DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Orders of DOS-based games
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 164
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:53 am
   Subject: Orders of DOS-based games
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Now that I actually have the money for a change, I was able to order a full version of "Heretic", only I ordered the expanded version, "Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders". IIRC, the original version three-episode version cost about $30. I ordered my 5-episode copy on CD for $10-$11 ... unopened.

This was a long overdue buy; all I had before was the Shareware version, and the only taste I ever got of the commercial version was playing it at my father's house one time ... on a 80386-40 MHz, DOS-based machine. I've never seen Episodes 4 and 5 in any form or fashion, so I'll give my feedback on them whenever it is I've played my way up to them (I always try to play my games in order according to episode).

This covers DOS games I've been wanting to order, but I've had to wait to buy until the prices went down. Anyone else have stories to share about ordering DOS games after Windows OSs were released?
Joshua
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 183

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:46 pm
   Subject: Re: Orders of DOS-based games
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I remember ordering Spear of Destiny Super CD package after I obtained the Activision version on the internet. I ordered it for the hint manuals primarily.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 38
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:33 pm

I tried to order a copy of Ken's Labyrinth and Radix: Beyond The Void in about 1999 (I was 7 at the time); by this point, however, Epic Megagames was long gone, and whoever I sent the letter to (someone at Epic Games, I imagine) wasn't able to help. It was pretty disappointing, but only a few years later Ken's Labyrinth was released as freeware and I found a pirated version of Radix on the internet, so I ended up being able to play them anyway.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:51 pm

"Radix: Beyond The Void" has changed ownership at least twice, and current ownership of the rights to the game have yet to be disclosed to the public. It was designed by Union Logic Software (complete with screenshots), but it was never released by that company (unless every downloadable copy was pulled, which is possible). Instead, Epic Megagames later claimed ownership of it, revamping the engine among other things. Union Logic only released two Shareware games before disappearing from the public eye - "Teen Agent" and "Vinyl: Goddess Of Mars". "Vinyl" in particular was doomed from the start; it used DOS-based music the very same year that Windows 95 came out, and it was very fussy about how much Conventional Memory you had ... a good two years after Doom came out and made Conventional Memory requirements seem obsolete and out-of-touch to modern PC gamers.
Robbbert
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 10

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:55 pm

I have the "Vinyl: Goddess of Mars" series, and while parts 1 and 2 operate on a normal setup ('386 computer with DOS), part 3 requires the computer be clean-booted or it freezes at start. This kind of requirement is silly at best.

Never heard of Radix or Teen Agent... I'll have to see what they are about.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:30 pm

Robbbert wrote:
I have the "Vinyl: Goddess of Mars" series, and while parts 1 and 2 operate on a normal setup ('386 computer with DOS), part 3 requires the computer be clean-booted or it freezes at start. This kind of requirement is silly at best.
Zone 66 has the same problem, also ... at least with the Shareware version I ran. The DOCs of Jazz Jackrabbit 1 also suggest booting your machine this way for smoother, more stable framerates, but the game will still run without doing this.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:36 pm

IIRC at least the full version of Zone 66 didn't require it (although I think it recommended it); it had a bigger issue, though, namely that the second mission was broken and contained an indestructible building that meant you couldn't get story progression past it (I vaguely remember there was a fix that involved copying another level's building locations (but not graphics) over and then blowing up all of the targets using the map, but that's hardly a fix lol).

I remember Wrath Of Earth effectively required a clean boot because it used its own EMS and XMS managers, but it's easily a good enough game to be worth it (although it also has a bug where you have to noclip through an elevator in one level because the switch didn't work).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:20 am

AlumiuN wrote:
IIRC at least the full version of Zone 66 didn't require it (although I think it recommended it); it had a bigger issue, though, namely that the second mission was broken and contained an indestructible building that meant you couldn't get story progression past it (I vaguely remember there was a fix that involved copying another level's building locations (but not graphics) over and then blowing up all of the targets using the map, but that's hardly a fix lol).
I recall hearing the same thing about it, so your memory on this is probably accurate. Smile

Quote:
I remember Wrath Of Earth effectively required a clean boot because it used its own EMS and XMS managers, but it's easily a good enough game to be worth it (although it also has a bug where you have to noclip through an elevator in one level because the switch didn't work).
That's a pretty good game all right, if the YouTube gameplay video is any indicator. But lately, I've been craving games with *less* controls than Wolf3D rather than more, and there's more than one reason for that. I think I'm placing an exception on Heretic because of its medieval/fantasy elements; my current interests have been leaning towards that genre lately.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 17
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:53 am

AlumiuN wrote:

Wrath Of Earth

Very interesting. Does the game have some sort of an automap? The levels appear to be rather extensive.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Got Heretic delivered to me Friday, and it seems Z-Doom is the only thing that runs the game in WINE. Seems to run fine ... at least in my outdated version of Ubuntu. Now to get back to some editing of someone's chapters in some sort of mod ... Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:30 pm

serpens wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

Wrath Of Earth

Very interesting. Does the game have some sort of an automap? The levels appear to be rather extensive.

Yes, and it's worked into the game's mechanics more than most automaps. It appears in the suit's "Search" mode as a small map centered on the player's position, and the suit's "Automap" mode has a bigger, scrollable map; by default the automap logs the player's square and all adjacent squares, but the range at which it does this can be increased at the cost of spending some energy when you move, and there's a "sonar" action in the automap mode that maps out the area currently visible at the cost of a fairly large amount of energy. Perhaps most interestingly is that if the suit's radar takes damage it starts to fail to map every tile it would normally, and if it takes enough it stops being able to do it at all.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:33 pm

Wow. ZDoom runs Heretic well in WINE For Ubuntu, but in Windows 10 on my laptop (and probably all versions of Windows 8), it runs like a snail on Valium. I suspect it's because of changes to DirectX. I had to use gzDoom to get acceptable performance.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:23 pm

IIRC ZDoom only has a software renderer (and is actually no longer updated, with GZDoom being the development focus), and they tend to be pretty slow. At this point there's almost no reason to use it over GZDoom.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:41 am

Many Windows Heretic ports had sound issues with Ubuntu ... no music, no sound effects, or both. I'm aware that many Ubuntu ports exist of Heretic, but I can't get them installed with my currently botched up OS setup.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:57 pm

GZDoom supports Heretic (as well as most, if not all, of the other Doom-based games that were commercially released).
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:32 am

Yes, and it also crashes with an error message in WINE for Ubuntu. It appears to be something involving DirectX, but it's quite vague.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:46 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, ZDoom supports it too. When does GZDoom crash? It's possible that it might be trying to use Directsound and failing; it might be worth changing the config so it uses Fmod or OpenAL if it is.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: