DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolfenstein Intensifies (an almost vanilla ECWolf mod)
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Military
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 21

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:25 am
   Subject: Wolfenstein Intensifies (an almost vanilla ECWolf mod)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I made this mod as a small break from the more complex stuff, and it took me three weeks. It was meant to be totally vanilla, but the ease of implementing extra stuff in ECWolf was too tempting, and on a number of occasions I had to stop myself from making the mod too complex. So, here's what the mod is about:

• The storyline of the main trilogy compressed to 9 levels, + 2 secret levels. That means at least three bosses...
  • The first three levels are almost 100% shareware style. The levels 4 to 6 are dirty brick and mutants, but also introduce some officers and grey walls later on. The final three levels look closer to nocturnal missions than to episode 3. On the secret levels, anything goes, but they're still reminiscent of some classic Wolfenstein levels.
  • As the title implies, this mapset might get pretty challenging.
  • Since you begin imprisoned, you don't even have a gun initially. Fortunately, there are pistol pickups if you end up having to restart...
  • There are a few more code changes, but I think I'm going to keep them secret...

Here are some screens:

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:43 am
   Subject: Re: Wolfenstein Intensifies (an almost vanilla ECWolf mod)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The gun is too low (or too small?) in fullscreen mode in ECWolf. You're kind of shooting at their feet. I would probably disable fullscreen completely in the exe because of this. The purple ammo looks nice, almost reminds of games like Alleycat in CGA - lol.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 187

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Agree with the full screen thing; though I personally never use full screen. I like having the status bar... The look of this mod though! Purple ammo boxes... & of course the cool green re-colored sandstone. Yeah, definitely going to play this now.

If there's a teal ammo box in here somehow my heart's gonna melt.
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:17 pm

Chris wrote:
The gun is too low (or too small?) in fullscreen mode in ECWolf. You're kind of shooting at their feet. I would probably disable fullscreen completely in the exe because of this. The purple ammo looks nice, almost reminds of games like Alleycat in CGA - lol.

The gun being too low is an unavoidable consequence of the vanilla sprites. ECWolf does not alter existing Wolf3D assets in its resource pk3, not even to fix things like the static B.J. intermission portrait in GT/Activision/Steam 1.4, because doing so can cause headaches for modders down the road (just ask people who play old Dehacked mods in ZDoom). If the modder wishes, they can make extended versions of the default Wolf3D weapons and create new weapon classes without "weapon.yadjust 19" in the properties.

It's certainly not worth removing a feature that other mods that don't use the vanilla Wolf3D weapons (check out Operation Serpent--if you go fullscreen you see more of the weapon, just like in Doom or other FPS games) could use, just because the original game developers didn't really think of it when designing their art assets.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 20
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:29 pm
   Subject: Wolfenstein Intensifies (an almost vanilla ECWolf mod)

Dope. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Just played the first level of this. The mapping is very well done and conjures a nice classic Wolfenstein atmosphere while never feeling derivative. A few issues though:

* The pistol sprite seems out of place and kind of ugly. I'd recommend using the pistol from the main menu instead.
* The pistol's behavior where you can't pick up a pistol if you have 99 ammo is inconsistent with the other weapons. I'd recommend either applying +ALWAYSPICKUP to the pistol, or creating replacement classes for the machine gun and chaingun without +ALWAYSPICKUP, so they all behave the same way.
* I don't like the use of the cross's sound effect for the ammo box and the cross being given the AdLib sound of a guard. I'd instead recommend extracting the ammo box sound from Spear of Destiny using WDC and importing it into your .wad file to use. You can define an AdLib sound in SNDINFO like this:

::: CODE :::
misc/mysound { NULL ALMYSND NULL }

Another thing to note is that sprites in Wolfenstein aren't aligned like sprites in Doom. Wolfenstein sprites have their lower edge exactly at floor level, Doom sprites are sunken into the floor a few pixels for a depth effect. SLADE and most other wad/pk3 editors use Doom's method for auto-aligning, which when mixed with Wolfenstein's sprites, leads to effects like this:

Consider adjusting the alignment so the sprite's lower edge is exactly level with the floor to prevent this.

Topics: 1

brazil.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:29 pm

Nice challenging levels, though I'll have to agree that the sound replacements are a bit annoying.
Military
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:23 am

Somehow it never occurred to me that the menu cursor would make a perfect pistol pickup sprite. Thanks Executor!

I like my new sounds, but I guess the default ones would fit well with a vanilla style mod.

I updated the download, the new version has fixed sprite alignments, replaced pistol sprite, default cross pickup sound, ammo box using the SOD sound and pistol pickup using the ammo clip sound.

Last edited by Military on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
LkMax

Topics: 1

brazil.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:49 pm

The updated download links to an irrelevant pdf?
Military
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:36 am

I apparently clicked the wrong share link in Mediafire without double checking. The valid download is present in the first post, and now I'm gonna edit the other post too.
Military
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:48 am

So, did anyone play through the whole thing yet? I'd be interested in your thoughts on my mapping.
Ginyu
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

france.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 am

Sorry, I have never managed to run ECwolf on my laptop, i have no idea where it goes wrong. Sad
Aryan_Wolf3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:34 am

I haven't got round to playing this yet either... But I love the 3rd screenshot from the top, because it reminds me of the 2nd room in the original E1L8, which has always been my favourite.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:41 am

I haven't played this yet but it's next on my list. I will post my thoughts here once I do.

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 64

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:09 am

Played the first two levels. Excellent vanilla Episode 1 feel here. I really like the devious enemy placement and room shapes.

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks for the feedback! I made sure the hard difficulty provided a good amount of challenge. Did you play the secret level too?
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:35 am

Question: did you introduce any code changes affecting Mutants? They seem to be even harder to fight than usual in this mod. Can't even properly stunlock them because some of my shots just seem to miss, even if the Mutant is coming at me in a straight line. Not sure if this is something about this mod, something specific to ECWolf, or I simply forgot how dangerous these bastards are in the first place. So many save/loads...

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 165
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:53 am

Military wrote:
Somehow it never occurred to me that the menu cursor would make a perfect pistol pickup sprite.
It's an old idea; I've seen it floating around in numerous Wolf3D mods for many years. Doesn't it appear in the MMC mapset mods, too?
Sigma64
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 10
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:14 pm

If I recall correctly, it was used in the original "Beyond Wolfenstein", so it's been aroud since the the late-1990s or the early 2000s.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Sigma64 wrote:
If I recall correctly, it was used in the original "Beyond Wolfenstein", so it's been aroud since the the late-1990s or the early 2000s.
I wouldn't rule that out; that mod was before my entry into the Wolf3D modding scene. Geek
Military
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:18 pm

serpens wrote:
Not sure if this is something about this mod, something specific to ECWolf, or I simply forgot how dangerous these bastards are in the first place. So many save/loads...

Maybe it's an ECWolf thing, but it might as well just be a mutant thing. They have literally zero delay between aiming and firing - ridiculously unfair. Also, I think I might've just used the mutants in too annoying ways, especially on levels 5 and 6... I think I've developed quite a bit as a mapper since releasing this mod, and learned how to make levels challenging in more sophisticated ways than they are in this mod... here I tried too hard without really getting it, and ended up adding tons of enemies instead of just preventing the player from door-camping, and shoved ambushing officers in every corner. There are so many moments in this mod where an encounter would be less tedious and more exciting if I only added more than one exit door to a room with enemies... but there's still plenty of cool moments in this mod, I think.

serpens wrote:
Can't even properly stunlock them because some of my shots just seem to miss, even if the Mutant is coming at me in a straight line.

I think that Wolf 3d also has an artificial "miss chance" present even if you aim correctly, so that might be it, especially if you're not very close.

serpens wrote:
Question: did you introduce any code changes affecting Mutants?

I did not, but now that you say it, that could be a good idea. I could make them more like the Mutant SS in my latest mod, stun-proof but needing some time to aim. That would be challenging but fair, unlike the luck-based challenge of instantly shooting Mutants.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Military wrote:
Also, I think I might've just used the mutants in too annoying ways, especially on levels 5 and 6... I think I've developed quite a bit as a mapper since releasing this mod, and learned how to make levels challenging in more sophisticated ways than they are in this mod... here I tried too hard without really getting it, and ended up adding tons of enemies instead of just preventing the player from door-camping, and shoved ambushing officers in every corner.

Partially true. While certain encounters could have been handled better and corner ambushes can get annoying, the enemy hordes often work out better than you might have expected. I was often forced to backtrack and reposition myself or go grab some resources, whereupon enemies would spill out of the room and attack from multiple directions. There were a few places where camping at the doorway was the best possible choice, but fighting was generally cool and fun. I think this is the only mod where, out of desperation, I stabbed a boss to death!

Other than combat, I also enjoyed how extensive and well laid out the maps are, and how they're interconnected by secrets. In fact, extensive and meaningful secrets might be the best aspect of this mod. Looking for secrets can be a chore in Wolfenstein, but here, exploring them is a lot of fun. There are also flaws, like some areas are underdecorated and others have irregular shapes that just don't feel right in a castle, but the negatives never outweight the positives.

As for mutants, guess you're right and I just forgot how bad they actually are. It's a paradox, really - everyone knows how annoying they can be to fight, but Eisenfaust is so iconic and memorable, you feel obligated to use them anyway. The mutant SS is a better adversary all things considered.

DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 10
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:38 pm

@Tricob: I've only been on the modding scene for 3 years at most, but I had to find a copy of Beyond Wolfenstein when I heard that ID had shut it down. Beer If I recall correctly, it was used in duplicate for the "dual-pistols" pickup sprite; the single pistols weren't present.

@Military: As for some input; it was quite a fun mod, having played this a while ago. I enjoyed playing some new maps with that old vibe to them; it made the experience quite enjoyable.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:45 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Military wrote:
serpens wrote:
Can't even properly stunlock them because some of my shots just seem to miss, even if the Mutant is coming at me in a straight line.

I think that Wolf 3d also has an artificial "miss chance" present even if you aim correctly, so that might be it, especially if you're not very close.
The way it works, the amount of damage can equal Zero, but the enemies would still be temporarily stunned. The farther away you are from the enemy though, the more likely the shot will be declared by the game as a miss. As it says in the code comments - accuracy diminishes with range (WL_AGENT.CPP).
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: