DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Patrolling
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Advanced Mappers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 9:53 pm
   Subject: Patrolling
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Ok, nothing has been done here for months, and I for one do not want such an interesting looking project to die. I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but here-goes:

One thing I really enjoy is the way Mappers use the patrolling to their advantage. Guards that walk around in circles infinitely get's kindof repetitive after awhile, and after a while you learn to time your movements to go past them unnoticed. The best maps for me are maps where guards PATROL OVER THE WHOLE MAP. I can remember playing a few maps where the guards explored everywhere, and you never knew where they might be.

Anyways, if anyone understands what I'm actually refering to, post here, and lets discuss.

-Deathshead
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:09 am
   Subject: Re: Patrolling
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Gee, I should check these areas of the forum more often given I'm a mapper myself Smile

All I can say is YES!!! Using the patrolling feature is one of the best ways of making a level interesting. If you have a level which has a large "loop" in it (corridors that inter-connect and have a route that leads through from one point, back around to this point again) then having guards patrolling this route makes for variety. If you fire a shot at a certain time, say just as a patrolling guard is opening a door somewhere, then the consequences can be unpredictable, making for a firefight that is totally different than if you just have a room full of static guards.

It soon becomes obvious when playing a mod if a designer uses the patrolling feature or not. I they don't, you soon get used to just clearing out one room after another, and complacency can set in (unless they use the same floor coding in another room somewhere else thereby activating enemies in a remote or adjacent area). Patrolling shouldn't just be restricted to a guard walking to or fro in one room (although this can be used to an extent to create a situation where a player will encounter an enemy in a different position in a room depending on timing), but it should be used to create an uncertainty in the player as to whether an area will stay empty of enemies or not. It's a feature that can affect gameplay so dramatically, that I consider it a "must have" in many levels (of course there are situations where you don't need it depending on what you have in mind with a particular level design).

Depending on the level design, I love to have strings of enemies marching along a long path, often following the player from behind if possible ... this way the slow stealthy player soon gets a little surprise Smile

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:26 pm

Woah Shocked someone replied!

Yes, thats exactly what I was getting at! At first, I thought thats what you were doing with EoD, but people at these forums said different, with their questions in code crackers. I thought about this mainly because in my early maps (which I kept), I had guards walking around single rooms. Looking at them lately, I felt this was stupid:

"Ok, I've checked all four corners of the Room, maybe I should go see how Morton is doing in the next room...nah! I'll just check the corners again! And Again! And Again! And a few more times until I am killed!"

Sorry D17 for stealing your characters Smile

Anyway, you see? It's just plain boring, and shows how stupid the ai is. Maybe code it so that guards just walk randomly, or targets the nearest unobstructed door. But thats not wat this threads about of course... Mr Green
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:55 am

Last edited by Thomas on Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:55 am

Possum Trot wrote:
Yes, guards over the whole map is cool. Though, it will need the same floor code or something.

Nah, if you have seperate floor codes, then the result is always random. You never know who you'll alert. It adds a note of caution.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:54 am

Last edited by Thomas on Wed May 25, 2011 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:01 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Deathshead wrote:
One thing I really enjoy is the way Mappers use the patrolling to their advantage. Guards that walk around in circles infinitely get's kindof repetitive after awhile, and after a while you learn to time your movements to go past them unnoticed. The best maps for me are maps where guards PATROL OVER THE WHOLE MAP. I can remember playing a few maps where the guards explored everywhere, and you never knew where they might be.

I admit this approach is a good concept, but I think it should be done while keeping a few things in mind:

1. Such an idea should be used sparingly, lest it lead to monotony in the layout of the maps, and too many limitations in map structure.
2. Maybe I'm overlooking something here, but I see no point in patrolling of smaller, dead-end rooms.
3. Avoid using numerous SSs in such map approaches, because they take a lot of ammo to bring down in large numbers.
4. Watch out for structures where the patrolling guards will open doors the player is supposed to find the keys for first.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Advanced Mappers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: