DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Best ways to get original sounds is with your own voice.
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Audio Adventures View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Fragstein3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:11 am
   Subject: Best ways to get original sounds is with your own voice.
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Is to use your own vocals, there are also plenty of audio mixing and editing tools available, things that can raise or lower the pitch of distort the sound,

i can make plenty of varied sound effects, i often made sounds with my own voice years ago for fun.

When i get the time, i will upload some examples.

but some general tips.

practice practice! make odd sounds with your voice and tense and relax your vocal cords to distort the pitch of your voice as it sounds, and practice mimmicking sounds you think are cool, it might sound ridiculous but trust me it works,
just make sure you do it while you are alone, it's also very fun.

when you get software for modifying sound files, you can play around with different effects, if you make a sound of say a classic nazi alarm the Arooooga rrg
but it doesn't quite sound authentic playing with pitch and softening out the pauses if the sound is supposed to be seamless, can make it sound allot more convincing.

you can also use everyday objects to make cool sound effects, water can make your own splash effects, and hitting a steak against a bench makes that comical *BIFF* sound you hear in generic movies where theres allot of beating up.
because in the real world a punch sounds like a nasty Whomping thud, not a BISH! sound

gun sounds are also easy to do and might be a good starting point.
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:13 pm
   Subject: Best ways to get original sounds is with your own voice.
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I enjoy voice acting, and I used my own voice for the guards throughout "Coming of the Storm."

But in general, if you want to have guards who sound German, then it's better to have someone who's a native speaker of the language to do the voice. Either that, or go the whole RtCW/Wolfenstein(2009) route and speak in a fake German accent. I once made the mistake of recording myself speaking German without any coaching on the pronunciation whatsoever, and the results were awful (as anyone who's played my old "Project Eisenritter" mod will tell you.)

But I guess it's not important if you don't mind it sounding like a bad imitation. Smile
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:22 pm
   Subject: Re: Best ways to get original sounds is with your own voice.

I did do a handful of voice acting myself for a number of mods, but I don't seem to do foreign accents very well. I specialize in impersonating several dead voice actors, though. This'll be good for an American-based mod I'm setting in the future, which will - as I said before - use AlumiuN's version of Wolf4SDL's sound code.
Fragstein3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:42 am

Good on ya lads! do note i am not just talking about voice acting i am also talking about sound effects, you will be surrpised what you can do with vocal noises and sound editing software, oh yeah your characters don't allways have to be Nazi's

You guys think you sound BAD! lol who do you think did the voice acting for the original Wolf3D enemies, i doubt they were really germans, just listen to Greta Grosse, she sounds like a man imitating a woman.

PS: Tricob i was wondering, was your name derived from Tricobalt as in that subspace detonation charge that you see in Star Trek Voyager?
vermil
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:06 am

Apparently Grettel Grosse was a man imitating a woman; Tom Hall specifically. Apparently the sounds were only meant as "beta" but they fogot to replace them for the final release.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:20 pm

Fragstein3D wrote:
You guys think you sound BAD! lol who do you think did the voice acting for the original Wolf3D enemies, i doubt they were really germans, just listen to Greta Grosse, she sounds like a man imitating a woman.
It helps to have dialect coaches; you'll rarely find good, solid accents in a game unless you find a dialect coach in the game credits. Smile

OT -

Quote:
PS: Tricob i was wondering, was your name derived from Tricobalt as in that subspace detonation charge that you see in Star Trek Voyager?
A fascinating theory, but not 100% accurate. Too Cool
Fragstein3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:25 am

Well it was pretty obvious that Grettel was voiced by a man, when i was 10 i knew it.
and often made fun of it, any sex appeal Greta might have had was probably killed due to her testosteroned voice.
*bart turns around with a fine hair moustache* Kiss-a me! or a crush you!

does anybody know any freeware sound mixers or editing software, i knew one i had long ago, but i forgot the name.

ah so that's the origin of your name, eh, soso, oh your a coder? hmm could you talk to me about the fundamental basics of coding in layman terms sometime?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:40 pm

Fragstein3D wrote:
does anybody know any freeware sound mixers or editing software, i knew one i had long ago, but i forgot the name.
Goldwave works just fine for me. Smile But it'll stop working after six months if you don't register. Sad

OT -

Quote:
ah so that's the origin of your name, eh, soso, oh your a coder? hmm could you talk to me about the fundamental basics of coding in layman terms sometime?
I could tell you bits and pieces of it, but really there's no substitute for actual programming experience. But it might help you to know: A machine never actually thinks for you. It'll do exactly what you tell it to, whether or not that's what you really had in mind. Smile
Fragstein3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

of course you need real programming experience, but it helps if someone who understands it all can talk about it in simplified terms and analogies,
it helps you understand the basics and how to understand the complex.
kind of like how i understand Biology and metabolism, and cellular functions which all weave a complex system for organic life.

and thanks for the link.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Audio Adventures View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: