DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Guild of Darkness I Remake and RP System add-on Release
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:39 pm
   Subject: A decision to make on TCs...
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Ok, it's been about three years since I've been here, but here I go.

How many of you remember a mod I made under the name Tetraarchangel called "Guild of Darkness: Episode I"? Well, as many of you know, it wasn't exactly the best TC for the Wolf3D community to enjoy (I heard that I made the officers a bit too fast). Anyways...

A friend of mine told me that it needed work, but he wanted to see the continuing episodes of the TC. So I'm left with a decision.

First of all, if you haven't played Guild of Darkness, it should be on the Wolfenstein add-on library at http://www.wolfenstein3d.co.uk/

1) Do I move forward to Episode II and continue the storyline?

OR

2) Do I remake Episode I and try to add on all the cool new mods that have been added as of late?

I'd like to know what to do in this situation, so I know what to spend the next 5 weeks of winter break on...

Thanks.
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:31 am
   Subject: Re: A decision to make on TCs...
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, I found it not to be a bad TC, rather combat was entirely different. Take advantage of this. You could do one of two things:
-Slow down the guards, but still make them alot faster than usual,
or
-Keep guards the same speed, but make it so it integrates well into levels, like such that it works with floor codes to create surprise attacks from "emergency deployed" guards from across the map.
Either way, complicate the levels up a bit and, erm, work on the textures a little more. An entirely new set of guard graphics could add to it as well.
Also, if you're going to base it on MCS' Wolfenstein Collection, give him a little credit or at least change the BAT cheat Wink

Topics: 3
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:52 am

Remake Episode 1, and slow down the guards. Treasures should be more detailed, not just bigger.
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:09 am

Leave the guards fast! And build the levels to suit their speed, like Dugtrio17's second suggestion.

The super high speed of the dogs and officers made this a very memorable mod for me, and I would feel cheated if you slowed them down in future releases of "Guild of Darkness". Sad

Andy
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:02 am

I thought the stupid guard speed was a nice original feature... made the mod stand out a bit. The only trouble I thought with the mod was that the map design could be better! In fact, what's been said already. As regards a remake, that might be cool. But don't slow down the guards too much.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:59 pm

The remake (if there is one) will have the guards slowed down slightly, but still the fastest of any mod.

I also want to add an RP system in either the remake or #2. I made the RP system just now and I'll show you all it tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:39 pm
   Subject: Guild of Darkness I Remake and RP System add-on Release

As I have stated in an earlier post, me, being a huge fan of RPG and FPS, am trying to experiment a way to bring the two genres together.

I think I have finally found a way, and it took only 20 minutes to make.

This link leads you to the Wolfenstein "add-on" Guild of Darkness 0: Blast from the Past (I had to come up with something snazzy in only half an hour...) Razz

Basically, nothing has changed. Here are the regular features of the game:

- 10 levels using the Wolf3D Creator (50 additional levels if you use the warp function).
- ILM cheat still works (it's supposed not to in order for this RP system to work, so PLEASE don't use it).
- Classic Guild of Darkness character speeds, including the "Speedy Gonzalez" Officers, "Turtle" Soldiers, Dogs that run faster than a cheetah, etc. They are fast, but not as fast as to the brink of insanity like last time.
- A modified Guild of Darkness point system (I just picked random numbers and went with it).

Now, about the RP system:

I've been trying to find ways to integrate the RP system and the FPS system together. Although Guild of Darkness 0 and possibly the #1 remake will bring about very simplistic RPG designs, it still works. In this game, your score is your experience. You only have 1 life, so I insist if you want to see the whole thing in person, set up a debug and go to God Mode. ("goobers" is still the password).

So how does the RP system work? When you gain a certain amount of "points", you level-up, like in any RPG. The maximum amount of health you can have increases as well as the amount of ammo. Pretty soon, I can integrate the level to speed as well, making the main character slightly faster as it levels up. The Nazis will also get stronger as you move up on floors. It might not look like it now, but you can see this difference through the warp.

If you want a demo example: First, start up Wolf3D through debug and go on the easiest level (I will integrate it for all 4 difficulties later). Fight some of the guys in level 1. You'll notice that you can kill off an SS with one bullet of a pistol! Now, warp yourself to level 52 and battle a Soldier. You'll notice that it might take you (at level 1) around 50-60 bullets to kill that 1 soldier. You'll be able to level up as well. A point system was created so that you get more points if you battle tougher soldiers on higher floors. The power of your weapons increase as you level-up as well. Try them out for yourself.

You're only given 1 life so if you die, you die, that's it. As I said, I only spent 30-45 minutes on this, so I will do a more thorough check for the TC remake of Guild of Darkness 1. However, test this RP system for yourself NOW with Guild of Darkness 0 and leave any comments. I know, it's a VERY VERY rough draft of what is to come, but I did all that I could. The link below will lead to the download.

http://www.freewebtown.com/tetracommentary/rpsample.zip

WARNING: For best results, use the easiest difficulty level ONLY! If you use normal and hard, it'll be the same but it'll be tougher to kill off the enemies.

------------------------END OF RP SYSTEM NEWS------------------------------------

--------------------BEGIN ANNOUNCEMENT NEWS HERE---------------------------------

Ok, because you said so, I will redo it. The Guild of Darkness I will be remade. Here's how it will change compared to the original.

- 48 levels (40 regular, 8 secret) instead of a long drawn out 60 regular levels.
- The Integrated RP system shown above
- Some slowing down of guards, but still the fastest any mod will bring ya.
- More detailed storyline.
- More weapons (probably only 2 more though), including some usable items.
- Different EVERYTHING (with a few exceptions). This includes the soldiers, officers, SS, bosses, etc. EVERYTHING will be changed for the remake.
- POSSIBLY (no promises yet) new guards for the game.
- The Blue Zone and most of the Gray Zone will now be used as tutorials to learn how to use different weapons/items (beneficial to the community altogether for those that are just newbies in the Wolf Community).
- Entirely NEW sounds (can't say they'll be of high-quality though). Sounds have never been my forte, and neither has it been for my FloEdit either, but I don't want it to sound like Wolf3D. I want to give it a "wacky" ambience to the game.
- And if I find a tutorial for it, I want to also add on the Doom-like messages that appears on the top, kinda like what Areyep has for End of Destiny.

Again, if you want to see the bad guys faster for Guild of Darkness 1 (after you play GoD0) then post here that you want faster guards, and the more that post, the faster they'll be (memory provided).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:51 pm
   Subject: Re: Guild of Darkness I Remake and RP System add-on Release

For those that have downloaded the RP system GoD0. I remade it and updated the RP system and will release it on Monday. This time, if you push the 'S' key you should be able to see your stats (strength/defense), and how much points you need to "level-up". Next will come speed for you and the enemy, soon as I figure out how...
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 108
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:25 pm

I think this is what Andy wanted to get. Stats and level up I mean.

DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:45 am

This is a nice idea, Harpuia, about RP and FPS combined in Wolf. A couple Wolfers here have some RPG type mods in the work, which I think is really great (I'm not a diehard RPG fan, but I enjoy a few basic ones from time to time).

At any rate, I think it's great that people are trying new ideas out with Wolf to keep the gameplay fresh and innovative Smile Also, a belated welcome back to the community and welcome to the forums @ you Smile

-Ian

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:23 am

IanFranken wrote:
This is a nice idea, Harpuia, about RP and FPS combined in Wolf. A couple Wolfers here have some RPG type mods in the work, which I think is really great (I'm not a diehard RPG fan, but I enjoy a few basic ones from time to time).

At any rate, I think it's great that people are trying new ideas out with Wolf to keep the gameplay fresh and innovative Smile Also, a belated welcome back to the community and welcome to the forums @ you Smile

-Ian

Yeah, I know.

Sadly, I forgot to bring the stuff with me. I'll show the mod tonight or tomorrow...

But the new features in this next demonstration is:

- I used the wolf creator to make another 60 levels (you can only see 10 of them).
- Pushing 'S' will give you the full stats of your character.
- More randomized level-ups.
- More randomized experiences. (The higher you go in difficulty, the more XP required to level up).

The stats command, when you push S should look like this:

HP: 49/49
Ammo: 48/48
(In GoD1, there MIGHT be 2 more different types of ammo in this game, rockets which will stay always at 5-10 max, and sniper bullets which will increase at about half the pace of the normal ammo. The sniper bullets will replace the HP stat.)
Strength: 10
Defense: 11
XP to Level: 500

That's just a sample. Minus the () of course.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:55 pm

http://www.freewebtown.com/tetracommentary/rpsample.zip

New Features:
- Push 'S' to see your RP stats.
- Random level ups now (no more fixed at +5 HP, +3 ammo and so on)
- Tougher experience curves for higher levels
- 10 new levels straight from the Wolf Creator program
- Debugmode only needs 'Backspace' key to activate (with 'goobers'). However, it will erase your stat display.
- ILM and BAT cheats are now GONE.

That's pretty much all the new stuff.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:59 am

I was playnig this earlier and had a few suggestions.

Why don't you use WSJ's IN game messages to inform the player that he has leveled up? And how about displaying the amount of exp you HAVe as well as what you need.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:49 am

Deathshead wrote:
I was playnig this earlier and had a few suggestions.

Why don't you use WSJ's IN game messages to inform the player that he has leveled up? And how about displaying the amount of exp you HAVe as well as what you need.

I was planning to get the in-game messages up next. Soon as I could find a tutorial on how to actually do that. As well as everytime you kill an enemy, I wanted to show how much experience you need.

And the amount of XP you have is your score. To find out what you need to level up, push 'S' for stats.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:00 am

Harpuia wrote:
10 levels using the Wolf3D Creator (50 additional levels if you use the warp function).

Ah yes... the universal anyone can create a mapset in seconds... Why not try making the maps yourself? Then things will be challenging for both yourself and the rest of us once you release it. Creator maps are easily spotted unless you take the time to make the maps your own. And if you don't edit them yourself, you are missing out on many of the techniques and options that can make a great game because the creator doesn't think about strategy to complete a level.

Just my two cents worth...

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:03 am

BrotherTank wrote:
Harpuia wrote:
10 levels using the Wolf3D Creator (50 additional levels if you use the warp function).

Ah yes... the universal anyone can create a mapset in seconds... Why not try making the maps yourself? Then things will be challenging for both yourself and the rest of us once you release it. Creator maps are easily spotted unless you take the time to make the maps your own. And if you don't edit them yourself, you are missing out on many of the techniques and options that can make a great game because the creator doesn't think about strategy to complete a level.

Just my two cents worth...

Greg
BrotherTank

I'm designing the levels to GoD1 myself. I'm not using the Wolf3D Creator. That was simply so I could demonstrate the RP system on this.
andy3012
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 29
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:01 am

Kool, im not going to download it yet, but anyway good job, im a naf coder n i had worked on this for a while, i could never get experience to display right on the hud, and actually using the points system is a very good idea.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:55 pm

I WANNA SEE KOOL DEMON SPRITES LIKE ON DIABLO AND SIMILAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I over-reacted I think

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:16 pm

Update:

I've been looking through the original GoD1 to see which ones I want to keep. I'm leaving it to the community here to decide which ones to keep.

Level 4 - The Deformed Chessboard
Level 35 - The Assault
Level 58 - The Core

These are the only 3 levels that had decent enough map designs for me to keep. If there's anyone else who's played the original and found any other levels worth saving, let me know.

Finally, I'm trying to find a way to shrink my 5.04k sprite files to <4k sprite files so that FloEdit will actually fix them. If anyone knows how to pull this off let me know. I used compression on Adobe Photoshope and I'm still 150 bytes over. Heh.

That's the update for now. RP system updates to come.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:44 pm

2nd Update:

I've decided on having the remake have the French castle have a toon-ish environment to it, since as you all know the Satchmo isn't one of the most diabolical characters around...

I've finally fixed the sprite problem. That's pretty much all the updates.

On top of all the levels I want to recycle for this game, I need to know any ideas for expanding the RP system, anyone?
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:54 pm

I would like to see more rpg classic weapons like the bow, sword, etc.

Mapping Master

Topics: 164

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:23 am

Last edited by Thomas on Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:34 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I apologize for the lack of updates, but I had finals.

Ok, I read through the whole original story, and, although I like the elements, the story seemed detached from the game.

So... I've decided to give the story a face-lift of sorts.

Oh yeah, and I finally got level 1 done. It looks sorta cartoonish, but that's what I was aiming for when I started this thing in the first place. Anyways... that's all the updates here.

Hmmm... one more thing I need to ask. I brought back the officer blurs (although you won't see such until the later levels, hehe...) so I was wondering, these blurs need style and color. So... what color would you guys like to see?
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: