DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Map of the Month Contest - June 2k7
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Which Maps Did YOU Like Best for June 2007??
Map 1: Forbidden - by: Adam Biser
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Map 2: Here Goes Nuttin - by: Ack
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Map 3: Abandoned dungeons - by: Serpens
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Map 4: Deja View - by: BrotherTank
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Map 5: Citadel - by: Areyep
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
Map 6: Out of the Blue - by: Thomas
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Map 7: Luger Me Now!! - by: CodeTech84
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Map 8: Paths of Peril - by: Tricob
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Map 9: Gun & Run - by: MegaByte
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Map 10: Secret Corridor - by: RonWolf
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
Voted : 16
Total Votes : 43

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 163

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:28 am
   Subject: Re: Map of the Month Contest - June 2k7
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 20
poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:49 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I have a question. I really like E6L1 and didn't see anything wrong with the two long hallways in my level (Abandoned Dungeons), but since everyone else seems to dislike it... what would be better, making all the enemies in those hallways react to the first fired shot, or eliminating them completely?

Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 163

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:22 am

Last edited by Thomas on Sun May 29, 2011 11:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:26 am

@serpens: My main problem was not with the long hallways themselves, but the guard placement. With the guards right next to the main path, the player can "bump" them and set them off easily. If you made those little coves 2 tiles deep on each side, instead of 1, it would place the guards a little more out of sight so there's a better chance of an ambush if the player tries to go down the hallway without checking the sides..

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:57 am

This competition seems to really be motivating people - fantastic to see Smile Actually it's also been great in that I'm getting to know some decent people that I hadn't given myself the chance to get to know seeing as I hadn't been involved in the scene as much in recent times. It was good to discover that not only does Dean come from the same part of Oz as myself, but that he's an Essendon supporter ... well, that wouldn't make much sense to most of you as it's an Aussie thing, but we take our Aussie Rules football very seriously Smile

Anyway, it's interesting reading about what people are saying about the levels. I should take this chance to describe my madness of level 5.

How to achieve the par time - I'm not a par time expert but this was my thinking when I made Citadel for those who like playing a level over and over trying to beat the time limit:
There's a way to finish the level without killing any of the 3 bosses (and I guess this was my excuse for putting the 3 bosses in as I knew there was a way out, only problem is that it may only be obvious to me seeing I designed it, but it's not obvious to those playing the first few times). Open the pushwall in the room outside the starting elevator to save doing it later - you need the blue key to get in there though, but you'll have this later.

Now sprint all the way down the first corridors past all the guards in the rooms (you'll have a few dogs and guards to pick off as you go) and you can get to the small round room at the end. From in here I guess it's best to spend a minute or two picking off all the enemies in the next area as they come to the doorway after you've alerted them with a gunshot. Get to the room with the blue key (you'll have to pick off all the enemies that come from the adjoining rooms once you grab the blue key), there's a pushwall right near where the blue key is. This leads to a room with some ammo and a chaingun. You'll alert Gretyl when you enter this room, but she can't easily get to you here. Take cover from her shots and in this room there's another pushwall that yields a gold key.

With both the gold key and blue key in your possession you can now run back to the starting elevator area (there are 2 ways to get there, the shortest way makes use of the gold key). Be alert for Gretyl - she may surprise you but just run away from her if she does and lure her away so you can get past her. Once in the starting elevator area open the blue key open the locked door that was behind the pushwall. This will get you into an area with more ammo and another chaingun. You'll encounter some mutants along the way, but the ammo in the gold key area and her should get you through easily enough. Ignore the General - he will come after you but just make straight for the elevator, picking off all mutants you encounter, and the exit lift is yours.

Of course it requires knowledge of the level to do this, and no one can be expected to do this until they've completed the level the hard way. Fair? Unfair? I don't know, but that was my thinking when I made the level.

There's other ways to get through the level but this is the quickest way as far as I know - you don't get many kills of course but I guess that's how people normally beat the par times.

So my suggestion to anyone that decides to put more than one boss in a level is to consider making an alternative way for them to get to the finish if you plan to make things tough.

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:09 am

serpens, I agree with Adam Biser about making those alcoves two or three units deep. I also might use officers instead of guards because they have a quicker reaction time. I'm not a big fan of e6l1, but that's more personal taste than anything else.

Thomas, I'm looking forward to your July submission.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 76

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:16 am

I'm looking forward to all July submissions, since this month shows that we have some great mappers around here. Smile
wolfie3dfan
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:33 pm

Good to see there is alot of interest in these maps. It has made me bring out my old laptop and start playing wolf again.

Last edited by wolfie3dfan on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:59 pm

@ AReyeP - This run through is very possible! I just tried it and made it through first time. I took a bit of damage from the mutants but never got shot once by any of the bosses, I didn't even see Hans! There is so much in the level that I suggest people try to handle this level going for 100% all round but after you've achieved that then this is a bit of fun to try.

@ Thomas - You are one of the best mappers that Wolf has ever seen, but you can't expect every level to be spectacular. I am certain though that having played every level you've ever released (and some you haven't) that a brilliant level isn't too far away from you. Maybe YOU should go back and have a look at 'All this and Wolf 3D'! The levels in that were some of the best I have ever played. Playing your June submission I could tell it was yours just from some of the common identifiers that you use but I do agree that it wasn't one of your best. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you and everyone else has done for their July submissions.

It's going to be great getting a chance to play levels from people that I haven't played before, a whole mod can be daunting but only making one level still gives you a chance to get your work out there and a chance for people to play it and see what skills you have. As soon as my mods completed I'm planning to make a submission for this - not this month though unfortunately.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:54 pm

serpens wrote:
I have a question. I really like E6L1 and didn't see anything wrong with the two long hallways in my level (Abandoned Dungeons), but since everyone else seems to dislike it... what would be better, making all the enemies in those hallways react to the first fired shot, or eliminating them completely?
The layout in general should be enhanced, IMO. Check out Level 11 of Spear Of Destiny. This is an excellent example of how to use such a sequence more effectively.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:27 pm

Thomas wrote:
The best mappers I've known finally returns when I'm in my weakest mood for Wolfenstein... Now that's a treat... Laughing
Seriously though, I've done a lot more better work on my July submission. I kinda got tired with my June-one as well... Now I realized that one wall only is totally boredom, but it's been a while since I last was idle on this. But I got a feeling it's coming back. Smile

I wouldn't worry Thomas.... It's all in fun really.. And it's also a chance for everyone to try different things and expand their mapping styles. I mean if I hadn't known better (as I knew people like Poet and a few others weren't entered) I could have sworn that AreYeP's level was done by someone else... It was sort of in his style but then again..not..

It's all a hit and miss anyhow... as it all depends on the attitude everyone's in while they are playing the game. One day they might be in the mood that a level blows them away and then another day think something the same or similar sucks or is just average. The hype with this being the first one also made things interesting and I suspect that July will be quite different because:
  1. You now see different people entering...
  2. We've played the first set and it's given us ideas...
  3. The maps have been cretiqued and you know what people liked and didn't like....
And probably many other things as well...

It's also one of those life lessons that we all learn at some time... And that's you can't win all of the time, and you can't please everyone all of the time... So just keep on trying and mapping and lighten up... Hopefully after playing last months, it's put you in a better mood and we'll probably see it in your next map... I said I'd like to beat Ack and AreYeP just once... and all it takes is one map for me to do it. It might not happen for months... but I'll keep having fun making maps with ideas that inspire me to not only challenge myself, but everyone else as well...

And if they don't like this months... there's always next...

Greg
BrotherTank
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:27 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

BrotherTank wrote:
Thomas wrote:
The best mappers I've known finally returns when I'm in my weakest mood for Wolfenstein... Now that's a treat... Laughing
Seriously though, I've done a lot more better work on my July submission. I kinda got tired with my June-one as well... Now I realized that one wall only is totally boredom, but it's been a while since I last was idle on this. But I got a feeling it's coming back. Smile

I wouldn't worry Thomas.... It's all in fun really.. And it's also a chance for everyone to try different things and expand their mapping styles. I mean if I hadn't known better (as I knew people like Poet and a few others weren't entered) I could have sworn that AreYeP's level was done by someone else... It was sort of in his style but then again..not..

It's all a hit and miss anyhow... as it all depends on the attitude everyone's in while they are playing the game. One day they might be in the mood that a level blows them away and then another day think something the same or similar sucks or is just average. The hype with this being the first one also made things interesting and I suspect that July will be quite different because:
  1. You now see different people entering...
  2. We've played the first set and it's given us ideas...
  3. The maps have been cretiqued and you know what people liked and didn't like....
And probably many other things as well...

It's also one of those life lessons that we all learn at some time... And that's you can't win all of the time, and you can't please everyone all of the time... So just keep on trying and mapping and lighten up... Hopefully after playing last months, it's put you in a better mood and we'll probably see it in your next map... I said I'd like to beat Ack and AreYeP just once... and all it takes is one map for me to do it. It might not happen for months... but I'll keep having fun making maps with ideas that inspire me to not only challenge myself, but everyone else as well...

And if they don't like this months... there's always next...

Greg
BrotherTank

Steve's map was quite the challenge here, and he won, that might explain the high level of difficulty on the July maps...
Or maybe they think everyone is an awesome player - we may never know...

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 3 of 3 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: