DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

"Team RayCast" seeks experienced community mapper
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 104
israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:21 pm
   Subject: "Team RayCast" seeks experienced community mapper
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

"Team RayCast" has been on a modding halt for quite some time now (since February 2017 I'd say) with next mod development paused (my recent BoA involvement has some part in it, but is not the main reason by far, just totally legit personal life issues of one core team member who is an amazing modder and has done so much for the team so far - hopefully to return in the future).
This is very unfortunate as many would say and we were a team which pushed Wolf3D modding boundaries in memorable mods.

If you like "Team RayCast" and what TR has done so far, if you are ready to be a "team player" (and not "lone modder"), if you're (proven) good in oldschool mapping and want to try more advanced engines/mapping - PM me or write here.
Obviously I'm a bit picky here to keep team's modding quality, and so I want an established/experienced community mapper.
Oldschool mapping experience is enough as long as you are ready to also try/learn something new and advanced. We even have oldschool mod option as well in development if that would be a more comfortable start before jumping deep into advanced engines.

Thank you all in advance. Hope we can revive "Team RayCast" and keep the mods coming, including big sequel mod which development was stopped mid-way.
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:00 am
   Subject: Re: "Team RayCast" seeks experienced community mapper
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I keep puzzling with the idea of returning to Wolfenstein modding alongside what I'm doing right now. I'm not 100%, but let's say I'm interested in the prospect (and I would certainly like to make up for my "flaky-ness" from the last time I was offered to map for Team Raycast).

Just be aware that what I'm working on right now has to take priority; though I've severely reduced my workload (from 24 of a thing to 4 of a thing), so it shouldn't be too hard to find time to make some maps.

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
Sigma64
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:20 am

I finally fixed the bugs in my mod, and therefore I have some extra time on my hands. I don't officially have any documented maps, but I could share some for the purpose of this discussion. I would like to be a help, but by the same token, I have no desire to get under anyone's feet, if I am not considered of enough experience.

DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:26 am

Metalor wrote:
I'm not 100%, but let's say I'm interested in the prospect

Thanks pal Smile
Yes, your last attempt in joining TR went...flaky, as you say yourself.
But with more free time available now you can sure try to make it right this time.

Developing a mod is not just about "making maps" though - we need someone to visit the dev. forum quite regularly to discuss and develop ideas that get us to that "maps list".
What new coding features needed, what themes and settings to make, what new art is needed, enemies, scenery, what works and what doesn't. It's ongoing discussion, we try to pre-plan as much as we can before mapping (to avoid remapping), but still, things are getting discussed and added along the way as well.
Most of those art and coding demands usually (and rightly so) come from mappers who see what they have and what they need added, what works and what's not.
So it's not only "outsourcing" mapping tasks, it's being a team member - list your coding/art needs, discuss those, selecting settings....

Do you still have your TR forum password?

Last edited by doomjedi on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:43 am

I should still have everything I need. Though, it will take me a bit to re-introduce myself to Wolf modding as a whole. As far as needing things for mapping, I'm used to working with limitations (that's one of Wolfenstein's charms, isn't it?) But I suppose I can adapt to the Team Raycast way.

I'll probably visit the Team Raycast forum later today to re-acquaint myself with it's facilities. See whether or not I want to fully commit or not.

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
Military
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 20

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:29 pm

I'd be happy to do some mapping with an advanced engine (and I could see myself partaking in other creative aspects too, why not), though my portfolio is not super impressive, I guess... the best thing I have to show off would be level 8 of the latest Monthly Mapping Contest, I think (and that one also uses non-traditional mapping features).

I recall that you weren't really impressed by the maps of mine that you played, but you also recognized my potential. So maybe you'd be interested in my participation.

Plus I have a lot of free time usually, so there's that.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:57 am

Metalor wrote:
I should still have everything I need. Though, it will take me a bit to re-introduce myself to Wolf modding as a whole. As far as needing things for mapping, I'm used to working with limitations (that's one of Wolfenstein's charms, isn't it?) But I suppose I can adapt to the Team Raycast way.

I love limitations too, thew more the better, that's why Keen modding is so charming Smile

Limitations are part of our modding as well (though to lesser extent as LinuxWolf can code in ANYTHING). We use ChaosEdit for mapping and it has many limitations itself, mainly for objects number but not only. Other limitations come from arting complexity (I can't make all new 8dir enemies from scratch I have to use existing artbases), desired framerate, mapping comfort, from wanting the mod to look like advanced Wolf3D mod and not like primitive Doom mod...etc.

Quote:
I'll probably visit the Team Raycast forum later today to re-acquaint myself with it's facilities. See whether or not I want to fully commit or not.

Sure. come in Smile

Sigma64 wrote:
I finally fixed the bugs in my mod, and therefore I have some extra time on my hands. I don't officially have any documented maps, but I could share some for the purpose of this discussion. I would like to be a help, but by the same token, I have no desire to get under anyone's feet, if I am not considered of enough experience.

Thank you for the help offer. I don't know your mapping much, I'd prefer someone with some experience at least in community mappacks with well-received maps there.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:05 am

Military wrote:
Plus I have a lot of free time usually, so there's that.

Free time is very valuable resource on our team, as love for advanced engines. 2 good points for you here.
I would like to see what our original mapper has to say, his preferences, he understands in mapping more than I do.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:55 am

We're still lacking active mapper for the project.
And there are still plenty of active mappers in the community.

Is there no experienced mapper in the community who is willing to work on advanced TR mods?
Maybe Wolf3D modding teams are not in style of retro communities. Lone wolves?
I understand it's cooler to have your own project, fully in your control and work on it at your own pace...but isn't it cool to join sometimes bigger teams to produce larger-scale mods for the community?
Is it the complexity of non-oldschool mapping?
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:23 am

Sounds like it's time to post screenshots of the mod and it's general environment and mapping features and what it's about. Imagine if someone actually loved the idea but didn't participate because you haven't given enough information, they would probably be pissed afterwards about your "secretiveness". Not sharing your ideas could be considered being a "Lone Wolfer".

Spill it! Start a new thread showing what this mod has so far and what it still needs. Or enjoy the silence... probably. Very Happy
serpens
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:33 am

I can, at the very least, assure any hesitating candidates that participating in the development of Green Arrow was a superb experience. I still appreciate the opportunity to play with an advanced engine and my teammates were creative, always quick to respond and a pleasure to work with.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:52 am

Thank you so much, Serpens, I was a pleasure to work with you as well, you were quick to learn too. Indeed - advanced engines has their own charm (but challenge as well), not in expense of more classic mods, I think community needs some more advanced TCs as well. To push the limits, to invoke imagination, to surprise.

Chris, I understand what you're saying and I can rely to that in a way and sure respect such an approach. Modders work on inspiration and prefer to jump on a project that is not a "cat in a bag" but something that inspired them to join.

That said (and again with full respect to that) - Team RayCast works differently, it's a private development, where we announce a mod publically only when release date is set (especially new mods, not sequels). Not to put any sort of judgement on those who prefer other ways of modding, a more public approach (that has its own merits - of larger feedback and pool of ideas to take from) - Team RayCast development changed since Sonder hype. Not only because I later had to cancel the mod and so looked bad in community eyes after all the hype - hype in general is needless showoff in my eyes. Not only one can become more busy (and/or feeling obligated) with posting screenshots of every enemy and room of the mod - than doing (or on expense of) actual modding (where you feel the need to constantly show progress and even fake it if needed or needlessly spam the related thread to keep it alive) - it's also puts you in additional unfair competition - not only with other mods but also expectations of your mod, something real mod can fail to meet (and nothing beats imagination). We do make external testing as the end to get a more objective community feedback - but fully public development can bring many sorts of pressure and over-feedback, and sometimes you can't resist trying to please everyone in expense of your mod losing vision and direction you intended for it and becoming a mixed "community wishlist". Or people stealing ideas mid-way for their mods making yours less unique when it comes out.
We also obviously believe that mods are all about surprises and discovery, and spoiling it - is making the mod being "lamer".
Announcing is taking a sort of obligation as well, it always feels worse to cancel announced mod than private one.

I'd be better for the community if people would announce less and release more, but I respect other approaches as well, I sure can understand that modding community needs to "feel alive" and without announcing projects - forums look more "dead", so we need to feel modding is boiling here Smile

Again, I fully realize noone wants a "cat in a bag", but I assumed - related to "Team RayCast" - most should know by now the kind of mods we usually make and so can decide if you want to be part of something in that direction/scale.
We usually make big TCs, with some special love to DC Comics-based mods.
http://www.moddb.com/company/team-raycast

Serpens joined without knowing that particular project (AFAIR) and still had fun apparently.

I understand it's a right of a person to know what he is joining. Also I understand that it can look too...self-assured to ask someone to join just "because it's TR, dude".
So if someone likes our previous works, mods, and has general interest to work/mod with us (in non-oldschool but more realistic mapping style in advanced engine)- he can PM me to ask about the theme of a particular mod (not in a too spoilery way). So he can decide.
PM is a different thing, if kept private.
But I won't post mod's details on a public thread like this one. You don't have to justify such approach, just respect how our team decided to work.
insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 85
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:30 pm

I would enjoy mapping, but I don't feel I have the skill/knowledge to craft challenging maps. Perhaps it all depends on the materials presented, my creativity might have more room to grow.

New Site: http://www.treesapthief.com
Twitter: @treesapthief
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:58 am

Thank you for your interest and honesty.

Things that are related to more advanced engine and realistic mapping can be learned fast if a person is willing, we also have Ron for support.
But indeed, at least with oldschool mapping basics - create challenging yet balanced maps (enemy balance and placing/health/ammo/secrets) of various difficulty etc - we need someone who feels those are covered by his skills/experience, feeling at home there.

Regarding mapping ideas - additional coding features can give those to him, do not worry. We have alot of cool stuff for a mapper to craft with and the mod is also at the stage where you can have major influence on the plot and related ideas - such that can inspire. On our team mappers drive alot of the project - feature and art requests, plot - to keep coming with interesting maps.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:10 pm

I have always been under-qualified when it came to mapping for Team RayCAST projects. Dean and RonWolf always did a far better job following the requests of its coordinator, yet they still delivered far more innovative maps and better atmosphere than I was ever able to pull off. They seem to offer a type of thinking I'm just not very good at. Kudos to them for all the work they've provided for the Team, and any they might deliver in the future. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:33 am

I tried mapping myself a few times - now I respect mapping even more, it's alot of work.
Some of those maps got being released - but only after revisiting by Ron/Dean.
One cannot learn to balance maps and place enemies in a challenging way in a day, good idea for the level is not enough.

Sometimes, with lack of active mappers I think for myself to try to map myself - but really, there is no shortcuts in becoming a good mapper. Also I enjoy art more, and people should focus on their passions and talents.

Last edited by doomjedi on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:05 pm

I took quite a while before I spawned anything decent. It helped that I designed several levels for Lode Runner before dipping into Wolf3D maps.
insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 85
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:08 pm

Since I've started modding Wolf3D, I've run into the common issue of thinking too big, and not getting anywhere. I have to work my way up from small to get better.

If I have a theme and an idea, I think I could create interesting maps. Puzzles that provide challenge, though, those are super tough to do.

I would still love to contribute, even one map, to a Raycast game. Even if it was rejected, I'd get feedback to improve. That's what I mostly look to.

New Site: http://www.treesapthief.com
Twitter: @treesapthief
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:34 am

I love your honesty and will to learn. I appreciate your interest being part of Team RayCast.

I myself would add you to our project. I want to get first a blessing from other team members though.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:40 am
   Subject: "Team RayCast" seeks experienced community mapper
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

You have been approved to join the Team Beer Beer
Register our forum and we'll go on from there.

If you have DropBox, PM me your email.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: