DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolfenstein 3d/SOD Alphas/Betas
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:17 am
   Subject: Wolfenstein 3d/SOD Alphas/Betas
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I know there's a topic for Spear, but there's no need to make 2 threads..

Interceptor recently acquired the 3D Realms archives, and is planning to release all the Duke Nukem 3d and Shadow Warrior alphas/betas. Among these there's also other games 3DR has alphas/betas for:

Blood (currently can't be released, but they might anyways..)
Prey (can't be released)
Duke Nukem Forever (can't be released)
Doom (it's a build in between 2 Doom alphas already released, so it might be released without question)
Wolfenstein 3d/SOD...

I have been told, that in this archive, this is what is in them regarding Wolf/SOD, these builds all come from the year 1992:

Wolf: March 14 (1 episode), April 13 (3 episodes), May 14, May 30 (both 6 episodes)
Spear: July 31, August 18

I don't know when the alpha version we already have was created, but I also remember reading somewhere that Romero had the EGA versions of Wolf 3d.

Now, they are going to get in contact with Romero and see what he says, and try and find a way to get these released.

I'll keep you all updated!
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:19 am
   Subject: Re: Wolfenstein 3d/SOD Alphas/Betas
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

gerolf wrote:
Wolf: March 14 (1 episode), April 13 (3 episodes), May 14, May 30 (both 6 episodes)
Spear: July 31, August 18

I don't know when the alpha version we already have was created, but I also remember reading somewhere that Romero had the EGA versions of Wolf 3d.
We undoubtedly have the March 14th beta, as that one only had Episode One.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:53 pm

That version we have has been altered, so here's hoping this one is in its original state (no changes to the files like an edited Read This!).

Also in that beta, I found a few interesting things in it.. If you open it with WDC you can see the map editor tiles, and the one related to the chest treasure looks like a book.. bo_bible?
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Also, they have some ROTT prototypes, the earliest dating back to 1993.. They'd be able to release these as it's a 3DR game.. So maybe we'll get to see what ROTT was like when it was just a sequel to Wolf.

Topics: 152

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:22 pm

These ROTT prototypes will be great for my Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad VI game. I will be able to export the sprites and use them for my mod. I am using the original title screen in my game also. Apogee will be credited as well as ID Software in the credits when my game is released.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:53 pm

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing these prototypes mentioned on the OP released?

I am pretty sure Tricob is right about the single episode March 14th alpha being the one we already have. The only difference I could imagine is the "Read This!" would not have been altered.

May 5th is Wolf 3d's release date, so the April 13th alpha/beta must be fairly close to the final version, but I'd imagine there to be some differences.

The May 14th and May 30th ones, I'm not sure, maybe there'd be more differences than we'd suspect.

The Spear ones are older than the release, so there's no telling what could be different in them, but I wouldn't doubt the spear section would be either unfinished or different.

I'm not really expecting there to be anything like different weapons or enemies of that sort, but maybe early versions of the bosses, different art, etc, old versions of the levels (which may be finished or unfinished).

What do you all think? Are these worth trying to get public?

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:10 pm

UPDATE:

I've been notified that the single episode version is not the same as what was leaked, what we have is actually OLDER than what they have, but there's only 2 known differences in the version they have:

In the HELPART.WL1 file, there is one like added to the bottom "If you don't, at least you'll go out in a blaze of glory!" and the title screen, instead of saying "Alpha" it says "BETA 0.1" in large red writing (and it looks like it was hand written using MSPaint) that looks like it was bloody.

There's no telling how much older what we have is because of how the files were edited before being leaked (edited to have the saved files and the edited HELPART.WL1, which seems to be written by Chris), but the one at 3DR is dated March 14th, 1992. Also, only the HELPART.WL1 files were compared, so there may have been some other differences between these 2.

EDIT:

I have also been notified that Id has simply said "no" to the release of these prototypes, which is really damn stupid of them, but oh well. I doubt there would be too many differences anyhow in these prototypes.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:53 pm

Personally, I would love to get hold of the "Rise of the Triad" stuff that used the original Wolf3d spec and source code. If they have the vswap, and the other vga files, those would be ok as well as we have the tools for extracting information from those files seeing as they used the same specs as the Wolf3d we love. The music would be nice to have, along with the map files.

If they could leak that stuff to the community it would be great. I've personally got everything that they have out there right now, including the Japanese version along with the Noah's Ark game as well. I've been trying to go through everything that I've collected on Wolf3d over the years and put it all together. There is a lot of duplication in the information and archives that I've downloaded, but my Wolf3d files have a size of approx 35 gigabytes and 350,000 files. This includes web pages, posts and other information on and about Wolf3d and it's dirivitives. It's all only Wolf3d... No Doom, or any other game. I'm still going through everything as I know there is a lot of duplication in the hundreds of directories. Size wise once all is finally compiled and consolidated, I expect it to be about 1/2 to maybe a little less than half of the space it occupies at the current moment. I'd like to get it down to say a two or three 8G Dvd's for storage.

Anyhow... keep us up to date on what they are going to do and I do hope that they will at least leak or release the stuff from the Rise of the Triad version of Wolf3d.

Greg
BrotherTank
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:24 pm

So far Id has said no to the release of the Wolfenstein 3d/Spear of Destiny stuff, but I don't see why the wouldn't release the ROTT stuff (as ROTT was not an Id game). I'll keep everyone posted.

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:29 pm

I have the Wolf 3D Beta Version. To run it, the system needs to be reset 10 01/01/1992. Unfortunately, it no longer works. Has anyone 'Fixed' this? or how do you get it to run? Are the alpha/betas posted for download anywhere?

Thank you.

James
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:51 pm

Blacklion62 wrote:
To run it, the system needs to be reset 10 01/01/1992.
Sounds like you have a "trial" version, like the Japanese Demo that stops working after being run a certain period of time. Remnants of this code still exist in both the Wolf4SDL code as well as the original Wolf3D code release.

Quote:
or how do you get it to run?
I'd try to delete the config file and see if that gets things working.

If even DOS Box refuses to run the demo, I'd try give VirtualBox a try. You can install FreeDOS on it legally and free of charge, but you may have problems finding the proper drivers for the soundcard.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:11 pm

Was there anything different on this demo/trial? And what is this about the Japanese version? I've heard of there also being a Spanish and French version as well (and German, but it wasn't licensed by Id).

Blacklion62 wrote:
Are the alpha/betas posted for download anywhere?

James, firstly I'd like to welcome you to the DHW forums, I hope you'll stick around!

Now, there are no alphas/betas of Wolf 3d released besides the shareware alpha version. Read above the last few post (the post right above BrotherTank's post) it has a post by me where I'll tell you all about it. The other alpha/betas have not been released, and most likely will never be released. BUT Romero did just recently release some unseen Doom graphics to celebrate Doom's 21st after rediscovery of the lost computers used to make these games. There's a chance we might see some stuff this May.

For more info on that.. go here:
http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=6965

Now that I think about it, I probably could've just posted that on this topic in the first place, and not make it a separate one.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:32 pm

OT -

gerolf wrote:
Now that I think about it, I probably could've just posted that on this topic in the first place, and not make it a separate one.
Maybe my opinion is in the minority, but I think there's enough difference in these topics that I'd hesitate in combining the two. I'm sure there are legitamite arguments on the opposite side of this issue, so I won't contest if the majority of the other moderators take the opposing side. Smile
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:58 am

The version Blacklion62 has is a bit newer. I changed the beta date to 13/32/9999 and unlocked Episodes 2 and 3 in it (test).
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:13 am

Sorry for the bump, but I hadn't seen the latest post yet. That's really interesting to see some of the earlier artwork and whatnot. I would love to check out this version and add it to my list of comparisons.

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:38 am

BrotherTank wrote:
Personally, I would love to get hold of the "Rise of the Triad" stuff that used the original Wolf3d spec and source code. If they have the vswap, and the other vga files, those would be ok as well as we have the tools for extracting information from those files seeing as they used the same specs as the Wolf3d we love. The music would be nice to have, along with the map files.

I agree.
Cyanosis
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 34
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:39 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Isn't there only like one mod that tries to replicate the original ROTT?

This one: http://www.moddb.com/mods/wolfenstein-3d-part-2-rise-of-the-triad

No idea if it's any good or not.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: