DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

A letter from a member of this community
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Wolf3DGuy
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 7

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:30 am
   Subject: A letter from a member of this community
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Today a fellow wolfer, an outside member of this community, shared her opinion about something that's really a thing in this community, in this forum. She said this can go up here too, so here it goes:

Quote:

Joshua, also known as "JPB", Hobbes", or "Z Reader", is a user on the Diehard Wolfers forum and the WolfSource Discord.

My interactions with Joshua are limited to the past six months, but he has hanged around the Wolfenstein 3D community for more than a decade now. Anybody who has talked to him for even just a full day will know that this person is mentally challenged. Joshua has the attention span of a fly and is not capable of any meaningful creative activities that would contribute anything, save for unintentional comedy.

Joshua seeks attention and validation, while failing to demonstrate that his understanding of social interactions or logical reasoning would have improved in any capacity, despite numerous users' efforts to guide and help him. Whenever Joshua shows up, the social space begins to revolve around him due to curiosity, confusion, sympathy, hatred, or amusement. He gathers people around himself like a circus clown, and wastes everybody's time by hours every day, as they either try to help him in a futile effort, or hang around for the entertainment value. The authorities in the social spaces Joshua inhabits tolerate all of this in the name of inclusivity.
As a result of the above, numerous users have over the years grown so tired of Joshua that he has become the laughing stock of the community. The unintended humorous value of his 'contributions' is the only way in which anybody around him has the patience to keep interacting with him. Some outright do whatever they can to make him go away, out of sheer frustration. Others who do not understand the nature of Joshua's personality will observe and blame people for bullying him. As far as I am concerned, these white knights can go f*ck themselves, unless they volunteer to be employed as unpaid online tard wranglers.

The only sensible course of action is to entirely banish Joshua. If you are sympathetic to him, then you will understand that his presence within the community will only enable his attention seeking behaviour, while emotionally scarring him as he treads amidst fellow amused netizens on the Internet. If you care about the coherency of the community, it should be obvious that his presence influences everybody's behaviour for the worse. If you care about merit, Joshua has none and his presence leads to a loss in productivity. There is absolutely no reason to keep him around.

Yours truly,

Aurora

I think this message speaks the truth so I don't really have anything noteworthy to add here, the only thing I can say is that I completely agree with this, cause there was a time when I experienced his behaviour every single day and I feel that this should be stopped in a way or another.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 22
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yes. I have already made my thoughts clear in another section of this forum, so I can only do so again here. Aurora's message, while harsh in places, is an excellent and faithful representation of the truth. The message is harsh because the truth is harsh likewise. I support this post fully.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 57
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:56 am
   Subject: Re: A letter from a member of this community

Aurora wrote:
As far as I am concerned, these white knights can go f*ck themselves, unless they volunteer to be employed as unpaid online tard wranglers.

Ah oh, she said the f* word...

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 164

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:30 am

I am also 100 % behind this statement; it seems as if certain people are more interested in protecting certain elements that in their own logic makes this community seem more vibrant and more friendly, open to all sorts of people. That in itself is a nice idea, but it has obviously backfired in this instance (and quite a handful of others, I believe personally) and I still find it unfathomable that the ways and means of blocking certain users, labeling them "spammers" and so forth are still as archaic and seemingly more based in a clash of personalities rather than doing a proper job keeping certain members in tow.

Being neutral in all matters is a good idea on paper, but in reality it leads to indifference that ends up in instability. This should have been spoken of five, six years ago if not more at a crucial time in which the community lost some incredibly vital members, with their replacements (so to speak) contributing less than a fraction of their worth - personally speaking - and only adding ennui and misunderstandings.

And then there's that part of me which thinks all of this is completely ridiculous. Given how incredibly small a community we are, and the fact that what we are actually doing is a total niche thing, there ought to be a lot more togetherness and respect and the ability to tell if there is a bad apple here and there that maybe should be left on the ground for awhile. Instead a barrage of madness and complete idiocy has been unleashed the past many years. Props to Aurora and Serpens for speaking up, never would have had the balls to do so myself. Far too many brick walls have been faced in my past when trying to address certain issues.
Sam122
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 3
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:46 am

Decided to edit what was written here since I understand now will probably write a long wall of text later just need to check a few things

Last edited by Sam122 on Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:48 am

^^ If this had been posted ten, fifteen years ago you would have had a host of moderators and some of their cronies on your case already. Be glad, Sam, that you live in such times of indifference. Cake

Specifically referencing Fragstein3D. Some of the posts he made were hilarious.
Joshua
Abuses Others
Abuses Others

Topics: 242

usa.gif

Currently banned
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am

My mapping has improved. I am confused.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:49 am

One of those sentences are true.
Aryan_Wolf3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:25 pm

I think I've already made my stance on this painfully clear, to the point where I've been accused of "bullying", so I won't repeat myself, but I fully agree with the message.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 25
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:26 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I will state my own: it is not right to make fun of or bully someone who has a condition or who is mentally challenged. It is downright wrong. I totally and absolutely understand that he or she can get on your nerves. Fine, it can definitely happen to anyone. But if that is the case, then you can always ignore them. Simple as that. Make fun of them? Bully them? Wish they'd go away because you think they add no value? Not cool.

A few months ago I made a few posts about this over at the wiki and based on the responses I saw I ended up coming across as a grumpy cat with no sense of humour.

Is this how we want to be? Shouldn't we strive for togetherness instead in light of the small community we are?

I don't know, people.

You all have a great day,

Ariel

Bring 'em On

Topics: 6
bulgaria.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:30 pm

I agree with Aurora on this.
Joshua has been a Nuisance to us for his quite honestly annoying behavior.
He asks questions, gets answers, but doesn't listen, he just asks another question, irrelevant to it, or immediately switches gears to either religion, his "modding", or any sort of topic completely unrelated to Wolf3D.
In conversations on Discord, he always butts in with his own topics, which as mentioned before, were completely irrelevant.
He makes false promises and repeats them ad infinitum and when cornered about any of his actions, he doesn't back down, but again, switches gears.
His statement just now is proof of this. He doesn't try to rebuttal what was said above. He doesn't exactly defend himself or his actions either. He just talk about his mapping.
>My mapping has improved. I am confused.
Please, Joshua, tell me how does is this relevant to the topic at hand. Ten bucks says you'll ignore what I said and talk about your mod, or some other unrelated topic.
Have you noticed how many times I've used the word "irrelevant" or similar? Truly strange.
Another thing that disgusts me is how he always pulls out the victim card. On the Wolfsource discord, he always pings Zombie_Plan at the slightest inconvenience or criticism. And not just on the Wolfsrouce discord, on ANY of Joshua's discord servers too.
And lest we forget his claims of having PTSD or being Autistic.
Yet, we have no proof of them.
tldr: Joshua has given us nothing but lies. Aurora is right.

Topics: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:32 pm

Arielus wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I will state my own: it is not right to make fun of or bully someone who has a condition or who is mentally challenged. It is downright wrong. I totally and absolutely understand that he or she can get on your nerves. Fine, it can definitely happen to anyone. But if that is the case, then you can always ignore them. Simple as that. Make fun of them? Bully them? Wish they'd go away because you think they add no value? Not cool.

A few months ago I made a few posts about this over at the wiki and based on the responses I saw I ended up coming across as a grumpy cat with no sense of humour.

Is this how we want to be? Shouldn't we strive for togetherness instead in light of the small community we are?

I don't know, people.

Ariel

I backed you then and I will back you now and not just because we are old friends. You are 100% correct.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:34 pm

Ariel, you know I respect you an awful lot and I really value the fact that we can write each other every now again. But in this case, calling this bullying and shrugging it off is pushing the issue aside. Granted, I write some things every now and again that might seem a bit coarse, and I can see that, but they are meant mainly in good humor. Surely there must still be room for this. But that's my problem. This does not apply to e.g. Serpens and Aryan.

The main thing about Joshua - and this was something that even Andy Nonymous, bless his heart, made clear many, many years ago - releases projects that uses numerous unedited copyright material. Over and over and over again, no matter how many times we tell him on the subject. I cannot understand how this has not been made a bigger deal out of. Back in the day you could hardly even ask how to get the registered version without an admin or a moderator getting p'd off about it.

Anyway... I understand we come from different cultures and different ideas to what humor can be, but in many cases parody is the most sincere form of flattery. Joshua as a hazard still needs to be taken seriously, because as I said... And I cannot underline this further... COPYRIGHT MATERIAL..... No consequences..... Constantly telling us how much he has improved when he never really has. Neither in his modding work or his behavior. For his own benefit, as to not embarrass him further, somebody should pull the plug already.

Or am I completely alone in this?!
Joshua
Abuses Others
Abuses Others

usa.gif

Currently banned
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:38 pm

Brian Lowe told me it was ok to release the full version of Wolfenstein 3D as long as the registered maps were not used. Wolf 3D Haven released full mapsets that used the original Wolfenstein 3D graphics without having to pay for Wolfenstein 3D and no DMCA was filed. Back then I asked Brian Lowe and Wizzie and they said it was ok.

Bring 'em On

bulgaria.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:40 pm

Arielus wrote:

I don't know, people.

Ariel

I agree, bullying the disabled is not good.
HOWEVER, Joshua has provided no proof of any mental illness, he just says he has it. For all we know, this could just be a victim card so that we don't ridicule him or do anything "offensive".
I mean, right now I can just tell you that I also have PTSD, resulting from a very unpleasant trip to a certain asian country. But if I provide no proof of it, like say, medic al papers, there's no way for you to believe me, right?
Then why trust Joshua on that? He hasn't even provided us with at least false proof.
Even more interesting, on Discord, he has provided various replies in the vain of "I am not mentally ill", thus contradicting with his own claims.

Joshua wrote:

Brian Lowe told me it was ok to release the full version of Wolfenstein 3D as long as the registered maps were not used. Wolf 3D Haven released full mapsets that used the original Wolfenstein 3D graphics without having to pay for Wolfenstein 3D and no DMCA was filed. Back then I asked Brian Lowe and Wizzie and they said it was ok.

You see that? Not related to the topic at hand AT ALL.

Abuses Others

usa.gif

Currently banned
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:42 pm

I responded with I am not mentally ill because people were trolling me on discord.

Bring 'em On

bulgaria.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:44 pm

Joshua wrote:
I responded with I am not mentally ill because people were trolling me on discord.

How about you respond to the post at the top before responding to me?

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:47 pm

ReddimusVonAggrevatii wrote:
Arielus wrote:

I don't know, people.

Ariel

I agree, bullying the disabled is not good.
HOWEVER, Joshua has provided no proof of any mental illness, he just says he has it. For all we know, this could just be a victim card so that we don't ridicule him or do anything "offensive".
I mean, right now I can just tell you that I also have PTSD, resulting from a very unpleasant trip to a certain asian country. But if I provide no proof of it, like say, medic al papers, there's no way for you to believe me, right?
Then why trust Joshua on that? He hasn't even provided us with at least false proof.
Even more interesting, on Discord, he has provided various replies in the vain of "I am not mentally ill", thus contradicting with his own claims.

Joshua wrote:

You see that? Not related to the topic at hand AT ALL.

Agreed. And I don't know if people remember this, but I have said it many times. I am autistic. I got diagnosed as a toddler. It has been insanely difficult at times, most importantly also on this very forum. I know some of the things that e.g. OMJ goes through, and I can gather from his written interactions that he is indeed autistic. I get it. Personally I would never use it as a token of sympathy or anything like that, but I felt like I had to mention it here.

Ya don't believe it? Translate this article: http://www.aspit.dk/nyhedsbreve/udsendte-nyhedsbreve/nu-er-de-kommet-godt-igen-i-aspit-oestjylland/ --- about a school focusing on the learning of information technology for people with Autism, ADD, Asperger's (back when it was a thing) and you will see my name in there.

Being autistic and interacting with other people on the spectrum who have a hard time progressing and advancing themselves socially and mentally was always difficult. However, we should not all fall prey to not showing our true potential simply because a given person has a hard time doing so. The fact that 90 % of all people think about Rain Man when they hear the word autistic makes me cringe and I have worked all of my life trying to contradict that fact.

Yet there are people like Joshua who just drops the mention of his diagnosis casually and suddenly people cannot come to his aid faster. How do you think this looks? Me and a couple of other people on the spectrum have often discussed how people who shelter or protect people who have a much harder time mentally and socially than themselves do so simply to make them look like the bigger person; yet all it does it heighten their own standing and putting them in the light. It does nothing for the issue, not anything for the person they are protecting (in this instance, Joshua) and all it does it put the whole thing at a stalemate, waiting for more time to pass before another blowup.

It's time to actually do something. I am not bullying; I have been bullied. I know what that's actually like. Do you guys?

Last edited by Thomas on Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Arielus wrote:
But if that is the case, then you can always ignore them. Simple as that. Make fun of them? Bully them? Wish they'd go away because you think they add no value? Not cool.
Ariel

I understand. If Joshua is banned, he will go away. But if everyone ignores him, he will also go away, lacking the unhealthy attention he desires and thrives off. So you prefer to remove the problem without getting your own hands dirty. Quite expedient.

Topics: None

Currently banned
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:51 pm

1989 - All of a sudden, Berlin wall falls
2001 - All of a sudden, Twin Towers fall
2019 - All of a sudden, DiehardWolfers fall
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:56 pm

Lol bring it on... It's a shadow of itself. And look at the Dome... Went into the wrong hands and got nowhere... A total pity.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 44

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:06 pm

Vernal Equinox wrote:
1989 - All of a sudden, Berlin wall falls
2001 - All of a sudden, Twin Towers fall
2019 - All of a sudden, DiehardWolfers fall

I will get back to this topic later when I have time to do a proper response. For now your ass is banned, and not because of this smartass comment. This account appears to have been logging in from two entirely different geolocations via proxy, which leads me to suspect somebody here is using a secondary account.

https://www.liveipmap.com/45.56.172.164
https://www.liveipmap.com/81.171.98.128
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Joshua's posts demonstrate lack of good communication skills. I know people like this who have no mental disorders of any kind. Let's not blame his behavior on a disorder. Instead, I'd like him to acknowledge that he has changes he needs to make with the way he communicates. Because he'll make no progress until he does.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 25
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:37 pm

serpens wrote:
Arielus wrote:
But if that is the case, then you can always ignore them. Simple as that. Make fun of them? Bully them? Wish they'd go away because you think they add no value? Not cool.
Ariel

I understand. If Joshua is banned, he will go away. But if everyone ignores him, he will also go away, lacking the unhealthy attention he desires and thrives off. So you prefer to remove the problem without getting your own hands dirty. Quite expedient.

serpens, I respect you. Even if you don't believe it, I really do. We're just never going to see eye to eye on this. And that's fine.

Peace,

Ariel

Abuses Others

usa.gif

Currently banned
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Tricob wrote:
Joshua's posts demonstrate lack of good communication skills. I know people like this who have no mental disorders of any kind. Let's not blame his behavior on a disorder. Instead, I'd like him to acknowledge that he has changes he needs to make with the way he communicates. Because he'll make no progress until he does.

How do I not use good communication skills? I am confused. Could you point it out in a PM to me please? I am not annoyed, I want to improve.

DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:47 pm

Arielus wrote:
serpens wrote:
Arielus wrote:
Ariel

serpens, I respect you. Even if you don't believe it, I really do. We're just never going to see eye to eye on this. And that's fine.

Peace,

Ariel

Which is a shame. Because I'd like to convince people that our intentions are good, and the proposed course of action should be followed. Joshua doesn't listen to well-intentioned advice even from people who he supposedly trusts. He's either unwilling or incapable of doing so. He has confessed that he's got a therapist who suggested multiple times that Joshua should go on a media blackout. So we're not alone in this. Joshua going away is best because he's currently locked in a perpetual, mutually harmful cycle of misery, and further inaction achieves nothing other than letting him waste more and more years of his life away.

DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:05 pm

I feel the need to add something to this story. Remember when Joshua spammed the Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny and the howling wolfers subforums with lots of questions? Gonna bring up OMJ yet again who did the same in the coding subforums... how was that different than Joshua's questions? They both spammed the forum in a way, both claims to have autism, the only difference was OMJ's broken english, but there's an another difference, which is a big one, While OMJ spammed the coding sections asking for help, he actually managed to make something special out of it, he did produced things out of it while Joshua don't, he just comes up with random questions mainly just to seek for attention, I think that's why he announces bunch of mods too, waiting for people to reply and I think he expect people to admire his works. So my main question is, how is this possible that OMJ got banned, but not Joshua?

On another note, I am not trying to backseat moderate here, but one day a decision needs to be made by the moderators, we can't just wipe all this into oblivion like in the past cause one day this exact same conversation is gonna pop up again. This is what we do for a year now or so, make these threads then a moderator delete everything and we take a few months of break just to start this all over again, someday actions needs to be done may it be a good one or bad one.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Wolf3DGuy wrote:
I feel the need to add something to this story. Remember when Joshua spammed the Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny and the howling wolfers subforums with lots of questions? Gonna bring up OMJ yet again who did the same in the coding subforums... how was that different than Joshua's questions? They both spammed the forum in a way, both claims to have autism, the only difference was OMJ's broken english, but there's an another difference, which is a big one, While OMJ spammed the coding sections asking for help, he actually managed to make something special out of it, he did produced things out of it while Joshua don't, he just comes up with random questions mainly just to seek for attention, I think that's why he announces bunch of mods too, waiting for people to reply and I think he expect people to admire his works. So my main question is, how is this possible that OMJ got banned, but not Joshua?

I agree, this was also very much a problem back in the day. Richter Belmont's dyslexia and numerous then-newer members (myself included) just got berated for underdeveloped English writing skills whenever there was a small window to do so. It baffles me just what makes Joshua so special, in this instance. I also wonder whether this will ever be clarified. I am afraid too that this will be swept under the rug without a proper solution or at least acknowledgement of the issue.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 57
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:49 pm

A new poll has been started:

TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 44

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:59 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Wolf3DGuy wrote:
I feel the need to add something to this story. Remember when Joshua spammed the Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny and the howling wolfers subforums with lots of questions? Gonna bring up OMJ yet again who did the same in the coding subforums... how was that different than Joshua's questions? They both spammed the forum in a way, both claims to have autism, the only difference was OMJ's broken english, but there's an another difference, which is a big one, While OMJ spammed the coding sections asking for help, he actually managed to make something special out of it, he did produced things out of it while Joshua don't, he just comes up with random questions mainly just to seek for attention,

Just to clarify, and not blowing anyone's concern off here, but OMJ was banned for his repeated insubordination, which was only a two day ban.
Post new topicThis topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Time synchronized with the forum server time
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: