DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Map of the Month Competition - August 2k7
Page 2 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Which 3 of the 12 maps did you like best??
1 - Facing Hell - Thomas
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
2 - Death Han's Way - BrotherTank
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
3 - Blutbahnen - Serpens
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4 - Cleavered Up - Haasboy
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
5 - Siege - Lozer_42
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
6 - BwaHaHaHa - Ack
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
7 - See Not Touch - Tricob
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
8 - Hot August Nite - AReyeP
20%
 20%  [ 9 ]
9 - Fun With Adolf - Adhesive Boy
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
10 - Pas Fantastique - Arielus
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
11 - One Big Secret - Ronwolf
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
12 - Inner Sanctum - Dean
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Voted : 17
Total Votes : 44

Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 167
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:36 pm
   Subject: Re: Map of the Month Competition - August 2k7
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Personally, I'd never vote for myself for any reason. Now, I've heard of people doing such things simply so they could end up being a winner. But the fact is, if you only got the most votes because you voted for yourself, you haven't proved anything.

I believe in that old axiom "Let the best man win", and I wouldn't want the most votes for my map unless I earned them honestly. Maybe that's just the way I was raised. I don't know. But that's how I am.
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:35 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I have to agree with you, Tricob. I didn't vote for my self either. It's hard to explain why, but I guess your answer is alot like why I don't either.

AND you also don't have to use all three of your votes. I only voted for two maps this month...

Beer

Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:54 pm

I wouldn't worry about where or who votes for what. You can only vote 1 time and pick a maximum of 3 levels to vote for.... So there really isn't a problem. Not that I do vote for my own map, but I also don't see anything wrong with voting for my own level should I want to. When I created the idea, I assumed that people would vote 1 of their votes for their own map...

And voting isn't open to just those that made maps either... Anyone can vote - that downloads and plays the levels... The main thing to remember here is that it's really all in fun. Each month anyone can submit a map for the collection if they so choose and it gives everyone in the community something to play. So please don't worry about if someone votes for their own map...

Another way of looking at it.. aren't you proud of your map? Don't you think it deserves a vote? Does it really matter if it's your own? Nope... Because this is just a fun thing to participate in... and fun to play. I've really enjoyed the levels so far... And I hope to finish the maps soon for this month as I've been spending a lot of time playing with the code...

Greg
BrotherTank
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:54 pm

I've finished all but Levels 9 and 12 so far. Some of the levels here seem very AReyeP-ish. I have to admit that they're some of the highest quality levels I've seen in the Mapclub contest yet. These folks have done some truly impressive work.

I do intend to vote for three levels and not less, at any rate. There's at least three in mind that deserve it, and considering the fact that I haven't completed all the levels, the number's open to incrementing. Smile
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:06 pm

That's interesting Tricob, I'm not trying to be mean or anything but to be honest I've found them a little less enjoyable than last month's. I think in a lot of people's efforts to try to outdo themselves and others that some have tried a little to hard.

So far I've come across a number errors, switches that don't work or floor code errors such like AReyeP mentioned in last month's thread. But also the general overall gameplay in a fair few seem to have slipped a little. I'm through 9 of the 12 (Not the first 9 straight either by the way) and there have only been 2 what I would call 'excellent' levels, the rest have just been stanbard fair IMO. I find that the levels are a lot more difficult with a lot of bosses used in some very difficult places (One level where I had to abandon playing after a boss killed me 25+ times straight because I was in a tiny room with nowhere to run too) but that some of the flowing coherence of the levels have suffered with the concentration to high on getting the bosses in and trying to shock the players a bit too much.

I'm not trying to scare people off from playing them or thinking that there aren't good levels in here because their definately is, I'm fairly certain that I've identified at least 3 of the authors maps so far (Of course I could be wrong). I just thought that honest feedback would help all mappers when working out their maps from September's entry, I'll elaborate a little more with some comments I have written down on each level after the voting period has finished.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:39 pm

I'll admit the number of bosses this time around has been a bit much. But the fact is, no map designer could've known that so many other people would be putting a boss in a map just as they did. It just happens sometimes. Smile

BTW Dean, if you E-Mail me your saved game with the boss trapping you, maybe I can help you out of this jam. Smile
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 9

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:15 pm

I've made it through about 5 or 6 of the levels, and right now I'm on the fence. I won't say that a few haven't been quite annoying and frustrating in places, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a challenge as long as you're given a good chance to complete it. I do think a few people went overboard with the amount of guards in places though.

btw Dean, which level was the one with the boss where you got stuck? I'm curious because I haven't played through half and I want to know what to look out for.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 22
poland.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:11 am

I'm with Dean on this... although the levels are still of high quality, sometimes they are just frustratingly difficult, and frustration contradicts fun. Sometimes, I have a feeling (though I might be wrong) that mappers trade aesthetics and atmosphere for adding traps, more guards, firefights and overall increased difficulty. That's why my personal favourite to victory is one map which doesn't do what I mentioned above and is just a great level. Two others I voted for are also two which didn't trade atmosphere for difficulty and both feel and play great. I'll happily read Dean's notes (on my own level too) to see what was wrong - this is another good way to improvement.

My own map, although apparently not as difficult as others (hopefully I'm not giving away too much here), will probably end up in the "standard fair" category. And I also think that I have identified a few of level makers in this month. Can't wait to see if I am right.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:38 am

Finally finished the last of the levels today. I voted for my favorite three of the twelve. Seeing how the votes come out in the end will be very interesting to me. Smile

And yes, I have my guesses as to who did a few - Serpens, Thomas, Arielus, AReyeP, Ack, BT, Codetech84, Haasboy ... the names go on. But seeing how wrong my guess was as to which level was RonWolf's last month, I've lost my ability to even guess which one his is. Confused
Arielus
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 25
argentina.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:14 pm
   Subject: Map of the Month Competition - August 2k7

Alright, I've finished playing all twelve levels, both on Can I Play, Daddy? and I'm Death Incarnate!. I personally feel the overall quality this month is the best yet, as there is not one bad level in this compilation. I'm crossing my fingers for this endeavour to see many more editions.

I found a great number of this month's contributions really tough; I would say I'm a decent Spear/Wolf player, but this time I was forced to save rather often so as not to have to start from scratch again. I'd be lying if I said I didn't get frustrated now and again, and I'd also be lying if I said my frustration did not have an impact on my three-level pick.

In addition, things like impassable objects now passable due to one or more moving enemies placed right next to them, guards who don't react because of floor code selections, the possibility of picking up the same key twice in the same level, fighting the same boss twice or thrice in the same level and hollow walls, only to name a few, sort of don't work for me. It's in everyone's rights to choose to use these resources, but to me they work against realism if one's trying to keep true to the original Spear/Wolf, as I understand this contest has tried so far. I found examples of some of these peculiarities in several maps.

Like with July's package, here I chose aesthetics, attention to detail and gameplay when deciding which three to vote for. And like with July's package, I did not consider my own submission, as I don't believe in voting for one's own map; everyone's entitled to do so, but I choose not to. Picking three out of the remaining eleven, then, was not easy, but playing the set twice helped me decide.

I have a feeling I know which map is going to win, but we'll see. Overall, this was a fun month and I look forward to seeing what September has in store.

Ariel

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 54
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:52 pm

Tricob wrote:
BTW Dean, if you E-Mail me your saved game with the boss trapping you, maybe I can help you out of this jam. Smile
To be honest with you Tricob, I believe that the level I'm speaking of is yours! (Just my guess) So hopefully (If I'm right) then you'll know which level I'm talking about and which boss is in the scenario that I speak of.

To prove that I'm right, It's a boss behind a elevator door with a switch behind the boss. I won't say the boss to completely give it away - PM me and let me know how you got past it.

I've finished all the levels now and there was 1 level in the remaining 3 that was one of the most enjoyable levels to play that I've played in a very long time. In previous months I have only voted once each month but this month IMO (other than my own level! Razz ) there was 3 absolute standouts that I would have real trouble splitting, and would be unfair not to receive a vote, so I have decided to give all 3 a vote. I just wanted to say that I'm fairly sure I know who made these 3 levels but that had nothing to do with me selecting these levels to vote, they seriously were the best. In all honesty, the people that I suspect made these 2 levelks are some of the best mappers in the community so in a way it would be nice to be wrong and discover that someone else makes levels that I really like, much like Jack's level did for me last month.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:03 am

PM sent. Hope it's a help. Smile

Anyway, I'm also fairly sure who did one level I voted for, but once again, they earned the vote whether or not I figured out who did them. I think the two levels remaining were done by Serpens, RonWolf, Dean, or Ack, but there's no way to tell which ones ... Confused

And, yeah - There were a fair number of AReyeP-ish maps this time around. I guess if you can't beat 'em ... Smile
Adhesive_Boy
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:06 am

I had a post that seems to have mysteriously disappeared. For all I know, though, I could have never made it in the first place (which is likely).

Anyway, I'm glad you guys seem to have picked standouts and know who did what, because I frankly have no idea. I have a vague idea which levels I'm going to vote for, but I'm hoping that one of the last few I haven't played is a standout so it makes it easier.

I'd also like to reiterate how freaking HARD some of these levels are! I've done the most saving and loading I think I've ever done with any game on one of them. And those damn mutants seem to be on every map killing me with their ultra-quick reaction time. Next month maybe everyone should ease off on the mutants a bit...Wink.

DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:03 am

Guessing who made which level is really fun, almost as much as playing the levels. I think I know which maps were made by Arielus, Areyep, Thomas and Tricob, but I might as well be wrong. On the other hand, I am completely unable to recognize a few mappers which had their entries in both previous months - it's really difficult! I already can't wait to see the results, and it's still 12 long days left... bah, I must learn some patience.

I'd also be rather suprised if anyone guessed which map is mine. Smile Well, unless there are some clues in my mapping style which would lead to such conclusion.

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 23
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:33 am

That's the only negative thing about being coordinator for the month - you know who did what level. But funnily enough, I don't think of who did what and after playing a level I still wonder who did it and have to check up who's it was. Anyway, I'm just focussing on which levels I really enjoyed and those are the ones I'll end up distributing my votes towards.

Out of interest, we already have the first submission for next month! Once again as I'm coordinator you can send them to me at areyep@gmail.com, or if you have a problem sending to there, to my alternative email rip@areyep.com.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:48 pm

My October submission is still very much a WIP, and might not even be completed this month. What I need to do is look over all the levels I've done with my favorite sequences (minus my circular sequence in Retro Shapes; already did that), put them all together into one level, and then release it. This is really my only hope of getting more votes than AReyeP. If it means missing out on submitting a level for one month, so be it. Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:01 pm

I have an idea who did what for most levels, except Maps #3 and #4. I'm really baffled with those two.
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:21 am

Tricob wrote:
I have an idea who did what for most levels, except Maps #3 and #4. I'm really baffled with those two.

Same here. Map 3 isn't as nice and challenging as fourth level, which is a complete enigma to me. I haven't got the slightest clue on who might have created it. It's an interesting level, so I'm eager to find out who is the author.

I keep reminding myself that I have to wait with a more specific discussion until after the voting time is up...

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:41 am

Just voted, without quite finishing all of the maps (for shame!). I can't wait to see the results..

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:23 pm

I completed all but one level before voting. I just got so frustrated with the remaining level, and never found myself rewarded by it, I finally just dropped my hands and decided not to vote for it. Sad
Lozer_42
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:20 pm

Might I ask what level that was? Confused

[EDIT:]
About 2 minutes (or something like that) after posting this It hit me... "DUH! you have to wait seven more days until we can actually talk about this stuff in detail..."Mad

But anyway... I'm really 'apprehensive' right now about this whole thing. So I hope it goes by fast...

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:15 am

Well, I've finished all 12 levels and voted. I'll release my "review" of all the levels after voting closes.

I'm a bit surprised at the difficulties people seem to be having addressing the challenges in the maps - some careful thought, searching and trial-and-error will usually get the player through to the exit eventually (although, as I've said, I often had trouble finding secret areas). Sometimes it takes great patience and persistence as well. Anyone who's played - and survived - Level 1 of The Tower will know what I mean ??? !
serpens
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:08 am

A little less than 16 hours from now and the results are revealed... so, soon after I wake up tomorrow, I'll get to know them. Really can't wait...
One thing that concerns me is much less activity in this thread lately, but hopefully it's nothing really bad. Let's wait patiently. Smile

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:23 am
   Subject: Map of the Month Competition - August 2k7

As Serpens says, it has been quiet here the past few days, hasn't it? I wonder if that's because everyone has completed their voting?

I was thinking that I should post the names of those who made each level now (I recall Greg posting the names of who made what a little earlier last month too) as when the results come out, I'll be at work, and I won't be able to update the poll to show who made what. What does everyone think? Anyone still yet to vote?

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:38 am

I'm fine with releasing the names now, if not showing the completed votes. Like you said it's been really quiet around here, and I think everyone has voted by now.

DieHard Officer

Topics: 58
southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:39 am

AReyeP wrote:
I was thinking that I should post the names of those who made each level now (I recall Greg posting the names of who made what a little earlier last month too) as when the results come out, I'll be at work, and I won't be able to update the poll to show who made what. What does everyone think? Anyone still yet to vote?
I say go ahead...as I'm sure tons of people have voted already, and are just waiting impatiently to see the results.

Like the saying goes "We are waiting and it's getting irritating", ha ha ha...
I'd love to know who made what, and I'm quite sure I know which map yours was Areyep, as it had a real EOD feeling to it...

DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:03 pm

Yes, I'm with Adhesive_Boy and Haasboy here... posting the mapmakers/results now would be fine.

Pixel Master
Pixel Master

southafrica.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:29 pm

OK ... well, it seems everyone's impatient Smile I have to wonder who guessed right Smile Here's the list of who mad who, and if people want, I may unleash the results early too.

Facing Hell - Thomas
Death Han's Way - BrotherTank
Blutbahnen - Serpens
Cleavered Up - Haasboy
Siege - Lozer_42
BwaHaHaHa - Ack
See Not Touch - Tricob
Hot August Nite - AReyeP
Fun With Adolf - Adhesive Boy
Pas Fantastique - Arielus
One Big Secret - Ronwolf
Inner Sanctum - Dean

How many of you guessed right I wonder? Smile

DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

poland.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:35 pm

I managed to guess four of the maps, all others are actually quite suprising to me. Heh, I wonder which one won... I have my personal favourite, which I also managed to guess who's the author. Great that you decided to give away this part, AReyeP!

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:37 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I guessed...two right. AReyeP's and Ariel's. So I did pretty lousy this time.

But yes, please unleash the results!!

Last edited by Adhesive_Boy on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping League View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 4 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: