DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Configuring Code::Blocks color scheme
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 100

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:02 pm
   Subject: Configuring Code::Blocks color scheme
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob wrote:
OT -
AlumiuN wrote:
I don't mind 10's UI; the issues I have are more with usability stuff - the control panel and Settings app being separate, and the Control Panel being kind of hidden, the file association system not working properly if any slightly old program tries to change them itself, having to run third-party applications to turn off telemetry, allowing the user extremely limited control over the update system, to the point that it will sometimes just straight up restart the computer when it's still being actively used, and a number of other smaller issues that make it enough of a pain to work with (to the point that when I'm eventually forced to use 10 because of a hardware upgrade, I may end up using it purely for games and dual-booting some flavour of Linux for everything else).

These are the major problems I have with 10. The other two are accidentally changing the file manager settings when no OS older than 8 did so, and the fact that the OS keeps giving bad data to the sound driver. I end up having to put together sound effects on a different computer because I can't get the OS to leave the audio alone. All the hardware is less than a year old, so you can't blame its age.

Tricob wrote:
The Windows 10 GUI was always vastly superior to Windows 8.1; I've used both. But that doesn't make the GUI of Windows 10 good to me. It still has quite a long way to go.

And whether or not the GUI is good, the sound issues are inexcusable.

In newer versions of Windows 10, "Control Panel" is the same as "Settings".

Microsoft wants you to do things the new way.

The only audio issue I've encountered with Windows 10 is that sometimes, opening the "Configure" dialog box without completing the wizard will set the speaker system type to "Stereo" (2 channel), even if you click Cancel, and have a different type selected.

To avoid this, do not use that dialog box to test if sound is working properly. Right-click on the audio device in "Sound Control Panel" and click "Test".

If the OS is giving bad data to the sound driver, that is probably because of audio enhancements. Those can be disabled by checking "Disable all sound effects" in the "Enhancements" tab.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:27 am
   Subject: Re: Configuring Code::Blocks color scheme
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Matthew wrote:
If the OS is giving bad data to the sound driver, that is probably because of audio enhancements. Those can be disabled by checking "Disable all sound effects" in the "Enhancements" tab.
No, it's linked to the Automatic Updates feature. As you said, newer versions of Windows 10 are supposed to fix this problem, but you have to update the OS in order to do so. Once it's updated, the sound driver is disabled, and you can't properly reinstall the drivers. A great deal of machines don't even include WIn10 sound drivers. My laptop doesn't even include a reinstall disk.
Matthew
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 100

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:56 pm
   Subject: Configuring Code::Blocks color scheme
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob wrote:
Matthew wrote:
No, it's linked to the Automatic Updates feature. As you said, newer versions of Windows 10 are supposed to fix this problem, but you have to update the OS in order to do so. Once it's updated, the sound driver is disabled, and you can't properly reinstall the drivers. A great deal of machines don't even include WIn10 sound drivers. My laptop doesn't even include a reinstall disk.

Whenever Windows 10 does a feature update, it uninstalls and reinstalls all drivers.

In my experience, it often does not install graphics drivers correctly. But manually uninstalling and reinstalling them after the update fixes the problem.

If you manually uninstall a driver for a device that is enabled, when the computer restarts, Windows 10 will automatically install the newest driver it can find.

I've only had to manually install graphics drivers.

The sound driver Windows 10 has installed on my system is the same one that Windows 10 has always installed. It was released on June 24, 2015, shortly before Windows 10 was released.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: