DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Mutant Strike is finished
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Allen
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 8
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:28 pm
   Subject: Re: Mutant Strike is finished
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ZuljinRaynor wrote:
Are you talking about the real Raven or the one from O:MS?

The one from "O:MS", of course! Vulcan Raven is an entirely different character.

Pixel Master

Topics: 81
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:20 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Good question...the answer according to me is that magic and herbs are good for bringing bodies back to life, but you can't beat a pair of chainguns when it comes to quick and efficient methods of dealing with enemies. While Vulcan Raven and "The Raven" are two different characters, they share something in common...they are both soldiers at heart, and both have their chosen method of engaging in combat with enemies...

Look for similarities between OMS2 and Metal Gear Solid as well. I'm not talking about the obvious fact that The Silver Fox looks like Revolver Ocelot...there are other subtle similarities, though you could argue that there's also a heavy dose of Resident Evil to the game as well. Hmmm...Metal Gear Solid + Resident Evil + Wolfenstein = OMS2? I guess so...Very Happy

Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:51 am

Majik Monkee wrote:
Good question...the answer according to me is that magic and herbs are good for bringing bodies back to life, but you can't beat a pair of chainguns when it comes to quick and efficient methods of dealing with enemies. While Vulcan Raven and "The Raven" are two different characters, they share something in common...they are both soldiers at heart, and both have their chosen method of engaging in combat with enemies...

Look for similarities between OMS2 and Metal Gear Solid as well. I'm not talking about the obvious fact that The Silver Fox looks like Revolver Ocelot...there are other subtle similarities, though you could argue that there's also a heavy dose of Resident Evil to the game as well. Hmmm...Metal Gear Solid + Resident Evil + Wolfenstein = OMS2? I guess so...Very Happy

Sounds like a rather odd equation, but "odd" WOLF add-ons were always my favourites.
Does this mean Silver Fox is actually going to use lugers/handguns of some sort? I never encountered bosses who use lugers.

Well, as long as least one feature of the game is somewhat innoative, I'll be pleased.

Um, just how many levels are there in "O:MS" 2?

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:44 am

Well, I can tell you this without spoiling anything...Silver Fox attacks with a army revolver, which only fires one shot at a time. The power of the shots makes up for the lack of rapid fire like most chaingun bosses have. One nice feature, though, is that he can't fire more than six shots at you before he has to fully reload his weapon...that's a first for me too, to be honest. I've never played a mod that had a boss that attacked with a single shot pistol (the ones I have actually had it set so that the boss may have looked like he was firing once, but it was doing continuous damage like a chaingun). I thought this would be a nice change, and it is, in my opinion.

Just to put your mind at rest, none of the elements of MGS or RE that are in the game were put there just for the sake of being put there...they all happened naturally, and we just noticed them later. I think they're subtle enough for the most part that the casual gamer might not even notice...

There will be ten levels in OMS2, just like OMS1...and no secret level, as before... Cheesy Grin

Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:57 am

Majik Monkee wrote:
Well, I can tell you this without spoiling anything...Silver Fox attacks with a army revolver, which only fires one shot at a time. The power of the shots makes up for the lack of rapid fire like most chaingun bosses have. One nice feature, though, is that he can't fire more than six shots at you before he has to fully reload his weapon...that's a first for me too, to be honest. I've never played a mod that had a boss that attacked with a single shot pistol (the ones I have actually had it set so that the boss may have looked like he was firing once, but it was doing continuous damage like a chaingun). I thought this would be a nice change, and it is, in my opinion.

Just to put your mind at rest, none of the elements of MGS or RE that are in the game were put there just for the sake of being put there...they all happened naturally, and we just noticed them later. I think they're subtle enough for the most part that the casual gamer might not even notice...

There will be ten levels in OMS2, just like OMS1...and no secret level, as before... Cheesy Grin

Reloading bosses in WOLF 3D? That's one refreshing change from these "RATATATATATA, pause, RATATATATATA" bosses. And when I think of it, I never encountered bosses that don't use heavy weapons - they're all walking tanks of some sort. For once, I'd like to see a nice luger-based gunfight. And I think you made my dream come true.
About there subtle elements... Do they enhance gameplay or atmosphere?

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:39 am

Well, that depends. Most of them are story based, so you won't notice a lot of them in the actual game...but if you read the story bits in between certain levels (I know some people ignore story entirely), and if they enhance your gameplay experience any, I think that the cutscene story bits will enhance the game by giving you a sense of purpose and helping evoke some emotional responses to events in the game. The first game was very mission oriented, and so is the second, but it's not all cut and dried like the first...I can't really say more on that topic without giving anything away, but I think that folks who actually read and take in the story elements of the game will get a lot out of this one.

I haven't played all the mods out there, so I'm not sure if there have been a lot of other bosses developed that use different techniques than the traditional ones for their attacks (kudos to WSJ for his flamethrower using boss in COTS), but I wanted to capture the essence of the character used for the Silver Fox, and I felt it just wouldn't be right if his trademark weapon was a revolver but his behavior just mimiced Hans. When Dum first mentioned he wanted to use the character in the game, I thought, "Hmmm...I know all the frames for the character are there, but how do you make it so they really fit a boss in the game?" Luckily, our coder was able to come through with what sounded to us like an impossible request for changing the bosses behavior... Cheesy Grin

Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:02 am

Majik Monkee wrote:
Well, that depends. Most of them are story based, so you won't notice a lot of them in the actual game...but if you read the story bits in between certain levels (I know some people ignore story entirely), and if they enhance your gameplay experience any, I think that the cutscene story bits will enhance the game by giving you a sense of purpose and helping evoke some emotional responses to events in the game. The first game was very mission oriented, and so is the second, but it's not all cut and dried like the first...I can't really say more on that topic without giving anything away, but I think that folks who actually read and take in the story elements of the game will get a lot out of this one.

I haven't played all the mods out there, so I'm not sure if there have been a lot of other bosses developed that use different techniques than the traditional ones for their attacks (kudos to WSJ for his flamethrower using boss in COTS), but I wanted to capture the essence of the character used for the Silver Fox, and I felt it just wouldn't be right if his trademark weapon was a revolver but his behavior just mimiced Hans. When Dum first mentioned he wanted to use the character in the game, I thought, "Hmmm...I know all the frames for the character are there, but how do you make it so they really fit a boss in the game?" Luckily, our coder was able to come through with what sounded to us like an impossible request for changing the bosses behavior... Cheesy Grin

So he's not a Hans clone either, eh?
This is going to be at the top of my list.
Anyhow, I'll stop asking so much questions, so the WTF factor stays intact.
I'd just like to say I think you and Dum are more talented and creative than I could imagine.

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:36 pm

No worries...if you ask anything that's supposed to be a secret, I just won't tell...

Nope...The Silver Fox isn't a Hans clone...he started out as Hans, but now he resembles him very little...thanks for the compliment...I'm not sure Dum and I are any more creative than anyone else, we just happen to be working on a project that has a couple things that are a little "different" in them...glad you liked OMS1, though, and are looking forward to OMS2...Very Happy

Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:59 pm

Majik Monkee wrote:
No worries...if you ask anything that's supposed to be a secret, I just won't tell...

Nope...The Silver Fox isn't a Hans clone...he started out as Hans, but now he resembles him very little...thanks for the compliment...I'm not sure Dum and I are any more creative than anyone else, we just happen to be working on a project that has a couple things that are a little "different" in them...glad you liked OMS1, though, and are looking forward to OMS2...Very Happy

Hm.. So one last thing..
When are we going to see "O:MS" 2?

DieHard Officer

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:04 pm

So much for MGW to be the first game to use the Colt Single Action Army. But I got a trick that will make it even better. Evil or Very Mad
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:05 pm

Well, I hate to set dates...and Dum is out of town for a couple of days...but I can safely say that work is being done daily on this project, and it's coming along at a much faster rate than some of our projects in the past. I'm really not sure what to tell you time wise, but I can tell you this...it should be finished in less than a month...whether anyone will notice or not if it comes out when EOD does is questionable, but release won't be delayed because of that...I'll start posting more updates as progress continues...here's the current breakdown:

graphics - 100%
sounds - 100%
endarts - 50%
levels - 60%
coding - 100%
manual - 50%

As you can see, all the main stuff is finished...just a couple more levels to go and the other minor details, and it should be ready...most testing takes place during the actual development process... Very Happy

Can I Play Daddy

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:24 pm

Well... Only two more questions, then I won't bother you again... Not until "O:MS 2" is released, anyway. (Just kidding)

1) The Raven had a nice greeting one-liner, but I couldn't hear his "defeat" one-liner. What did he say?

2) Who killed Col. Muller? Was it Jill, or that nasty Chimera?

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:48 am

1. The Raven's opening line was "Now you will die", which you obviously heard...his cryptic defeat phrase was "I will be watching..."

2. I guess you could say both of them killed him. Jill softened him up with her onslaught of bullets, causing him to stop fighting momentarily...just long enough for the Chimera to get it's paws on him...which was the real end for Muller...

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:52 am

It's not called the Colt Single Action Army in this game, though...it's not specified really (Dum took care of the details of the characters in the game, and while that is the weapon of choice of Ocelot in MGS, I'm not sure Dum included that detail in the documentation...so yours will still be the first...) It's just refered to as the revolver most of the time, which is pretty generic...Just so you know, I never discussed MGW with Dum, and he has no knowledge of the project...any similarity between bosses for it and OMS2 is purely coincidental...

I was actually thinking more of Tomb Raider 4 and Half Life when I mentioned to Dum that revolvers would be a good weapon to be used in a wolf mod. That was back during the development of OMS1, but he was too late to implement the idea, since the game was almost over. It might have had some influence on his choice of final boss for OMS2, though...

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:44 am

Well, progress has been a little slower on this mod lately than it has been in the past, but that's mainly because Dum has been out of town. I've been testing some of the levels submitted by one of the other mappers for this game, and they look great...they fit the theme of the game perfectly.

Dum contacted me and asked me to change one of the enemies. Without giving anything away, let me just say that the new enemy is kind of a "stealth enemy", similar in idea to the zombies that lie around until they "see" you, but it's also very different. So say goodbye to the gray zombie who replaced the dog in OMS1...it won't be making an appearance in OMS2.

Not much else that can be reported on the OMS2 front...as before, it will be finished when it's finished...can't say too much else. Cheesy Grin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:45 am

There have been some delays on this project the last few days. I've been out of town and haven't had a chance to do much with it, besides have Majik change some graphics. Luckily he has the answers to the questions here so you have not had to wait. For any of you who liked the first game, there is talk it is being ported into the Doom engine also, but I have not had the first hand details about this, and am not the one working on the project, though I have heard it is going well.

I hope to resume working on OMS2 full time again. The holiday season is always crazy but I hope to get a lot done before holidays arrive. This sequel will take a little longer to finish than the first game did, but that's a sign of hard work, right? Very Happy
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:27 am

Hey, folks...here's a promotional banner for OMS2 that Dum asked me to whip up. It's as close to a "spoiler" for the game as you'll get, since there won't really be another info about it released until the game comes out. Dum asked me to tell you all that progress is going well, but no release date is going to be set until we're sure it's a day or two away. That's it for now...Enjoy!

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:53 am

If anyone is still watching this thread, I have a question about level 7 in the first Mutant Strike. Has anyone had any trouble completing this level due to blocks not sliding back as far as they should? The puzzle was designed to take into account that blocks usually only slide back three spaces (sometimes four), but there's been a report of some of the blocks only going back two spaces, which apparantly isn't enough to access some passages. I haven't seen this happen myself, but I wanted to check and see if it happened to anyone else and just wasn't mentioned (I'm guessing not too often since several people have reported finishing the game).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:38 pm

I don't have any problem when level 7 is completed Neutral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:32 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, due to the rigors of day to day life, the pace of this project's completion is considerably slower than that of the original. This is not entirely a bad thing, though. The people involved in creating it are very busy these days, and I'm thankful they are willing and able to help as it is. To those of you who are watching the progress of OMS2, I apologize for the fact that it will be longer than expected till it's finished, but at the same time, why kill ourselves? All I can promise is that when the game comes out it is going to be even better than the first, and well worth the wait. EOD will probably come out before OMS2, so I hope you remember the series after EOD hits...if not, I'll try to remind you. Laughing
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: