DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Two different routes
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Reactor
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
hungary.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:23 am
   Subject: Two different routes
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

"...mechanical sub-system with two possible routes....activating the system is a direct route,but it's dangerous. Extending service bridges is safer but the lighting systems are fried. Make a choice, marine. Good luck..."

This feature is totally forgotten about, I've seen this at only VERY few games: two possible routes to finish the game. Two possible routes to finish a level is also a nice thing to discuss, yet it has a drawback: Guys who want to earn 100% from anything would need to access both routes. So I figured out that instead of finishing a level on two distinctive routes, how about finishing the GAME through two different routes?

An example: You stand at the exit elevator of level 2. There are two elevators. One of them would take you to level 3, the second one would take you to a different level 3, or perhaps level 11, then level 12, and the exit of level 12 would take you straight to level 6. Finishing the game in 2 different routes would also ask for a re-play, so you could explore what happens if you choose the other route. This would be an exciting and very useful feature in many Wolf3D and Spear add-ons, if a player could choose between two paths, eventually leading him to his ultimate goal. One of them would be a short-cut to the ending, but with increased difficulty and more enemies. Other route would be longer, but much safer. What do you think about my idea? Smile

Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:32 pm
   Subject: Re: Two different routes
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Orb has alternative paths in it. These paths were never a shortcut, though some choices led to levels that were more difficult than the others and it was all sort of left to chance which the player would pick rather than indicating one as leading to a difficult level. To handle the ratios, only totals for the levels actually played are counted.

http://winwolf3d.dugtrio17.com/wiki/Orb_of_Dilaaria#Map_List

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
hungary.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:16 pm

Nice work, Adam Biser! So you actually thought about this forgotten possibility of a game! Walking through two different paths, experiencing different obstacles, different challenges through the game, and when you finish it, you feel "I'm inspired like! What may wait for me at the unknown other route? Let's find out!"

In earlier years, I used up the secret level as a short, but VERY intense alternate path through the game - maybe a little flashback to computer games, where you type in the level code, and warp to the desired level. Of course there was the problem that none of the base games (Wolf3D or Spear) would accept taking this "shortcut" and you were missing serious ratios because of the skipped levels. But you nicely solved this one too. Outstanding job, yes Sir Smile

Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:22 pm

I think having different paths can add some realism to the game as well... do I sneak through the sewers or go blazing in through the front door?

I used a plane 3 code above the elevator tile to set the exit level. If the code was 0, it went to the next map numerically. If the code was > 0, you went to map #(code - 1). The ratio code, though, does need some extra work to get it to do totals correctly again, as you've noted.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 165
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I've done the Dual Routes thing myself, though never to officially end the game. My favorite effort was E6L4 from the Wolf3D Community MapPack. In it, you pushed one of two different Pushwalls to make your way to the elevator, and either wall blocked your way to the alternate route. Every once and a while, the opposite side of the map you can't get to is visible, and later on, there's a mutant attack from both sides. Lastly, a Pushwall unveils a hidden locked door, and it leads to the areas you had blocked off earlier.

My WIP mod uses a "two-ways-to-exit" approach as well in one map, only I vowed to make the design more professional this time around. It's called "Two-way Street". There's a large structure and a wall marked with a wreath. It's pushed north to get one key, and east to get the other. But you can't get both keys, no matter which direction the wall is pushed. These keys both open doors that eventually lead to an elevator, and the two routes have very different groups of sequences. I'm specifically designing it so it looks until the very end that you'll never be able to open that remaining locked door - and then I have a surprise at the last minute, which at the same time introduces the player to one of WolfDX's new gameplay elements.

Okay - that's enough of me giving spoilers. Smile
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Feature Fanatics View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: