DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Beyond Wolfenstein II SE - Nayt Smith
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> U-Rate-It View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

You Rate the Software
Fantastic
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Above Average
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Average
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Below Average
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Poor
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Voted : 14
Total Votes : 33

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:10 pm
   Subject: Beyond Wolfenstein II SE - Nayt Smith
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Part of the U-Rate-It Series... Tells us what you think of this add-on.
Your voting will help rate the software listed on our homepage and any comments may be used in the sites review of the game...

Post your "Review" below, if you'd like to tell us more...

Greg
BrotherTank

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 3:21 pm
   Subject: Re: Beyond Wolfenstein II SE - Nayt Smith
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I don't know why they removed BW II SE from website due to Copyright from ID software. I still have 3 different kind of BW on CDR. I voted below average for those projects. Confused
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:40 pm

It may have been great at the the time because of its sheer innovation but compared to today's standards... it sucks. The levels really aren't great... just about average. The graphics aren't great... just about average. The coding isn't great... just about average. So needless to say I voted average. Very Happy

Though the arena levels are a nice touch.
Reivax44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:37 pm

A pretty ancient TC which could hold it's own when it came out... but I'm afraid (well, pleased really) that many TC's have put a lot more effort in graphics, source code etc... Still, though, not bad to go back to play sometimes.

Bring 'em On

Topics: 11

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 8:55 am

I always liked BW2SE, despite my *ahem* differences with "Nayt". It probably seemed much cooler back then, but the tons of new weapons were a good innovation. And, although the levels were not very deep, they were pretty fun. It's not spectactular, but it's some pretty good fun.

I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 8
poland.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:57 am

Heh.. I didn't even have a chance to play it... What happened to that add-on? And why it seems to be so popular?

Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:59 am

Martin wrote:
Heh.. I didn't even have a chance to play it... What happened to that add-on? And why it seems to be so popular?

It was banned by ID, because of copyright infridgment issues...

I didn't even like the damn thing, so I don't really care...

Executor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 53

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:38 pm

Yeah, by the standards of Project Totengraeber, Heimzahlung, Zusammenkrauft (how do you spell it?), Gotterdammerung, Spear Resurrection, etc., it sucks, but its innovation garners it an above average rating. Plus it's illegal.Twisted Evil

Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:19 am

Hmmm...but the "being illegal" part is the easy part, isn't it? It's making sure you're carefully acknowledging everyone and everything involved in the project, the original projects, and related to folks who might play the project that takes time...that's my take anyway... Razz

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:36 am

I remembered loving BWII when it came out, and I also loved BWIISE the first few months. However, after I played it a year after its release, I just found out it wasn't much fun anymore. It wasn't because of its lack of source changes...By the contrary, until SOD2 came out no other game had so many source code changes and new sounds. It was because there was very little substance to it.

The storyline is...Uhm, wait a second...What IS the storyline ??? I don't even think there was one. Ok, well the weapons are...Uh, well, there's a shotgun, a rocket launcher, two pistols and a few weird machine guns that don't look anything like real machine guns that I've seen before. The weapons all pretty much act the same, without even slightly increased damage or even real strengths / weaknesses with the exception of the rocket launcher. Well, the historical accuracy is...WHAT historical accuracy ? And who are those enemies ? What happens when the game ends ? Nothing. Nothing. Nothing.

This game is flash. It's like a 9-minute guitar solo...Dazzling at first, but not something you'll probably listen to very often unless you happen to smoke a lot of pot, are an aged burned out hippy and are impressed by that sort of thing. Point blank, the game just gets old after a while without a lot of substance, heart and soul to sustain it.

I do understand that when this game was released that there weren't a lot of source code heavy mods floating around. Most mods back then only changed ceiling colors and the song order, for example. I think BWIISE was probably just meant to show what could be done with Wolf3D's engine and showcase Nayt's talents. It's an interesting look back at what was considered revolutionary at the time, but not really something you'll probably end up playing a lot as a lot of games today have improved upon the source-heavy concept and delivered better playability and storyline to boot (Heimzahlung, for instance...Though not my favorite TC, it offers everything BWII had pretty much and even tosses in a storyline).

The main thing I do like about this game are the levels. They have a simple shoot-'em-up feel to them similiar to the original Episode 3 of Wolf3D. Also, the Clone Wars and Rocket Arena levels are very cool. Clone Wars gives you a taste of what MultiPlayer Wolf3D would probably feel like, and Rocket Arena will test your run-shoot-duck-run-shoot-duck skills. Overall, the levels do fit the game well and show off the features of the engine to their best.

I'm not trying to dump on this game, really. It was revolutionary and changed Wolf mods forever when it came out. It's just a shame it hasn't aged too well. It would be an interesting play if you can get your hands on it today for those new to Wolf mods who want to see what can be done with the game, and it is a classic to a degree, but it's not something you will probably replay very often.

-Ian
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:10 pm

In my humble opinion, not having any story at all is the kiss of death for a mod in my eyes. I just can't get into a game that doesn't claim at least SOME kind of story...even a crappy one helps a little. Without a story, even with all the bells and whistles, you're just an idiot running around shooting stuff up. Besides, if you don't know what your goal is, how do you know when you've accomplished it? Think

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:24 am

Well, after replaying this game years later and having more than memories to go by, I feel compelled to write another "review" or whatever for it... I think I was pretty unfair in some regards.

First off, BWIISE was revolutionary, and I believe an important mod for the community. Hell, it was BWII that really made me more interested in hacking at the code myself, along with games like Totengraeber. I think BWIISE did inspire a lot of modders down the road by showing what could be done with the engine, and it still does inspire modders today in an indirect way who are carrying on the "code cracking bad-ass" tradition (lol). You have to remember, for its time, even stuff we would consider simple and overlook today like adding new guns or projectile weapons was mind-blowing and very difficult to do, unless you knew C++ pretty well and studied the code long enough, and there really just weren't enough C gurus hanging around for anyone to pester. So, for these reasons, I do believe it is a classic, and a good game for everyone to play, even if only to see what the past was like (hell, three years is like three decades in Wolf years).

The gameplay does get old, though, and there are things today I totally forgot about... Like, THE BIG GIANT KNIFE OF GOD! (Please, Nate... Couldn't you have resized the knife or something?? BJ's hand is like 20 times bigger than the guards!) Stuff like that is kind of funny in a bad way, but I think we've seen worse before. But some things are genuinely cool... Like the prisoners that wander around the levels and their cells, an idea that to this day still hasn't really been explored very much. And remember - Nate was the first one to include the now oh-so-popular and cool rocket launcher which started some of the most hillarious threads in the world back at Brandon Farmer's Source Code Help Message Board (even BJ Rowan got involved in those to tell people to shut up and stop whining to know how to make a rocket launcher!). I guess playing this one again just reminded me of "the old times", and that was pretty cool and special in a way.

It's still not a favorite of mine, but it's a worthy play if you ever run across it for historical reasons, and maybe some of the mods will give you an idea for your own TC. It's a kind of cool, "dumb-fun" set, but I don't know how well the newer crowd will get into it. The concept has been done better since then, and where Nate failed others have picked it up and gone forward (and hey - Good or bad, it's still being talked about today, even though it's very hard to come by, which is pretty impressive). But it's interesting to go back and play the oldies and the underdogs from time to time, even if only to see how far the Wolf community has progressed since then.

-Ian

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:42 am

Question, Why do so many people have a prob with Nate? Also, what other games besides BW BWII and BWIISE has he released?

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:39 am

Deathshead wrote:
Question, Why do so many people have a prob with Nate? Also, what other games besides BW BWII and BWIISE has he released?

Most people don't have a problem with Nayt... but ID surely did. See:

Click Here for Bunker: Take Note!

Nayt pretty much stopped working on releasing games after this. While he is still seen in the Fan forums on Yahoo from time to time, he's pretty much left the scene.

Hope that helps...

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:36 pm

wrong. people DID have a problem with nayt. he was a right-winged egomaniac with a jesus complex. and he had a big chin too. HAH
The_Mutant_Maker

Topics: None
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:54 am

Quote:
wrong. people DID have a problem with nayt. he was a right-winged egomaniac with a jesus complex. and he had a big chin too. HAH

Surely your not still 15.......

http://themutantcoltd.110mb.com
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:49 am

I've seen statements like in Himmler's SS:

Quote:
People I Hate:
Nate Smith

This is a good game but that puts me off.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:45 am

Gary wrote:
Nate didnt like it??? I went to his Schabbs Ressurection page, and the credits (following Special Thanks to) said No Thanks to: Chris Chokan. Whats that all about?

Laughing

Remember that bio/alliance page we had brent? Good times. My mother would have been proud...
(P.S. Congrats on winning the last http://www.agentss.net contest; whatever it was - lol.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:37 pm

beyooooond the beyondddddd!
hell yah. that was amazing. remember the neo-fascist threatening to kill me or something in the guestbook? that was amazing.

i think we should do that again someday.
Dr. Chainsaw
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:29 pm

Evil or Very Mad It's got a DOOMish feel, very evil Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:35 pm

It is really??
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:46 am

What the...? Hey! No digging up stale, ancient, ten year old posts! Made me think something really interesting was going on here, but alas, no...

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:13 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:30 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well, I'm so glad he drug me out of my deep dark sleep to view his retarded single comment and NOT click on his link...may he rot in hell...okay, maybe nothing that extreme, but I hope he gets lots of PC viruses...

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> U-Rate-It View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: