DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Remembrance Day
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:41 am
   Subject: Remembrance Day
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I just got back from watching the Remembrance Day ceremony and thought that it was only fitting to start a thread here at the forums, seeing as the game we all love is derived from the tales of WWII. I hope that everyone remembers the sacrifices of those that gave their lives to help bring us peace and freedom.

Here are the lyrics to a song which I think spells it out from a Canadian perspective.... By Bryan Adams....

Remembrance Day

For our king and our country and the promise of glory
We came from Kingston and Brighton to fight on the front line
Just lads from the farms and boys from the cities
Not meant to be soldiers we lay in the trenches

We'd face the fighting with a smile - or so we said
If only we had known what danger lay ahead

The sky turned to grey as we went into battle
On the fields of europe young men were fallin'
I'll be back for you someday - it wont be long
If I can just hold on 'til this bloody war is over

The guns will be silent on Remembrance Day
There'll be no more fighting on Remembrance Day

By October of 18 Cambrai had fallen
Soon the war would be over and we'd be return'in
Dont forget me while I'm gone far away
Well it won't be long till I'm back there in your arms again

There'll be no more fighting on Remembrance Day

One day soon - I don't know when
You know we'll all be free and the bells of peace will ring again
The time will come for you and me
We'll be goin home when this bloody war is ended

Well all say a prayer on Remembrance Day

On Remembrance Day - say a little prayer
On Remembrance Day

Well the guns will be silent
There'll be no more fighting
We'll lay down our weapons

On Remembrance Day

--------------------------------
I know to many, the day doesn't seem to hold the impact that it should.
Many of the younger generation don't understand or realize just what this war meant to many.
It happened so long ago, and the number of vetrans/heros of the war, are declining.
In our case, as we play the game that is based on the story of the fight for freedom.... Sadly, we become desensitized to the killing and destruction... we slowly forget the significance of it...

From my perspective, my grandfather worked as a pipe fitter in the shipyards of Britain. My grandmother worked in the blueprint office. My grandfather's house was bombed as he worked and they found the gold watch that was given to him by my grandmother (as a engagement present), in the rubble. For a time my grandmother thought he was killed in that air-raid. Both of them are gone now, but I still have watch.... Which still bears the mark where it was dented by the debris from the building. While they didn't actually fight, they too sacrificed for King and country.

Anyhow..... As the generations pass....

Lest We Never Forget those who gave so much to give us that which we enjoy today.

Greg
BrotherTank
wolfie3dfan
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:12 am
   Subject: Re: Remembrance Day
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Greg,

Thank you for this post. I just finished reading a book called War Stories that is filled with letters to home from soldiers and other military personnel from as far back as the Civil War. It is very moving to read their correspondence to family and friends and terribly sad when the letter arrives home after the writer had been killed. As a Veteran myself, I do have a deep compassion for those who also served and or worked during times of war. In these modern days, we only hear of the amount of deaths to our service people and I wish we could have access to some of their emails or letters to home. It may give us a better picture of what they are fighting for. I'm am grateful that my father wasn't killed in Vietnam and that I didn't have to actually go to the Persian Gulf area when I was in the service.

To all veterans past and present and in all countries, Thank You. Thanks to your loved ones who this day is remembered for. Veterans Day.

Barbara

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:36 am

Not a problem Barbara... I posted the message because each year, on the 11th hour, of the 11th day, of the 11th month, I either attend or watch the ceremonies paying respect and remembrance to those that gave so much (including their lives) for the freedom, peace, and independance. I just thought a post about it only seemed proper.

Every year I wear my poppy with pride as a symbol of my remembrance of the deeds and acts of the countries/people that banded together to fight opression. I listen to the song that I posted the lyrics to above, and remember not only my grandparents, but those others that served. I hoped that by posting this, members could share their stories and to keep the memories alive. I hope that it will show those that don't care, or don't share the significance of this day, what it means to many others. And in the end, I hope it keeps the remembrance alive.

Greg
BrotherTank
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:25 pm

Once again... It's the day of Rememberance.

It's hard to believe that it's been 2 years since my first post to create this thread. Anyhow, with my accident and where my life is at this point, I've been doing a little retrospective into finding out more about my grandfather. As it seems, I am more like him in many ways than anyone really noticed before. He gave these traits to my mother and uncle and they have been passed to me for sure.

It's hard to put into words the feelings and emotions that this day brings to me right now. I am truely thankfull for the effort and dedication of all the armed forces involved in bringing us the rights and freedom in our lives.

I hope that others may share stories from your, or your families past and the effect that the sacrifices of those that fought for us have had on you.

Lest we never forget...

Greg
BrotherTank
mbender
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 17

australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:30 am

My family's contact with miltary conflict is now a distant - but persistent - memory now. Thankfully Australia has always been a pretty safe distance from "the action" (although things got uncomfortably close in 1942 with the Darwin bombings and the shelling of Sydney and Newcastle).

One of my father's uncles died flying a transport plane near Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in WWII.

My mother's grandfather - my great grandfather, who passed away in the 1970s - was on a troopship of ANZAC soldiers bound for Gallipolli in 1915 when it was torpedoed by a U-boat. The troops aboard were evacuated back to Britain where he met and married my great-grandmother. He had a long career in shipyards in Melbourne and piloting tin barges in Malaya. I remember visiting him in his room at the retirement home, and thinking even then how long ago it all seemed.

My mother still keeps a rusty old bayonet, which looks to be at least 50 years old, next to her front door. Where it came from no one seems to remember.....
wolfie3dfan
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:47 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Friday I was called by an Army Reserve recruiter. When I told him I will be 43 in January and have passed the maximum age requirements for entry, he said "Well, you did serve four years already so we can get a waiver". What??? LOL Anyway, to make a long story short, I will meet with him on Wednesday to see if it is possible to get into the reserves. I guess I still have an itch to be in the care of the service again. I'll keep you posted. Thank a veteran.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Howling Wolfers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: