DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

New retro communities/engines
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 108
israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:47 am
   Subject: New retro communities/engines
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I'm spending most of my time lately developing a retro racing engine/crafter in C++ (SFML). Struggling much (with fps mainly), as I'm not a good coder at all, but the love for retro racers keeps me on track Smile

The big plan is to try to make an indie game/engine, but in case I'll fail to do that - I plan to at least try then to start a modding community/forum around the engine - for all the retro racing "OutRun"-style lovers. I'm making the engine very craftable, and it sure can be endlessly enhanced by modding community.

Do you think it's possible in our modern days to successfully build modding community around retro-ish engine that was not modded before at all?
Should I even try?
Is retro racing a thing? With some potential modding fanbase?

P.S.
...if someone is a good C++ coder and wants to join...you know my PM. SFML experience is an advantage.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:20 am
   Subject: Re: New retro communities/engines
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I love retro racing games, Test Drive 3, Death Tracks, Stunts, Pit Stop 2, Micro Machines, Grand Prix Circuit, Mario Andretti Racing, Racing Destruction Set, Burnin' Rubber, there was another one for C64 where you could build your own tracks but I forget the name.

It's cool how Outrun has a time limit, which carries on to the next stage. Always thought it would awesome to make a wolf3d mod that did this. The music is pretty cool too, the song Magical Sound Shower seems to even have a Vocaloid following Laughing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdtqEciCjPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzDHNjRgpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcUXpEZOHqE
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:13 pm

I'm a fan of racers and retro racers in particular (always have been, since DOS times and my big love - "Lotus III Ultimate Challenge"), on my retropie on some systems like PS1 and N64 I play only racers (or almost only - N64).
Though full 3D ones are more advanced (3D-wise, not feature-wise) than I had in mind. From modern racers I like "Need for Speed" series the most ("High Pursuit" being arcade best IMO).

My biggest retro inspirations are "Lotus 3 Ultimate Challenge" and "Outrun", but also quite inspiring are retro racer modern remakes like "80s Overdrive" (PC), "Highway Runners" and "Retro Highway" (ios).

I wonder though why retro racing engines never had a modding community (unlike platformers and 2.5 FPS shooters) . There are some basic coding tutorials out there, got to know those quite well, but there is so much modding and indie potential there. It's basically 2.5D pseudo3D, so close in spirit to what we do here.
Blazkowicz3

Topics: 2
brazil.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:47 pm

doomjedi wrote:

I wonder though why retro racing engines never had a modding community (unlike platformers and 2.5 FPS shooters) .

Thats a good question, because the potential in moding that games are huge. Custom tracks, custom cars, custom backgrounds, etc.

Now I will have to google about 'retro racing mods' Laughing

https://www.twitch.tv/blazkowicz3
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Blazkowicz3 wrote:
doomjedi wrote:

I wonder though why retro racing engines never had a modding community (unlike platformers and 2.5 FPS shooters) .

Thats a good question, because the potential in modding that games are huge. Custom tracks, custom cars, custom backgrounds, etc.

Or, much more, "RaceCraft" I'm developing (after much brainstorming and concept forming) is thinking much grand-er. So grand that a professional coder asked for 4200 dollars to code the engine...was too expensive for me so I'm trying myself to do something, as no coder was willing to help for free/part of future profits.

Quote:
Now I will have to google about 'retro racing mods' Laughing

Well, there are none, that's the point of this thread (Cannonball is sort of Outrun port with editor, but not something you can mod as you can only edit/craft tracks but not add new art or code), there are only commercial releases of retro-style racers (and only a few VERY lacking tutorials - with no cliffs, tunnels, crossing traffic, bridges etc...). But no engine source for such was ever released, there is only one javascript tutorial/example (good one, but I lack the will to develop in javascript), one good text tutorial everyone is referring to, and one very basic (no player car, no collisions, no centrifugal, no lanes, no offroad detection etc...) and flawed demonstration in C++ (SFML).
...till my project emerged Smile

Last edited by doomjedi on Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:13 pm

doomjedi wrote:
I wonder though why retro racing engines never had a modding community (unlike platformers and 2.5 FPS shooters) . There are some basic coding tutorials out there, got to know those quite well, but there is so much modding and indie potential there. It's basically 2.5D pseudo3D, so close in spirit to what we do here.
The racing games heyday was actually during the 1980s. To me, Road Blasters took the racing games farther than any of the others; you could have different weapons, different enemy types, and there was even a contest for people who managed to get past Level 50. If wasn't just racing tracks with graphical makeovers (though Outrun did a much better job at this than countless others).

By the time PCs were powerful to do racing games very well, the FPS trend had pretty much taken over. Things like gamepads, joysticks, and computer mice couldn't hold a candle to playing a racing game with an arcade steering wheel, so it's always been hard for PC-based driving games to develop a strong following.

I *have* seen two WIP racing games that had development kits like the what you're talking about. Driver support was lousy, the games weren't even close to stable, and designing tracks was a nightmare. The GUI for designing tracks didn't describe things very well, there were too many things that didn't work, and the kit didn't allow you to load up graphics through external picture files of any kind. Things like curving roads were done diagonally rather than in a smooth circle ... even though Pole Position did it just fine back in the early 1980s.

As you can see, management for these two WIP games wasn't very good, and I'm sure you can do a much better job. I encourage you to give it a go. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:34 am

Quote:
To me, Road Blasters took the racing games farther than any of the others;

This looks very outdated visually and not only...if you look at "80s OverDrive" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rseIooHZ1DE you will see it can be look more modern, with neat modern effects for better look and immersion, not to mention gameplay and world crafting can be endlessly improved.

Quote:
you could have different weapons
Actually was never a fan of mix of shooting and driving. For me driving can be made interesting enough by itself. But I understand it's ...popular and I'm a lone racing purist Smile Not a priority for my engine though.

Quote:
Things like gamepads, joysticks, and computer mice couldn't hold a candle to playing a racing game with an arcade steering wheel, so it's always been hard for PC-based driving games to develop a strong following.
I never played with arcade steering will, and fell in love with those games nevertheless...I think we can make them fun enough with gamepads/keyboard, I play racing games both from PC and from retropie using gamepads. It's about gameplay and craftability.

Quote:
designing tracks was a nightmare.

My intended track designing will be fun and simple. I'm against boring curve-crafting kilometers of track, in RaceCraft concept it's smart scenery and track generation by set of parameters, won't reveal it in more detail for now. There are some key concept details that will make track crafting addicting and easy. My focus in crafting are new themes, settings, scenery and worlds, and not road geometry.
If...I'll be able to code those in with my limited coding skills Smile

Quote:
Things like curving roads were done diagonally rather than in a smooth circle ... even though Pole Position did it just fine back in the early 1980s.

This is easy to solve and improve - in free javascript example it's done the perfect way by "easein" and "easeout" functions.

Quote:
I encourage you to give it a go. Smile

Thank you for your support.
Trust me, concept-wise I'm already much better than the engines you described, but my coding skills...fps is the most struggle for now (manage so far to render only 100 road segments before going below 60 fps), y-clipping cliffs (when road renders from front to back) seems virtually impossible after exhaustive attempts (can go into long detail about that), tunnels, cars, crossing traffic...all seems very challenging.
But the engine is built for crafting from ground up, according to RaceCraft concepts.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 am

doomjedi wrote:
It's about gameplay and craftability.
No disagreement there. Smile

Quote:
Quote:
Things like curving roads were done diagonally rather than in a smooth circle ... even though Pole Position did it just fine back in the early 1980s.

This is easy to solve and improve - in free javascript example it's done the perfect way by "easein" and "easeout" functions.
If I'm not mistaken, such driving games don't map out an entire world like the WIP driving games I saw. Instead, the game deals with - maybe - 8 map squares horizontally, and the game simply draws the tiles from top to bottom at different angles to simulate curves. Under those circumstances, you can actually make the road curve until you would - in real life - go back to an earlier part of the track. But the game still thinks you're closer to the end of the track, so you won't backtrack at all unless you design the game to allow it. Isn't that weird? Smile

Quote:
Trust me, concept-wise I'm already much better than the engines you described, but my coding skills...fps is the most struggle for now (manage so far to render only 100 road segments before going below 60 fps), y-clipping cliffs (when road renders from front to back) seems virtually impossible after exhaustive attempts (can go into long detail about that), tunnels, cars, crossing traffic...all seems very challenging.
But the engine is built for crafting from ground up, according to RaceCraft concepts.
Outrun avoided a lot of these problems by overlapping sprites several times ... and this was done to create mountain environments and everything else. It's easier to spot when you crash in the middle of such spots, as I sometimes do. Embarassed Look at the mountains on the left and right; it's the same rock sprite overlapped several times to imitate the look of a tunnel. You can even spot "gaps" in these mountains if you look at the right times.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:40 pm

Tricob wrote:
Isn't that weird? Smile

It's weird...only 8 segments just...moving right to left for curves? LOL. What visible distance you have with just 8 segments?

Quote:
Outrun avoided a lot of these problems by overlapping sprites several times ...

OutRun was good for it's time, creative, but I don't plan to use such primitive shortcuts for tunnels. None of more modern retro games and remakes use that it seems, it can be rendered just as regular roadside - tunnel is roadside drawn upwards - and cliff - drawn downwards. The biggest issue is to Y-clip it as far segments are drawn after the close ones. It is much harder than it even sounds at first glance, taking into account fps and different segment width of far segment vs close segment, they don't have same width - one close segment needs to clip sometimes 3 far segments, sometimes 5....
Cliffs and tunnels are VERY easy and effortless if you render road back to front (beside fps issues to render polygons not seen), in natural order, but for reasons unknown it brings weird result in both java and cpp engines so far on my attempts with RaceCraft. When car stops (at any point on the track!) everything renders well, when car moves - road becomes transparent and acts weird...this is beyond my understanding. If every single frame renders well, how is driving itself doesn't? Isn't it a collection of such frames? Where the transparency comes from???
Scenery always renders back to front because of Painter's Algorithm. All tutorials render road itself front to back - not to render things not seen - to be able to clip those. But I would prefer to render it back to front, together with the scenery...if I'd make it work.

Lotus III had both tunnels and cliffs, and this is impressive (more impressive when you know how hard it is to do it), it's my inspiration for those.

So far I get 150 road segments top at 60 fps. And this is before I added other cars and cliffs/tunnels. Bottleneck seems to be simple solid polygon rendering functions...which is weird in 2018 on modern comps. I need visible distance of at least 200-300 road segments, so far I render only 150, which is okay if no to have not too high hills. Every segment is 6-8 polygons (I added road sidestrips) - road sides/strips+rumbles+lanemarks+road. Why would it be a problem for the engine??? Java engine rendered them easily in 60 fps.

Tricob, you're experienced coder, maybe you'll take a look at my current engine to see what's wrong there? I can fully comment it for you.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 38
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:24 pm

doomjedi wrote:
Bottleneck seems to be simple solid polygon rendering functions...which is weird in 2018 on modern comps. I need visible distance of at least 200-300 road segments, so far I render only 150, which is okay if no to have not too high hills. Every segment is 6-8 polygons (I added road sidestrips) - road sides/strips+rumbles+lanemarks+road. Why would it be a problem for the engine??? Java engine rendered them easily in 60 fps.

What are you using to render them? If you're using a software renderer, it'll be very CPU bound (and if you're using 32-bit colour at a high resolution, probably also bound by the speed of the PCI-E bus).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:01 pm

doomjedi wrote:
Tricob wrote:
Isn't that weird? Smile
It's weird...only 8 segments just...moving right to left for curves? LOL. What visible distance you have with just 8 segments?
Vertically, you can have a lot more than eight segments maximum, but you can have the engine change the amount of visible squares ahead by the road's "contents". Pole Position - as an example - is much simpler than Outrun by design, it appears - it seems to have the road's map structure called up by one byte for a full horizontal row drawn to the screen. The byte always has a horizontal strip of the road drawn (aside from checkpoints and the Finish Line), so that one byte does other things like telling the road to curve left or right, turn sharply, spawn a sign to the left or right, spawn an oil slick, etc.. Designing the tracks for the game probably didn't take much time because the game engine does most of the work for you.

Quote:
Cliffs and tunnels are VERY easy and effortless if you render road back to front (beside fps issues to render polygons not seen), in natural order, but for reasons unknown it brings weird result in both java and cpp engines so far on my attempts with RaceCraft. When car stops (at any point on the track!) everything renders well, when car moves - road becomes transparent and acts weird...this is beyond my understanding. If every single frame renders well, how is driving itself doesn't? Isn't it a collection of such frames? Where the transparency comes from???

Tricob, you're experienced coder, maybe you'll take a look at my current engine to see what's wrong there? I can fully comment it for you.
I'd have to see this in action before I can make a judgement, but I *might* be able to help you out with the problem if it only needs a simple fix. At any rate, a link to a YouTube video of this would help me a great deal. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:38 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
What are you using to render them? If you're using a software renderer, it'll be very CPU bound (and if you're using 32-bit colour at a high resolution, probably also bound by the speed of the PCI-E bus).

SFML supports OpenGL , and seems to use it for rendering. Sprites render extremely fast, it’s polygon shapes that seem to lag at certain amount. I use ConvexShape SFML for polygons, function combines triangles from central point into a shape.
What does resolution have to do with it? Those are solid-fill-color polygons, no texture (though can be easily added later to those shapes if needed, SFML shape classes support those natively).
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:28 am

doomjedi wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

SFML supports OpenGL , and seems to use it for rendering. Sprites render extremely fast, it’s polygon shapes that seem to lag at certain amount. I use ConvexShape SFML for polygons, function combines triangles from central point into a shape.
What does resolution have to do with it? Those are solid-fill-color polygons, no texture (though can be easily added later to those shapes if needed, SFML shape classes support those natively).

Ah, OK, I believe SFML does indeed use OpenGL for hardware-accelerated 2D, so I'm not sure what the issue would be; it might be worth asking the SFML devs/community for help, because simple polygons should be very fast.

As far as rendering speed goes, resolution matters because it's more pixels that have to be drawn. It's much more of a problem with a software renderer than a hardware one because you're calculating projections and rendering pixels into system memory with the CPU (which is already much slower than a hardware-accelerated projection into VRAM), and then sending the whole frame over the PCI-E bus to the GPU to be shown on-screen (which is very slow in relative terms).
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:33 am

I never knew how to record gameplay, so I still dont. I”ll try to google this up and try to record and post here, both regular rendering order and reverse rendering one weird transparency. References to good free recording software are welcome.

I might get some coding help soon from LinuxWolf...hope so.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:27 am

What OS do you have? I can probably point you to a video recorder, but such things are sensitive to what OS you're using. It probably has something to do with what version of DirectX it uses.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:50 am

Windows 7 Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Okay. The oldest video file recorder I've found requires Windows 8 of all things. I tried installing it to my Windows 7 machine to no avail. The two video recording utilities recommended for this OS are Camtasia and Fraps.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:47 pm

I'd probably recommend either Shadowplay or Relive, depending on the model of your graphics card (NVidia and AMD respectively), as both are provided by the GPU manufacturer (and while I can't speak for Shadowplay, I use Relive myself and it works well). Failing that, OBS is probably the best choice.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:52 pm

I have only onboard Intel card...no special graphics card...anything that can fit?
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:58 pm

Ah, in that case OBS is probably best (Intel support their graphics hardware pretty poorly even at the driver level, let alone providing recording software).
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:45 pm

Thank you, will try it
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:09 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tried to record...but I can't, when I run it parallel to OBS fps drops from 60 to 15-20. Even not during recording itself.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: