DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

What mod(s) are you currently playing?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:45 pm
   Subject: What mod(s) are you currently playing?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I thought this would be a good thread idea to get conversation going as somewhat a companion to "What are you doing with Wolfenstein?" Now that I am finished with Atomprojekt, I want to play through some that I missed while I was away from Wolf3D.

What mod are you currently playing? How far into it are you and what are your thoughts (likes/dislikes) about it?

I just started Endlosung by Thomas Weiling. So far, I am really enjoying it. I am only two levels in, but the first two levels have been really great. I like the variety of textures and room shapes as it gives the maps character. I also like the compact layouts. Very reminiscent of the original Wolf3D. My only gripe is there is a little too much health for the amount of action, as I am playing on Death Incarnate and am almost always at 100%. However, that may change as I get further into the mod and the difficulty ramps up.

What about you?

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:03 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, I've played Passage to Hollenteufel, like it quite a bit, and also now I've played Atomprojekt and I love it. I really think Barry has a work of art here. On the other hand, I don't think I've really given a serious play to anything else in the last six months, sadly. Sad I guess you can find a few Map of the Month levels on my YouTube channel from the last six months, so of course I played those, but it wasn't even the first time I played them.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:13 pm
   Subject: Re: What mod(s) are you currently playing?

I've been playing Gary's new mod Hitler at the Ninth Gate and have finished the first seven levels. A very good mod so far that uses the allowance of extra map space well, probably the best use of bigger canva's that I have seen in a Wolf3D mod so far. Floor 4 has been the sole letdown.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 103
israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:46 am

Atomproject Smile Very good mod so far.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:14 am

@doomjedi Thanks! Very Happy Means a lot to me as a tester (see the credits). I hope Barry takes a look here is well, I'm sure it will mean quite a bit to him.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:25 am

doomjedi wrote:
Atomproject Smile Very good mod so far.

Playing bits and pieces of this whenever I have the time. Really good indeed!
Gary
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 5
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 am

Same here with Atomprojekt. Just wrapped up the insane level 14 and moving on to 15. Things aren't getting any easier! Most fun I've had with Wolf3D in a very long time.
Barry
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:29 pm

Thanks for the compliments on Atomprojekt everyone!

I just finished Hitler at the Ninth Gate. It was definitely one of the best mods I've ever played and it kept me immersed from start to finish.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Finished Floor 8 of H9G. This was an amazing level, and a great example IMO of when it is appropriate to give out a free chaingun and be quite loose on ammo. Probably a strategy that only serves well in levels as massive as you can make with a 128x128 canvas. Massive indeed but it didn't feel to me like it dragged because I could take care of enemies so fast. Pulse pounding action from start to finish. In fact, given I only had three keys, I wasn't even ready for it to end when it did! Another ten minutes of this stuff wouldn't have bothered me in the last. Excellent penultimate, I await the finale now.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:06 pm

I've been playing 'Spearmpixsod' over the last week, a rather old set from 1998. I'm up to Floor 15. It's a decent set with nice designs; however, it does show its age as floor codes are rarely used in a way that brings surprises or excitement on the gameplay front, and also makes things a bit easy. It's a pretty reasonable set for its time, however, and by the later parts the difficulty isn't quite so trivial. But if you're looking for a modern challenge, you won't find it here.

DieHard Officer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 pm

MrWolfForever wrote:
I've been playing 'Spearmpixsod' over the last week, a rather old set from 1998. I'm up to Floor 15. It's a decent set with nice designs; however, it does show its age as floor codes are rarely used in a way that brings surprises or excitement on the gameplay front, and also makes things a bit easy. It's a pretty reasonable set for its time, however, and by the later parts the difficulty isn't quite so trivial. But if you're looking for a modern challenge, you won't find it here.

I agree that the design of this set is awesome for 1998 and still holds up well today. You are right though about the floor codes. I think a lot of authors at that time, including myself, heeded the advice of BJ Rowan's level design tutorial which emphasized unique floor codes for each room or area. While that works and as a beginner and helps you learn proper floor coding, it does create relatively simplistic combat scenarios. In this aspect, there is a huge difference between my old stuff like Armageddon and The Road to Neuschwanstein and my newer stuff like PTH and Atomprojekt.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:27 pm

I didn't know that came from his design book. That's not really a good tactic in actuality IMO, but it probably wasn't really 'discovered' until later. I think Gary Ragland may have been a bit ahead of the game perhaps.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:00 pm

I forgot to also mention, the author also tends to overuse deaf codes for enemies in addition to occasionally outright misusing (1:25) them. And there is a use of dogs (4:30) in Floor 3 that makes me want to laugh...what's the point?

I had actually played the first seven levels of this and recorded them blindly back in early 2015; I decided to start at Floor 6 when picking it back up.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 85
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:04 pm

I just finished up on Green Arrow, which was really fun. I have the Playlist on my youtube channel. Now I'm playing through my first mod, the remake, DOOM: Legions of Hell, just to remind me of what I did 12 years ago (and 5, when I fixed it). Was also thinking of a playthrough of Orb of Dilaaria, since I never finished that, and it was really cool too.

Also, I am bug fixing, and redoing maps for DOOM: Legions Revisited. I found the source, and the files, and am now just looking at the scope of what needs to be done. It was so close, and when I finished college, I just dropped it, and forgot about it. I am excited to get back into modding and see what I can do to finish it up, and get a few of ronwolf's old maps out there. Some where really cool and I want to give credit where credit is due. I don't think I'll have any more updates on the mod until it is ready to beta test, cuz I don't want to do what I did a long time ago, and announce it before it was even started. Razz

This community has always made me happy to build off of a game that was my childhood intro to gaming.

For those who are interested:

Green Arrow: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLknWG94I5CO00NksBTVXmLCOb7oEQ1FDN

DOOMLOH: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLknWG94I5CO2oLEMRiFAvOjqetiyV_dz6

New Site: http://www.treesapthief.com
Twitter: @treesapthief
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 103
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:39 am

insurrectionman wrote:
I just finished up on Green Arrow, which was really fun

Thank you Smile
After some break to gain back our creative mojo, we've just started active development of our next mod Smile
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:41 am

I played some of the Wolfmaster levels after someone posted a screenshot with an intriguing map of one of the levels.

A complete disregard of design principles is a recurring theme there and it's pretty fascinating. Like game B which so far just feels cavernous. And all those levels feel so big. Overall the experience is so alien I sometimes feel like I'm playing some completely different game someone added wolf3d actors to.
Aryan_Wolf3D
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:48 am

Game B... Is that the "Ruins of Castle Wolfenstein" level set? I actually kind of enjoyed that one.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 36
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:40 am

A lot of the Wolfmaster/Super Upgrades levels are actually kind of fun. A fair few of them (even the fun ones) aren't very good, but there are a few sets that are pretty good either directly or that show what sort of thing can be achieved by designing things differently.

I'm currently working on an SDL EXE for the Super Upgrades; I'm reimplementing the exploits used in Temporary Insanity so it works, which will take a bit longer that I was originally intending on, but it should be ready soonish.
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:58 am

I picked up Wolfendoom now after I stopped somewhere at episode 2 and never got around to continuing. I'm playing through episode 3 right now and the maps are really fun and diverse. Makes me want to create some mod with an abstract/non-realistic theme so I'd have a good excuse for making some unconventional unrealistic gamey maps.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:46 am

I would love it if more unconventional mods were developed. Doom can be a lot more adventurous, in that regard. Granted, it's a game that perhaps lends itself better for unconventional/arty mapping. But it's one of those ventures that has rarely been explored in Wolf3D modding.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:45 am

I love Wolfendoom, I need to map for that someday.

As for me currently I am going through Spear Mission 3: Ultimate Challenge, which has felt like a godsend so far compared to the absolutely atrocious Return to Danger (I have no idea how I managed to play that to proper completion TWICE in the past). The latter I managed to finish 6 or 7 levels by locating the elevator as quickly as possible and thus skipping a sizable chunk of the pack because the mapping was so awful. Endless one space corridors that wind around, mazes, mandatory pushwall progression, haphazard enemy placement, lack of decoration, you name it, it's BAD.

E: Well never mind it just went from feeling like relief from RTD to just plain boring and uninspired. Four more floors and I will be free!
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:03 am

Return to Danger is just plain bad in almost every way. Ultimate Challenge I'd more describe as 'levels that are made mostly competently but become repetitive/predictable and thus boring after a while'.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:14 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

MrWolfForever wrote:
Return to Danger is just plain bad in almost every way. Ultimate Challenge I'd more describe as 'levels that are made mostly competently but become repetitive/predictable and thus boring after a while'.

Summed up to a T! It just goes to show even if you have cool new graphics and sounds they mean [Censored]-all when your mapping is absolutely horrible.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: