DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Music
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:33 pm
   Subject: Music
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:54 pm
   Subject: Re: Music
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I know some people don't think highly of the Spear Of Destiny music because they think it's over-produced: "Death To The Nazis" was a "Kill The S.O.B." wannabe with some "Nazi Rap" thrown in, "The SS Gonna Get You" was a "Get Them (Before They Get You)" re-write, and "Tip-toeing Around" was a faster, more original version of "War March".

However, I'm into high-quality, professional-sounding music, and overall, the new music for Spear Of Destiny seemed more professional to me than Wolf3D's. It really demonstrates how much Bobby Prince had grown as a game music composer. He really outdid himself with "Funky Colonel Bill", which still amazes me no matter how much I hear it. Note how he had the Synthesized Bass in the background set at a low volume, to mimic the vibrations of speakers playing the bass line. IMO, that was nothing short of genius. Smile

"Tip-toeing Around" took some getting used to for me; I wasn't used to marches at the time. And when I did adjust to it, I couldn't figure out why the tempo had dropped so much near the end. I turned the volume way up one day and found out why. There's at least one instrument (a distorted guitar) playing that you won't hear well under many MPU-401 cards. The volume of this instrument is set too low for you to hear it at the normal volume setting. This same instrument is much more audible in the SOD tune "Putting It To The Enemy" on Floor 17 ("Deer, neer, den-nen-nen-neer ...").

"Jazzin' Them Nazis" was a pure delight for me to hear. I remember hearing that music for the first time when I hit Level 19, and it cracked me up. Wolf3D had a comical tune of its own ("Wolf Pac?"), but this tune I'm much more found of, mostly because it's much more original. And like all of Prince's secret level tunes, there's Zero distortion in it. Smile

"Evil Incarnate" (Level 21, a.k.a. Level 18 Part 2) freaked me out when I first heard it, and it still does. The Angel Of Death sequence is the only scenario I've ever played that's mostly red - yet still scares the wit's-end out of me. Whatever the producers did here, they did right. Smile

"Death To The Nazis" was - IMO - much better than the "Kill The S.O.B." tune it was supposed to mimic the style of. I felt it had much more of a sense of rhythm, and the musical layering in the middle of the tune was a nice touch ... something I thought the tune's predecessor badly needed.

You all probably know how I feel about "The SS Gonna Get You". I've always thought this was a great tune, and it was even part of the inspiration for my own tune "Only One Survives". The "SS" tune was much more artistic tune to me than "Get Them" was, and I think that's why it's made such a lasting impression on me. It sort of tells a story all by itself, which is very unusual for game music. Smile

"Puttin' It To The Enemy"? Didn't much care for that one, I'm afraid. It lacked the musical sophistication of the earlier tunes, and it seemed to me as though it was very under-produced. At no point in the tune did it play something that actually got my attention, and that's a rare story for Bobby Prince. Sad
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:07 am

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:03 pm

OT - "Funk You" was always of one of my personal favorites. I was thrilled to hear it as the first tune for the SNES Wolf3D port. If the SNES game engine was half as good to me as the music in the port was, I'd still be playing it today. Smile
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:55 am

Last edited by Thomas on Mon May 30, 2011 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:42 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Re: "Spear: Resurrection". Some of the tunes are from "Blake Stone: Planet Strike", if I'm not mistaken. But some of the most memorable tunes from the AUDIO files aren't even played in the game. I plan one such tune to appear in WolfDX.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Spear of Destiny View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: