DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

What annoys the crap out of you? (Wolf Addons)
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

What annoys the crap out of you? (Wolf Addons)
People who make one crappy addon after another
22%
 22%  [ 41 ]
People who make 100 addons about movies
11%
 11%  [ 20 ]
People who make addons out of the Shareware version
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
People who can't spell
16%
 16%  [ 30 ]
People who make addons with the same VSWAP as another addon
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
People who make addons out of other addons
8%
 8%  [ 16 ]
People who announce and cancel addons
16%
 16%  [ 30 ]
DOOM Addons
5%
 5%  [ 10 ]
Voted : 49
Total Votes : 179

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:23 pm
   Subject: Re: What annoys the crap out of you? (Wolf Addons)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The things I hate are crappy add-ons that have characters from all diffrent games. I also hate add-ons with crappy, I mean really crappy maps that kind of rush you thru all the levels to the final boss or bosses. If you're gonna make an add-on, at least make half-decent levels instead of messing around with graphics so long!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:03 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I don't have any problem with England, it was a joke from the Simpsons when Bart brought home a report card that had a failing grade in english Homer said "English! Who needs that? I'm never going to England!" Thanks a lot for pointing that out though, I didn't realize that it would offend anyone. Embarassed I have changed my signature in order to prevent this. I don't want to offend anyone! I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Thanks, Ubermutant!
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:25 pm

Wow... first time I've ever heard anyone thank someone for being offended...

Topics: 17
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:10 pm

Hey Dugtrio.

Havent you realized that you named yourself after a Poke'mon'?

also in your signature, What is your most interesting topic?

I must be quite silly talking about everybodys signatures but i'm always quite curious. Laughing Laughing Embarassed Laughing Razz
Ubermutant
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:17 am

it sucks to have addons that have menu items in a different language

and stuff like that.

it really sucks

Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:24 pm

Wow, talk about a revived topic! This one has posts from over a year ago...
Anyway, I didn't even see your first post, Ubermutant, so I'll answer your questions and then I'll contribute to the topic so I'm not being an ass.
- Nope... no idea at all. Thanks for the notification, I'll take care of it immediately. Alt+130
- The gun bobbing topic, but it has since fallen out of favor Crying or Very sad
I believe you speak of TekZK's story, hmm? Wasn't there an English version, too?
I'll add something to the list of things I hate while I'm here. Well, this is really a biggie, but ADDONS TRYING TO BE LIKE EOD/SPEARRES/HOS/WSJ/MIKE. God bless it. It's getting tiring that people are asking for features to work "just like in EOD!" The features were in EOD, yes. There were some amazing features, yes. But if you really want your TC to have interesting features, code something never before coded! There's thousands of things out there that are easy to do and can enhance the feel of your TC! Take the Go4it pistol for example... 3 levels of charging, charged automatically, was coded in about 5 minutes. You just need an imagination!
Which this isn't to say that you need special features or that they should be just coded in for the hell of it. There are TCs out there with no coding changes that are better than some code-heavy ones. But if you can think of a feature that will enhance gameplay (and this doesn't mean trying to justify it after you make it or think of it... PLAN, dammit) then toss it in! Be creative! You don't have to snag features from other games to make yours cool. Smile

(That smiley face was all that prevented this from becoming a rant)

Topics: 57
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:56 pm

Ubermutant wrote:
You've been a naughty girl. GO TO MY ROOM!

Ha, I have that t-shirt too!

Dugtrio17 wrote:
Be creative! You don't have to snag features from other games to make yours cool.

I agree (not putting a smiley face here to commence rantage).

Dugtrio17 wrote:
The gun bobbing topic, but it has since fallen out of favor Crying or Very sad

The Gun Bobbing Tutorial is still being talked about alot. Maybe you just aren't looking in the right places. Razz

Wonder if the topics "TED5 on XP?" and "Have you ever created a map with hidden design in it?" are linked to a popular site somewhere (the first to a Commander Keen forum, maybe?). Those threads have some pretty darn high page views - lol.
Ubermutant
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:22 pm
   Subject: Re: My signature

yea i saw someone wearing that tee shirt a couple of days ago Laughing i thought it would be a good signature for myself

heh Razz

I kinda like reviving topics

especially when i was the last one to write in to it

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:47 pm

What annoys me most about many Add-ons and TCs is where the maps don't work right. You'll see a set of guards and/or dogs, move up against them and everything, and they'll have no idea you're there. Not Happy

There's a WOLFSOD.DOC file that tells all about how to avoid this sort of problem, and it's been around since the ... mid-1990s? And the source code has been out since the late 1990s? What excuse *is* there anymore? Get with the program, people.
Spiritblade-inc
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 30
canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:41 am

It's kinda funny because All those times that i've seen my Heavenhorse - Idea and original Concept, me! Finishing work for all frames, Majik Monkey. in add-ons, not once was i asked. Razz and if someone ever gets teh b@llz to help me with SOD TC, i wouldn't be surprised if someone stole the graphics out of it like 1 week after it came out.

Most of that stuff annoys me, especially pumping out shit add-ons in rapid fire, not give people enough time to recover from the last shitty Add-on to be ready for the next one. Damn Sandy's getting hammered these days Razz.

Best regards
Erick.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 81
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:22 am

What really gets me the most is people who grab their shovel and dig up old, mouldy, rotten topics like this that have been inactive for two years, just so they can get their two cents worth in... Laughing

Sorry...I missed this post somehow when it first came out, but can't help but contribute... Embarassed

I've always known and accepted (in different degrees as I've modded more and more) that once you put a mod out there, folks are going to start picking it apart for goodies, whether you like it or not (I think there are very few who generally like it, most just accept it). Unless the graphics are 100% your own, or you spent a LOT of time converting something nobody else has tried or could have easily done, there's really no room to gripe, because essentially, someone is just doing to you what you did to someone else beforehand (even if it was a legit game company). I do think that conversion of sprites and stuff, though, no matter how minimal, deserves some credit, and the designer should be given props if they appear in a mod.

That having been said, my main beef with Sandy taking my sprites initially was just that he wasn't giving credit for them. He did ask permission after I made a comment, but he still wasn't crediting me anywhere, which if he'd done, he wouldn't have really even needed the permission in this case. The thing that really chapped my @$$ though was when he took enemy graphics from the animated GIFs I'd put on the "HOS: Dead Reckoning" site and used them in one of the "Dark Catacomb" follow ups. Brian offered to pull the mod, but I took some advice ack had given me and trusted that if my mod was better, it didn't matter if Sandy had used the grapics before me (he only had frontal views, whereas I'd used all of them in HOS:SE). For the first Dark Catacomb, Sandy didn't even bother to ask or try to extract the graphics...he used ones he'd cut out of screenshots, which looked like @$$ in a lot of cases...it was good for a laugh or two...Laughing

Anyway, so now you know what annoys me...for the most part anyway. Another thing I really don't dig is when folks take secret bosses or enemies from games (any of WSJ's come to mind) and put them in their crappy mod, then slap them right on their title screen for the whole world to see. Someone tried doing something similar with their so-called "submissions" to the Image World where they'd barely changed anything and tried to submit end of game bosses from some mods and I had to reject them...give me a break...

Okay...I think that's it...guess I'll grab the shovel again and toss some dirt back on this topic before it starts to stink the place up...Laughing

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:06 pm

Majik Monkee wrote:
For the first Dark Catacomb, Sandy didn't even bother to ask or try to extract the graphics...he used ones he'd cut out of screenshots, which looked like @$$ in a lot of cases...it was good for a laugh or two...Laughing

I remember the rat...it looked like a bumbling, gliding hamster and when you killed it, it just froze and bled! Laughing

Andy
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 56
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:55 am

It sucks, Sandy never stole my art, I feel inferior. Sad

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:29 am

Hmmm...um...don't...it's not that much of an ego boost...if it's supposed to be, then I missed out...multiple times...Laughing

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 56
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:11 am

I guess I just see it as: You know you're work isn't any good until it's stolen.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 13
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:56 pm

spelling badly is bad but sometimes you want to type fast...anyways, people who make one crappy stuff after another, people who make wolf3d with bugs, people who make doom wolf3d just...annoys the crap out of me!!!!

DieHard Mutant

Topics: 87
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:18 pm

I did not see a selection for (cheap graphics in addons). I do not want to offend anyone who worked hard on their graphics and others say they're cheap. But stuff like that gives me a headache. I would really like to see SUPER graphics in games. Mind-blowing graphics hi-res, the whole sha-bang.

New Site: http://www.treesapthief.com
Twitter: @treesapthief
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:06 am
   Subject: What annoys the crap out of you? (Wolf Addons)

Who has awakened me from my deep, dark sleep with topic notification email on the most ancient of threads? Just kidding...neat look to the site, though...tho my avatar is a goat unless I sign in... Confused

<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 42

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:40 pm

That would attributed to allthisandwolf3d. He had been resurrecting dead threads all over the place. Rolling Eyes
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:33 pm

Well, since this thread has decided to rise from its grave again, and unlike allthisandnecrothreadseverywhere, I have something actually interesting to say, so I guess I'll chip in while I can.

I really don't hold anything against people who borrow images from other TCs or spell things wrong (as long as the person responsible is not a native English speaker. If you have atrocious spelling in your HELPART because you're just lazy or think that 4chan posts are the pinnacle of writing (LULZ I HAS A BAD 4CHAN JOKE BUT I EATED IT), burn in hell!). I have the level-designing skill and vision to make up for my lack of pixel-art talent, I match and splice graphics carefully to make sure they mesh together, and I give proper credit for everything. I don't even mind people who use add-on SDKs as long as they don't just rehash the original add-on.

No, what really annoys me is people who copy entire VSWAPs or blatantly ride the coattails of other people's add-on concepts because they can't be arsed to come up with an original story or create their own atmosphere. Sandy is the most prominent offender, with his stream of half-assed "homages" that do nothing but mimic other add-ons, are made for the shareware version against the wishes of Id Software (does this guy [could be a guy, considering that Sandy Petersen of Id Software is quite male] own the registered game at all?), have consistently displayed poor-quality level design without noticeable improvement, and just reek of laziness.

You can borrow graphics, you can use map definitions from some add-on or another, and your first one can be a total bomb as long as you get better, but for the love of God, find your own style and express a little individuality. Why should I play Resurrection of Heimzahlung when I can play the original?

Mapping Master

Topics: 164

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:19 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:11 pm

Thomas wrote:
Using the shareware edition to make mods.... Nothing wrong with that. "Wolfenstein Odyssey" by AReyeP is among my favorites, still. But the thing about using mostly Wolfbel 2 and then some wacky graphics... I hate that. I absolutely hate that. Announcing and cancelling is bad, but vaporware is worse. I'd love to see something in "Spear Doomsday", "Super Blitzkrieg", "Castle Wolfenstein Assault", all those mods, you know. It's doesn't exactly annoy the crap out of me, but I think they deserve and update.

The problem is that Id has explicitly asked mod authors not to use the shareware version, because the shareware version is intended as a trial of the full game, with the hopes of the player actually playing the full game. Modding the shareware version violates the license and is thus illegal.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:48 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:57 am

Yes it is. Only registered version mods, SOD full (not demo) mods, and TCs are allowed.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:07 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:28 pm

Beyond Wolfenstein was a stand-alone source code-based TC that was foxed by Id because Nate passed off some of Id's work as his own. It is, to my knowledge, the only Wolfenstein TC that has ever been shut down by Id Software.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:00 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:44 am

Read the "Take Notice" in the DieHard Bunker Pages.

Nayt's games were removed because he took full credit for the game and was using almost everything of ID Software. It didn't get much attention at first because the download numbers were relatively low.... But, then it took off and everyone was downloading it. Why?? Because it was basically the Full Version of Wolfenstein with only some small changes to the weapons really. So basically, he was pirating the full version of the game in Id's eyes. Thus, he was forced (with legal action if he didn't) to remove his game from download (which at the time had over 400K downloads)... Now... Imagine all the money that ID lost there.... 400,000 * 20$ American... It wasn't something minor that they could overlook.

Thus, Steve (AReyeP) e-mailed Id's CEO and asked questions... See the answers in the "Take Notice" link. Now, as for the Shareware... Yes, Id didn't want people to be able to edit and modify it and create their own games... The problem is that they could not legally stop it. But, the authors of MapEdit were gracious and removed the ability to edit the shareware versions with their version 8.4 of MapEdit. But, they did not stop or remove the 7.2 version of the same - and it could edit shareware versions.... ID Software never stepped in to force the previous version removals....

From that we can assume, that while Id Software doesn't want people to edit the shareware versions of the game, they have not stopped anyone from actually doing it. And in that assumption, the main factor would be the age of the game.... and people not generally taking credit for Id's work, graphics, sounds, and music. But, they are VERY protective of the Full Registered Version (even with it's age) because they in fact do still make money from it.

As for support.... Id Software does not need to support the product because of it's age. With the release of the software source, they have basically said, "It's your to play with" as long as you credit where credit is due.. but do not release a game that is basically the original Full Registered Game as we still sell that program to those that truely come looking for it. It's like Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME... because of the age of the software and the newer releases they have made to those programs, they reach a point where they do no longer have to support and update the software. Just as with Microsoft, Id Software want's you to move to the new games like, RTCW, Quake, etc... But even those have an expiry date when they too will no longer support and update them. The minimum time or length of time that a company must update and support software is now legislated into law... Now, if they are nice, they will continue... MicroSoft has stopped doing Updates to those outdated software releases, but they still allow access to the software and updates made to those programs prior to that "legislated support date". In Id's case, they have Brian's (Schabbs Homepage) and the forums Here... where people can still get support for that older piece of software...

Hope that helps everyone and makes sense....

Greg
BrotherTank
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:07 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thomas wrote:
Which one was it? He made three versions of it, I recall. And I thought that there was some other of the earliest TC's id had their hands on too. But I don't remember which... Andy help me out here... Laughing

Wolfer Spotlight Nate Smith has all I could tell you about Nate's addons.

Andy
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: