DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Doctor Wolfenstein!
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
AReyeP
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:54 am
   Subject: Doctor Wolfenstein!
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I know we're all used to seeing Wolf as little more than a form of light entertainment, and some people may consider us gamers as just big kids, but it's good to know Wolf's being used in some very positive ways!

A few months back I received an email from a lady in South Africa. She isn't what you'd call a keen gamer, but through surfing the web she had somehow come to MCS' & my site by chance and discovered "Wolfendoom". She wasn't too keen on the other mods, as they featured the killing of Germans (she has a number of close German friends), but Wolfendoom was providing her with quite a challenge (remember she hadn't really played this type of game before), and was taking her mind off other things.

You see, this lady (her name is Liza) has cancer. She's playing Wolfendoom, treating all the monsters as cancerous cells, and the bosses as "cancer bosses". We've become online friends over this time. Other than discussing Wolf mods and her computer woes, we discuss heaps of other things. Overall she's quite a courageous lady and I can't help but admire her positive attitude. I don't think she'd mind me quoting from her latest email to me:

"About the cancer councelling ... don't worry ... Wolfendoom therapy is already in the planning stages on my PC. When people hear they have cancer Steve, it feels like a death sentence handed down to them, and they go though different emotional stages of acceptance ... like denial, anger, depression, despondency, etcetera. For each of these phases I have a therapy worked out that I go through with the patient. First stage, is talking to someone (me) who has already gone though the process. Second stage is writing down your feelings of loss and anger you will not admit to any other person - it includes a seething anger (even hatred) you feel towards a God who did not protect you, as you did not deserve this blow. Something like a child getting a hiding for not knowing what it did wrong.
I am going to work Wolfendoom into this category, and also the final acceptance stage, where you have to get on top of your emotions of anger and defeat ... and the enemy ... the cancerous growths. But first I must conquer all your invincible brutes myself, Steve - the Cancer Bosses as I call them. I have at last found a strategy that flattens them (and what a joy when they crumble SmileSmileSmile, as I still have not read any hints or tips or cheats or whatever, as I feel in my real life fight, those luxuries are not available to me ... so what's the point ...
By the way ... I love it when those brutes finally crumble into nothingness and I read those words : Let's watch this again ... hehehe ..."

Of course I've told her that Wolfendoom was just a rip off of the original Doom (and that all we've done is modify the original Wolf game by id), and told her she should try the REAL Doom! As such she's tried a shareware copy of Doom and was amazed at the way the game looked. But she still has a fondness for the Wolf based games.

Majik/Ack - you'll be pleased to know that Halls of Stonehenge is on her list (as it doesn't feature killing of Germans), plus I've suggested some other mods that are non world war 2 based.

I've met some decent people through Wolf 3D - MCS, Greg, plus countless others, and now Liza. And y'know? This, more than anything else, is what makes being a part of the Wolf scene worthwhile Smile

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 11

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:11 am
   Subject: Re: Doctor Wolfenstein!
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Wow, that's awesome! Therapy through gaming...I should really try that if I ever become terminally ill later in life. It's also cool knowing that something you made is helping someone out, somehow.

As for the killing Germans, I'm part German and there are a few people I know from here that are from Germany, so I've always seen the guards just as electronic impulses on the screen. But I can see why she'd feel that way - after all, killing imps and demons is more fun!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:47 pm

That is pretty impressive.

Thunderstorm Joshua Waight Thunderstorm
Raistlin
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:12 pm

Hmmmm.

This seems very interesting.....Naturally, one never really
thinks of gaming as therapeutic, although, admittadly,
one has heard stranger things.

Stories like this are actually very inspiring, showing people
who find hope in the most unlikely places.
It makes one realise that ones own troubles really are'nt that major,
that if these people, people with terminal health issues can laugh and
enjoy themselves, then what are we all worrying about?

I dont know....just very sobering.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:51 am

Lovely
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:14 pm

That's a very inspiring testimonial...it shows a lot of strength of character, and also a lot of creativity to be able to use something as simple as a Wolfenstein mod to battle a much more real and frightening enemy. I have the utmost admiration for this individual, and applaud her courage and ingenuity in helping ease the struggle she's going through. I hope I could be half as creative and determined as she seems to be just from what you've said and what she was quoted as saying.

I'm also flattered HOS is on her list...when it was put together, I don't think anyone on the creative team ever imagined it might be theraputic, but it just goes to show you never know what's going to come of your actions, whatever they may be. If she does get around to playing it, I just hope she enjoys it as much as she (and I, for that matter) enjoyed Wolfendoom, and that it provides a an enjoyable distraction from the less pleasant aspects of real life.

Above all, I wish her the best with her ongoing fight against her illness, and to you too, Steve, for being there as a source of support and friend for her during what might otherwise be an even tougher time than it already is... Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:13 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

That's really lovely, good for your friend! It's fun and smart the way she see the game, really awesome.. Wink

~vкzZ~
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: