DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

question regarding the savedgames of 0.9 and 1.01
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> AReyeP & MCS Games Support View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:47 am
   Subject: question regarding the savedgames of 0.9 and 1.01
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Are the saved games form 0.9 or 1.01 compatible with version 1.04? i still have level 21 saved at the secret elevator, and before I start taking out the duplicate copies of eodon my hd, i would like to know.

thanks
Blade Nightflame
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 1

slovenia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 8:24 am
   Subject: Re: question regarding the savedgames of 0.9 and 1.01
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I highly doubt that, seeing as a part of the fix doesn't actually. 'Load' the previous version save games, but that's what I know most. Ask Brothertank, he knows more than I do.

<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:00 am

hellknight0131 wrote:
Are the saved games form 0.9 or 1.01 compatible with version 1.04? i still have level 21 saved at the secret elevator, and before I start taking out the duplicate copies of eodon my hd, i would like to know.

thanks
Blade Nightflame wrote:
I highly doubt that, seeing as a part of the fix doesn't actually. 'Load' the previous version save games, but that's what I know most. Ask Brothertank, he knows more than I do.

I think it would be as easy as creating a new directory - unpacking the new release... and then copy over your saved games and give it a try. As far as asking me... Why not ask MCS?

Anyhow.... I'll give it a test and let you know the results..

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:06 am

Now that didn't take long...

The answer is NO ... It will not read previous saved game files. At least it didn't here.

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??
Commodore
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 15
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:18 pm

Yeah, I tried that and wound up with a blue screen of death.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:31 am

I was finally able to setup Windows 95 on an old machine of mine a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing EoD and I got to level 11 and discovered what is apparently a common bug in the game. I had downloaded the first released version back in December or whenever it was, November? lol Anyway I downloaded the new version over the weekend and transfered all my saved game files over to the new version directory. I loaded up the game and loaded level 11, and the game crashed. I got this window at the bottom right corner that said the program performed and illegal operation. I've also just gotten a black screen but the level music playing. This happens on all my saved files but starting a new game works fine. So I guess that means I have to start over?? I still have the older version if there's another way around this...
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 161
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:51 pm

Wolfman wrote:
I was finally able to setup Windows 95 on an old machine of mine a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing EoD and I got to level 11 and discovered what is apparently a common bug in the game. I had downloaded the first released version back in December or whenever it was, November? lol Anyway I downloaded the new version over the weekend and transfered all my saved game files over to the new version directory. I loaded up the game and loaded level 11, and the game crashed. I got this window at the bottom right corner that said the program performed and illegal operation. I've also just gotten a black screen but the level music playing. This happens on all my saved files but starting a new game works fine. So I guess that means I have to start over?? I still have the older version if there's another way around this...

If the EXE of the game is modified in *any* way after a game is saved, the saved games won't work right.

I don't know why this is, honestly. I just know that the content of the saved game is highly sensitive to the structure of the EXE.

If I knew more about the structure of saved games (I don't understand that part of the code well enough), I could design a utility that would change the saved game's data to work with the updated EXE. You'd just tell the utility what the name of the old saved game is, then give it the name of a game saved with the new EXE. The utility would then makes the changes necessary to have the old saved game work with the new EXE.

Anyway, I could send you the saved games that I have, but it'll be on Difficulty 4. Shocked PM me if you're interested.
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:34 pm

It all matters as to what variables were added and such. For example, if you just make it so that the ammo displays up to three digits, your savegames will still work. Now if you change the health from an integer to a byte...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:22 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I went ahead and just started over, that would make like the 3rd time I've done that. Anyway everything so far works great, I'm currently on level 16. Wow, this game is totally awesome!
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> AReyeP & MCS Games Support View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: