would be no missed shots.
[*] Your inventory wouldn't carry over to the next maps - a bullet-time themed mod should be focused on the here and now.
[*] Since the levels would be short and mostly non-exploratory, traditional game-saving could be replaced by unlocking levels.

I like these ideas. Wouldn't mind seeing them in wolf3d mods as default. gerolf's Tab+S underwater idea sounds cool too.
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 3:56 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I like the idea too of using it as a powerup.
Nice ideas ! Smile
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: