DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Half Life by David O' Rafferty
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> U-Rate-It View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Half Life by David O 'Rafferty
Fantastic
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Above Average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Average
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Below Average
51%
 51%  [ 15 ]
Poor
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Voted : 17
Total Votes : 29

Schabbs
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:14 am
   Subject: Half Life by David O' Rafferty
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

There have been many new addons during the last few months. This is the first in a series of polls on recent addons to hopefully get some feedback on some of them.

DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:02 am
   Subject: Re: Half Life by David O' Rafferty
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hey, great idea! I always thought this section was quite under-used... We need more projects being put here for discussion! Not that I have actually played this game yet; it didn't really grab me, as I seem to remember it had a quite cartoonish graphics style that isn't really my thing...

... But now I will go and download it!

(Also, thanks for pointing out that MapEdit 8.3 patch, Mr. Lowe, it works fine now! Forgot to mention it earlier. Mr Green )

DieHard SS

uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:24 pm

Okay, I finished it, it took me 22 minutes... I voted 'average'. There were quite a lot of good things about it; for example the fact that he'd replaced all the graphics with his own original designs, so kudos to him for that, especially the head crabs that replaced the dog. Although the graphics were pretty 'low tech' I thought they were very effective at building an interesting atmosphere... Somehow they don't look too bad. Also what was good were some of the cool little touches he'd put in; stuff such as those red and white barriers near the "Trane Station" (sic) and the use of sounds to create some really surprising moments, for example the last level. Also, the boss that replaced the death knight was awesome (shame about the rest of the bosses, haha). It was also a cool idea to have those invincible zombies - they were actually pretty scary; knock them down and they get right back up again! There was one maze section where I thought they were especially effective.
Bad points? Well, this is a quite major one - the levels! The first map was very good. The second one was, too. From then on it gradually deteriorated. BAD, BAD, BAD! About 5 of the levels consisted of one pathway (with NO offshoots at all), which you just walked down shooting the enemies. Lasting about 20 seconds each. WHAT? That's just pointless filler. They didn't need to be there! In fact, there were about 5 good levels in the entire game. It's a shame, as I thought this had the potential to be a very good and interesting mod. So... I went for average.

That's my review! Now have cheese.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 33
uk.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 2:31 pm

Yes, I voted average too. I found some of the effects pretty good but, as you say, some of the levels could have been done better. Many were quite detailed but not that complex or extensive.

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:35 pm

U'm, hello! Somebody made a Wolfenstein 3d TC of Half Life?? What a waste of time! Why don't you just create a beautiful looking Half Life map, with Warcraft3 editor, and release that on the net? You know there are many opportunities for great Half Life level designers...

Rolling Eyes

DieHard SS

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:34 pm

Haha! Seriously, the only thing related to the original game "Half Life" is the name. Totally different style of game. It's pretty interesting! I'll admit, if he'd taken all half life textures and models and just tried to recreate the original with them... It would have been awful. But this is actually a cartoony Wolfenstein 3d mod, which just happens to have the same name as a famous commercial shoot 'em up...

Bring 'em On

australia.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:47 pm

Embarassed

really? That shows how much I know about this TC. I'll have to try it out sometime...

That's quite bizzare though. Using the same name as one of the greatest first person games, and not having anything at all to do with it... oh well, there must be a reason for that name, I suppose?

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:22 am

I think your opinion was uncalled for in the first place Reivax44. You started critisizing Brothertank for saying things like that about Doom addons, which I can understand, but than you say something even worse about people who would do a mod based on Half Life (which wasn't Dave's idea anyways)? I don't really get why you posted your first comment; it's not very fair. Why are you contradicting yourself?

There's nothing wrong with calling your addon 'Half Life'. I'm sure David has his reasons; and it's possible that it came from the game, but who really cares? Why continue ranting about how bizarre it is? If anything, that mask is what makes the game cool and surprising. Everyone hears words/phrases and gets inspired by them, how else do you expect us to come up with titles (besides making up your own words)? It's better than all those unoriginal Project / Operation [insert german name] titles.

I always wanted to play this set (after hearing that David was taking part in the Melee contest), and I'm sure that I'd find it as interesting as Hair Machine did. Unforunately for this thread, I'm still playing through other addons at the moment. Simon's interesting comments gave me a good idea of what to expect though. Smile
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

uk.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:22 am

Okay, well maybe I exaggerated how little the mod has to do with Half Life. It has stuff like the marines, scientists, and the other enemies from the original game... BUT it is done in a COMPLETELY different style, and is in no way trying to ape the newer game. Call it a new take on the original Half Life theme, made to suit the Wolfenstein engine. Mr Green

So now go and play it! Chris, it will take you about 10 minutes. It took me 22 and I'm definitely nowhere NEAR as speedy as you are (I hardly ever even use the run key...) Then you can see the undiluted wierdness! I'm actually sure you'll appreciate all the quirky stuff... Okay, so maybe it's not quite as awe-inspiringly bizarre as Chokage (and nothing ever will be), but still...!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:58 pm

I was checked that game and I think that David have a hard work making graphics, but, in my opinion, this type of add-on don't sounds like Wolfenstein Rolling Eyes .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:00 am

Thanks for saying wats good and wats not. I made this TC based on Half life becouse it was an amazing game. At the begining of Half Life (the origanal) you walk in to a living world so i tride to do the same. And makeing a TC of half life is the same as makeing a TC of Doom (for the 100th time).

>;]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:30 am

Douse eny 1 remember my TC Metal Gear Solid part 1 and 2 i still feal sick for makeing that. After i made the grafix i tride to make it a stalf game but wolf 3d and stalf dont mix so i had to make it a shoot em up. As i'm tipeing this i notest iv never made a origanal TC wow i suck Embarassed

>;]
Reivax44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:40 am

@ Chris...
Quote:
I think your opinion was uncalled for in the first place Reivax44.

Laughing Really? Well I am so sorry... would you like to give me a list of suitable replies that I can make about TC's like this one? Anyway, why so defensive? All I said was that I thought it quite bizarre for a Wolfenstein 3d game to be called Half Life and have nothing in common with it.

Quote:
It's better than all those unoriginal Project / Operation [insert german name] titles.

Now who's expressing their 'uncalled for' opinion?

Just chill, man!

@ David... From the looks of things you probably had the idea that I didn't really like your TC. I don't like it. But neither do I dislike it as I am yet to play it.

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:41 am

Haha... you're the biggest hypocrite in the universe Reivax44. Was your last message just created to start a flame? Anyone can point out how invalid your latest argument is by just looking at your first message; it's clear as day.

On February 27th, Reivax44 wrote:
Great! Who really cares? What is wrong editing Doom, introducing new textures, images etc., to make it look like Wolfenstein 3d? I don't know why he has chosen to do so, and neither do you, so just stop harping on so...

On March 2nd, Reivax44 wrote:
U'm, hello! Somebody made a Wolfenstein 3d TC of Half Life?? What a waste of time! Why don't you just create a beautiful looking Half Life map, with Warcraft3 editor, and release that on the net?

My respect for Reivax44... -5.
My respect for David and Simon... +5.

Let the game continue. Smile
Reivax44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:12 pm

@ Chris... You're pretty funny aren't you? Laughing I mean really, if you want to start looking into my messages for deeper meanings that are not there, be my guest!

Quote:
Haha... you're the biggest hypocrite in the universe Reivax44.

I'm a hypocrite because I said something which I later regretted because of lack of information at that time. That is all.

Just relax, ok. Cool

DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:07 am
   Subject: We can get through this honey, I have faith...

Hey, whatever you say... genious. Just because YOU don't see something doesn't mean it's not there. I don't know whether to feel more sorry for you or the people who come in contact with you. Don't you realize what kind of affect hiding from your problems and carelessness can do to yourself?

This is the sadest moment of the forums existance. I really want to play a depressing song here; you know the kind... those ones that really, really make you want to cry. We have lost a person here today, folks - we should have tried to help him out, but it seems that it's too late now. There is nothing we can do for Reivax44; his morals and reasoning are lost beyond repair.

I want to help you Reivax44, but you're going to have to listen closely. We're going to have to go through massive psychological treatment to find out where your brain went wrong, and if there is any way to make you more aware of your surroundings again. You have to be willing to make an effort though, to realize things on your own. Please, do it because it feels right, and because people are counting on you to make some conscious decisions here.

We might be able to bring you back, but it's tough to say at this point. Your brain has evolved into a constant state of confused dishonesty, as it seems that you're so used to bending the truth that you have lost all contact with what is real for yourself. You need to focus on that first, and everything else will eventually come natural. If you don't act now; you will be so set in your ways that you will never be able to regain any sense of reality.

Please, don't let your brain rott out into locked fiction; the doors to a better world won't stay open forever. If you can realize this problem's existance, and that others are being affected by your lack of travels back to this dimension, maybe there is hope for you yet; but you may be too deep into this fault of mind to even want to come back and help yourself. For what it's worth, I really wish you the best of luck with coping from this detramental addiction. *starts playing more sad, tear-inducing music* Sad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:27 am

Hey David, I've tell about your game, but I don't have anything against you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:09 pm
   Subject: Re: We can get through this honey, I have faith...

Chris wrote:
Hey, whatever you say... genious. Just because YOU don't see something doesn't mean it's not there. I don't know whether to feel more sorry for you or the people who come in contact with you. Don't you realize what kind of affect hiding from your problems and carelessness can do to yourself?

This is the sadest moment of the forums existance. I really want to play a depressing song here; you know the kind... those ones that really, really make you want to cry. We have lost a person here today, folks - we should have tried to help him out, but it seems that it's too late now. There is nothing we can do for Reivax44; his morals and reasoning are lost beyond repair.

I want to help you Reivax44, but you're going to have to listen closely. We're going to have to go through massive psychological treatment to find out where your brain went wrong, and if there is any way to make you more aware of your surroundings again. You have to be willing to make an effort though, to realize things on your own. Please, do it because it feels right, and because people are counting on you to make some conscious decisions here.

We might be able to bring you back, but it's tough to say at this point. Your brain has evolved into a constant state of confused dishonesty, as it seems that you're so used to bending the truth that you have lost all contact with what is real for yourself. You need to focus on that first, and everything else will eventually come natural. If you don't act now; you will be so set in your ways that you will never be able to regain any sense of reality.

Please, don't let your brain rott out into locked fiction; the doors to a better world won't stay open forever. If you can realize this problem's existance, and that others are being affected by your lack of travels back to this dimension, maybe there is hope for you yet; but you may be too deep into this fault of mind to even want to come back and help yourself. For what it's worth, I really wish you the best of luck with coping from this detramental addiction. *starts playing more sad, tear-inducing music* Sad

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Quote of the month...I love it...You've managed to express yourself the way I love it. Keep it up! Cool
Reivax44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

australia.gif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:30 pm

Quote:

Please, don't let your brain rott out into locked fiction; the doors to a better world won't stay open forever. If you can realize this problem's existance, and that others are being affected by your lack of travels back to this dimension, maybe there is hope for you yet; but you may be too deep into this fault of mind to even want to come back and help yourself. For what it's worth, I really wish you the best of luck with coping from this detramental addiction. *starts playing more sad, tear-inducing music*

Laughing Really man, you are quite a laugh! You don't know the first thing about me, nothing at all, and yet you said I need 'psychological treatment ' because of what I have posted in this thread.

Look man, I'll do you a favour, ok. I'll quote EVERYTHING I've said in this thread just to make it easier for you to find Razz Then after having read all my previous posts in this thread you just might understand what on earth you are talking about - because I sure as hell don't.

Here we go... (are you still with me? good, then read on).

-Mar 2.
Quote:
U'm, hello! Somebody made a Wolfenstein 3d TC of Half Life?? What a waste of time! Why don't you just create a beautiful looking Half Life map, with Warcraft3 editor, and release that on the net? You know there are many opportunities for great Half Life level designers...

-Mar 3.
Quote:
really? That shows how much I know about this TC. I'll have to try it out sometime...

That's quite bizzare though. Using the same name as one of the greatest first person games, and not having anything at all to do with it... oh well, there must be a reason for that name, I suppose?

The rest of my posting is in reference to your remarks...
Chris said
Quote:
I think your opinion was uncalled for in the first place Reivax44. You started critisizing Brothertank for saying things like that about Doom addons, which I can understand, but than you say something even worse about people who would do a mod based on Half Life (which wasn't Dave's idea anyways)? I don't really get why you posted your first comment; it's not very fair. Why are you contradicting yourself?

There's nothing wrong with calling your addon 'Half Life'. I'm sure David has his reasons; and it's possible that it came from the game, but who really cares? Why continue ranting about how bizarre it is? If anything, that mask is what makes the game cool and surprising. Everyone hears words/phrases and gets inspired by them, how else do you expect us to come up with titles (besides making up your own words)? It's better than all those unoriginal Project / Operation [insert german name] titles.

I always wanted to play this set (after hearing that David was taking part in the Melee contest), and I'm sure that I'd find it as interesting as Hair Machine did. Unforunately for this thread, I'm still playing through other addons at the moment. Simon's interesting comments gave me a good idea of what to expect though.

I replied
Quote:
@ Chris...
Quote:
I think your opinion was uncalled for in the first place Reivax44.

Really? Well I am so sorry... would you like to give me a list of suitable replies that I can make about TC's like this one? Anyway, why so defensive? All I said was that I thought it quite bizarre for a Wolfenstein 3d game to be called Half Life and have nothing in common with it.

Quote:
It's better than all those unoriginal Project / Operation [insert german name] titles.

Now who's expressing their 'uncalled for' opinion?

Just chill, man!

Then Chris said
Quote:
Haha... you're the biggest hypocrite in the universe Reivax44. Was your last message just created to start a flame? Anyone can point out how invalid your latest argument is by just looking at your first message; it's clear as day.

On February 27th, Reivax44 wrote:
Great! Who really cares? What is wrong editing Doom, introducing new textures, images etc., to make it look like Wolfenstein 3d? I don't know why he has chosen to do so, and neither do you, so just stop harping on so...

On March 2nd, Reivax44 wrote:
U'm, hello! Somebody made a Wolfenstein 3d TC of Half Life?? What a waste of time! Why don't you just create a beautiful looking Half Life map, with Warcraft3 editor, and release that on the net?

My respect for Reivax44... -5.
My respect for David and Simon... +5.

Let the game continue.

Lastly I replied
Quote:
@ Chris... You're pretty funny aren't you? I mean really, if you want to start looking into my messages for deeper meanings that are not there, be my guest!

Quote:
Haha... you're the biggest hypocrite in the universe Reivax44.

I'm a hypocrite because I said something which I later regretted because of lack of information at that time. That is all.

Just relax, ok.

I'm sorry Chris, but if want to keep on arguing about this with me, you'll have to contact my lawyers... I don't have the time Smile

Arrow to Plane Cool
[/b]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 12:55 am

No worries Nemesis but what do you mean it's no wolfenstin?

>;]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:03 pm

I was trying to say that your game have a style very different of the original Wolfenstein. But that is your style, so go ahead.
asscrak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:40 am

whys everyone arguing???!!!

i thort this was about halflife! I thought it was a good TC! And i to think that those zombie guys are cool! Cool So I dont see why your arguing about being hypokritz! Confused
MJR
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

finland.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:08 am

I voted "Below Average". A little bit darker graphics and I wold have voted "Average". Outside and door graphics just aren't dark enough. And the name should be Half-Life: Opposing Force.
Dr. Chainsaw
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:49 am

I would say it's a pretty average game.
Fragstein3D
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:00 am

I Once made a half life mod, never released it, but since i never actually knew what Half Life was really about at the time, i never made more than one level.
i just remember having static objects being scientists standing around in front of computer screens and stuff, and there was this containment chamber with glass sprite panels that were not fixed in place (and hence looked unconvincing) and had headcrabs? or some sort of Xen monster behind it, of course, would have been cool if someone could actually make a portion of the game that more or less recreates the experience of fighting the tentacle in the rocket test chamber, but meh, it's a developmental nightmare for most people who don't know how to program a game.

and theres a difference between source coding and engine coding, the commands you enter in Source code only work because the engine iD made is programmed to recognise the commands and turn them into functions in game.
like how an enemy acts
and what weapon does what.
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 163

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:07 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

This was pretty weak IMO...not quite "poor", but certainly below average. I never was a big fan of thsi author's levels (including his Melee contributions). And it certainly doesn't remind me of Half Life.

DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> U-Rate-It View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: