DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Wolfenstein Advanced - Feature Listing
Page 4 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:37 pm
   Subject: Re: Wolfenstein Advanced - Feature Listing
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

>Currently I am working on writing code that will not only recognise different games, but pull up a nice menu so that you can select which game to play from the menu... Smile So far, it's not doing so well.... at least not as a graphical interface...

I can relate to that. I've always had problems making good GUIs since I started programming PCs. That's the major part of what's missing with my texture generator utility right now (Every setting is hard-coded into the program for the time being). I'm even digging up someone else's Public Domain code just so I can get the program to use a mouse. I'll try to make the code as simple to design and easy to use as possible of course, but it's a task no one in the world ever envies. Oh, for those simpler, 8-bit, command-line OSs of the day .... Sad
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:10 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Though this is off-topic, Tricob, perhaps the reason the GUI is the tough part is because you're using an older programming language. I seem to remember you saying this was being written in QBASIC, which will make things more difficult. 8-bit stuff would be the same thing. With modern languages, the GUI becomes the easiest part to do so you can worry more about the underlying code.

Anway... my apologies for off-topicness.

I'm actually surprised that we've not heard anything until now also. Hope you get to feeling better, BTank.

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
hungary.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:23 pm

Yeah, Get better quickly, BrotherTank Smile I can't wait for Wolfenstein Advanced!
I made some "upgraded" walltypes for "old" walltypes such as Wood Panelling, check them out in the image gallery Smile Use them if you want, that's the least I can do to you. Still,I'm most graceful for restoring my registration Smile

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:04 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
Though this is off-topic, Tricob, perhaps the reason the GUI is the tough part is because you're using an older programming language. I seem to remember you saying this was being written in QBASIC, which will make things more difficult. 8-bit stuff would be the same thing. With modern languages, the GUI becomes the easiest part to do so you can worry more about the underlying code.

OT: Actually, it's simply programming a GUI for the *PC* that's daunting for me.

In my ECB days, I needed no drivers, no Assembly, no nothing. Every single feature I ever needed was built directly into the TRS-80 Color Computer's interpreter. These features even included Key Repeat and Mouse capability.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:23 am

Actually, the problem with making it into a nice graphical interface is due to the way the source preloads the vswap of all things. To see what I mean you have to follow the starting code where it starts up the page manager.

In order to make it look like part of the game, it would need to load the vswap to allow you to use the graphics for the menu, but then if a game had a different vswap (in the same directory) then it would require it to dump the old and reload the new.

So basically, it requires loading of the original vswap... then building a menu of games it finds in the same directory and then dumping the original vswap and re-paging/loading the new vswap... it can be done, but I'm working out memory problems...

Greg
BrotherTank
Ringman
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:44 am

I don't know, I'd be plenty happy with a command prompt if you ask me. Razz

Seriously, though, its nice that you take the time out of your hectic life to do these sort of things for people you barely know. But I'm sure your getting something out of it. Right? Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:56 pm

This really sparked my interest in my Wolfenstein mod again, I can't wait for it to be done. I have a feature request if it's not hard to implement (And sorry if I missed this when I read the topic last night), how about allies and civilians. People to fight alongside you, and people you loose score for killing. Both of these would work great in my mod, and I'm sure many others as well.

I have a question too, are both the motorcycle and jeep going to be in or just the one? I probably won't use either, but I do think I could stick the jeep in my one escape level, so I hope it makes it in.

Even if none of the above makes it I will still worship you as a god Cheesy Grin

Last edited by Guest on Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:30 pm

If you read a bit earlier, you'll see he's cutting the vehicles out.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:36 pm

@Dragon's:

No need to worship... I'm just a humble man who is still learning how to manipulate the source. There are always those that can do more or will do more... (ie Ripper, Mcs, Darkone) ... as these people know ASM or at least can manipulate the asm where I can not.

@Deaths:

The jeep is actually still in the vswap... and still enabled in the code. I personally will not be using it in anything I design with the engine, but it will still be there for those that wish it.

Also you asked in the Plus thread about thunder and lightning.... Very easy to do... Use the "Bonus Flash" to simulate the lightning... at random times and play the thunder sound at a random interval between 0 and say 4 seconds after the flash... It actually looks great with a darkened cloudy sky and the rain/snow effect going at the same time.

Greg
BrotherTank

The probability of someone watching you is directly related to the Stupidity of your actions
&
The two most abundant things in the Universe are Hydrogen & Stupidity - H.Ellison

Which of those is more relevant to you??
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:25 pm

Kool. Thanks BT, a help like always.

By the by, I found a new way to keep track of seperate ammo types. Here's my gamestate for ammo:

::: CODE :::

unsigned char   ammo[TYPE_OF_AMMO]

I got the idea looking through the original CHanging the Raycastor tutorial you posted. It used DOOR_TYPES and such. I'll post a tutorial on Code Crackers.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:00 am

BrotherTank wrote:
@Dragon's:

No need to worship... I'm just a humble man who is still learning how to manipulate the source. There are always those that can do more or will do more... (ie Ripper, Mcs, Darkone) ... as these people know ASM or at least can manipulate the asm where I can not.

It's not so much the fact that you've made awesome changes to the source than it is that you're releasing the engine for the whole community to use.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:14 pm

may we see an updated listing?

Born4battle
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 37
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:57 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
Yes, the guards are all a little different.... Or should I say.. they get tougher .. ie: the enemy order is:

Brown Guard - Original
Blue Guard
Green Guard
Gray Guard
SS - Original
SS2
Officer
Officer 2
Mutant
Bat

The Blue guard is a little harder to kill than the brown... the Green a little harder than the blue and so on... up the chain... You will find certain guards may move as fast as an SS or Officer... If there is room in the code (memory wise), I will try and make it so that you can define the properties of the enemies seperately... But for now, they are hard coded items.

Fly_895 wrote:
Finally, I must insert three greedy requests here as well. I love how you're adding a shotgun and a rocket launcher, but could it be possible to add in a "flamethrower-type" weapon as well? What about a silencer to the SMG as a pick up? Finally, is overheating for any of these weapons coded in at all? It would be the prefect feature to balance out the Chaingun and/or flamethrower.

Yes, there is a silencer... it works with the pistol and the machinegun...
Flamethrower?? Probably not.. But never say never.. I'm working on turning the Motorbike tutorial into a jeep... so..
As for the overheating weapons... not really... unless you call random jamming weapons overheating... (again an option selectable on the setup menu).

Also... With the setup menu... Changing items like textures, sounds, messages etc... don't affect gameplay so those can be changed at any time in the game... But, the things like "Bosses Alert to sounds, Enemies pick up items... and such... Those will change the gameplay... Hence.. if you start a game with one setup... that is how the game remains for the remainder. Loading saved games will restore the setup that was chosen when the game was started.. So unless someone cheats by hex editing a savedgame, they aren't going to be able to change the way the game plays (and for Chris... I've set it so that any change where the checksum isn't equal to the checksum of the saved game triggers all items that affect gameplay to be turned on Smile )

Cheating is one of the things that MCS and I discussed while he was making the changes to EoD's code.. And I liked his ideas... So any editing of a saved game will strip the player of weapons, keys, points, etc.. and really make life difficult.

Anyhow... enough said for now... back to finishing up some other details in the game...

Greg
BrotherTank

uh, ur making a bat harder to kill than a Machine gun carrying dude with a bullet resistant vest??? Besides, i believe the officer was put in to replace the guard, not to overpower the SS. As your farther in, the guard becomes, crappy, hence: OFFICER!, but i see it as

guard
bat
officer
ss
mutant
bosses
pacman

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 106
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:35 am

Wow, this seems like a cool project Smile
If you need any graphics help, I might find some time to help.
Zombie_Plan
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:14 am

Born4battle wrote:
BrotherTank wrote:
Yes, the guards are all a little different.... Or should I say.. they get tougher .. ie: the enemy order is:

Brown Guard - Original
Blue Guard
Green Guard
Gray Guard
SS - Original
SS2
Officer
Officer 2
Mutant
Bat

The Blue guard is a little harder to kill than the brown... the Green a little harder than the blue and so on... up the chain... You will find certain guards may move as fast as an SS or Officer... If there is room in the code (memory wise), I will try and make it so that you can define the properties of the enemies seperately... But for now, they are hard coded items.

Fly_895 wrote:
Finally, I must insert three greedy requests here as well. I love how you're adding a shotgun and a rocket launcher, but could it be possible to add in a "flamethrower-type" weapon as well? What about a silencer to the SMG as a pick up? Finally, is overheating for any of these weapons coded in at all? It would be the prefect feature to balance out the Chaingun and/or flamethrower.

Yes, there is a silencer... it works with the pistol and the machinegun...
Flamethrower?? Probably not.. But never say never.. I'm working on turning the Motorbike tutorial into a jeep... so..
As for the overheating weapons... not really... unless you call random jamming weapons overheating... (again an option selectable on the setup menu).

Also... With the setup menu... Changing items like textures, sounds, messages etc... don't affect gameplay so those can be changed at any time in the game... But, the things like "Bosses Alert to sounds, Enemies pick up items... and such... Those will change the gameplay... Hence.. if you start a game with one setup... that is how the game remains for the remainder. Loading saved games will restore the setup that was chosen when the game was started.. So unless someone cheats by hex editing a savedgame, they aren't going to be able to change the way the game plays (and for Chris... I've set it so that any change where the checksum isn't equal to the checksum of the saved game triggers all items that affect gameplay to be turned on Smile )

Cheating is one of the things that MCS and I discussed while he was making the changes to EoD's code.. And I liked his ideas... So any editing of a saved game will strip the player of weapons, keys, points, etc.. and really make life difficult.

Anyhow... enough said for now... back to finishing up some other details in the game...

Greg
BrotherTank

uh, ur making a bat harder to kill than a Machine gun carrying dude with a bullet resistant vest??? Besides, i believe the officer was put in to replace the guard, not to overpower the SS. As your farther in, the guard becomes, crappy, hence: OFFICER!, but i see it as

guard
bat
officer
ss
mutant
bosses
pacman

dude...like...OVER A YEAR OLF REZ~!!! SOUND THE ALARM~!

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:26 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Born4battle
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:27 am

thanks thomas, but sorry, i forgot to look at date.

But still, even when i make a topic, and it goes unanswered for a year, i still want that question answered, i have like, 5 of those

Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:40 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:48 am

Born4battle wrote:

guard
bat
officer
ss
mutant
bosses
pacman

I'm going to try and be nice here...

Are you asking why I did this or telling me how it should be?

First let me say, the project isn't dead... just I haven't coded anything to it in some time. It's mostly been overlooked because of the accident that I was involved in 10 months ago. And it will be released when I think it's ready.

As to the guards.... If you are telling me how it should be... Build your own. It's not like the code and tutorials aren't there already. As to the actual enemies themselves, that is the list... But I think if you read it a little more clearly, I am talking about Guards when I say that they get stronger as you move up the enemy list. For that matter, why can't the bat be stronger than the guards. By the looks of it, the bat holds a different weapon than any of them. And bats themselves use sonar or sound to determine where they are and where they can move. I would believe that they have a greater ability to react than say a person. But again... it's all symantics. The order of the list was taken from their storage place within the game. And as I said above, in response to someones question about the different coloured gaurds... They (the guards) become harder to kill as you go down the list.

I hope that makes it understandable and causes less confusion.

Greg
BrotherTank
Born4battle
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:00 am

I'm not asking why or telling you how, I'm just saying how it was registered in my mind, and that it is wierd that you put the bat at the end, but all in all, the mod looks great!

DieHard Wolfer

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:16 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Born4battle wrote:
I'm not asking why or telling you how, I'm just saying how it was registered in my mind, and that it is wierd that you put the bat at the end, but all in all, the mod looks great!

It's not really a mod though, or at least I never believed it was. I was under the impression that it was an engine with which to easy and efficiently base new games off of Wink

as such, the idea i believe, isnt for people to use the bat and soldiers AS-IS, but to insert new sprites, etc, to give each character a different appeal, personality, etc. I'm sure someone making a game off of the WA engine could very well rectify this 'problem' you see with some simple sprite changes?

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Addons/Mods/TC's View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 4 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to: