DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

HOT TOPIC
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:11 pm
   Subject: HOT TOPIC
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Last edited by Thomas on Fri May 27, 2011 2:03 am; edited 2 times in total
Loki
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3
france.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:29 pm
   Subject: Re: Your First Wolfenstein 3D EDITING Experience.
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

One day, I was curious to know how all these people made add-ons. I said to myself that it must be really complicated.

On the Dome, I had seen a list of programs. I downloaded some of them. Floedit 1 did not work then I tried MapEdit.
After a long and intense moment of reflexion, I chose a wall at random and I put it in the empty corridor which comes just after the first rooms of the level 1. I launched the game... and I saw it ! Shocked Hooray !!!!!!! Too Cool I turned around during ten minutes. Razz After, with Wolfedit, I wrote on the wall : You are a genius ! Cheesy Grin

Some weeks after, Floedit 2 was released. It became my favourite editor and I started to design maps seriously.

DieHard Mutant

Topics: 86
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:37 pm

Oh man, I was originally looking for Spear of Destiny and I came across Brian Lowe's web page and downloaded a few games that looked interesting. I realized then you could change Wolf3D. So I went into the utilities and got Mapedit 7.2. Then I contacted the kid who made Area 51. He told me about Areyep and MCS and I got Wolfedit (i think) off of their site. I got Borland from Lowe's site and pretty much everything else. Then Areyep told me about this forum. I registered as insurrectionman, which was the only thing I could think of at the time. I tried to code in a new weapon but never could get it to work. And then I became better at modding. And that all happened last year.

New Site: http://www.treesapthief.com
Twitter: @treesapthief
monkapotomus
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 15

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:12 pm

My first experiance was back in like 2002 *i think thats it* i was in 6th grade and i has this dell laptop that was pretty owrthless to em so i put dos 5.0 on it and had the shareware of wolfenstein on a CD that i had form like 93 which also had crap loads of wolfenstein utilities as well...i messed around with the game some with some program i cant quite recall what it was but i made a few mods to the first level, I didnt really do much more than that because i was dead for ideas and i was rather lazy....it was summer all i wanted to do was play mini golf and rollercoaster tycoon

www.dudleyrd.co.uk/~monk

How many times will you steal my car stero??It dont even work you feel like a bitch dont ya?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:32 pm

My very first level for Wolfenstein was designed for the shareware version. I was quite bored with the original boss level, and to be honest, it bored me the first time. So that level was the first thing to go.

Unlike most maps later that year that I drew on paper beforehand, it pretty much worked correctly straight from paper to map form. At first, it was just a boss sequence alone, where you had to run past him in order to survive, and there were guards and SSs everywhere you turned. The boss reacted quite well to his new environment. Fact was, he was so stupid, he was dangerously unpredictable, and he would keep showing up and shooting at you when you weren't prepared for him.

The level had all sorts of nasty, mercilous sequences in it, yet it was a lot of fun. Some of its strategies I even replicate to this day. That's how well the level has stood the test of time.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:25 am

Wow, now that was a long time ago, I'm not quiet sure when it was I started editing Wolfenstein, but I think it was some time around when Phase 1 of Project Totengraeber, back then one of my friends had a cd that filled with various games and programs, and it even included a couple maps for Wolfenstein as well as editors.

Of course I never released any of the maps I created, which I was going to call "The Apocalpyse", if I did release them (I don't have them any more).

And then I discovered that who could create your own game with Wolfenstein through the use of its source codes, which took me a couple years to get right, after which I started my first mod "Rising Evil". And with every mod I create I try to beat what I previously created.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:46 am

Last edited by Thomas on Fri May 27, 2011 2:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:01 pm

Cool topic. I loved reading the stories so far, especially Loki's and ack's. Mr Green

I don't remember the first time I plugged a wall into Mapedit and looked at it in the game (I think I was more obsessed with making weird elaborate dead guard/pushwall tricks that took a million years of trial and error to figure out at first - lol), but I do remember having made atleast 10 levels already on graph paper (and my sister and cousins had made some too) before we even knew that any wolf3d editors existed. It was alot of fun just plotting different scenarios down, especially when there was nothing better to do at camp, and just trying to imagine what it would be like to play them.

If anyone cares, the first map I ever made in Mapedit can be found here. It needs to be unzipped in the same directory as Wolf3d to run though. The map is E1L1. I guess alot of my first pictures can be found in there too. My favorite thing about my first level is probably how these walls in the top right corner keep spitting out guards that you can walk through to enter a little trove of secret areas, and being able to venture off the map Laughing . Like ack with his original first map, I made this level much more complex and full of crazy secrets when throwing it into the Live Brains episode of the 1998 version of Chokage though.

@ack: Do you still have MySpear? I did a quick search on some old wolf3d addon CDs, on the 3dgamers version of the manitoba ftp mirror, and on Mr. Lowe's site, but didn't find it yet. I'd love to check it out if you're willing to share, as it's always fun to see how mappers started out.
TheTalentedMrLeo
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 35
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:51 am

I don't recall what exactly sparked my interest to modifying Wolf, but I would have to say that it was because of Chris Chokan's Super Chokage...which I managed to stumble upon back in 1999 (Thanks Chris Thumbs Up). The first editor I used was Bill Kurby's WolfEdit 2.1, and that rather obfuscated sound editor which I can no longer remember its name. It was horrible. Seriously.

When I'm not being lazy, I'll write the rest of the story.
WLHack
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 65
finland.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:31 am

I think the my first Wolf-editing experimence were back 1997, when
I got my hands to WolfEdit and MapEdit... I remember how me and
my friends used to do maze-like maps and competed who could
finish the level with lowest time...
Sporb2000
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:43 am

my first modding experiance dates back to my pre-immiration stage where i helped my father and brother work on a Mod called Wilfenstein 3D using The kirby editor - Wilf was a scouse who wore a flat cap and a shirt tied round his waist with braces holding his pants up. I also worked on Chip-stein 3D which consisted of a giant chip instead of a french fry and 'chipler' instead of hitler. Dont ask.

Sadly all our floppies got damaged on the trip and we lost all our software inc the mods

Bring 'em On

Topics: 11

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:54 pm

In middle school and high school I'd have lots of specific obsessions that came and went pretty quickly. I remember when I first bought half-life I didn't even make it halfway through the game and I was trying to edit it but was too impatient to read the instructions - and then gave up after all I could do was a from a tutorial showing me how to make a room shaped like a box connected to another room shaped like a box. Wolf probably would have been the same if I hadn't gone through the map editor and internalized all the levels. I also had read both the Bill Kirby guide and the BJ Rowan one about 3 times each before starting, because I felt like it would help dramatically.

It really did, too. My first actual level was pretty boring and empty, but not at all bad by first level standards. I think you started out in an empty wood room and then the door opened to a big but empty hall that branched and a section you had to run through had those hyperactive officers behind green barrels. I was so proud of that idea of putting them behind barrels because it reminded me of that area with all the "verboten" signs in e5l2. Anyway, I did a fair number of other small levels...most of which ended up getting deleted when my harddrive crashed or I tried to import them into that old version of Floedit that crashed all of the time. Most of the good ones I remembered enough to make better versions of for Chemical Warfare anyway, so it turned out to almost be a blessing in the end. For example, I think it's level 19 that starts pretty much the same way as that very first level I did, and levels 6, 13, and 25 were based off old ones too.

Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:30 pm

I remember it well. It was back in 7th grade, the year was... 2000, I believe (maybe early 2001), and I downloaded FloEdit and started whipping up maps in it. My first maps, like most peoples' first maps, were horrible. And I mean horrible. I started on a 5 level set that had no floor codes, but I decided to remedy this problem after the first one. How, you ask? Why, I made everything deaf! I couldn't just use common sense and figure out what these floor codes were for, I had to make it so everything couldn't hear. Moreover, the designs of the levels themselves were quirky. The first level had a secret elevator hidden in a pushwall, but it had dogs behind it (the one thing that wasn't deaf), so half the time you couldn't get in it. Both elevators in that level had switches on either side, oops. The second level was a long hallway with openings on either side in it with loads of guards. If you actually tried to fight any guards, you'd almost assuredly not make it, but you could actually just run through the whole level to an elevator through a door on the side of the wall about two thirds through the hall and just be done with it. If you continued down the hall, you got to two sides of openings, the left being filled with treasure/health/ammo and the right being filled with more mutants than you could see. I had great times trying to take down those suckers, failing 99% of the time.
The third level was kinda normal, the fourth was normal in the latter part, but you started out in a room full of dogs. And I mean a big room with lots and lots of dogs. Something like 50, I think. That was another really fun one. Then there was the fifth one, which never got completed and was basically a small room connected to a larger room that was filled with deaf guards facing you. Not just filled as in there was a lot of them, I mean I drew a line of guards to contain them slightly, then I used the fill tool and then I made them all deaf. They were just still, I could run up to them, look at them, start talking to them, think mean thoughts about them, nothing happened to any of them until I shot them, and even then it only affected the guard who got shot. Had some fun with that one, too.
But wait! Five level set? I think not! Remember what I mentioned about a secret level? It was hard as CRAP, but once you got to the end there was a long hall of mutants hidden behind columns until you reached a jump point (that I placed correctly only out of sheer luck), so it was virtually impossible to make it on anything but "Can I play daddy?", and even then it required some luck. Everyone at school thought the whole mod was cool, especially because I figured out early on how to edit sounds and graphics, so we ended up with exploding dogs, guards that said some line in StarCraft (I forget what line), SS that said the "Somebody call for an exterminator?" line from StarCraft, and I'm pretty sure a few other StarCraft lines (I was big on editing maps for that a while back, too).
A month or so later, I got back to the editing front, somehow magically improved in my maps, for I had discovered placement of static objects and FLOOR CODES! Sadly, I screwed those up too, because I tried to simulate an advanced sound system by making it so enemies heard you in other rooms if you shot in certain places and not in others, which ended up causing the occasional enemy not seeing you even though you'd be just down the hall, but other than that it didn't have too many issues. Then I read the guide that came with FloEdit, said "oops", and moved on.
I think I'll throw in my first coding experience, too, not that it was a pleasant one (but whose was?). I won't go into great detail, but basically I was drawn in on the premise of missile launchers, so I followed Poet's tutorial and forked it up badly, and when it finally compiled I realized I'd mixed up a few tilex's and tiley's, so the missile would hit on certain rows/columns, not when the enemy was hit. Then after I got that working, I made the brilliant decision of increasing MAXACTORS to 250 to avoid those "hey man we don't have any free spots in the objlist" messages. I couldn't figure out what was causing abnormal program termination, especially since doing MCS' calculation was giving me the strangest number. I then sent it to MCS and he found that needle in the haystack like a true saint, explaining to me that it's not good to mess with those values unless you're experienced and know what you're doing. I can thankfully say now that I know what I'm doing messing with those values, and though it feels good to have come so far, I realize every so often that I'm still faaaar from being an expert. I learned back in June or so that what's in an actor's "think" slot for its statetype is executed every tic, not before the statetype is executed. I had the hardest time figuring out why a certain projectile did so damn much damage, but I guess now I'm venturing from "first experiences of map/graphics editing" to "experiences a couple of months back with coding". Smile

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:21 pm
   Subject: Re: Good for Good Times

ack wrote:
Please don't expect much - lol

I found this quite enjoyable to play ack. Even for an earlier set, there's alot of crafty ideas and cool design concepts in here, to me atleast, and the fun factor is definately there. I usually don't play addons start-to-finish right after I download them, or at all, but I started playing this right after work today and just kept wanting to play more. I think the only time I laughed was at some of the huge areas full of guards on level 15, and there was a few rare mazes that I got a little annoyed with at first, but overall I found everything quite clever, awesome, and fun. I could probably write a paragraph or two about some of my thoughts about each level, and I think around 90% of it would be positive. I just finished the set on the baby skill level so far (83:33 time, 90% kills, 10% secret, 47% treasure, score 934,800; though I wasn't aiming for anything in particular), and am quite eager to play it again to get more familiar with everything and perhaps find the two secret levels. Old ack maps for the win.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I was playing it the whole time without any wolf3d sounds on (just listening to an old keyboard recording in the background to set a n00b / oldschool mood). My Up arrow stopped working totally on this computer, but I just changed my arrow keys to IJKL and kept playing anyway - haha.
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 54
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:27 am

I had made maps for things like Quake, doom and Duke 3d before, so when I decided to go with something more raw I turned to wolfenstein. First I drew up my level on a sheet of graph paper and then stole some truck graphics from spear, and made a simple pine forest graphic with the same color as the ceiling. I made the map. It even used the walk through wall trick so you could get a secret by going through the trees. Sadly this map will never see the light of day as I've since deleted it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:42 am

Well I've been playing Wolf 3D for absolutely ages, and one day, about 2 years ago, I was looking round Mod DB and noticed how many MODs there were for it! Wink

I decided to check them out and noticed Orb of Dilaaria! I e-mailed Adam asking him how he made such an amazing MOD and he advised me to check his site! I downloaded the WDC and then just started changing the sprites! Cheesy Grin

It all started from there! Mr Green
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:16 pm

I had what I liked to call an "editorgasm" in late 1999 and plunged into Mapedit 7.2 (editing the Spear demo--how many people start off with that?). The resulting level, "Sudden Death", was an edit of the original first level that took two days to create and was an exercise in total chaos as well as a demonstration of most of the bugs in the Wolfenstein engine. It has 149 guards and 64 doors, and most of the added parts were either in one floor code ("Floor 35") or no floor code at all. Basically, about a third of the guards on the map would be alerted if you fired a shot ANYWHERE and most of the rest would be alerted if you fired a shot anywhere in the Floor 35 areas. There were invisiwalls, blind guards, and plenty of instances of disappearing objects when half the population of Germany come barging out of the doors that were EVERYWHERE. The design was extremely extensive, intricate, and interconnected, making gameplay completely unpredictable. You could beat it if you were fast enough. If you weren't...that's why it was called "Sudden Death". It took me about a year (and more than a hundred crappy levels) until I started making decent levels. The Road to Despair, started in December 2000, had the first levels I made that were any good (and some of them weren't--levels 3 and 5 were especially horrid). I'm currently whipping up a levels-only homage to episode 1 that will blow everything I've made before (and the original episode 1) away.

Sadly, Sudden Death has been lost. It was fun in a bizarre sort of way. It had just about all the possible things that could be done wrong done wrong and it was incredibly ugly (why is the entire level in that red brick with odd-colored bricks thrown in even though the ceiling is green so it looks like some kind of demented Christmas? Why are all the doors elevator doors? Why not?Mr Green), but it was weird, it was crazy, and it was mine. I made an homage to this level in TRTD (level 14), but in trying to manage and control the chaos, it lost the mad, manic feeling of the original.

Now here's where I'm at now--two ChaosEdit screenshots of Episode 1 Revisited, just to show how far I've come:
level 1
level 3

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:39 am

Last edited by Thomas on Fri May 27, 2011 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:53 am

There are two extra maps in The Final Assault that aren't in the normal level progression (which goes up to level Cool.

Start the game in DOS by typing "assault nantana" and then press Right Shift+Home+Backspace in-game, then use the tab-W cheat to warp to level 40. Levels 40 and 41, the last in the game were included in the first beta because....just because.

TFA will eventually be updated, just not at the moment.

Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:57 am

Last edited by Thomas on Fri May 27, 2011 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Soldat 555

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:42 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

My first Wolfenstein editing experience was a project I was working on called Wolfenstein And The Holy Grail. It wasn't very good. At that time, I didn't know how to modify graphics or the story so I scrapped the project. The first Wolfenstein conversions I released on the Wolf3d Dome are the 4-part Wolfenstein:The Secret Missions. Each new part to the series has an additional 2 levels added to the game.

Thunderstorm Joshua Aaron Waight Thunderstorm
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: