DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Coming of the Add-on
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:02 pm
   Subject: Re: Coming of the Add-on
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Haven't played WOV yet...but I'm gonna'...Laughing I have yet to select a mod that features either a flame thrower or rocket launcher...not because I avoid these mods, just that the ones I've selected didn't happen to have those weapons in them. Looks like I've still got something to look forward to...Very Happy

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:43 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I finally broke down and started playing this game last night...great mod! There was a lot to love about it, and a lot that depressed me too (mainly, things I thought I was using for the first time in Operation: Letzterschutz that were nearly identical to a couple things in this game). I liked the parallaxed sky and rain, the overall atmosphere indoors, and the rifle weapons (though I hate those sniper guys). Looking forward to finishing this one. I've had a good time with it, and I haven't even come across my first mutant or monster yet. Another great installment by WSJ! Cheesy Grin

By the way...just out of curiosity, who first developed that sniper soldier and those armored mutants with the spiked helmets? Those two enemies in particular really struck me as cool looking, and I've seen them used in a couple different projects. I'm not very familiar with a lot of TC's (yet), so I'm not sure where a lot of stuff originated... Think

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 3:17 pm

Thanks, I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far. Smile

Both of those enemies first appeared in my add-ons. The Sniper showed up in Castle Totenkopf, and the "Mechanoid Stormtrooper" (that's the cheesy name I finally came up with for the armored mutant guy Cheesy Grin ) appeared in Project Eisenritter. I made the graphics for both enemies using the Sergeant from Doom as a base. Originally, the Sniper was going to be a regular enemy, but I never got around to finishing all the frames for him. The Mechanoid Stormtrooper was based on a concept drawing I once made for a Nazi super-soldier... he had shiny iron armor with painted swastikas, a spiked helmet, and an MG42 machine gun. In the game, his armor was too dark and dully-colored, but it was pretty time-consuming to convert the Sergeant graphics by hand, and my graphics skills weren't very good back then... Embarassed
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:34 am

Well, I think they are both still very cool...nice work! If there's one thing I love, it's coming across cool new enemies...and this game has a lot of them that are all new to me. I assumed they were all your work, but I wasn't entirely sure. I've played a little further into the game...I played through this area where it started and ended with blue glowing balls of energy...I was playing at night with the lights out, and it was downright creepy...then it warped me back to the normal world, and I was like "...okay...what just happened??" Very cool...can't wait to see the end... Cheesy Grin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:51 am

Shocked All veiwers over 1000 love WSJ's TC 'Come of the Storm' belong with alot of replies. Cool

More TC will come up next by WSJ as I hope. Waiting for his younger brother to release another TC.. In future I will seek his TCs called WOV part 2. Laughing Laughing

*WSJ comes up with his ideas and start a new TC..*
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:58 am

The first WOV was just a demo, though, I think...so he wouldn't make WOV2 first, he would release the full length WOV first. That's another one I haven't gotten to play yet, but I've been finally playing a lot of WSJ's TC's I missed before since I'm currently at a standstill working on O:L (waiting for someone to code in weapons for me). I love WSJ's stuff...it all has great playability to it, and a very nice look and feel. I love how much original art he's done for his enemies...that's one of the high points for me. Cheesy Grin

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:39 am

Okay...I finished this game yesterday, and I have to say, it blew my expectations right out of the water! Fantastic! The best part is that while I was slowly and carefully navigating the levels (that's how I play), I noticed a lot of neat little touches that made it feel like a more "realistic" experience (like Nazis reading markings on the walls and stuff like that). A lot of it, whether it was meant to or not, felt like it was telling a story as I went. I won't give away anything to those who haven't played it yet, but the areas near the end where the Nazis and "other" enemies can both be found really gave the impression of the Nazis being hapless schmucks struggling to survive against the enemies they'd unleashed (I especially liked the part where it looked like the Nazis had baricaded the area they were in with barrels and were fighting for their lives). The final level wa unlike anything I was expecting, and had I known what I was in for, I probably would have played during the day, not at midnight with all the lights in the house off. This is the first mod I've played in a long time where I really thought I might not be able to beat the final boss without cheating, but I managed to barely survive. Even the ending sequence was rewarding and cool. Being a lover of "wierd" type games that still tie into the Wolfenstein storyline (like HOS), this game was right up my alley...it looks, sounds, and plays great. Heck...I'd play it again in a heartbeat (it's still on my PC, whereas a lot of mods get deleted when I finish them!). Great work, WSJ! Bravo! Cheesy Grin

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:06 am

Thanks, Majik. Smile And yes, most of the story-telling in COTS was done through my levels. I tried to make it so that things would be revealed to the player as he progressed deeper into the game. The Nazis sought a power beyond human comprehension, and through their meddling they unleashed dark forces they couldn't control. Many of them die... some fight to survive while desperately trying to protect their mission. After getting past the few remaining fanatics, the player finds himself face to face with the terrible power that the Nazis had sought.

Anyway, I like games that hold surprises and new things for the player to explore... I think that a game must have that in order to remain intriguing enough for the player to continue playing it. And that's what I tried to do in COTS. I'm glad to see that it worked for some people. Smile
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:08 pm

Well, it definitely achieved what you set out to accomplish. I hope other folks appreciate it for it's more subtle aspects like I did, and don't see it as just another first person shooter. I know I may be moving backwards here, but I've been downloading some of your earlier works because I enjoyed this and Heimzahlung so much. And don't worry...I plan to approach them as earlier work in case they're less developed then your newer stuff (I bet they still blow me away). Once again, great job with this mod! Cheesy Grin

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:27 pm

I too liked the whole "story-telling levels" thing. In Real Life you don't generally get big text screens popping out and telling you what's going on (or at least I don't). I loved the way that the player was left to make his own conclusions from all of the creepy happenings. Somehow it felt more realistic and helped to draw me further into WSJ's twisted world... *GASP*

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 97
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:53 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Coming of the storm I beat it i give it a 10/10 i want my TC to look like that Very Happy Cool Mr Green Cheesy Grin
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: