DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

"Awesomest Weapon" contest
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:02 pm
   Subject: "Awesomest Weapon" contest
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey you! Yes, you! Want a subdomain on Dugtrio17.com with PHP/CGI/allthatgoodshit, unlimited space (pretty much, since I've got 20GB) and bandwidth and a MySQL database? Of course you do! Then you'd best start cracking at the code, because you're going to have to design THE MOST AWESOMEST WEAPON EVER to get it. What do I mean by awesomest? I don't just mean something that'll kill everything in the level or do a billion points of damage, I mean something that makes you truly go "WOW" at how cool it is. That said, here's some ideas.
- Projectiles are always fun places to go, since you can easily make a projectile do tons of cool stuff. A grenade launcher that transforms guards into other types of guards? A weight launcher that slams an enemy about 20 feet? The possibilities are limitless.
- I'm not limiting it to one function. Heck, it could have a random function each time it fires if you'd like. Of course, you don't have to build it up with functions to increase your chances, I'm just giving you ideas.
- Change states, abuse CheckLine, use that radius function by our good buddy Poet, the pieces of code you need to make badass effects are out there and easy to use.
Of course, not everyone's a coder. I encourage everyone to give it a shot, but hey, it's just not everyone's cup of tea. So I'll make this a two-part contest: there's the coding aspect, and then there's the art/concept aspect. The art/concept aspect is judged mostly on the art, the concept's just there as extra, but having a cool concept can be a selling point. Rather than split the contest AGAIN for high res and low res, I'll just set it at having to be a standard 64x64 low res texture. It can be as many frames as you want, but numbering them can't hurt, and please do include a text file describing your weapon of mass awesomeness.
ENTERING:
To enter, send your stuff to me at dugtrio17 at dugtrio17 dot com. Here're some specific details about entering each contest:
CODING:
- You can send an EXE if you'd like, but you're required to send your changed source files/project so I can compile it myself. I have my reasons, and they're not to steal your code. If you don't want your code publicized, just let me know (or rather, let me know if you DO want it publicized; if you don't comment then I'll assume you don't want it out in the open).
- Don't send a VSWAP of the art for your weapon, send the sprites separately and I'll insert them myself. Be sure to number what sprites are what, and if any have to replace some existing sprites, be sure to note that fact. Same goes for sounds/status bar images.
- Art isn't judged whatsoever. I mean, I'd be happy to see a cool-looking weapon that acts just as cool, but it's not required. Of course, sometimes what the weapon shoots can be half of the fun, but in that case just making sure it's recognizable will do the trick.
- Don't be intimidated if you're not one of the "Coding Masters" or anything. Don't forget that there's tons of cool stuff that you can do with even a basic understanding of the code.
ART:
- No sprites converted from other games. That should be obvious.
- Wolf3D 256 color BMPs only. Don't try to sneak any beautiful 24 bit bitmaps past me, the size will be a dead giveaway.
- There's no limit on frames. Make it as long as you'd like. It can't hurt to note how long you want each frame to last, either exactly or approximately.
BOTH:
- ZIP IT UP. Don't send me twenty attachments, you'll make my inbox sad.
- Either enclose a text file in the zip or describe in the email various aspects of your entry, such as frame order, how long you want frames to last (for art), what images get replaced, et cetera et cetera.
- You can enter up to two times. This means two coding entries, two art entries, or one of each (or one that is entered in both). BE SURE TO SPECIFY IN YOUR ENTRY WHAT CONTEST YOU'RE ENTERING.
I think that's everything. The deadline is January 1st, 2006, so we'll ring in the new year with some badass weapons, at least if people enter.

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:57 am
   Subject: Re: "Awesomest Weapon" contest
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

i'll be entering. thats a definate.

*begins thinking ideas*

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:57 pm

Sounds amazing! If my uni work lets up for a while, I may just give it a shot.... YES! THOU SHALT DIE BY MY ULTIMATE SUPER SPECIAL SAUCE GUN OR SOMETING!11 *goes to bed*

Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:11 pm

Good to see people getting interested in this. I'm hoping to get some interesting results, not to mention hours of fun from all the toys I get to judge. Twisted Evil

EDIT: And after some thought, I've come to the crazy conclusion that the prize may actually discourage some people from entering, most likely those with webspace already. Well fear not, for not only is the prize 100% transferrable, but you get your own Chokster-inspired trophy!

Topics: 19

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:16 pm

ZOMG!!! You people HAVE to try it. The prize is so awesome. I mean my website is at http://solidspear.dugtrio17.com and like its the best place to have your subdomains at! It's a great prize!
I'm not much of a coder or artist so I won't be participating but I'll be rooting for everyone!
TexZK
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 19
italy.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:30 am

I can't post ChiefRebelAngel's "Mjlonik"... however, you'll see it in Helvete! It has many frames, single shot, it waits for you to release the firing button before launching thunders that will shade your screen with a blue flash! Amazing? Yes, but we can do better weapons.

PS: for those who want to join the contest:
Dugtrio17 wrote:
- Wolf3D 256 color BMPs only. Don't try to sneak any beautiful 24 bit bitmaps past me, the size will be a dead giveaway.

So, they can send 128x128 frames?
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:29 pm

Nah, I don't want to complicate the contest TOO much, for fear that there won't be enough people entering.
Dugtrio17 wrote:
Rather than split the contest AGAIN for high res and low res, I'll just set it at having to be a standard 64x64 low res texture.

I've seen some people make some beautiful 64x64 weapons, though.

Topics: 101
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:49 am

I'm sorry to say, I'll be dropping out. My dad has my computer because it's acting up, so all my stuff (minus stuff like my mods source, which is on my iPod) is gone. I wont be able to code until it gets fixed, which wont be for ages.

EDIT:

My ideas were as follows:

1) After playing playstation 2, I thought it'd be awesome to have a vacuum weapon that would suck up enemies and shoot them back out as projectile ammo, running in the direction of fire. Can anyone guess what PS2 game I played?

2) Not nearly as good. A tranqiliser weapon, that launched a poison dart. The dart will either, kill them immediately, kill them after they make 10 steps, blow them up after 5 seconds, or paralyze them.

I got the second one partially, but was having trouble with the first. Those were my ideas.

Welcome to 2016, where DHW still thinks it is okay to ban the world's most popular email service provider, and I can't have an avatar over 10kb

Last edited by Zombie_Plan on Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:18 am

Agh, that's sad to hear. Hopefully others are entering without saying anything in this topic...
But you can share your idea, of course.

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:32 pm

Well, today's the deadline, and it seems we've had a resounding zero entries. Better luck next time, I suppose.

Topics: 94

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Quote:
1) After playing playstation 2, I thought it'd be awesome to have a vacuum weapon that would suck up enemies and shoot them back out as projectile ammo, running in the direction of fire. Can anyone guess what PS2 game I played?

Half-Life 2?

HL2's Zero-Point Energy Field Manipulator (also known as Gravity Gun) is fun and interesting...

Actually that's a great idea! Wouldn't it be FUN if you could use that weapon to pick up barrels, tables, plants-in-pots, suits of armor, etc and launch them at enemies?

Maybe I'll put that in sometime! That actually wouldn't be that difficult to add...
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 164
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:37 pm

Now *that* sounds like fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???
Matthew
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 94

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:47 am

In Half-Life 2, you can use that weapon to pick up ALL SORTS of different types of objects, from soda cans to barrels to oxgen bottles to chairs, and launch them at enemies at high speed. One really fun thing you can do in some locations is pick up thin, sharp metal gears, launch them at enemies, and slice them in half! You can also launch oxygen bottles at enemies that explode and set the enemies on fire. Burn, baby, burn!

You can also launch wooden objects (like chairs and perhaps tables) and being made of wood, they shatter on impact. And I've read that you can launch paint cans at enemies and splatter paint all over them. Smile

That is one really fun thing about HL2 that would be fun to have in Wolf3D: creative unconventional means of disposing of enemies. Although I have so far only played the demo of HL2, I am hoping to get the full version sometime, although I'll need a newer, more powerful computer to run it well.

HL2 is known for its advanced physics engine. Wolf3D, of course, does not have such an engine, but you still could have a simplified version of this weapon.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:08 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Ratchet and Clank.
Hl2 wasn't released on ps2.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: