DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Getting error with ChaosEdit....
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
MacGyver
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 13
finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:54 am
   Subject: Getting error with ChaosEdit....
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Always when I modify something from sprites/vgagraph I get the error "Out of memory" when I try to start the game. It was funny. I tested it with changing BJ's hair color to blonde in the screen where he is grabbing a gun from dead guard. How can it be out of memory if I didn't add anything, just changed the hair color to test if I get the error again? Any thoughts why this happens?

EDIT: I tested this with Floedit and didn't get any errors then.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:16 am
   Subject: Re: Getting error with ChaosEdit....
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

You should try to figure out exactly which file is causing the problem.
One way is to back up all your files, then try inserting the original wolf3d files.

For example (after you back up your files), replace:

VGAGRAPH
VGAHEAD
VGADICT

With the original wolf3d files. Does it work now? If not, now try:

VSWAP

If it still doesn't work, try:

GAMEMAPS
MAPHEAD

Then, try replacing the WOLF3D.EXE with the original.
This style should atleast help narrow down the problem to the correct file so it would be easier to help.

At the moment, I can think of a ton of things that could possibly be causing this error (vswap pictures that use the left/rightmost line, gamemaps files with too many sprites/guards, vgagraph pictures over 64k or that are corrupt, an altered exe where you changed something (i.e. caching too many vgagraph lumps, the abnormal program termination error, a memory leak), using a different OS environment/setup, selecting an option ChaosEdit that you shouldn't have, etc.).

Also, try using ChaosEdit v1.22 to see if you still get the error. I'm curious to try v1.23 now to see if I can replicate your error.

edit: I just tried making BJ's hair yellow with ChaosEdit v1.23 in the title pic, then saved the VGAGRAPH, and the original WOLF3D.EXE worked fine. Then I re-coloured the water puddle sprite to yellow with ChaosEdit v1.23, then saved the VSWAP, and the original WOLF3D.EXE worked fine (I could see the changes, and play the game). The only weird thing I noticed after making the changes was how odd it looks to see BJ with bright yellow hair and running over bright yellow water puddles. Laughing
MacGyver
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:10 am

It has an option to save wolf3dexe? Where's that? I have save all and save vgagraph etc. but haven't noticed wolf3d exe saving.

EDIT: I edited the title screen and now it didnt give me any errors. Weird. Has it something to do with the fact that I use vdmsound with Windows XP?
EDIT 2: Now I got it again. When I edited the read this screen with BJ and dead guard. Do I have to save Vgagraph only , cause previous times I used "Save all" function?
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:30 am

MacGyver wrote:
It has an option to save wolf3dexe? Where's that? I have save all and save vgagraph etc. but haven't noticed wolf3d exe saving.

Nah. I just heard that you wanted to edit the source code in another thread, so I wanted to make sure that wasn't the problem.
You'd be surprised how many times people (myself included) forget about certain things that they changed when trying to find the source of bugs.

MacGyver wrote:
EDIT: I edited the title screen and now it didnt give me any errors. Weird. Has it something to do with the fact that I use vdmsound with Windows XP?

I wouldn't think it would, but I've heard a few weird things about VDMSound from lwmxynedtodth and Ripper. No idea though. I don't really use VDMSound.

MacGyver wrote:
EDIT 2: Now I got it again. When I edited the read this screen with BJ and dead guard. Do I have to save Vgagraph only , cause previous times I used "Save all" function?

I used "Save All" too, and it worked here. Feel free to send me your corrupt vgafiles (I PMed you my email) if you want, I'd enjoy trying to find what's wrong.
MacGyver
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

finland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:11 am

I sent you the files, interesting to see what you get out of them.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:05 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

MacGyver wrote:
I sent you the files, interesting to see what you get out of them.

Thanks for the files! I see what you mean now. Smile
When dealing with Apogee v1.4 shareware or full, ChaosEdit (at least v1.22 and v1.23) messes up a few vgagraph things.

Here are some of the scenarios I noticed:

- If you use Save All, the game won't load, because it doesn't do the "Load/Save Screens" part correctly
- If you only use "Load Graphics", then click "Save Graphics", the game will load and work, but it will destroy the tile8s

I think Floedit also destroys the tile8s, but it's usually not a big deal since they're only used for the debugging codes.
So, I guess it would be better to just use the "Load Graphics" and "Save Graphics" buttons if you're using those Apogee v1.4 wolf3d versions.
You'd have to re-copy the original vgafiles to your wolf3d directory first though, since the "Save All" permanently messes up your current vgafiles.

I'll post a link to this thread in the Beta Breakers thread so Ripper knows about this! Thanks for pointing it out MacGyver.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: