DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

How do you choose which mods you play?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 81
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:30 am
   Subject: How do you choose which mods you play?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

There are a lot of mods coming down the pike these days, and I haven't tried a whole lot of them, and it got me to thinking about what criteria I actually use when selecting which new mods I try. I have to be choosy, because the computer I surf the web on isn't the same one I play mods on, so anything I download I have to transport on disk all the way home before I can try it out. Needless to say, when I get a dud, I'm somewhat disappointed due to the amount of work it takes just to test it out.

Usually, I look for names of people I know as the authors (I know...I'm shameless), the title of a promising looking mod I've been waiting for, or sometimes just really good looking screenshots. I rarely download mods based simply on their features, and sad to say, I don't often download level only mods, though I'm trying to break that habit...I know I'm missing some good stuff! Embarassed

What about the rest of you? How do you decide what you download and what spends eternity sitting on Brian's server waiting for someone else to take pity on it? Smile

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 56
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:50 am
   Subject: Re: How do you choose which mods you play?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Screenshots is definitely a biggie. If a room looks rather bare, or there seems to be too many or to little guards that tends to make me veer. However, its really hard to tell since I just downloaded a mod recently (I won't say the name as not to offend.) because the screenshots looked rather nifty, but the level in the screen was nothing like the levels in the mod. They were all creator - esque yet no mention of the creator program being used. There were tables everywhere in giant rooms and it didn't make much sense at all. So its really hard to say the best way to judge.

DieHard SS

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:04 am

When deciding which mod to download, I look mostly for new graphics. I love the original wolf, and enjoy well made oringinal user levels, but I like to have a fresh experience with new weapons and characters. Of course, the new graphical stuff has to be well done, I'm not a fan of the 'silly' mods. But you can't always judge a mod by it's screenshots. When Coming of the Storm was released, I figured it would contain a couple of good levels and maybe a few added features *yawn* and passed on it. I eventually downloaded it out of boredom, and to my surprise, it was one of the best mods I've played yet!

I tend to stray from mods which exclusively use graphics from other existing games, or borrow stuff from other wolf mods, but there is an exception with these mods as well, like the beautifully executed 'Halls of Stonehenge' which I found to be really intruiging, despite using only Blood and Operation:BodyCount stuff. In fact I enjoyed it much more than O:BC!

But originality is the overall factor in deciding which mod to play.
Arielus
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 25
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:09 am

I download, play and keep every single thing that comes out, no matter the screenshots, no matter the comments, no matter the author...

Screenshots can be a good introduction, but they can be deceiving too... A badly-taken screenshot from a mod, an image not particularly attractive or rather unpleasant, may not make me feel interested in playing that mod, and I would be being misled, because that mod may actually be ground-breaking; or just the opposite can happen - a great screenshot can make me die to try the mod it's been taken from, but it may turn out to be a complete disappointment, because the screenshot only 'disguised' what the mod actually was...

Comments can be a good guidance too, but since everything depends on one's taste, I try to feel not that influenced by what others say... That doesn't happen sometimes, though... There are a couple of people with whom I have the pleasure of talking on a regular basis who pretty much share my points of view on what's worth playing and what's not, so things are different there - I do take into account what they foretell me about something they've played and I've not... And when they tell me that something is only average at best, that it's not very good, or that it amazingly sucks crap, I try that something all the same just to make sure - you never know how you're gonna react towards something you ain't seen for yourself...

The author... Well, certainly, the feeling of downloading something made by someone whose work you like is different from what the feeling of downloading something made by someone whose work you do not like is... Complicated way to put it into words, forgive my lack of language abilities sometimes, heh... Anyway, although it's something to take into account, I try to be cautious with this too... Someone whose past work should be thrown into sulphuric acid may come up with something quite good... I mean, it's natural that we improve at something if we keep practising that something, right? Also, the very king of superb mods may release something not up to your expectations... Anything can happen... Well, I'm sure a few people will never ever disappoint me, heh... Wink

So well, that's it. I just download, play, and keep every single thing that comes out... The amount of time I spend playing something depends on how much I abhor, dislike, like, or f***in' love that something... Mr Green

Ariel.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:39 am

How do I choose which mods to play...
...well screenshots help me a lot. Also the modifications that have been done (coding, graphics, etc). That is the major chose that I use when I download a mod. I never download mods with just level changes (yet I might consider if I hear good things about such as "Achtung", but if a mod has levels that have been made with the help of a level generator then I know it's pointless

I think to myself and I wonder if it's a great mod or not so I read up on the changes that have been done.

The mods that I have mostly enjoyed are by WSJ(he is a big favourite of mine), Majik(HOS - an excellent mod), WSJ Brother.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 15
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:56 am

with my connection it doesn't take me too long to download and test a mod or tc. That said I like to pick a few random ones here and there usually if they have an interesting title. Other than that, having a website devoted to a particular mod really helps in deciding to download it or not.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:56 pm

Firstly I look for the author to see if I have played anything of his before and whether his previous mods were any good etc.
Secondly, I read Brian's review to see what he thinks of it as he has been reviewing games for so long now, and I trust his good judgment with the impartiality.
Thirdly I think about the name of the game and what it could possibly mean. A well titled game is more often than not going to be downloaded by me.
And lastly, I like look at the screen shot in detail to see whether it has anything out of the ordinary in it or whether it has some well drawn guards or other sprites.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:31 pm

This is what I usually look for:

- If the mod has an interesting description, story, or title.

- If the mod has had good reviews. It's even more likely to get my attention if it has won a Dome award, but not necessarily. And I do not limit my collection of add-ons to only those that have won awards.

- If the mod has significant graphics/code changes. Maybe I'm shallow, but I prefer seeing new stuff in a mod, if the mod makes good use of it. I don't really like playing games that rehash the same stuff... that's just how I am.

- If the mod has intriguing screenshots. Again, I like new graphics, if they look nice. However, I'm kind of turned away by cartoony graphics.

Basically, I look for add-ons which I think will provide new and fun experiences. Unfortunately, I've become real picky about what I download, since I haven't had a lot of time to play add-ons/TCs lately. But I try to download the ones that spark my interest whenever I can.
The_EgAt
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 1
iceland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:33 pm

I try to download every mod I can find, but I only play the ones that have positive reviews.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:57 am

The_EgAT, I'm just curious...why download mods that you won't play? Confused

Andy
JackaL
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 30
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:10 am

I usually wont unless it has screenshots that look good, i look for brand new graphics, i would prefere new stats bar, new palette, new enemies, basically new everything thats y i cannot wait 4 EoD!! Cheesy Grin
Xarkon
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 18
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:16 am

Easy: Eenie, meenie, mynee, MOE!!! heheheh...

I agree with WSJ. Screenies, lots of hype and talk about it and stuff.
I cannot wait for TW and EoD too. There are a few great mods being created these days. Cant wait...

Joel Corrigan Smile

DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:42 am

Good screenshots and good reviews will usually pique my interest. Also, if it's a mod by an author that I've always been pleased with (like BJ Rowan or Gary Ragland), I'm a lot quicker to download it naturally.

Also, if it's something I've read about for a long time and it sounds interesting, I'll check it out.

Stuff that'll put me off:

- Screenshots showing either poorly made graphics or the same rehashed graphics from every other add-on. There were a ton of mods years ago that used the same "Totengraeber" / WolfenDOOM graphics over and over again with "Project: Gugenheimersplatzenspitzbringer" titles, and I hardly played any of them just because they looked unoriginal. Today, I've seen a lot of Spear Resurrection graphics being reused and that pisses me off, even if they asked AReyeP for permission (I don't know...maybe he's cool with it). I just get sick of seeing the same crap.

- Cheesy titles. Perhaps this is just biased, but c'mon... What am I supposed to think of a game called "l33tpwn4g3stein" made by a guy that calls himself JoMamazazz89 ? Thank God the major German title thing is losing popularity... Even though I have a basic knowledge of German, I don't want to play a game that has 26 syllables in it. "Hey Ian, what was the best game you played lately?" "Oh, it was Operation: Wirgelschlumperkatzensplitzenfluegerlichligkeit von der Gruenenmutterstein"...

- Bad representation. If an author is touting their game as being "SUPER COOLAZZZ SH***TTTTT MOFO KICKEN ADDON TC YEAH!", then I'm on to something else.

- Bad reviews. Though I don't go on reviews alone and I don't recommend anyone else should as well, I usually do put off trying out a game if I see about three or more reviews from people who have similiar tastes as mine really dumping on it. I usually will check the game out for myself eventually, but I probably won't be as eager to do so.

Anyway, that's me.

-Ian
The_EgAt
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 1
iceland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:45 am

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
The_EgAT, I'm just curious...why download mods that you won't play? Confused

Andy

I don't know, actually...

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 81
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:52 am

LMAO @ Ian's comments...Laughing

Man, that's some funny stuff...but very true at the same time...I follow some of those guidlines as well myself...and I can't remember if I said so or not before, but I also, like WSJ, look for new features and and new graphics with a lot of mods I download, though I will still download a maps only set if it's done by a well known and talented mapper.

I can understand the desire to download mods you don't play...hey...if stuff is free, why not take advantage of that? Oh, yeah...did I mention that I download and keep mods that suck badly? Shameless as it may sound, it's hard to resist the urge to keep them so that when your friends come over, you can say, "hey...wanna' see something that really sucks?" Embarassed

Oh, yeah...another thing I usually look for is that a mod have new levels. If it borrows some or all of it's levels from the original or another Wolfenstein, I usually steer clear of it. For example, there's a mod on the Dome right now called "Revenge of Poopdeck Willie". The game is a mixture of levels from HOS and the original Wolfenstein. True, the graphic are done in the original style instead of the ones used in HOS, but I've already played both of those games, so I wasn't terribly eager to play this mod because aside from the changes made in the levels, I'd done all that before. New graphics without new gameplay isn't really enough to get me interested in a mod, even if it used levels that were good in the game they originally came from.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:58 pm

I download everything, and play each mod at least a little bit to get a feel for whether I want to keep playing it. I usually don't, to be honest, but I keep each one and add it to my "Wolfmenu" DOS-based add-on swapper.

Halls of Stonehenge and Super 3D Noah's Ark were the last two games I completed. Nothing else has really "hooked" me lately, though I did re-visit and get through about 5 episodes of The Golden Episodes, because people were saying such good things about it (all true, btw).

I'm hoping End of Destiny will get my "Wolf-blood" flowing again. And Kreml 3D, Trench Warfare, Revival of Memories, Dalek War 2087AD, Operation: Fahrvergnuegen, Project: Eingeschlagende Stossstange, and ... well you get the picture Car

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:43 pm

I download mods people have said they liked. I may look at screenshots too, but not ushualy. If someone had taken a really long time to put it together I would at least have a looksy...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:21 pm

I usually look for very good positive mods like WSJ's and MCS plus alot of source code changes.

One thing I always hate is cartoony mods, that's what I remember them all way back to 1980's Smile
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:23 am

Source code mods or lack of don't really do much for my opinion of a game. If the game is good, the game is good. I have seen quite a few games that use a ton of cool source code mods, but then they throw in bad graphics and mediocre level design and totally ruin the feel of the game. So, when I see a game at the Dome that's advertised as being full of "Killer mods", it doesn't always grab my attention if the screenshots look bad. See if you can make sense of this post... I just woke up Razz

Anymore I've been drawn to levels-only sets or sets with very few source code changes. I sometimes go through phases like this when I won't play any really heavy-duty mods, and then something grabs my attention and I go crazy on another type of game, etc. So I guess my choice of add-ons / TCs really depends on what my attitude is at the time and what type of game I feel like playing... The only thing I care about in any game is wether or not it sucks Wink

-Ian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:14 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Screenshots, it's all about the screenshots for me.

Occasionally, if the mod is named after some other big name game, I may give it a download to see just how it translated (Usually with very poor results. *Looks in the direction of Metal Gear Solid).

Nowadays though, I just download whatever the new release is, take it for a test with a level or two, then stick with it if I like it.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: