DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

What annoys the crap out of you? (Wolf Addons)
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

What annoys the crap out of you? (Wolf Addons)
People who make one crappy addon after another
22%
 22%  [ 41 ]
People who make 100 addons about movies
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
People who make addons out of the Shareware version
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
People who can't spell
16%
 16%  [ 30 ]
People who make addons with the same VSWAP as another addon
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
People who make addons out of other addons
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
People who announce and cancel addons
16%
 16%  [ 30 ]
DOOM Addons
5%
 5%  [ 10 ]
Voted : 49
Total Votes : 179

Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 3
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:56 am
   Subject: What annoys the crap out of you? (Wolf Addons)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Post away, and have a great day. Smile

{EDIT}Added one extra option to your list, Sockman
Leo
Forum Moderator

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 8
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:04 am
   Subject: Re: What annoys the crap out of you? (Wolf Addons)
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Heh, I'd say all of those things you said are very annoing except Doom addons / Shareware TC's / Same VSWAP and "Addons for Addons". I'm enjoying Shareware TC's because many of them have a lot of effort put into the mapping. Doom addons have a cool atmosphere which I always liked, no matter what's the quality of addon itself - Doom is still there. Addons for Addons.. This also means good maps, because people don't bother with graphics and sounds anymore.. On the other hand, it all goes to "Wolfenstein Plus" thread again.. Ah anyways, I like them too. Mr Green

Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 4
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:17 am

I hate the Shareware Addons. And you know Sandy, why is she always doing Shareware addons.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:36 am

Like experiencedgamer said, I been played S/W addon, nothing fun to do with.. always hate those for S/W Wolfenstein 3D Rolling Eyes
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:40 pm

No, no, no! Shareware addons aren't bad! Just recently there was a really AMAZING one that came out, that had only the original graphics; but now I can't remember what it was called, or who even made it... Embarassed

Plus, there was Secret of the Grauberg Dungeons, which was a truly excellent addon built off of the shareware.... What annoys me more is people who don't take the time they need to make a mod good. Not that it really annoys me or anything.

DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:09 pm

I hate it when people make one shitty add-on after another, it's like they don't even try to make a decent one. Neutral
thejosh
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:26 pm

Tough to choose just one option.
It's kind of annoying when people recycle vswaps from other mods, or mod other mods. I mean, if you steal other's graphics for your mod your making it for all the wrong reasons. People should mod to bring their own ideas to life. I like to see creativity, I don't care if some people aren't artistically gifted, I'd like to see something new, rather than shooting the same enemies over and over in everyones mod Not Happy I have alot more respect for people who make all new shit Mr Green

I became a bit weary of downloading new mods from the dome because they almost all seemed to use the same graphics, it's creepy Neutral

A little straying here but I'm really hoping the TC "Thunder in paradise" turns out good, and uses all new stuff, I loved that show Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:29 pm

I don't like this add-ons that are done just for the author say that he have did one. Not Happy More specifically, with very simple maps with drawed graphics, like Monkeystein.
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:52 pm

Monkeystein gets my vote for stupidest addon ever. Right next to another I.S. game, Spongebob-stein, which, like Leo hates (BTW, thanx for the option) was announced, and "cancelled" for copyright reasons. Hell, we aren't technically supposed to be releasing modified versions of Wolf 3D for TCs. I don't know what that guy was smoking that night, but he made some dumb addons.

I had Sandy's retarded addons in mind when I made the option for "addons out of other addons". Making shit addons is bad, but stealing content from WSJ, one of the best Wolf modders out there is worse.

Maybe shareware addons were good in the days of BBS, but now just about everybody has the full version, and if you don't, punching in "Wolf, Full Version, Download, .zip" into Google gets you productive results. Today, we've become so blinded by other games that we can only appreciate a game if it has 10,000 source code features. We aren't easily amused anymore.

If you guys like this type of "I hate this" topic, I'll make a few more for ya.

Don't Hurt Me

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:38 pm

I remember those days, Sockman. The BBS days, I mean. I remember exactly. Downloading the games. Other pirates yelling at another user for uploading a 5-day old game. Ahhh, yes. And I clearly remember D/Ling Wing Commander II and playing and seeing the awesome graphics. Though it took about 1 hour to download theen another hour to install. Thanks for bringing back the BBS days, Sockman.
jamez
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 13
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:29 am

To be honest, all of them p!$$ me off!

For example i downloaded this addon after the Sept 11 attack, and the addons was about terrorists that has dressed up as WW1 soldiers and were here to fight. - I mean that must have taken them, what half an hour?

The only descent mods out there are the TC's with atleast new graphics, possible source changes (but not necessary), obviously new maps, some sounds? but mainly that they fit together and the graphics aren't just the same shade of red for the guards top or, the ammo is just a black square.. See what i mean?

People who make DOOM add-ons should stop, as i started one back in 2000 and stopped because there's already like 50 of these and there's about 2 descent ones...

Now Wolfenstein into DOOM addons are great though Surprised)

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:58 am

Oh yeah Sockman, you also forgot to mention that Sandy stole content from Majik Monkee too. Wink I f**kin hate it when people steal content from other people, it just pisses me off. Angry
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:37 am

From Majik too? This pisses me off Evil or Very Mad Angry

What 2 good DOOM Wolf addons are there, jamez? My guess would be WolfenDOOM by AReyeP, and Dead World Rising by GreatWasabi. Well, those are my two favorite DOOM->Wolf addons. I really should throw one of those Wolf->DOOM addons into jDOOM someday.

I Hate handrawn graphics. You'd think it shows that the person put a lot of time into the graphics, but half the time they suck like you read about.

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:45 am

Yup for one of Sandy's add-ons she used Death Breath and never gave Majik credit, yes I played some of her add-ons because I died from boredom, and yes they all suck Exclamation Wink
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:23 pm

Glad I didn't waste my time downloading those. I say, if anybody meets more than 4 of these above criteria, they suck and should leave the Wolf community. End of story.

Just to mix things up, I'll make another "What annoys the crap out of you?" topic. Smile Very Happy Smile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:58 am

ack wrote:
The three things that drive me nuts...
- designers that mess with my registry and don't tell me (Wolf 3D - TexZK's Story v1.0)

I've to agree with ack! I am Sick of icons that Tex2K's Story created them, it took over those files wherever other addons are in different folders. So I am no longer accept Tex2K's Story to play with.... This make me Confused Confused

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:30 pm

Mikey X wrote:
Yup for one of Sandy's add-ons she used Death Breath and never gave Majik credit, yes I played some of her add-ons because I died from boredom, and yes they all suck Exclamation Wink

I'm agree with you. Sandy has e-mailed me many times asking the same thing. "ola soy sandy podria enviarme las imagenes...". In other words, she was asked by images to me and never has give me credits, and I know that no one will appreciate this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:44 pm

Those people that make the addons/conversions where it's based off of movies makes me mad.I mean,they're good conversions but people should come up with their own plot instead of remaking movies and making their own sequels and prequels to those movies.

Joshua
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:13 pm

I don't like it when people can't spell. Sorry, but this really get me angry! Alos that people do blah.blah without spaces between blah. and blah!

Sockman!

DHW 2004: The Spammers have risen.
A machine will terminate stupid topics.
It is called MODERATOR.

Good one!
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:05 pm

Thanks, ZuljinRaynor. Originally, the sig was going to be...

Quote:

The SPAMMERS rose from the ashes of the DieHard Wolfers Forums The war between the admin and the Spammerinators had raged for years, but the final battle would not be fought here, it would be fought in 2004. Tonight!

They sent a machine from the future to stop the retarded topics. It will feel no remorse, no mercy, no pain. It will terminate all pointless threads. It is called MODERATOR

...which in case you didn't get it, is a pun on the text at the beginning of the James Cameron film, The Terminator. But of course, the above is not 120 chars, so I shortened it enough to get the point across. Glad you got the joke.

Anybody noticed someone making a series of crappy games on the Dome? I'm not naming names, but he's made a string of crappy addons.

Who is it?

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:06 pm

Uh, Sockman.

Quote:

The SPAMMERS rose from the ashes of the DieHard Wolfers Forums The war between the admin and the Spammerinators had raged for years, but the final battle would not be fought here, it would be fought in 2004. Tonight!

They sent a machine from the future to stop the retarded topics. It will feel no remorse, no mercy, no pain. It will terminate all pointless threads. It is called MODERATOR

Uh, in that it first looks like the admin is the humans and the spammers are the Terminators but then it looks like the admin sends back in time the moderator who is a Terminator.

I don't get that. In T1 the Machines send back the T-800 and the humans send Kyle Rees but in T2 the Machines send the T-1000 and the Humans send the T-800.

You sorta messed it up a bit didn't ya.

But it also looks like you are saying the spammers are sending the moderator. That makes less sense. Please clear this up. Thanks Sockman.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:48 pm

I hate peoples level designs most of all, same boring crap one after another. Anyone play "Halo"? I HATE that game! The levels are to vague and they repeat themselves. I quit after a while, good thing I didn't pay for it... heh heh. Anyways, I somewhat feel for the crappy levels, because I make them! I'm probably the worst artist ever. I'm probably gonna stick to computer hardware thank you.
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:24 pm

Okay, first the idea is that the DHW forums were blown up (Terminator reference: 8-29-97, nuclear war) and the Spammers took over (Terminator reference: Skynet, Cyberdyne, etc.) they were stopped because the admin (Terminator Reference: TechCom forces, aka the humans) sent back the MODERATOR (Terminator Reference: Arnie in Terminator 2, or the T-800 if you wanna get techy) to terminate all the retarded topics.

Well it seems you know the Terminator universe like me. Tell me, have you seen the extended version of T2 with extended sequences: (If you've never seen Terminator 2, or don't give a shit, skip to the end)

-Surgery scene in garage: Sarah and John cut into Terminator to allow him to learn, Sarah goes whacko and tries to break the chip

-Extended scenes at Salceda's camp, John talks about fear with the Terminator

-More exposition on Miles Dyson (kind of a stupid scene)

-Some extended bits in the steel mill, most important, the part with the 2 Sarahs (one is really T-1000) the camera pans down to reveal the T-1000 melting into the grated floor, then he gets a hole through him.

Quite a fine two movies that are done there. Plus on the ULTIMATE DVD of T2, there's over 9 hours of special features to read/watch. Geeky guys like me enjoy this crap.

Oh, and it's Kyle Reese. BN38416 assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for termination.

I paid $50 for PC HALO, hmm, I wonder why I haven't played it since Christmas...

DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:00 pm

Sockman, it was because you mixed in T1 and T2 into the thing. And I have seen all 3 movies (The third one sucks and T1 I saw uncut in Spanish and cut in English only, T2 only cut and never the whole thing.) I want to see T1 and T2 uncut in English so I will borrow it from my library.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:49 pm

I hate all of them except the DOOM ones!
I had never noticed that Sandy took magik monkee's stuff...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:04 pm

But it happens. Sandy has ask by images for many wolfers (including myself) to gave to her some images. She have told me that I will be in the credits, but Sandy never has so it with anyone. She send me e-mail one time to acquire the ambients sounds tutorial in her language! Not Happy To me this is abuse. Actually I think she have leaved the community.
KyleRTCW
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 45
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:00 pm

I really suck at making maps, so sometimes I use concepts of other maps. I have no idea of what to make, even trying to write them on paper is hard. When I began mapping, I made my rooms like 5x5 or 3x5 (when I was 10 years old). But when you look at MCS's and AReyeP's maps, they are real good. I can't wait for EoD's because they have so much new features incorpated into there maps. I wish I was a map maker like Ack, AReyeP, MCS, BJ Rowan and other very good map makers. Sorry, but the majority of my Gfx in my Tc's are other's. Since I'm only 13, and my parents won't let me buy the expensive computer art tools (PSP8, not 3). What sucks, even if I want to, I don't have paitence to make them. Same with Sounds. If people don't like addons with other people's gfx and sounds etc. then don't play it. That's just how I make my TC's.

But overall, I dislike TC's with bad gfx, like "one-color" objects, guards, weird walls and statusbars. Like (NO OFFENSE TO ANYONEBut like the TC's like Kill Him Speical Edition. And I hate it when people release one TC after another. Put some effort into. Don't rush it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:10 pm

I understand you, but Sandy is different. She just want some people to get graphics to her. In this case, Sandy has take graphics from Majik Monkee (from HOS) and have released her add-ons as an homage to WSJ (no offense to him). In my opinion, get graphics from others without ask by permission, made a homage to others, lie about give credits is only annoying work.
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:44 am

-Awkwardly angle weapons (like they try to make the gun angled as it is in modern games, but they screw it up or make it in such a way that it would need source changes but don't give it any)
-Zip files of a game that come with their own folder in the zip file (I'm gonna unzip it into its own folder anyway, since I don't want the sticky mess that comes from assuming it has its own folder but doesn't)
-TCs that come with installers. A zip file does quite nicely, don't complicate things.
-(This would have to rank number one, and I don't know why people do this, but) Switching around the adlib sounds so they don't make sense! Wes' addon Wolfenstein Resurrection would have been the only one I really enjoyed, but when I hear a stab sounding like a medkit, a space bar sound that sounds like I'm picking up ammo, and menu sounds that are just f**ked up all together, I'm completely turned off by the game. I only got to level 5 when I just couldn't take it anymore, and then, since he did it in all his TCs, I didn't bother even getting past the first 5 seconds.
-Bugs that the author acknowledges and aren't that common or complicated that we the players are told to work around. Finish your damn game!

But mostly just no effort will do the job of pissing me off quite nicely.

-DAD

Last edited by Dugtrio17 on Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sockman
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:24 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Awkwardly angled weapons suck!
ASCII Example: wrote:

--------------------------------
|#################|
|#################|
|########C########|
|#######\\#########|
|########\\########|
|########}||#######|
--------------------------------
C = Center of Screen

Without source changes moving the gun to the right another 80 pixels, the perspective is ruined and aiming is virtually impossible.

Dugtrio17 wrote:

-Bugs that the author acknowledges and aren't that common or complicated that we the players are told to work around. Finish your damn game!

KNOWN BUGS: The game may crash, uh... randomly, for uh... no reason. Tough luck, dickhead! Hope you save often!!! Laughing

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 2 Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: