DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

[Code] Bug Fix for Original VGAClearScreen - Ripper
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Tutorials View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

Topics: 21
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:04 pm
   Subject: [Code] Bug Fix for Original VGAClearScreen - Ripper
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Just found a bug inside the original VGAClearScreen function in WL_DRAW.C, which can cause the whole display to be filled with the background color. These symptoms can especially come up, when you try to combine DarkOne's "Floor/Ceiling Texture" and our "Outside Atmosphere" tutorial.
(The following image from level 8 episode 1 has been modified a little bit to show how it's looking like, because the bug only modifies the screen of the second display page, while Windows only makes screenshots of the first one)

The bug is caused by a missing "xor ch,ch" which results in an unpredictable "rep stosw" as the value of "ch" is simply >unknown<!
Only manually setting it to zero using the command above or any other equivalent one, makes sure, that "rep stosw" really does what it's meant to do!

As it seems, in the original unmodified version, "ch" is really zero at this point, but if things become changed, one mustn't be that lucky...

::: CODE :::
void VGAClearScreen (void)
{
 unsigned ceiling=vgaCeiling[gamestate.episode*10+mapon];

//
  // clear the screen
  //
asm   mov   dx,SC_INDEX
asm   mov   ax,SC_MAPMASK+15*256   // write through all planes
asm   out   dx,ax

asm   mov   dx,80
asm   mov   ax,[viewwidth]
asm   shr   ax,2
asm   sub   dx,ax               // dx = 80-viewwidth/4

asm   mov   bx,[viewwidth]
asm   shr   bx,3               // bl = viewwidth/8
asm   mov   bh,BYTE PTR [viewheight]
asm   shr   bh,1               // bh = viewheight/2

asm   mov   es,[screenseg]
asm   mov   di,[bufferofs]
asm   mov   ax,[ceiling]

asm   xor   ch,ch          // <----- line to be added

toploop:
asm   mov   cl,bl
asm   rep   stosw
asm   add   di,dx
asm   dec   bh
asm   jnz   toploop

asm   mov   bh,BYTE PTR [viewheight]
asm   shr   bh,1               // bh = viewheight/2
asm   mov   ax,0x1919

bottomloop:
asm   mov   cl,bl
asm   rep   stosw
asm   add   di,dx
asm   dec   bh
asm   jnz   bottomloop
}

As I used the VGAClearScreen also in our Outside Atmosphere tutorial, the bug is also inside it and will be removed immediately!

Greets
Ripper

EDIT: Image link updated and some comments corrected

Last edited by Ripper on Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:52 pm
   Subject: Re: [Info] Bug in original VGAClearScreen
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Haha... of course there's still bugs in Wolfenstein. Why do you think that "Out out Memory" error pops up at all? And what about the bosses that don't react from certain angles, the mutant that runs through the secret passage in E2L4, how the "demo number" text doesn't display in debugmode, how the status bar doesn't show 7 digits, how there's the "flashing red border" syndrome, how they didn't stop those floating hitler guys from shooting bullets when the actorlist goes above 149, how the F8 key sometimes makes your screen smaller, geez... I could go on forever.

It's alot of fun trying to find ways to get rid of bugs, or figuring out what causes them. You know, in my years of playing wolfenstein 3d, I don't remember ever noticing this particular bug you mentioned when playing wolf3d normally; unless it was subtle and hardly viewable... so I could see why adding this "xor ch,ch" line wasn't a huge deal for ID Software back in the days of creating Wolfenstein 3d. What's with this talk about "second display page" anyways? lol. Sometimes I think our conversations get a little lost in either the German / English translation or the Coding / Normal Person translation. Laughing
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:16 am

Chris wrote:
Haha... of course there's still bugs in Wolfenstein. Why do you think that "Out out Memory" error pops up at all?

I never said, "WOW I found the one and only bug in Wolfenstein 3D!!" Mr Green
I just said, that I found a bug which can cause serious graphical problems when using DarkOne's Floor/Ceiling texture tutorial and our Outside atmosphere one.
But the list of the bugs sounded quite interesting as I never played the whole game yet *gg*

Chris wrote:
so I could see why adding this "xor ch,ch" line wasn't a huge deal for ID Software back in the days of creating Wolfenstein 3d

I don't think that they dealt with it at all, cause they didn't know it Wink

About that "second display page": Wolf uses double or triple buffering to avoid the game to flicker. It paints on one display page while it displays the other. But as the second display page is behind the first one in memory and that missing "xor ch,ch" can make the cpu fill 0xff08 instead of only 0x0008 bytes with the background color, the second display page, which becomes displayed every second or third frame, gets completely overwritten, so the result is the picture shown above Wink

You should not always take every word exactly when visiting international forums, as here are MANY misinterpretations, I guess Mr Green
But speaking of technical stuff doesn't make it easier, too Wink
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:59 am

Interesting find, Ripper. I'm assuming you found this because you saw a flicker in the screen after you set up the atmosphere and floor textures. I haven't noticed one yet... I guess I have bad eyes. Shocked Laughing
Was this a constant flicker or one that would only happen every so often?

I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 8
poland.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:45 am

Hmm.. I encountered some flickering on screen in Kreml 3D... I'm not sure is it about that, because the Outdoor Atmosphere isn't implemented there yet, but I'm sure we are going to check this one out. It can all be about my crappy Win ME too.. Cool

That's coolness Ripper... It's great that you found out that bug.. I'm sure some people will find this useful.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:56 am

ya know, i gotta hand it too you, rip, for finding that, but what you dont know you dont miss.... and ive never seen that bug before..... hows that for some optimism... Twisted Evil
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:37 am

Adam Biser wrote:
I'm assuming you found this because you saw a flicker in the screen after you set up the atmosphere and floor textures. [...]
Was this a constant flicker or one that would only happen every so often?

Flicker wouldn't exactly describe it... I guess, part of the bug explanation wasn't too correct, as the first page gets involved, too... the complete border becomes gray including the statusbar in all display pages...
Don't really know how this happens, but adding that "xor ch,ch" let's it go away.
But then again it IS a constant flicker (as I said every second and/or third frame).

But when I think about "encountered some flickering on screen" I remember that there sometimes IS flickering for one frame or so... Then you see most of the screen turn gray for just a moment...
Perhaps it also comes from there...
So it would also improve engines without this extreme symptoms Mr Green
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
italy.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:49 pm

How can I fix this bug with the shading routines? I've got something like this:

inc bh
      mov bl,bh

push dx
   }
toploop:
   asm{
      mov cl,dl
      rep stosw
      add di,word ptr pitch
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:30 pm

ARGH! I forgot to remove that bug from the shading tutorial! Thanks for making me notice! Mr Green
Here's how that part should look like:

inc bh
      mov bl,bh

push dx
      xor ch,ch
   }
toploop:
   asm{
      mov cl,dl
      rep stosw
      add di,word ptr pitch
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:03 pm
   Subject: Re: [Code] Bug Fix for Original VGAClearScreen - Ripper

Maybe you'll find this interesting Ripper. I applied your "xor ch,ch" a long time ago, but even after using it, I've always still been able to see a bug which carries these same symptoms (possibly the one that Martin is describing). It flickers with the gray background color on the bottom of the playscreen when you're close to walls, especially when I'm running at a fast FPS rate (if I turn slow motion on, it usually disappers). I think the faster my computer can run, the more visible it gets, so maybe it relies on tics; but I'm not sure exactly. It does it for me especially with the no-scalers on, but is also noticable in the original exe, especially as I'm trying to pick up items fastly when close to walls during the flash. Also happens alot just normally when I'm close to walls (since you don't automatically see the floor as gray there). I'm guessing that it's never on the first plane, because I can't seem to take a picture of it with your Tab-Z, but here's the general idea.

Something tells me that it has to do with how this is calculated (possibly one floor side going into the negatives?):

toploop:
asm   mov   cl,bl
asm   rep   stosw
asm   add   di,dx
asm   dec   bh
asm   jnz   toploop

It's a constant flicker of gray, and it only happends on the playscreen (not on the status bar or anything). Sometimes it starts off higher than where I drew it, sometimes lower, always filling to the bottom of the screen with that diagonal line on the left. Anyone else notice this weird flickering sometimes? Any ideas?

edit: Funny, I had your patch on for so long. I just tried turning it off now, and the ENTIRE SCREEN got overtaken by gray (weird!). Laughing
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:58 am

Hm, this is very strange... Does this really also happen with an original source plus this bug fix?
Could you send me an EXE + source code of a version with the bug and a detailed description on how to reproduce the bug?
I just double checked the fixed VGAClearScreen function and didn't find anything fishy. Perhaps you also changed something related to the sound interrupts?
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:29 pm

Ripper wrote:
Could you send me an EXE + source code of a version with the bug and a detailed description on how to reproduce the bug?

Basically, ANY wolf3d exe will encounter this bug on this computer (even with your patch). If I could give you a detailed description of how to reproduce it (beyond it's behaviour), then half the battle would be over. Here's what it breaks down to though...

Any wolf3d exe without your no-scalers:

- The gray line will flash on large objects when close (like vines) on a consistant basis. A good example of this is in the first room of Spear: level 1 with the original exe. I also found it pretty easy to see this bug in Operation: Body Count because of it's large amount mossy/vine-line objects (especially on XL view mode when shooting and running under them).
- The gray line will sometimes appear across the bottom of a wall if you pick up a treasure or something when moving quickly. It's subtle, and unexpected, but can be pretty annoying.

Any wolf3d exe with your no-scalers:

- The gray line has all the symptoms above, but will also appear on a consistant basis when you are close to walls. This is by far the most annoying of them all, since you are close to walls alot of the time... and seeing the gray line being painted on walls that are a completely different colour is very noticable.

As you said, it might have to do with my sound settings in Windows; or that could be atleast playing a part of the role. I'd love to hear how you made this connection, because it does seem to hold some truth. If I run wolf3d in DosBox, it works fine, and if I disable the Sound Effects/Music (which don't work on Windows XP anyway); this elimates around 90% of the cases of this bug, but it still pops up from time to time while moving.

Interestingly enough, if you use Textured Floors/Ceilings, this problem usually goes away on my computer (like in HOS or EOD) but is still apparent in some of these types of addons (like Double Trouble). Maybe this is because Darkone's DrawFlats fixed something that VGAClearScreen missed; possibly how it checks to see if your view is obscured by walls (though I tried plugging that addition into the original VGAClearScreen and it didn't seem to change anything). This may also just be because it takes longer to process each frame with the Ceiling/Floor textures though. The reason why I say this is because if I use Slow Motion, or even if I only increase the VBL settings (Tab-V) from 0 to 1; the gray line problem seems to go away entirely. Interesting, isn't it?

Anyway, since I seem to be the only one who sees this bug, and since I never noticed it stand out this much until I tried playing wolf games on this computer; it'd probably be easier on everyone if I try to fix it myself... and is why I never really replied. Just out of curiosity, though, what variable and code controls the length of the floor? If I knew this, maybe I could try and restrict the floor from being drawn if the number is invalid or if you're close to walls. I'll keep playing around, but any debugging tips or explanations on how the drawing of the floor actually works could help and/or atleast be interesting to read about; since my knowledge is limited.

Last edited by Chris on Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:38 pm

Chris...

Give the NewWolf Classic code a check and see if Darkone's routines for drawing the floor and ceiling (he seperated them so that it's two specific routines to clear the screen) will help fix the problem...

I've looked for your bug, but haven't seen it... Then again, I'm not using XP and don't need DosBox... But hopefully that will help you out...

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Greg. I tried out the version you posted in the "Map Control" thread, and the bug still seems happen with Darkone's version, though I like alot of things about his code (how it automatically does the "xor ch,ch" thing, how I don't need to use something like "ceiling += ceiling*256" to use one byte colors, and how it seems easier to understand overall), so I'll probably use his version instead. As I thought earlier, and as you probably know already, the floor/ceiling is drawn before the walls, and each color fills up half the screen. If I draw these two functions in the opposite way, I can actually still see the walls flash on the bottom left corner sometimes (below/beside the gray line in the display picture), so maybe both the walls and the floors contain this bug to some degree.

Upon further inspection, I believe that it has something to do with the screen buffering. With the way everything is set up, if I use two or less pages (instead of 3), I can see the line all the time and not just on the bottom of the screen, and if I make the game use 4 pages, the line is alot thinner and less apparent. Atleast, that's how it works for me... not sure why. If you want to see what the line looks like, just try doing something like this in ThreeDRefresh of WL_DRAW.C:

if (bufferofs > PAGE1START)
   bufferofs = PAGE1START;

I think this should show the line on every computer, but I'm not 100% sure. Of course, with 3 pages, the gray line only shows up here when the "buffer fragment" touches the bottom of the screen, and only during the circumstances described in my previous post. The reason why this bug never showed up before might have something to do with how my computer processes sound, or the speed at which it calculates different things (contrary to what the exe believes), but I'm not sure.

Though, I wonder why the pages work this way, with those weird gray lines on each page. Maybe it only uses a few portions from each page, but then that kinda makes you ask yourself why it can't just draw it all into the same page, then throw that page on the screen. Maybe it's the same principle as why the vgagraph pics are separated into clusters or something, how it makes things go faster. Interesting stuff though. I wonder if Ripper's port to DOS4GW will work with the same buffering idea. I'm going to keep playing around though and see if I discover anything new, but any more ideas or insight would be interesting to read about as well.
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:37 pm

WOW, this sound like you really have an astronomically fast computer Mr Green
I guess the problem is, that Wolf draws three frames faster than your monitor can display one (or something like that)!
The bug should completely vanish by adding the following line in ThreeDRefresh in WL_DRAW.C which let's Wolf wait until the monitor has finished painting the screen:

bufferofs += SCREENSIZE;
   if (bufferofs > PAGE3START)
      bufferofs = PAGE1START;

VL_WaitVBL(1);

frameon++;
   PM_NextFrame();
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Haha. Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that the chip is a Centrino (with a widescreen monitor). Embarassed

Thanks Ripper. You're right, that code you posted works (as with the Tab-V thing). I noticed that the game's maximum possible framerate goes down from 70fps to about 58fps (according to Darkone's counter), which I didn't think mattered all that much, but I was actually thrown off a few times by a sudden jerkyness or slightly disorienting delay while trying to run down rooms at lightning speed. I still don't know... is this a side effect of adding the code, or was that just my imagination?

Either way, thanks for the idea man. Maybe I can bring it back up to 70 by only using required parts of the VL_WaitVBL code for specific situations.
Ripper
Code Master - Developer
Code Master - Developer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:17 am

Well I guess your monitor runs on 60 Hz (=maximum of 60 displayable fps). The VL_WaitVBL function waits for the monitor to be finished with displaying one frame (then the "electron beam" is at the bottom of the screen). So this efficiently drops the framerate a bit beneath the monitors framerate, therefore getting rid of the glitches.
I guess that jerkyness would have happened the same without that line. Btw, in Wolf4GW I achieved the same result by just setting the waitvbl to 1 in the declaration line.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:13 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Right on, thanks for clearing that up Ripper. Smile
Like you said, the only option I have for my screen refresh rate on this computer is 60hz. Interesting.

I thought maybe this could be why the bug appears at all, but I guess it's unrelated; since my other laptop uses 60hz as well.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Code Tutorials View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: