DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

SOD2: Spear Resurrection
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> U-Rate-It View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Please Rate It
Fantastic
68%
 68%  [ 42 ]
Above Average
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Average
9%
 9%  [ 6 ]
Below Average
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Poor
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 14
Total Votes : 61

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:36 pm
   Subject: Re: SOD2: Spear Resurrection
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Loki wrote:
WOLFENSTEIN 3D : THE ORIGINAL GAME IS FIRST ON THE CHARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SPEAR RESURECTION IS SECOND WITH 80 "NOT" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS THE END OF THE AREYEP & MCS SUPREMACY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's the big deal... you guys voted that way... I was trying to figure out why there were others that were beating the original games from the start... I thought that since we couldn't have SoD2 without Wolf3d and SoD... but... that's how people see things. Anyhow.. back to topic...

When I beta'd SoD2... there were things that I didn't like... like the mines... Areyep lightened them (didn't look lightened here lol..) but I soon learned where they were and how to deal with things.

I think the reason most people have a problem with SoD2 is that it is a little more thinking style game. There are sections where you can go hog wild with a chaingun... But there are times, when it pays to think about what you want to do, and develope a strategy. That is something that I think the original games lacked to a degree... But I honestly still love playing SoD2... and wish that more people had taken advantage of the engine (re design kit from the Areyep site) and made new scenarios... ie like Act's Map set... Spear Resurrection ranks up there with the big ones... It was the dedication to the fine points.... to the graphics... to developing a strategy base... that's what made this game for me...

Greg
BrotherTank
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:46 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Loki wrote:
Loki, alone against everybody.

lol. You're not alone, I posted the same thing about 12 hours ago in Latest News:

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=872&start=20

Maybe these last three posts should be moved over there? After all, the only positive thing you had to say was about Wolfenstein 3d anyways Loki; not Spear: Resurrection... which was still great to hear. Wink

P.S. I noticed that you added ack's "The Anticipation" to the charts Loki. I'm guessing you posted it there for a reason. What are your thoughts about it, did you like it more or less than the original levels for Spear: Resurrection?
Loki
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3
france.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:27 pm

Generally, i like the Ack's work but my bad feeling with Spear resurection is too important for liked this add-on. I added this mod on the charts for Ack. People can vote and he can see if his work is apreciated or not. For me it's important.

One thing about Spear resurection : the level 18 part 2 is perfect. The atmosphere, the graphics, the enemys, the Hitler's ghost are simply fabulous. In this mod, it's the only realy good moment for me.

Areyep and MCS : for this level (and for this level only !) congratulations ! Cool

wolfenstein 3d is first on the charts again...

Last edited by Loki on Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:51 pm

I personally thought it was great. Not the best I've ever seen (of course, it's definitely better than what I'm able to produce at this point), but it's great. No point comparing it to anything else - I based it on its own merits. I really enjoyed it.
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:29 am

When I first sat down to play SoD2, I was already good friends with AreyeP and MCS and had been for almost a year at that point. Steve was a pixelmaster without comparisent and a good level designer, and I knew MCS was a coding mastermind just from the long chats we had and the emails we wrote, as well as his Wolfenstein Collection game. Still, I wanted to approach this game unbiased and not judge it as being "awesome" just because they were my mates (Ok, the Aussie thing did rub off a bit...lol). If it sucked, I was gonna tell them I thought it sucked and that they could do better. The game I was comparing it against was Totengraeber, the definitive never-been-beat-yet game that every TC maker wanted to best. I wanted to give this game an honest, fresh look and not feel obligated to like it or anything like that. So I loaded it up and waited, then I played the first level...And I was perpetually glued to my screen with my draw dropped for an entire weekend, unshaven, unwashed, playing till I finished the game.

There's Totengraeber, and there's Spear Resurrection...And I can't decide which one I like the most.

They're both in the same league. SOD2 is a landmark and hasn't been beaten yet by anything I've played recently. The game genuinely feels like a new Wolf3D game. If you'd handed me a copy of SOD2 in 1993, I would have thought ID had released another Wolfenstein game and been none the wiser... It's that good in my opinion.

I've seen a lot of games try to copy SOD2's look and style, but they can't quite grasp hold of it yet. The storyline is pretty much the original Spear's, but it's like a second chapter that takes the whole SoD mythos and pushes it further. Not a lot, but enough.

You can really tell that AreyeP and MCS are BIG Wolf3D and gaming fans, as there's so much love and care taken in the design of this game. It's almost like a big love-letter to ID Software and gaming in general.

Indeed, there are moments like Greg said that you have to plot your strategy a little more than the original Wolfenstein / Spear games, but I like that. You can't just run blindly through the first level, for example, without getting the crap blown out of you. SOD2 is one of those few Wolf3D games that really immerses you in the gameplay and makes you feel like you're there...Which is a challenge considering the ancient technology. You feel paranoid when you're messing around in a minefield, you have to carefully examine the berries and determine wether or not you should eat them, you have to be careful to not step on that oh-so-close death-artifact, AND you have to make your choices quickly while being shot at otherwise you're toast anyway.

Spear Resurrection was such a breath of fresh air when it was released back then. It was the first game I played since Totengraeber that made my adrenaline pump. And believe me, I'm very finnicky when it comes to games I like and play often. Spear Resurrection, however, did everything right for me.

And now I look forward to End Of Destiny in high anticipation. If AreyeP and MCS can beat their own monster Spear Resurrection with this game, then they'll surely knock Totengraeber out of my #1 spot for the first time in 4 years. As it stands now, they're tied equally sharing the #1 slot as it tears me up to put one above or below the other. The boys set a new standard with this game and created something that will be referenced and copied for years to come.

No, Loki, I'm afraid the AreyeP and MCS supremacy is going to dominate for quite some time...

-Ian
Hellblazer
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 8
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

best TC i have ever played, i just love spear ressurection and im playing it over and over...
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> U-Rate-It View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: