DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Do away with the 'score' system?
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
ChiefRebelAngel
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:07 pm
   Subject: Do away with the 'score' system?
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

With Castle Helvete, I'm considering the 'removal' of the scoring system. I don't know if it is possible, but I would like to use the stat bar space for other things. What are your opinions on the treasure/kill score system? Is it still relevent to you when playing? Do you value a high score? Do you loath the abscence of a score system in modern fps??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:43 pm
   Subject: Re: Do away with the 'score' system?
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

While it's your mod and you should attempt to create something unique with it, please try to keep the score system in.

Half the reason I love Wolf3d is that it never takes itself too seriously. The score system keeps me grounded in reality and reinforces the notion that "It's only a game." Besides, half the reason a player will stick with your mod once they clear it will be to find secrets. Treasure and highscores are one of the reasons people seek out secrets. If you drop that, players will find fewer reasons to keep exploring the levels thus rendering a good chunck of your hard work for naught.

Whenever I play Wolf3d, I always try to scoop up as much treasure as I can find and get no greater thrill than stumbling into a secret room filled with bonus points! Of course, this also comes with the added bragging rights of showing off a high score to friends Wink.

Seriously, you're only hurting your mod if you drop it.
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:32 pm

I'm not sure of what your plans are with the status bar, but what about just rearranging the status bar a little and shrinking the numbers and fonts down to about half sized ? I would think this might give you a bit more room (not to mention a snazzy look) and allow you to keep the score system (which yeah, I miss in the FPS games of today)

Personally, I never saw much reason for the weapon-display icon on the status bar (beyond looking cool). Spear Resurrection totally did away with it, and I didn't really miss it myself. Have you considered doing away with this as well?

-Ian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:36 pm

Quote:
Personally, I never saw much reason for the weapon-display icon on the status bar (beyond looking cool). Spear Resurrection totally did away with it, and I didn't really miss it myself. Have you considered doing away with this as well?

Yeah, I never much liked that either. I mean, can't we already see what weapon we have anyway? At least Doom got rid of that. I think high scores are a good feature. The only thing is that the people should of set the scores higher! They are so easy to beat.
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:56 pm

While racking up tons of points might be fun, it's never been terribly important to me... I don't enjoy a game simply because I'm earning points. It's the experience of playing the game that's important, so a game can still be fun without points systems. I've noticed that many of the newer games have done away with scores altogether... you often don't even get the tallies of kills/secrets after completing a level anymore. But does that mean these games aren't fun? No. If the gameplay and the environment are well done, you'll have a good game.

So I think it would be OK to remove the score system... I don't think it would detract much from the more important aspects of the game.
wolfie3dfan
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:58 pm

Keep the scoring system but remove the photo of the weapon. And if there could be a code change to make the score tally up and make noises like in Planet Strike that would be sweet. And I do like to see the percentages at the end of each level. It is your game so to see what changes you prefer would be interesting as well. wishy washy polite me? Nah. Keep the damn score system.

Twisted Evil
Blitzkrieg
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 16
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:37 pm

Eh.....the scores wouldnt really matter. I'd still play it. After playing Wolf so many times I got sick of the scoring system.
As long as the game is entertaining and can hold my attention, its perfectly fine Cool
I'd like to play it.

- Been playing Wolf3D since '92 Smile! -

Email - cnyiszter@gmail.com (apparently the forum wont let me change my email in my profile ; -_- )
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:29 am

Well, IMO scores were really just made for games without endings. Back in the ol days (nyuk nyuk Razz), arcade games had no end to them, and it was very difficult to get to the end of ones that did, so how are you going to say you played better then the other person? Well uh, I just played longer and uh didn't die as much, and uh got more stuff than you. Prove it!

They couldn't. So now games have an end, and now some people focus more on game completion than score. I beat Wolf3d in 3 days! Yeah, well I beat it in 1 night! Finally, scores are only really satisfying, JMO, when I have friends to compete against. I love old atari games, but the only time I care too much about score is when I maxed it out to 99999 or whatever.

Score systems are innacurate and not universal. A game of pinball could have millions of points, but a game of streets of rage would never get past the 3 digit mark. So where's the comparison? I can't go say, well I made 6 million points on the Addams Family pinball game, but I only hit one target so I did better then you at SOR who made it through the game without losing any lives and nabbed a measly 500 points.

That probably didn't help at all, but its stuff to think about.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 15
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:40 am

If you end up removing the score, you're going to limit the number of lives the player can get to the 1-up powerups that you will have to leave around.

DieHard SS

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:24 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

'Points' well taken (HAhahhha...heh..uh...lame)

Well, both arguments for or against (?) are convincing. I figure, since scoring is important to about 60% of you, I will leave it in. Since I'm more interested in immersiveness and atmosphere, I'll just make the score area and numbers smaller. I'll make the treasure relevant to the plot, as well. I personally like a good gun icon, although it is not necessary and is mostly for looks. Just so you all know, this won't be a 'all sizzle no steak' kind of mod. I am working very hard to create a balance between cool scenery and well developed levels. This thing will have substance, not just 'fluff'.

The reason for score removal is also to make room for an armor icon. You pick up a vest, which gives you 100% extra health. The vest is represented on the stat bar just like BJ's face, and is aprox the same size. When you get hit, the vest will deteriorate, just like BJ's mug. My idea was to make the armor health seperate from BJ's. Say, if you have 15% health, and pick up a vest, you would then have 115%. Bj would still look like crap, but would be protected until the vest is destroyed. If you lost the vest, yet had found no food/first aid, you would still be at 15%.

Jeez I hope that feature will be possible!

*edit..I'm a horrible speller!*
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: