DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Resizing the View
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
the_fish
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 12
uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:50 pm
   Subject: Resizing the View
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Does anyone use this feature?

If so, why?

I'm only bringing this up because I am well and truly at a loss to explain it. It's extra code and my code modifications have to work around it (e.g. the framerate killing DrawPlayBorderSides whenever I want to print a message, in case it goes over the edge of the border which won't happen on full view).

Does anyone seriously use a computer nowadays that needs the boost in framerate by reducing the size of the screen?

I'd value some input - I really want to scrap this annoying feature.

(and I'll try to calm down Razz)
Codetech84
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 22
finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:18 pm
   Subject: Re: Resizing the View
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The borders aren't drawn realtime, so you can't save performance there. Resizing it to the max viewsize game will have to render more columns so you'll be facing a performance drop.

Edit: Oops, I misread your post... Embarassed

Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:47 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

the_fish wrote:
Does anyone use this feature? If so, why?

Krazzy Chokage.

Or for when I want to print lots of stuff on the border while playing. Heh.

the_fish wrote:
Does anyone seriously use a computer nowadays that needs the boost in framerate by reducing the size of the screen?

I'd value some input - I really want to scrap this annoying feature.

Sure, go for it. The framerate isn't the only thing that the screen size settings was created for, though. It also tries to give you a screen size based on how much main/conventional memory you have left and can handle. As you already know, the main memory in Dos is capped at 640k, nomatter how good your computer is. After everything is loaded into Dos (drivers, etc.), whatever you have left is how much your main memory can handle. My "mem" command in Dos says I have 618k (633,472 bytes) free, so I hardly ever get resized when playing addons, though I know some people who have a lot less memory, many in this forum, and their screen size automatically adjusts to something lower when playing certain addons... usually addons with a lot of features that take up around 540k-590k. Spear takes up a little more than wolf3d because it has to cache some extra things like the textures on the menu, and some versions of Blake Stone take up over 600k.

If you're compiling with 16-bit Borland, and want to be safe, it would probably be a good idea to keep the feature in there, especially for hefty exes, or atleast make sure you have a lot of far memory cleared out first (the easiest way to do that is probably by using Ripper's "removing the scalers" tutorial).

If you're still using WOLF4GW though, nothing from your code goes into main/conventional memory anyway, so yeah... if you don't get some kind of wild satisfaction out of moving the screen size up and down, then there's probably no point in you keeping it in WOLF4GW. Have fun wiping that sucker outta there! Laughing
the_fish
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 12
uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:04 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Chris wrote:
If you're still using WOLF4GW though, nothing from your code goes into main/conventional memory anyway, so yeah... if you don't get some kind of wild satisfaction out of moving the screen size up and down, then there's probably no point in you keeping it in WOLF4GW. Have fun wiping that sucker outta there! Laughing

Mr Green SIR YES SIR!

Ok, that's pretty much what I thought, was just making sure so if I release without this feature someone is going to email me saying 'omg u rmvd teh scr33n resize btns! ur mod sux beans' (not sure why anything would want to suck beans, or why someone would type in bad 1337-speak (is there GOOD 1337-speak?), but the internet is a crazy place...for example it wants me to believe random pink haired girl is Chris Confused )

4GW is still working fine, with a pretty decent framerate on my machine anyway (had to optimize a bit, but it's looking pretty neat - 50+fps almost all the time). Almost finished the coding, now just gotta get all the graphics done (sigh).

btw, Chris, what is that site you linked to? A directory of mods you've done/are working on? If so that's an impressive number!
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: