DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolf3D Newsletter
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:38 am
   Subject: Re: Wolf3D Newsletter
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Deathshead wrote:
And how about somebody does reveiws on software? Redux? DosBox? Chaos? This would make people more aware of the stuff they can use for WOLF to enhance their gaming.

As long as you're willing to do it, then sure. I'm just trying to avoid writing this whole thing up by myself and I don't want to get stuck writing someone else's column Wink

But seriously, someone to do overviews of different software for Wolf and DOS gaming could be quite useful. If you feel like doing this (think about it), then e-mail me at wolfbytes@mail.com and we'll talk it over.

-Ian

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:00 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well I don't think Wolf-Bytes will make it out today. Dammit.

Seems my server is having some problems. I'm pretty sure everything is ok on my end. I haven't changed a thing since it was set up and working fine, and I already scanned through all the PHP / HTML / CGI to make sure it was set up properly and I found no errors. I suppose it's just something on my ISP's end, as I can't send even a single test e-mail out, and I'm sure some subscribers are probably having some problems as well.

I already got an e-mail from one subscriber who said he didn't get his confirmation e-mail. Best I know of, subscriptions were working fine up til Nov. 7th.

I'm looking into everything to see if I can find a solution / explanation ASAP.

-Ian

DieHard SS

Topics: 28
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:08 pm

Don't fret dude, everything will be good. I'm looking forward to this. Will it be html this time?

Here's to our community's news letter! Beer
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:15 pm

Thanks Chief Smile

Yeah, this issue will be the first with an HTML design. It's nothing flashy, just enough to make navigation a little easier and spruce up the formatting so it doesn't fall all over the place. There'll even be an occasional pretty picture in there, too.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with this issue. I think it truly is the best yet. It's bigger than the second and a rather long read at points, but I couldn't bring myself to edit anything out. It flows really well I think and really feels connected. Hopefully everyone will dig it. Besides, everyone keeps e-mailing, PMing and IMing me saying they want more stuff and bigger issues, so hopefully this will bring you all one step closer to a Wolf O.D. Smile

I don't want to tell too much and ruin any surprises, but Hair Machine and Dugtrio17 have both contributed to this issue, and they've done a great job. Dugtrio has his own column called "Coding Corner" where he'll offer some great coding tips and tutorials. I'm really excited about this. Hair Machine will be helping me out with some of the writing which is quite helpful, and he has already sent me a very cool review. I'm gonna start bombarding him with writing assignments soon =) Hehe.

I hope to have these server problems sorted out soon. I think it's some sort of issue with the 'sendmail' function, but since it's all in Dutch it's a bit, er, confusing Confused

-Ian

DieHard SS

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:29 pm

Damn dutch! That's great to hear that Wolfbytes will be in HTML format. Would you except advertisements? Like perhaps a very small banner, of just a small .gif?

Maybe something along the lines of Majik's Mutant Strike 2, or perhaps a smaller version of Metal Overlord's TGOEL flash banner? That would spice things up a bit, and perhaps these 'ads' could be offsite links so the news letter wouldn't explode to like 5 mega bites.

Other than that, keep 'em coming. Too Cool
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:12 pm

Yeah I had thought about doing banner ads and "advertisement space" as well for people's games, sites, what-not. It wouldn't take up much space (since all the graphics would be offsite linked). It'd probably be best to put a limit on the amount of images allowed, due to loading time and browse-a-bility (is that a word? It is now!) and do a sort of "banner exchange" or such. I'd have to do some tests to see and how it'd work out, but yeah, it's a possibility.

In other news, the service still isn't working. I sent out a test e-mail to all the subscribers on the list as a last-ditch resort to see if it would work, but best of my knowledge noone received anything. I'm trying out some other services to see if it's just this service glitching up, or if it's an ISP problem, or if I should resort to praying to some voodoo god for assisstance...

-Ian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:58 am

Best of Luck with the project, Ian. Smile
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:29 am

Well, praise the Lord... Wolf-Bytes issue #3 is out!... After much delay Laughing

My server has finally come out of its electronic coma, and the new issue was sent out just a few minutes ago. I'm receiving the e-mails fine, and the service tells me everything went smoothly. If anyone did not receive their copy, please let me know.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys this issue. It's a long read, but I enjoyed it and I hope it was worth the wait. Comments / questions / suggestions, as always, more than welcomed.

And also, as always, thanks a lot to the contributors, and the readers and supporters!

-Ian

Edit: Well damn. Deathshead didn't get his issue so far, so I don't know about everyone else. This may be "back to the drawingboard"-time Angry

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:23 am

IanFranken wrote:
Well damn. Deathshead didn't get his issue so far, so I don't know about everyone else. This may be "back to the drawingboard"-time

I got it! Pretty good issue. I love reading stuff by Hair Machine, Xarkon, and Dugtrio17 (they're all pretty darn creative on the fourms; probably my favorite writers here), so this is definately a positive thing to me. The html style works well, with some funny underlining (guess that can help me keep track of what paragraph I'm on while reading - lol). I still haven't read it all yet, might save some of it for when I'm more awake later... but just thought I'd post to say that I got it. If anyone wants a copy and didn't get one, just send me your email and I'll forward it to you. I'm choksta[at]hotmail.com. Wink
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:57 am

Thanks Chris, glad you like it so far Smile I was really pleased to have Hair Machine and Dugtrio on board, I think they both really contributed some great stuff and I hope they're up for another issue. Also, the Ringman interview was pretty cool, and Xarkon's review turned out pretty good as well. In hindsight, it would've been best to include some screenshots of Depth Dwellers in there and I actually forgot to check and see how it looks with Mozilla / Netscape (I know, a webdesigner's deadly sin), so hopefully it looks ok with a browser other than IE. Feel free to slap me silly Razz

Actually, I just remembered something that I posted here and on the Wolf-Bytes site... If you didn't get this issue, be sure to check your Junk Mail / Spam folder to make sure your e-mail service / client didn't automatically filter it as spam. This happens a lot with e-mails larger than 20K or so or ones with a lot of graphics (that's why I prefer to keep the graphics low). If it did filter it as spam, you can usually tell your e-mail service to not do so. Consult the "Help" system specific to your client for info. I know I had to do this while I was using YMLP.com for the newsletter, but since I switched services you may have to do this step again. Sorry dudes. You can slap me for that, too.

Also, I've had some weird experiences with Yahoo and Mail.com based e-mail. Sometimes e-mails don't come in for up to two days. If you're on either one of those services, and you haven't received anything for two days at least, ask me or your Wolfer neighbor for a copy Smile

-Ian

DieHard SS

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:02 pm

What can I say? Excellent as usual. The new format really shines, and is easier to read! I liked the interview with Ring-boy, he's quite a card.

*edit*...and Depth Dwellers?!? I soooo remember playing that game, with the teleporting miners and that golden rocket launcher!!
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 7:56 pm

Thanks Chief! You've always been a strong supporter of Wolf-Bytes, so I'm glad you thought this issue was a good one. And I'm glad to know you got your copy... I'll ask Deathshead later on if he checked his Spam / Junk Mail folders.

Hope everyone else is enjoying the read. This was a big, but very fun, issue to put together. I'll update the Wolf-Bytes site soon and get this issue archived later on.

-Ian

DieHard SS

Topics: 1
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:21 pm

I just checked Wolf-Bytes for the first time, it's very good. I like the interviews, and it's very well thought of. The people you picked to reviews do a very good job of reviewing the mods. I mean it's not like 1 line reviews, it's very detailed. Keep up the good work Ian.
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:49 pm

Thanks Mikey... It's always great to see the hard work and thought everyone puts into this thing truly does pay off and everyone enjoys it Smile Everyone who contributes works very hard and tries their best, and I'm glad to see it's not going to waste.

-Ian

Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:10 am

Love the new html format Ian - much better than the old text style given it can incorporate pictures and titles etc. Simple, yet effective, and doesn't try to go overboard with flashy design yet bare content ...
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:12 am

Now I can give Ian some exclusive SDD shots....
Schabbs
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:38 pm

I like the new html format very much, Ian. The content is quite detailed like in the earlier newsletters but with better presentation this time. As Steve said: 'Simple, yet effective... ' Smile .

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:48 pm

Thanks to both of you, AReyeP and Schabbs! I'm glad the new HTML worked out well for everyone. Definitely getting a compliment from you, Brian, is very flattering considering I've been a devout follower of both of your websites (Mr. Lowe's page and the Dome) ever since I was a newbie on the scene Smile And it's great to see Steve's still lurking around on here... Was wondering where you'd gone Wink

ZuljinRaynor wrote:
Now I can give Ian some exclusive SDD shots....

Hmm... I never really thought of the newsletter as being a regular news service like the Dome or anything, but I suppose if you'd want to share them anyway you can. Might help a little more with getting the word out about your game Smile

If anyone has any banners for their projects or websites, you can let me know so I could post them in the newsletter each month, if anyone wants. Just send them to me via e-mail attachment or give me a URL I can link to. I'm not set on how many I'll accept yet since this will require a bit of testing, but as long as noone's making 1024x768 24bit .BMP banners, everything should be cool Smile

-Ian

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:44 am

Darn. I was really looking forward to reading the next issue, but I can never seem to get the subscription to work properly. I'm trying again now. I liked your last one, #2, alot, though. Keep up the good work.

EDIT: YAY it just worked, finally! Ok, did I miss the deadline for getting number 3? Do I have to wait for syndication now?

Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:33 pm

Nice work, Ian...I'd say the newsletter is a continuing success...I hope that it keeps on coming and becomes an institution like the Dome and this forum are...I can definitely see that happening if you have the strength to keep churning out excellent issues like the first several...

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:49 am

@Ringman: I'll have #3 uploaded soon to the Wolf-Bytes site. I'll post here when I get it up. But I'll go ahead and forward it on to your e-mail address, no problem. I'm looking into being able to send the current month's issue the second someone signs up and confirms their subscription. Doesn't look like it'll be too difficult once I learn a little more PHP / CGI... But well, I got caught up playing RTCW the past two days Embarassed

@Majik Monkee: As long as people are interested in reading this newsletter, I plan on keeping it going. It really is a group effort and I think the contributions in forms of interviews, reviews and now Dugtrio's tutorials are what really make it good. I wouldn't mind seeing it stick around for a while and eventually growing to something that will become a mainstay to the community.

Again, I'm glad people are happy with it Smile I hope we can make #4 better...

-Ian

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:55 am

Oh yes, and I meant to add this before...

If anyone has any problems with signing up, just let me know. You can send me your e-mail address and I can manually add it to the database of subscribers. Seems some people occasionally have problems with the sign-up, so I'll update the FAQ on the site with this info as well.

Chances are if you tried signing up around Nov 11 - 19, you probably ran into some problems with the server that wouldn't send out any e-mails of any kind. These problems look to be sorted out now, but just in case anyone has trouble you can contact me and request to be added to the list.

-Ian

DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:39 am

December 20th and no Wolf-Bytes?!?! What the hell??

Yep, I'm late. Such is life. I've been pretty sick the last few days (still getting over it), and haven't worked on my end very much. The issue is 80% finished, with just my end to finish up. Sorry guys. But hey, it's only Wolf3D, eh? Smile

After this issue goes out, I'm planning on taking a break from the newsletter for a while to work on some other things. My Wolf projects are gathering dust on my HD, and I'd like to get Ringman the DHWTC story finished up and sent within a few weeks, so I'd like some time to devote to these other projects, plus many other real-life things things that need taking care of (like that stack of computers, ethernet cards and cables sitting piled up in the corner - Oh yeah, I was going to run a home network, like six months ago!). I don't know how long this break will be - Maybe a month. Just long enough to gain some headway on these things.

To anyone who wants to contribute to the newsletter: You can still send submissions or offer help if you want, I just don't know when they'll be used. If you've been contributing regularly to Wolf-Bytes, feel free to enjoy the break as well. Afterall, it is the holidays, and everyone needs a rest Smile

So, that's the news. I'd like to get #4 out the door hopefully by Tuesday. See you all then, with luck.

-Ian

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:32 am

Glad you're taking a break rather than plowing forth at the cost of getting sick of the thought of ever doing the newsletter again...I'd totally hate to see that happen...

Um...maybe I've been living in a box, but I didn't even realize you'd been working on other Wolf3D projects...is there info about them on your site? I've not done a lot of Wolf site surfing lately besides here and the Dome, so unless I read stuff here, I usually don't hear about it...

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:21 am

Yeah, this project is still alive, for those of you wondering what the hell's going on Smile

Wolf-Bytes is still alive, but going through a process of reinvention. I've been taking time off from it to focus on other things and work on new ideas for it. There are going to be some changes to how the content is delivered.

While I do like the newsletter format, I think it's impractical and has its draw-backs now in hindsight. With the newsletters getting larger each time and with me and others wanting to see more in it each time, I'm not sure I want to see 100K e-mails in my inbox every month and the long read kind of makes me leary - A lot of people just don't have time to read it all at once. I'd like to see it tightened up and organized better.

So, I've decided to take it to the web in the form of an online webzine type-thing (gotta love those technical terms...lol... I'm too tired to think straight right now). Basically, it'll be a website that hosts all the same Wolf-Bytes content - reviews, articles, interviews, news, etc - and whatever else can be crammed in there. I'm not sure if there'll be a newsletter of any kind to accompany it - I had thought about still doing a mini-newsletter of sorts, but I'm not sure of this atm. The other benefit of this is that there'll be no deadline neccessarily, thus there won't be any real rush or pressure that tends to burn people out as quick.

And now some quick questions answered:
Why is the Wolf-Bytes site down, lamer?
Because the server is going through some maintainence atm. When's it going to be back up? When they're done with the maintainence, I guess. I may consider moving Wolf-Bytes to another server though - We'll see.

This webzine thing is really great and all, but when's it coming out, you dillweed?!
"When it's done". I'm not into deadlines on Wolf projects anymore... They just burn me out and put unneeded stress on me. This is but one of my many interests / passions, and I do this for fun and for the love of the game. I already have enough stress and deadlines 12 hours a day, 300+ days out of the year, and if I wanted anymore I'd get another grunt job and get paid for it. So shut up - dillweed.

Neat but eeewwww why do we need another wolf site we already have the dome we dont need no more wolfsites progress is bad go away kthxbye
It seems people always toss this one in there eventually when someone announces doing a new Wolfenstein site... lol. First off, this site isn't going to be anything like The Dome - It's totally different. It's the same thing as Wolf-Bytes, just revamped a bit and (hopefully) a little prettier looking than the plain-text newsletter. I'm not going to cover every bit of news out there or offer an archive of add-ons to download (though I will host a few that are selected each month in reviews / articles / interviews). This is more of an opinion-type site. Secondly, it's nice to have multiple Wolf-sites, don't you think? That arguement is kind of like "Why do we need anymore add-ons when we've got Project Totengraeber??"... Because it's nice to have something else to do sometimes.

Do you like Blink 182?
No.

Do you like cheese?
Yes.

Will you go out with me?
Depends. Are you hot? Send me a picture and I'll think about it. Currently, I've got my eye on either MCS or ChiefRebelAngel... The decision is tearing me apart!!

Boxers or briefs?
Neither. Does that turn you on? I thought so.

And, I guess that's it then. Wolf-Bytes: Revamped Special Edition Beta Demo 2.0 coming soon to a browser near you...

-Ian

DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:26 am

Damn, you anticipated my question! But what kind of cheese do you like best, that's what I wanted to know... Razz

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:35 am

[totally irrelevant]I'm just sorry you didn't give us a little more insight into what drives your underwear preference...but I am glad to see that "women's underwear" wasn't a consideration.[/totally irrelevant]

I'm also glad to hear the newsletter isn't dead...for patient folks like me, release date is not an issue. In fact, having them spread out allows me to make sure to have read everything from the previous issue by the time the new one comes out...it's perfectly suited to my lazy nature...Laughing

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:51 am

Hey guys, a late update on some things here.

First off, Wolf-Bytes has moved. Thanks to the uber-coolness of one DieHard Wolfer by the name of Dugtrio17, Wolf-Bytes is now hosted on his webspace. The new URL is http://wolfbytes.dugtrio17.com/ Currently, there's nothing up except my trademark "Coming Soon" pages, but I hope to see a lot of activity in coming months. So don't forget to update your bookmarks Smile And I hope we'll be staying at this URL for longer than three months this time... lol

At the moment, I'm involved in designing a website for a friend of a friend, and I'm actually going to get paid for this one, so that's cool. But I'll be devoting a lot of time to this and I won't have much time for Wolf-Bytes or anything else Wolf3D related. I'll see what I can get done in in-between times, though Smile Make no mistake: I'm very excited about getting back to the 'zine and other Wolf related stuff.

I still have some articles and such written by myself, Hair Machine and others for later content. But, as in the past, if anyone wants to write anything up, the offer's there (and no, I'm not trying to force that on anyone or make anyone contribute - Just if the mood hits you in a hungover state or something - lol). Feel free to e-mail, PM or contact me on MSN about this.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:25 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

IanFranken wrote:
Will you go out with me?
Depends. Are you hot? Send me a picture and I'll think about it. Currently, I've got my eye on either MCS or ChiefRebelAngel... The decision is tearing me apart!!

Yeah, sorry about my upfront question, I was very vunerable and stressed at the time. If you don't want to, it's ok, but don't drag it along, otherwise it will tear ME apart! But yeah, ChiefRebelAngel is hot...

Anyway, good to see it is still being worked on.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: