DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Announcing the Diehard Wolfers' Mapping League!
Page 6 of 6 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 25
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:39 am
   Subject: Re: Announcing the Diehard Wolfers' Mapping League!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Here's a small visual glitch I just discovered: if you're playing in full screen mode (meaning, no status bar visible) and you go back to a menu (via Esc or any of the function keys), you can see what I think is the time elapsed. The clock remains on screen until the fade-out effect is done and the menu screen appears. I thought I'd mention it in case it was worth fixing.

And another one: I died crushed by a moving wall right after Schabbs had hurt me with his flying syringes. BJ did not show the regular death face on the status bar, but the mutant one you see when you die by a flying syringe. This is the only scenario in which I reproduced this glitch (meaning, I have not tried other variations). I do not know if the problem will also manifest itself if, for example, you get shot in between the syringe damage and the death by the moving wall. Perhaps a quick, easy solution would be to tell the engine that it needs to show the regular death face every single time you die crushed by a wall?

EDIT: the same thing happens if instead of getting crushed by a moving wall, you die by stepping on the artifact of death.

Best,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 39
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:39 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Interesting, I'll take a look when I can. Thanks Smile

(usually the Schabbs face should only be shown when it's the syringe that actually kills you - EDIT: turns out LastAttacker and killerobj weren't being set to NULL when pushwalls or death artifacts were killing people, so if the last thing you took damage from was a Schabbs syringe it would show the mutant face)
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:05 pm

AlumiuN,

A few more things in case you deem them worth fixing:

1) It looks like the "it won't budge" sound won't play when you try it on breakable columns. Perhaps fixing this would make sense, as otherwise this is a way to find out if the columns are breakable or not without using the knife or firing a single shot.

2) Is it possible that having a switch-activated pushwall right next to a door might affect the door making a sound when the player opens and/or closes it? I believe I experienced it in a map I played today. There was a switch-activdated pushwall right in front of the door, and when the wall was no longer there and the door could be opened/closed, I got no opening/closing sound.

3) Question: Does Schabbs have a higher hit point count than usual? For some reason I had to unload almost 150 rounds straight at him today on a level I was testing. Maybe my mistake.

Many thanks, Sir.

Best,

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:54 am

Arielus wrote:
1) It looks like the "it won't budge" sound won't play when you try it on breakable columns. Perhaps fixing this would make sense, as otherwise this is a way to find out if the columns are breakable or not without using the knife or firing a single shot.
Yes, I can understand how that problem would show up. The "indestructible" column is a Static Object, not an Actor type like the destructible column. So when the code doesn't register it as a Static Object, it skips that message altogether. On the other hand, if the "pushable" object moves over a treasure, it will still move along, but the "It won't budge" message appears when it's pushed regardless (It appears this happens because the square of the map *with* a treasure has a different flag than one without). I haven't tried to debug this myself, but I'm pretty it means you have to "spoon feed" the code just about everything to get the problem fixed. Rolling Eyes
Aryan_Wolf3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Arielus wrote:
2) Is it possible that having a switch-activated pushwall right next to a door might affect the door making a sound when the player opens and/or closes it? I believe I experienced it in a map I played today. There was a switch-activdated pushwall right in front of the door, and when the wall was no longer there and the door could be opened/closed, I got no opening/closing sound.

Heh, that's an original Wolf quirk where it only checks the tile north of a horizontal door and the tile west of a vertical one for an area code... So if a wall tile is on either of those tiles, the door will be given an invalid area. A bunch of map changes were made for the original Wolf 1.4 because of this.

Quote:
3) Question: Does Schabbs have a higher hit point count than usual? For some reason I had to unload almost 150 rounds straight at him today on a level I was testing. Maybe my mistake.

For some reason, Schabbs has always had more health than any other enemy in the game, twice as much as Hans on the hardest difficulty.

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:26 pm

1 should be a fairly easy fix, but I would prefer to have some way to distinguish between shootable and non-shootable columns without having to knife them 10 times each or expend a few bullets per column; maybe a very small difference in the sprite instead?

2 I thought I'd fixed, but the nature of the fix (finding the nearest appropriate floor code) might not work 100% of the time - if you can send me an example of an area that causes it on a regular basis, that'll help me figure it out Smile

3 The health numbers in the MMC/ML are consistent with their original values in Wolf3D/SoD - on the highest difficulty Schabbs has 2400 health, and the only other enemy that comes close is the Angel Of Death at 2000.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 20
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:37 am

I remember how BrotherTank's old Map of the Month packages were available for people to use as a base for their mods. Are we still allowed to do that?

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:47 pm

While it could be used as such, unlike BTs code, the codebase for the ML doesn't really lend itself to being used for anything else, as I haven't implemented much of the optional stuff the DOS code had. I'm happy to release the source once I actually get it into a fully working state again (as the last time I had the energy to do anything significant I started a couple of things and didn't manage to finish them) if people are interested, though.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:30 am

Well, the thing is, I would personally be perfectly happy to use the package in its current state.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:34 am

In that case, unless anyone else has any objections, go for it.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:15 am

Thanks a lot!

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:22 am

Well, finally some good news - I've managed to complete nearly everything I wanted to implement for the next league! I didn't manage to do the complete pushwall rework I wanted to, but a *lot* of the stuff that it was going to include is done anyway (including some fun things that I'm excited (and honestly a little scared) to see what hijinks people can get up to with them). There are still a few things that I need to get working before I can release the kit (and then a few more bits and pieces that I can get working while people start making maps), but with any luck, the next kit should be ready by the end of May.

That said, there are a couple of things I'd like some help with that would make it a lot easier for me:
1. I've kept the Chaosedit definitions up-to-date as I've modified stuff, but if someone (or multiple someones) could update the Mapedit and WDC definitions, and ideally make some HWE definitions, it would be much appreciated.
2. As there's more and more stuff being added that needs some explaining, I think the kit could use some proper documentation for map makers, rather than the fairly sparse short comments in the mapinfo files.
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:29 am

AlumiuN wrote:
2. As there's more and more stuff being added that needs some explaining, I think the kit could use some proper documentation for map makers, rather than the fairly sparse short comments in the mapinfo files.

I would be very happy to help with this, if that is okay? I would assume the preferred option would be to have the documentation ready by the time the next mapping kit comes out? In any case, how do you envision we go about this?

Best,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Arielus wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

I would be very happy to help with this, if that is okay? I would assume the preferred option would be to have the documentation ready by the time the next mapping kit comes out? In any case, how do you envision we go about this?

Best,

Ariel

Of course; I would ideally like the documentation to be ready with the kit, but it's not strictly necessary. What I was thinking was a text file containing an explanation of some of the more unconventional features of the league - the advanced pushwall system, teleporters, enemy grouping, stuff like that - and a reference for the mapinfo file's entries.
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:21 pm

AlumiuN wrote:
Arielus wrote:
AlumiuN wrote:

Best,

Ariel

Of course; I would ideally like the documentation to be ready with the kit, but it's not strictly necessary. What I was thinking was a text file containing an explanation of some of the more unconventional features of the league - the advanced pushwall system, teleporters, enemy grouping, stuff like that - and a reference for the mapinfo file's entries.

Understood. Thank you for clarifying and count on me for this.

What's the next step?

Best,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 pm

I'll send you a PM Smile
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:26 am

AlumiuN wrote:
I'll send you a PM Smile

Got it, thanks. I will try and get started on this soon.

Cheers,

Ariel

DieHard Mutant

argentina.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:18 pm

AlumiuN, would you be willing to add a few more tunes to the package or should we leave that alone at least for now?

Best,

Ariel

DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Send them and I'll include them Smile
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 pm

My apologies for not having the kit ready yet; things have proven to be a little harder to implement than I was planning on. I've got a fair amount of the difficult stuff done, but there's still a decent amount of other bits and pieces I'd like to get done before releasing it.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:09 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Good news - the kit is feature-complete and largely ready to go; I still have some documentation for the multitude of new features to finish off, but I'm going to release the kit by the 1st of August at the latest (even if the documentation isn't quite finished).
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 6 of 6 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Jump to: