DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Kurlandfront SDL TC Released!
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tris
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 3
austria.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:34 pm
   Subject: Kurlandfront SDL TC Released!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Kurlandfront
A Wolfenstein 3D SDL Total Conversion
by Tristan & ronwolf1705

Watch the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jckAAsKYj7g
Get the game here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/kurlandfront/

Welcome to the Kurlandfront!

B.J.'s at it again - this time in Kurland, German-occupied Latvia.
Here he must seek out Hans Grosse and his henchmen and stop them from launching the Nazi invasion of Great Britain.
Are you up to the task? You will travel through 15 levels of mayhem featuring icy snowcaves, dark dungeons, cosy
officer clubs and - ultimately - Hans' lair.

After 3 years of development, Kurlandfront is now complete and uploaded for you to enjoy.
Instructions are provided in the user manual (both in PDF and TXT format) in the zip file.

Update 26th November 2018:
Kurlandfront 1.1 has been released including all bugfixes in the levels.
Two versions: Kurlandfront v1.1 full version and the mapfix update (GAMEMAPS separately).
Get your copy now at https://www.moddb.com/mods/kurlandfront/downloads.

Enjoy!

Have fun playing!

Regards,
Tristan
ronwolf1705

Last edited by Tris on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 73

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:25 pm
   Subject: Re: Kurlandfront SDL TC Released!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Nice trailer, hadn't seen that one yet! Congrats on the release Smile
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:21 am

Great trailer Cool And now to start the game....
Sigma64
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 10
canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:39 pm

It looks great! I can't wait to have some free time! Very Happy

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 165
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:11 pm

I enjoy what I've gotten through so far. Of course, if I'd just use saved games, I'm bound to get farther than a few feet without getting killed. Smile
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:08 am

Hi all! It's been a while. Decided to give this mod a go today since it's been too long since I've played some Wolf 3d. Gotta say, what I've seen so far is quite impressive.

However, I do have one note to go over:
As the game is, it is impossible for the player to achieve a 100% treasure ratio as one of the treasure items was mistakenly placed inside of a wall inside of the area where the player acquires the Gold Key.

Other than that, this mod's been a nice shot in the arm. Maybe when I'm finally finished with what I've been up to, I can get Wolf modding back into my schedule.

-EDIT-
I continued through level 2 and found two secrets in the area leading up to the exit that cannot be accessed because there is a vase in front of one and a flagpole in front of the other. (In case there's confusion: I checked these levels with ChaosEdit when I couldn't find the secrets, even after scouring the level for them). The mod is still good overall though. It's pretty grey-t!. Very Happy

...But I'll be back, you can count on it!
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:47 am

Thanks for letting us know Metalor, we'll fix it! Smile
CrossDressiNate

Topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:35 pm

I'm on level 4-5 so far and I'm loving it. I'm always a sucker for mods that use RTCW sounds, though I do feel as if the mauser sound for the pistol is a little strange, it sounds great from a far, but when you get shot point blank the sound always throws me off because i know exactly where the sound is from.
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:33 pm

I've made it up to level 7. Level 4 was a b***h, but otherwise things have stayed interesting. The problems with levels 1~2 haven't resurfaced, so it's been pretty good all around.

-EDIT-
Just finished level 7, and I have to give some criticism: the small passage before the exit elevator with flames inside is impossible to cross on the highest difficulty setting. The player's health drains far too fast for them to be able to survive standing in them for less than a second, let alone the amount of time it would take to run across the passage and open the door and wait for the door to open. Because of this, I literally had to cheat in order to finish the level (God Mode). I'd cut those flames out entirely and then the level should be good to go imo.

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 165
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:36 pm

ronwolf1705 wrote:
Thanks for letting us know Metalor, we'll fix it! Smile
Has the fix been uploaded? The version for download is still listed as Version 1.0.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:09 pm

Metalor wrote:
-EDIT-
Just finished level 7, and I have to give some criticism: the small passage before the exit elevator with flames inside is impossible to cross on the highest difficulty setting. The player's health drains far too fast for them to be able to survive standing in them for less than a second, let alone the amount of time it would take to run across the passage and open the door and wait for the door to open. Because of this, I literally had to cheat in order to finish the level (God Mode). I'd cut those flames out entirely and then the level should be good to go imo.

No need to cheat, you need to alarm the guard in the elevator and then kill him inside the door so you can run towards. Will hurt, but won't kill you.

Quote:
Has the fix been uploaded?

Nope. I've sent an update to Tris, it's up to him to update the files.
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Hmmm, I dunno about that, I recall running through one of the flames with full health, and coming out the other side with 30 (Granted the damage taken seems to vary, but still). As for alerting the guard, I never would ahve guessed there was one. Honestly, I usually approach areas one room at a time unless there are guards I can immediately see in the connecting areas. But then again, in all this, who am I to talk? I made one of the hardest Wolfenstein Mods ever made, I suppose I deserve a good pass in the flames.

Beasides all that, I've beaten up to level 11. Trans was an interesting fight. I also noticed the mapper seemed to love using SS guards. I was legitimately surprised when I stumbled upon an officer in the first part of the level on floor 6.

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 am

Metalor wrote:
Hmmm, I dunno about that, I recall running through one of the flames with full health, and coming out the other side with 30 (Granted the damage taken seems to vary, but still). As for alerting the guard, I never would ahve guessed there was one. Honestly, I usually approach areas one room at a time unless there are guards I can immediately see in the connecting areas. But then again, in all this, who am I to talk? I made one of the hardest Wolfenstein Mods ever made, I suppose I deserve a good pass in the flames.

Beasides all that, I've beaten up to level 11. Trans was an interesting fight. I also noticed the mapper seemed to love using SS guards. I was legitimately surprised when I stumbled upon an officer in the first part of the level on floor 6.

The damage does indeed vary, it's why that first room is loaded with health. Very Happy

RE: level 11, we actually divided the levels in sections (with a focus on particular guards in some) and those couple of levels are really SS-heavy indeed!
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:50 am

@Metalor lol, figures that Level 4 is the FIRST LEVEL I randomly chose to try out. I guess I'll keep that in mind...

Also Level 4 itself has quite a few non-SS.

DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:25 am

When I mentioned the use of SS guards, I meant overall. But the levels leading to the first boss definitely had way more SS in them than the prior levels.

@MrWolfForever The biggest thing I'd attribute the difficulty to was the wide-open areas. Because of this, I found on multiple cases where there would be a large, open area and many guards alerted inside and they'd find their way to a door and alert even more. Also, to whomever's credit, level 5 wasn't a cakewalk either for many of the same reasons. This is just one of the pitfalls when working with classic Wolf.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:03 am

Just played through level 11. Three things I should mention:
1. There are no secrets on this level, so it is impossible for players to receive a 100% secrets score.
2. In the startng area, there's a guard stuck in a wall, which may explain why I was unable to acheive a 100% kill ratio (I'm uncertain if the guard actually emerged from the wall, though I doubt it).
3. Less serious and probably not an issue, but still sloppy mapping imo: in the wooden area leading to the silver key, there's an object (I think a potted plant) placed inside of a wall. It's in a corner wall wedged between two other pots, so it won't affect gameplay, but still, it was a bit disconcerting to see when scouring for map details.

-EDIT-
Found an inaccessible secret area on floor 12 in the wooden area beyond the Gold Key door. The pushwall is blocked by a suit of armor.

And I'd also like to say that I hope I'm not coming off as too hyper-critical at this point. I only bring these errors up at all because I check the map editor whenever I don't get a 100% in a category and I'm certain that I've scoured the map over. However I must commend the placement of the other secret in the wooden area on floor 12, before the dining/living space room. I would've never thought to check that spot for a secret. Bravo! Beer

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:28 am

No worries Metalor, it's alright. Tristan, you sloppy bastard! Laughing We'll fix it asap.

What do you think of the mod overall so far? Smile
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm certainly enjoying myself (though also probably cursing myself to an extent for playing on Hard). The mod is very grey though, so it can get a bit boring to look at. But usually the set pieces and action keep it interesting enough that I haven't thought of quitting out of boredom. I personally don't like the graininess of the textures, but that's just a personal preference. Also, I'm a little bugged by the fact that the SS and Officers have their sound clips switched between one-another. But overall the experience has been memorable and enjoyable. A definite 8/10.

Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 pm

Hooboy, level 13 was, well:
Level 13 was miserable, I HATED this level. Now after playing through it, and looking at the map editor, it makes sense why this level was so terrible. To start, this level was the first in the set that I actually experienced glitches in. Mostly it would involve guards in rooms being "locked in" until I went through the process of opening one of the doors leading to that room, in which case any guards in that room could emerge as they pleased (this continued up until the last room, in which, after I opened the gold door, the officers behind the silver door immediately proceeded to open it and come through). I also experienced wave after wave of going into a room, and clearing it as I normally would, and then suddenly guards in the neighboring rooms would be alerted, slogging my progress and often leading to me being overwhelmed. Now normally during most levels that I played through, this was typical behavior if guards had multiple ways to reach their target, but on this one, the guards would alert 3~4+ rooms of enemies even though each room had it's own floorcode. I even contemplated and eventually did cheat just to progress, but then restarted to a point of before cheating to complete the level as intended. Still, the fact that cheating was a desirable means for progressing really hurt my enjoyment for this level. Anyways I finally finished the level (and for some reason, 3 of the officers in the last room were already dead; I hadn't shot them, they were just dead in a corner of the room I hadn't even seen yet). Upon examing the map editor for clues, I believe the reason for my continued woes was that in the secret in the wooden room adjacent to the room leading to the double-key doors has a differet floor code than the main floor code of the room it's in (the secret has 7A while the room has 72. And upon further investigation, it looks like that room should have floor code 7A as well, as another room already has floor code 72). From my perspective, this would account for my truly horrible experience with this level as the game can't handle different floor codes separated by a pushwall. Fix that, and the problem should go away and make the level play much better.

-EDIT-
So, after playing level 14, I have to say that this mod is really starting to lose me in the home stretch. Honestly, for this level in particular, I began questioning if it had even been playtested. For one: the starting area spiral is just brutal, especially if you play pistol start. Then, the level doesn't have any floor codes implemented to speak of, meaning the Mutant replacement guards will swarm throughout the level, making progress seem overwhelmingly impossible (it's hard to get one's bearings when ~60 Mutants and however many officers are bearing down your neck). Granted if this is the intention of the level, then I say it's execution is just a tad poor. Even going in fully supplied (or what I could keep from level 13) this was still an overly hard level because of the sheer number of things to play with, and no real way to get a feeling or flow to properly deal with it or seek refuge. Also interesting is: in the last area before the large exit elevator, there's an Officer that doesn't react to the player. This is because he's placed on a different floor code (floor code 8E) instead of the deaf guard floor code. Honestly, after these last two levels, I'd take back my score of 8/10 and say it's more of a 6.5~7/10. These two levels have just really sullied the experience for me. I'm actually a bit worried for the last level now.

-EDIT #2-
Alright, after finishing level 15, I can safely say that this mod is a solid 7/10. While still bearing some of the problems of the previous two levels, level 15 was nowhere near as concentrated or bad. The only gripe I had with 15 was finding that there were some guards and objects stuck in walls (particularly in the exit room; there are at least 4 guards in the walls and numerous objects in there as well). Also the ending was a bit of a downer, but not all have to be triumphant in the end I suppose. Overall, I'd say maps 5, 7, and 10 were my favorites and levels 4 and 13 were my least favorite. I may return to this mod in the future once these errors have been fixed, but for now, this was an overall satisfying experience.

ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Metalor!
Metalor
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:53 pm

You're welcome. Hopefully the egregious errors I've uncovered can be dealt with before they sour someone else's experience with the mod. First impressions are always the most important.

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 187

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:23 pm

I started playing this mod this afternoon and just finished it. It was a very intensive play, especially the latter levels. Overall I enjoyed the old-school aesthetics in a graphically modernized setting. The animated water graphic was really atmospheric, it felt like you were stranded on an oil rig or were right next to the sea.

Having been a huge fan of Tristan's mapping via The Final Solution I noticed a lot of the same details and ideas, and really enjoyed them. I had no idea that I would be playing brand new levels of his in 2018. Furthermore, in level 12 I felt like I was back playing The Final Solution (v2.0) level 2. The same secret area layouts, the same hallways... I don't know if it was just me. Somewhere I was also reminded of The Final Solution (v3.0) level 9. Also, a lot of the same music from that mod... I like it. It had its own life, its own atmosphere, much like some of the greater mods back then had.

It was tough in places but it never felt ridiculously hard. A good fight is always worth it. A difficult play is what drew me to The Golden Episodes, Spear Resurrection, End of Destiny, Totenkopf etc. People often forget that very tough ordeals were a part of these mods, all of which are considered the best of all time.

The outdoor scenes were very well made, great, atmospheric graphics in snowy trees, bushes and so on. I was especially fond of the water; its animation reminded me of Doom, in terms of the animated frames, but it did not feel out of step with the general mod and WWII atmosphere.

The old-school sentiment I especially felt on the early levels. The first few levels were just amazing and good fun to play, it's always great with mods that are easy to get through, with secret areas that do not seem out of reach, with a weaponry you can relate to and only two keys. You do not necessarily need to walk around the first two levels for ages figuring out just how to get the hell out of there. Very easy to get in to overall. This style of mapping brought back fond memories of The Final Solution, a mod that in my opinion still stands. Has it come out in SDL?

Bugs? Yes, I experienced them. In the selection of graphics; some indoor areas had snowy trees (probably mistaken for vases or plants) and there were a few block items getting in the way of enemies - though I remember this from The Final Solution and even Revival of Memories; so I believe it is more an old-school styling (e.g. Brian Lowe and John Bucksnort used this a lot too) than a bug. The odd frozen guard here and there, and sometimes guards pointed in different directions than what you would expect; again, I have seen this in Brian Lowe sets and feel that Tristan is part of that school as well. This needs to be clear. The rocket launcher's ammo count was shown on the status bar as being that of regular guns; but only fired one rocket each time. Even if I had picked up several rocket launchers. That said, I only used them for bosses and mainly enjoyed the chain gun.

But in short, I had a great deal of fun playing this mod, it has been a long while since I have played anything (four-five months, I think) and six months to the day that I last made a map - I have had that inspiration back. Personally, I could go on about Totengraeber and Schabbs 2000 but the first mod I actually played where I was thrown aback by the mapping was The Final Solution. 15 years ago next month! For a time in my early youth that was just the coolest thing ever. And Tristan's level ideas - as well as story line - has served as a huge inspiration for many years.

Very pleased with Kurlandfront. Even if a bug fix should be in order it can still be played without that much hassle and you can have a ball doing so if you are up for it.

I played on skill 4, and the level 7 exit mentioned earlier in this thread is not impossible as such; if you alert the guard in the elevator, the elevator door is open for you to run straight through the flames and pick up the medkits. Your health is pretty low, though, still... But it can be done.
Robbbert
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks for making this mod. I'll try it out next week.

The waterstained PDF instruction booklet looks very nice.

There's a teeny typo in it though - on page 4/7, in the first paragraph, it says "sat dow" instead of "sat down".

I'll give my feedback of the game when I finish it.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 113
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:51 pm

I'm playing it lately when I can (very busy with my projects), maybe too early to review it.
Art is fantastic, I like the detail and overall sprite quality control and consistency.
Enemies look a bit too big though, or player view too low.

Mapping...not too great and not too bad...

Last edited by doomjedi on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Sigma64
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:23 am

This was a fun and interesting TC. I found it to be not excessively difficult, but certainly fast paced. I enjoyed the various levels, and the graphics were excellent. I particularily enjoyed the usage of both snow and water; I felt that they set the atmosphere quite well.

<B>Moderator</B>

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:41 am

Thanks for all the feedback, guys Smile

Thomas wrote:
The rocket launcher's ammo count was shown on the status bar as being that of regular guns; but only fired one rocket each time. Even if I had picked up several rocket launchers. That said, I only used them for bosses and mainly enjoyed the chain gun.

I couldn't get the second ammo to work, hence I made the concession of losing the rocket launcher after one shot Laughing
Robbbert
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Up to level 9 so far. Not bad. Silver walls and silver uniforms make for a rather monochromitic experience (I like lots of colours). The rain and snow make a good effect, although I thought I saw it snowing inside once.

The fire could do with adding some red and yellow - light brown doesn't really do it for me.

I'm not sure what the mysterious MegaSphere (which is rectangular) does...

The first level was a bit concerning, being instantly surrounded by a dozen guns at the start. I didn't find any secret walls either. After that, it went pretty well.

I should be finished next week.
Tris
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

austria.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:42 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Glad you like it!
In a few days a bugfix will be released, correcting all the noted errors.
Glad you like the manual as well - I wanted it to be reminiscent of the RTCW manual.
Also, not sure if anyone wants it, but feel free to use the resources in the game for your own mods. Smile

Regards,

Tristan

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 2

india.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 pm

i liked this mod. not too hard or too easy. just in correct state of entertainment. design of levels is ok for me but some saying not great. you left the cheat code to work unlike other authors. just tested it to play a level but stopped cheating later. now in 13th stage. you also made secrets little easy to find and there are abundant of ammo /health available everywhere. some authors are so greedy / psycho like that they hide ammo and health in hard to find secret walls or don't provide sufficient ammo / health at all. i don't believe their mods are great though how much they worked hard to design their games. this is a good mod i am playing after many days.
Tris
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

austria.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:34 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

If no other bugs have been spotted, the updated version 1.1 will be uploaded this week.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: