DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community


  Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

  Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Post new topicReply to topic
Author Message
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Last Visit: 0:23 ago.

Topics: 110
Posts: 1736
Location: A hole in the wall
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:47 pm
   Subject: Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
   [ IP : Logged ]
Reply with quote
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I had seen little hints of this around the Internet, but the other day got some good explanation of the issue from some people able to understand the one German article I could find on the matter. I'm tagging the post as "Rumour" as there hasn't been a formal announcement yet, and I do not totally understand the situation, and may interpret things wrong.

The posts explaining it are at https://steamcommunity.com/app/2270/discussions/0/1630790506920576008/, but the main post of interest (by "Rigolax") is as follows:

Rigalax wrote:
To summarize this affair because I wager even deepl won't help much (I wrote that article):

There had been 2 bans by lower regional courts in 1994, one by a Munich court and the other one by a Berlin one. The courts banned versions of the game on the basis of the usage of outlawed Nazi symbols and somehow because it would classify as dissemination of Nazi propaganda "directed against the free, democratic constitutional order or the idea of the comity of nations"; sections 86 and 86a of the German penal code: https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_stgb/englisch_stgb.html#p0868

The federal agency called BPjM promptly placed the game on the so-called index of media considered harmful to the youth in 1994. The panel evaluating the game explicitly stated they were unable to judge whether the Nazi symbols may further right extremist views in young players, however they deemed that its content would glorify vigilantism and provide a positive view on violence.

25 years later, the BPjM's decision was about to lapse in accordance with the law. However, they decided to further blacklist the game because of the old court ordered bans in accordance with sect. 86 of the German penal codes. Those bans have actually lapsed long ago, in 1997 and 2004, but because the German lawmakers decided to phrase a certain passage in a certain way the BPjM believes they are justified or rather obliged to blacklist media in those cases anyway. If the rightholders don't have the court ordered bans challenged, this could go on forever.

However, the court orders have been challenged and lifted, and thus the BPjM no longer sees any reason to blacklist the game further. (The game's violence is by today's standards no longer deemed to be so much problematic, so this is no hinderance either.)

Because the court orders apparently only got lifted because of legal formalities, the legal violations the game was once accused of (or rather the people involved with dissemination and production) not actually being denied, and the BPjM for some quirk in the German law not checking whether a game uses Nazi symbols legally in accordance with 86a of the German penal law, it's still somewhat unclear whether the game might be offered legally in Germany though. Would be best if it'd be submitted to the USK, Germany's rating board like PEGI or ESRB.


We'll most likely hear more with the formal announcement at the end of the month, but this is cool news!

_________________
WolfSource - Your news source since the beginning of time (2019)
Tricob
Moderator
<B>Moderator</B>


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Last Visit: 11:44 ago.

Topics: 167
Posts: 8451
Location: Neo-traditions, Inc.
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:27 pm
   Subject: Re: Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
   [ IP : Logged ]
Reply with quote
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

DOS Box probably isn't as commonplace in Germany as in North America, and they probably haven't connected Wolf4SDL with Wolf3D For DOS, either. IIRC, PC home computers weren't that popular in Germany's government until the 2000s, and when the time came for them to pick an operating system to run the machines on, they actually chose Linux over Windows, partly because the former was open-source. Not sure what their current OS is these days, but it's sure to complicate things.
ReddimusVonAggrevatii
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On


Joined: 11 Oct 2017
Last Visit: 17 Oct 2019

Topics: 6
Posts: 127
Location: SCP- 455
bulgaria.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:25 am
   Subject: Re: Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
   [ IP : Logged ]
Reply with quote
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob wrote:
DOS Box probably isn't as commonplace in Germany as in North America...


I disagree.
https://dosboxece.yesterplay.net/

_________________
АНУ ЧИКИ БРИКИ ИВ ДАМКИ!
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer


Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Last Visit: 19 Oct 2019

Topics: 22
Posts: 597
Location: Odrowaz
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:30 am
   Subject: Re: Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
   [ IP : Logged ]
Reply with quote
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Tricob wrote:
DOS Box probably isn't as commonplace in Germany as in North America, and they probably haven't connected Wolf4SDL with Wolf3D For DOS, either. IIRC, PC home computers weren't that popular in Germany's government until the 2000s, and when the time came for them to pick an operating system to run the machines on, they actually chose Linux over Windows, partly because the former was open-source. Not sure what their current OS is these days, but it's sure to complicate things.

I thought this was about unbanning Wolf3D for the consumers, but you talk like they're about to install it on every German government PC.

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/nawigatorpirx - check my channel for playthroughs of some less well known mods
https://www.mediafire.com/?rs64mtw6ttjo2j3 - Treasure Hunt
Atina
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On


Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Last Visit: 06 Oct 2019

Topics: 9
Posts: 148

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:34 am
   Subject: Re: Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
   [ IP : Logged ]
Reply with quote
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

It's not a rumour. It's official but seems stuck in formalities. Maybe Bethesda has to apply a proper age rating.

@Tricob did you reply to the wrong topic maybe or you mean it was banned/unbanmed cause germany has no clue about computers or other OS?

edit: took me like 15 attempts to reply cause of critical site error again lol

_________________
"Nexion and Atina are one in the same. Set apart by time and space, but they'll be one again" - WolferCooker (11/10/2010)
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer


Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Last Visit: 19 Oct 2019

Topics: 22
Posts: 597
Location: Odrowaz
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:57 am
   Subject: Re: Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
   [ IP : Logged ]
Reply with quote
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Atina wrote:

or you mean it was banned/unbanmed cause germany has no clue about computers or other OS?

Official 1: So we have this computer game on our banned list.
Official 2: What's a computer?
Official 1: I don't know, let's delete it just in case.

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/nawigatorpirx - check my channel for playthroughs of some less well known mods
https://www.mediafire.com/?rs64mtw6ttjo2j3 - Treasure Hunt
Tricob
Moderator
<B>Moderator</B>


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Last Visit: 11:44 ago.

Topics: 167
Posts: 8451
Location: Neo-traditions, Inc.
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:51 pm
   Subject: Re: Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
   [ IP : Logged ]
Reply with quote
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ReddimusVonAggrevatii wrote:
Tricob wrote:
DOS Box probably isn't as commonplace in Germany as in North America...


I disagree.
https://dosboxece.yesterplay.net/
Point taken. I knew it had been translated, but I had no idea the German version was that popular. Smile
Ryu-sama
Registered User
Registered User


Joined: 02 Oct 2019
Last Visit: 1:53 ago.

Topics: None
Posts: 24

germany.gif

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:55 am
   Subject: Re: Rumour: Wolfenstein 3D ban being lifted in Germany soon
   [ IP : Logged ]
Reply with quote
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Finally.

(And I am from Germany, actually.)

BTW, RtCW "Youngblood" was the first game in the "Wolfenstein" series to be released in Germany with the swasticas, etc.

_________________
"I have my mind [...] and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge."

(Tyrion Lannister, A Game of Thrones, George RR Martin)
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topicReply to topic Time synchronized with the forum server time
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  

Related topics
 Topics   Replies   Views   Last Post 
No new posts Doctor Wolfenstein!
Author: AReyeP
6 5157 Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:13 pm
Anonymous View latest post
No new posts Wolfenstein Plus
Author: Zach
56 13667 Sun May 01, 2005 8:23 am
Blade Nightflame View latest post
No new posts The Wolfenstein Release/Notes Chart
Author: experiencedgamer
4 4347 Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:42 am
experiencedgamer View latest post
No new posts Ideas for the "Wolfenstein" section
Author: Chris
12 6157 Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:17 pm
Zach View latest post
No new posts The Game That Started It All...Wolfenstein 3D
Author: Guest
23 563 Sat Nov 29, 2003 8:34 am
Hair Machine View latest post
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
   You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Copyright ©2003-2008 DieHard Wolfers
A Modified subBunker Theme by BrotherTank
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group