DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Mapedit - > Linux
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
cernex

Topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:58 pm
   Subject: Re: Mapedit - > Linux
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Yo'!

Now, I'm pretty darned new here (seeing how I have only posted in one tread so far), but, here's teh' thing: a friend and I are starting a mod / tc of hopefully Wolf 3D (part of our plan to move upwards the idtech ladder with each new project) to start with. and we want to get cracking but without a proper editor for linux, we might look at doom instead, which in our opinion would be a real shame, we don't mean to push, just rather want to know sooner rather than later if you intend to release the code?

Or even, maybe you know a Wolf 3D editor that is slightly out-dated but that is Linux compatible? You know, every bit helps.

Thanks in advance.
El Cernex
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:52 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

You can try the C version of the mapedit and see if you can convert that over to be used in Unix. It's actually a very easy to use source. There is also the Mapedit source that was released with the origina Mapedit. It doesn't take much to give it some of the same features in the last release of mapedit. and adding new functions isn't that hard either...

I am working (slowly) on Mapedit 9 - being compiled in Turbo Pascal (patched so that it doesn't have problems with todays machines - I patched the original include files from Turbo Pascal itself, so anything I write in it will run without problem...

That's a couple of sources to get you started...
Hope that helps...

Greg
BrotherTank
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 37
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:57 am

There's a C version of Mapedit? Might I ask where?
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:08 am

The C file editor file is named : Wolfm160.zip

It has all the routines needed to build a C version of mapedit... Although the current make file builds it more as a converter... Smile

Use it's source as a base.... as the routines are already created - it basically looks like mapedit 4.1

Greg
BrotherTank
cernex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:45 am
   Subject: ChaosEdit preRelease released ;D

Yo'! Updates in the Linux port thing.

We've got the source code for 7.2 of mapedit amd got it loaded under freepascal ide, and have got one definite problem with the MEM function. specifically ti's for DOS. we are unsure how to replace this, it only occurs a few times through out the code.....Any help appreciated, Smile

Also, big thanks for pointing out that the code was available with the download. It was only after re-reading teh' whole forum (lol) that we ran off and got 7.2 instead of 4.3. And also, hope you don't mind me asking if there is any reason for version 8.4 not having the code with it?

El Cernex
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:48 am

No Problem pointing out the source code... it's been floating around for some time and most people just avoid it/overlook it. As for the source being missing with the 8.4 version.... Personally, I think the three prople involved wanted to take the source private instead of public (like Bill's was back in the 4 series). You will actually see that the 7.x series only really has the 4.x series source.

On the MEM function in Turbo Pascal, if it is the $MEM statements, it is telling the IDE how much memory to give or transfer to the program to run... It's like the Dgroup in Borland C - as it is the amount of memory that the program requires to load the data and run. If your Free Pascal IDE has a different way of giving memory to the program, just replace the lines with it's equivalent...

Hope that helps...

Greg
BrotherTank
cernex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:44 am

Here's some code, BTW, about the mem usage:

seek(mapfile, map_pointer);

getmem(map.data, map.size);

s := seg(map.data^);

o := ofs(map.data^);
blockread(mapfile, mem[s: o], map.size);

So yeah, it's getting kindda tricky replacing it. :/

El Cernex
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:25 pm

BrotherTank wrote:
No Problem pointing out the source code... it's been floating around for some time and most people just avoid it/overlook it. As for the source being missing with the 8.4 version.... Personally, I think the three prople involved wanted to take the source private instead of public (like Bill's was back in the 4 series). You will actually see that the 7.x series only really has the 4.x series source.
Unless I'm mistaken, the MapEdit team took out Shareware access for Versions 8.0+ because Apogee asked that these types of editors not edit non-registered releases. If the source was released, people could modify the EXE so that it *did* edit Shareware versions. Consequently, the source from v8.0 and newer was never released. Sad
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:13 pm

Tricob wrote:
BrotherTank wrote:
Unless I'm mistaken, the MapEdit team took out Shareware access for Versions 8.0+ because Apogee asked that these types of editors not edit non-registered releases. If the source was released, people could modify the EXE so that it *did* edit Shareware versions. Consequently, the source from v8.0 and newer was never released. Sad

Yes, I understand that part Tricob, but the source that is included in all the OTHER releases is the original Bill Kirby 4.0 source. Thus, when the others took over and started adding features to the editor, it looks like they took their source private. And it was the adding features to the editor that made iD stand up and say... No editing the Shareware versions. Sure they complied, but the source was already private...

Greg
BrotherTank
cernex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:05 am

Yo'! Another update:

Now, we have gotten to the point were, even with the dos version of the editor, that's mapedit, you can't seem to get it to actually pick up the map files. Just says map files not found. looking at the docs they suggest DEF and OBJ files. Does anyone has any ideas?

Please note that, all we have are wl6 or wl1 files from various versions we tried.

We are at the point now, where the program sort of runs, but we need it to pick up the map files for me to see how broken it is

Thanks in advance.
El Cernex
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:47 am

It sounds like it's looking for the MAPDATA.WL? and OBJDATA.WL? where the ? is replaced by the version that you are editing... Those files are in the Mapedit Zip file that you got the source from...

Greg
BrotherTank
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:24 pm

cernex wrote:
Now, we have gotten to the point were, even with the dos version of the editor, that's mapedit, you can't seem to get it to actually pick up the map files. Just says map files not found. looking at the docs they suggest DEF and OBJ files. Does anyone has any ideas?
I know that numerous versions of MapEdit have a bug - if more than one file exists in the game directory that has the first three letters of "MAP", the editor assumes it's Version 1.0, and tries to open the MAPTEMP file.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:28 pm

Topic given it's own thread..

Actually The source looks for versions in the following order:

Wolfenstein 3d Version 1.0
Wolfenstein Shareware - WL1 Ext
Wolfenstein 3 Episode - WL3 Ext
Wolfenstein Registered - WL6 Ext
Spear - Registered - Sod Ext
Spear - Demo - Sdm Ext

Once it finds the map file that matches in that order, it looks for the Mapdata and Objdata files that corespond to the extension of the mapfile found first. The source uses an if then else if then else structure to find the version in the directory. So if you have both wl6 and wl1 in the same directory, it will try to edit the wl1 file.... Or at least that's what the source I'm looking at says...

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: I was already playing with this and Areyep has a Beta of my version of Mapedit 9 as I was calling it. I'm still working on getting the rubberband mode for cut and paste to work properly, but for the most part I've given it all the features of 8.4 and then some... lol... But you'll have to wait a while for it.... as I don't have a release date for it at this time..

BT Tank
cernex

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:25 am

Alrighty, another update:

Thanks so much for the info about the mapdata files, the dosversion attempted to load it in dosbox but the svgalib wouldn't load for some reason. Anyhooot. I (<-that would be bofh, the main programmer and codder of the duo) found the .\ and change it to ./ in gamepath, and badaboom it read in the files. Loaded up, on it's own terminal, barely legible text, graphics corruption basically...........

Bofh attempted to use a drop in replacement for graph - ggigraph that would not link when compiling unfortunately, he had found nCrt a nice ncurses drop in for CRT.

At this point, he is currently rehashing the main pas file as a unit to a graphical X window using canvas.

If you have any tips or advice, they would be very, VERY weolcomed.

Thanks in advance
El Cernex
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:04 pm

Could be that you're dealing with a graphics card/chip that doesn't emulate VGA/EGA modes 100%. I know that MapEdit - in several versions - runs in a 640x480, 16-color VGA mode. If your graphics chip or video card can't work with this mode correctly, you'll get display-related problems.

At least one version of the source used the file EGAVGA.BGI. If that's the case here, I'd suggest looking over how the file's data is used, and devise a work-around. You might be able to cheat and trick the code into running the editor in a 256-color 640x480 mode.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:21 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Actually, they all use the EGAVGA.BGI file. In the later versions the file is acutally appended to the end of the source so that they just read it via the offset set to the end of the code section and the beginning of the appended file. I'd check to see if your version of the compiler has a basic vga grapics file.

The EGAVGA file is a precompiled Object file with specific calls to set up the video card in the desired mode that the program requires for drawing and plotting the output. I haven't looked for a replacement or means to set the video card into other modes to allow for enhanced drawing methods because I have Borland Turbo Pascal and have patched the files to allow for it to run on the newer macines without the "200" error...

I'll give a look and see if I can find another driver that might be useful.. And hopefully something that is programmed in pascal as part of the compile, so that you can see and modify the source to fit your needs in Unix...

Greg
BrotherTank

ps: does the compiler that he is using accept .tpu units?? If so I can send you the compiled tpu units that I have for working with this code...

BT Tank
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Beta Breakers View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: