DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Rate the Game
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> AReyeP & MCS Games Support View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

Rate the Overall Game
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
50%
 50%  [ 30 ]
Voted : 59
Total Votes : 59

Loki
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3
france.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:36 am
   Subject: Re: Rate the Game
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

It's perfect like this ! Smile To make small variations always enriches a music.

PS: You have received my MP ?
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

Topics: 80
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:41 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Still playing the game...still loving it...I did get a kick out of a few things I came across, though, like some places where there is one of those wall mounted fire blasters aimed at a door you can open. I bet those Nazis were cursing that dang architect who came up with that as they came rushing out the doors, only to have me standing there with an evil grin with my hand hovering above the switch like something out of a Looney Toons cartoon. I am constantly amazed at some of the clever uses of the switches though...the blocks that move on their own when you flip the lever probably impressed me the most. Take this as a compliment, but I would never mod this engine...there would be too much potential to it that I probably would not use fully. I enjoy a slight puzzle element to my mods, but if I tried to mod the degree of puzzles in this game, I'd have a severe headache. Great job again, guys...Very Happy

Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:02 am

I have not yet played End of Destiny (as yet... this dial up is so slow!) but I have already given it a 10/10. Stupid you say! No, just understanding of the hard work, time, courage and dedication that AReyeP, MCS, and their respective beta testers must have to complete such a game. Their precision and accuracy with perfecting even the most tiny details has left me full of praise and support for such a wonderful team effort.

Congratulations! You deserve more than this but, what more can I say then that?

Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 14
blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:13 am

If this thing were an amp, it would have an 11.
IanFranken
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 27
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:45 am

The Master wrote:
If this thing were an amp, it would have an 11.

...And we'd rock out to "Big Bottom" and "Stonehenge" Cool

-Ian

Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:08 pm

Er...I appreciate the enthusiasm it takes to rate a game so highly without having played it, but don't you think that's taking it a little too far? Granted, there have been a lot of positive reviews, but many of them also mention a thing or two they don't like. If I were AReyeP and MCS, I'd prefer to hear the nitty gritty along with the high praise so they know players are being truly critical of the project, and then any positive review will be validated by the fact that the player didn't approach the game expecting to love it. I'm not saying the review of high praise is untrue...it's a great game...but you really ought to play it whenever you can prior to voting on it.

Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 2

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:13 pm

100/10
wolfie3dfan
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:05 pm

As I was playing the game it occurred to me that if I needed to live in a castle, dungeon, celler, sewer etc., I would absolutely hire AReyeP to do the interior decorating. His floor tile choices were just terrific and made me feel so comfortable in a place where terror may lurk around any corner or secret area. Sometimes I just wanted to pull up to one of his tables and have a drink of wine and just listen to the radio. Unbelievable graphics and atmosphere. It didn't even feel like I was playing a FPS game most of the time. It felt like I was IN a FPS game. Thank you so much.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:51 am

Yeah...I get that feeling from time to time of being in an environment where I can see the enemies actually wanting to hang around there and pull guard duty for endless hours since they had no reason to suspect BJ was going to come and mess things up. The fireplaces are a nice touch also in a lot of areas. I almost went into shock when I played some EOD, then took a break and showed my brother the Wolf Alpha version. I was like, "What the...someone stole all the static sprites!!" It was incredible what a difference there is between the number of decorations and stuff in the first episodes of the original Wolfenstein and most of the mods that have come out since. Of course, I know there were sprite limits back then that have been altered for a lot of newer mods, so that helps...great atmosphere, guys...that first level really made me want to get indoors quickly...the fact that it was freezing in my apartment might have helped contribute to the sensation...Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 2:19 pm

10. Too Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:21 pm

I gave it a 10. In fact, I have Dos Box open right now playing it (it is hell a laggy but this is the only way but I still love it.) Just a sec...
<goes an plays a little more>
<gets back with bullets in head from damn S.S. guard>
I need to get more ammo...anyway, this is the best mod I've played so far...just a sec...
<goes back to kick nazi butt>
<comes back slightly hot>
I like the feature of turning the fireball walls or whatever on and off. That s.s. never had a chance Cheesy Grin . Just a sec...
<goes to kick more butt>
<gets back in a body bag>

Evil or Very Mad DAMN THAT GREEN GUARD WHO SNUCK UP ON ME! I could do without the *slow* fancy weapon changing.
<goes back to get revenge>
<comes back with a german helmet in hands>
Twisted Evil I got him...he..he...I got him! I got him!!!!!

Anyway, the ultimate mod! 10/10!
ZuljinRaynor
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 19
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:37 pm

Too bad I can't change to 8/10 now Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:22 am

I hate to seem negative, but I've got several beefs about the gameplay itself - don't worry, I also have plenty of positive feedback.

________

Here's the positives first as to not scare you away Wink:

Level design is really awesome and makes the areas you visit seem quite believable - this is due to clever placement of new textures. The outdoor areas in particular look really nice and seem remarkably realistic.
The addition of switch pulling to open certain "secrets" and activate/deactivate traps is an awesome thing - this was one of the things that made a game like Doom seem superior to Wolfenstein 3d imo, so it's great to see this used in a Wolf3d mod. Particularly the clever use of those flamethrower traps makes for some really interesting "puzzles" and gameplay situations as well as adding replayability.

General good use of cool new effects: it's sweet when you blow things up and they leave a small bonfire behind and the snowfall in the outdoor areas really add atmosphere.

Cool new enemy: the turrets are certainly a nice new variation to the usual enemies that move about and shoot.

The game is a nice challenge for those who're true veterans, while the easiest skill setting is accessible to those who haven't played Wolf3d for a very long time.

What I truly loved about this mod was the addition of new weapons - the rocket launcher was probably so-so, but a nice addition nonetheless, but I absolutely loved the Stealth Rifle. I only wish there had been less "regular ammo" so that I'd be more encouraged to use that rifle because it kicks ass.

Improved over Spear Resurrection is that the storyline is slightly more involved in the game - namely the situatuon where you're sent down to face Herr Thugg - cool idea. Also, the mines are easier to spot this time around, making these a lot less frustrating.

And now for the negatives - sadly, there are quite a few things that bug me in this mod (some of these things also bothered me in Spear Resurrection, but I haven't found an "up-to-date" thread for SR feedback, so I'll include this here) :

Mines: I quite honestly fail to see the gameplay value in these. Sure, they require you to be all the more cautious, but it makes the gameplay much more frustrating for a guy like me who just wants to kill stuff and in that case, hidden traps are the last thing I want to experience.

Suicide clones: These guys just piss me off, like every other suicide enemy in any kind of FPS - they're particularly bothersome in a Wolfenstein 3d mod, because of the narrow corridors. They're not fun, they're just annoying and boring to shoot.

Those odd triple-/quadro-barrelled machineguns: It's cool that they're in, what's not so cool is that there are two almost identical guns in there (which, honestly, is seriously lame). What's even worse is that one of them replaces my favorite Wolf3d weapon, the chaingun. The chaingun should have remained in there, and then the four-barrelled autocannon could've stayed - would have seemed more varied.

Usage of varied ammo: Ok, having different ammo types is really cool, but I think they could have been exploited better. As it is now, the pistol and machinegun share the yellow ammo whereas the big machineguns share the blue ammo. What would've been better would have been that the pistol and three-barrelled machinegun both used yellow ammo, whereas the (one-barrlled)machinegun and four-barrelled machinegun shared the blue ammo. This would have meant that yu would still use the pistol after you've got the machinegun, and you would still be using the three-barrelled machinegun after you got the four-barrelled.

Ingame storyline: Not as much an issue in EoD as it was in SR, but still. Almost every time I reach a level with a boss, I can expect a text screen that just says: "This level is guarded by [insert big bad mofo here]!" - thanks for telling me. For a mod with such a well-written backstory, this just seems lazy. Fortunately, they did think up some minor plot directions in both SR and EoD so it's not all hopeless.

Confusing levels: Not as bad in EoD, but there were some levels where I was close to putting my fist through the screen because I couldn't find the damn key. A challenge is always cool, but it should be in the shape of traps with enemies suddenly surprising you or something else that could kill you if you're not on your toes. But running about in a confusing maze for +20 minutes with no more enemies to mow down, just seems like a waste of time.

I'll give it a 6/10, but I also want to tell the authors that they sure put a lot of effort into making this thing and they did incredibly well in several areas. I would've loved to give it a considerably higher score, but things annoy me, and I want to counteract these. I can't expect things to get better if I don't point out the beefs.
Blade Nightflame
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 1

slovenia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:45 am

End of Destiny..... Darn, it was like THE best mod I have played. The end even got me happy, always when I killed all guards, and searched for the keys.. Some popped up to make me happy, and killed them. Laughing

The levels never got me bored, (and I never had a problem in Level 11, except random crashing, but that just appeared once.) the challange level was REALLY hard, I have to admit, a lot of Super Clones and Ultra Clones wasn't a GOOD thing to face, when you only have a Rocket Launcher, a knife and a pistol!

Pure 10.

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:32 pm

Was the wait worth it? Yes, definitely! Very Happy

But I only gave it a "9" because of these reasons -

- As was said by another user, the pause between weapon changing is very annoying and troublesome for me. If your machine doesn't run the game extremely smoothly, you're likely to be sitting around waiting for your new weapon to come up while the enemy is blasting away at you. When you run out of ammo, it will happen quite a lot.

- The game doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly on slower machines as the original did, even if you disable Shading and Textures. I know part of the reason is that the code is scanning the same portions of the map continuously throughout the game, rather than reading them at the start of the level and storing them in variables.
Majik Monkee
Pixel Master
Pixel Master

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:30 am

Tricob wrote:

- The game doesn't run anywhere near as smoothly on slower machines as the original did, even if you disable Shading and Textures. I know part of the reason is that the code is scanning the same portions of the map continuously throughout the game, rather than reading them at the start of the level and storing them in variables.

Wow...how can you tell that? I just assumed my machine sucked. Of course, I have no coding knowledge or anything of the sort, so there's no way I would have known that anyway.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:48 pm

Majik Monkee wrote:
Wow...how can you tell that?

Well, that part of the coding is mentioned in these forums. Smile

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=2717
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:48 pm

Umm, referencing tilemap[1][0] is virtually the same as referencing another variable. The time it takes to read a memory location is minimal.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:41 pm

I think another reason might be because EoD uses Ripper's "removing the scalers" tutorial. If I run wolf3d through DosBox, for instance, I can get 2x-3x faster without using it (moving becomes alot smoother). In normal Windows XP, it makes the speed drop below 70 fps alot more, especially when I'm closer to walls (down to around 50 fps, and this is on a P4/2.66ghz); though the difference isn't noticable to me in the regular Windows environment unless I watch Darkone's fps counter.

Even when I don't move, there are differences though (the stats in brackets are at screensize 13, the rest at 19).

Running in DosBox 0.62 (windowed) at 10000 cycles

Room 1 - Large

__ 83.exe - 40 fps (55 fps)
20793.exe - 33 fps (43 fps)
22612.exe - 15 fps (22 fps)

Room 2 - Small

__ 83.exe - 68 fps (70 fps)
20793.exe - 50 fps (64 fps)
22612.exe - 14 fps (24 fps)

Running in Windows XP with VDMSound (P4/2.66Ghz)

Room 1 - Large

__ 83.exe - 70 fps (70 fps)
20793.exe - 70 fps (70 fps)
22612.exe - 70 fps (70 fps)

Room 2 - Small

__ 83.exe - 64 fps (70 fps)
20793.exe - 58 fps (70 fps)
22612.exe - 44 fps (70 fps)

Source files: http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=2798&start=77
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:45 pm

Hmm... maybe this is why I've noticed that in a few of my code experiments the FPS goes down (particularly go4it), but then again I'm probably wrong. Still, this is one tutorial I'm a bit wary of... I'm also getting into the trend of waiting a few months before using a tutorial for purposes other than playing around. Wait, I'm getting pretty off topic here.
[On-topic]
To be honest, with school projects and such, I kinda forgot about EOD (and a few other mods as well), but of what I played I enjoyed it. Level 5 was a particularly fun level, and it felt huge. Still won't rate it til I beat it, though.

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:43 pm

Adam Biser wrote:
Umm, referencing tilemap[1][0] is virtually the same as referencing another variable. The time it takes to read a memory location is minimal.

I was thinking that "tilemap" was a function that was called in the program whenever map data was requested. Now I realize that I must have misread that part of the code. Badly, I might add.

Mouth Shut
dunkelschwamm
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 11
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:08 pm

Erick/Spiritblade wrote:
This is becoming a massive Dissapoint for me. Stupid ass random crashes and f*cked up levels like map 11.

Same thing as you and everything people say will fix it isn't working!

Edit: I'll give it a 9, because perfection is beyond what anybody can possibly imagine.

<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:16 pm

Rocketboy680 wrote:
Erick/Spiritblade wrote:
This is becoming a massive Dissapoint for me. Stupid ass random crashes and f*cked up levels like map 11.

Same thing as you and everything people say will fix it isn't working!

Depends on your OS's setup. I can always avoid "Out Of Memory!" errors by loading my saved game, changing an option (Digitized SFX On/Off, for instance), and then continuing your game (You'd have to repeat the procedure every time you died, though). AFAIK, this fix will work with every computer setup.
insurrectionman
DieHard Mutant
DieHard Mutant

Topics: 86
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:42 pm

This games kicks @$$ I would try to make something like that but I simply dont have that much skill let alone resources to help me. I just need about 60k more to help run the game on lower computers.

-I found about 8 secret levels including 1 or 2 super secret levels, depending if Frosty was one, and 2 challenge levels, but im not done with the game yet, my brother beat it and i thought it was awesome. He saved it near the end but somehow lost the file.

New Site: http://www.treesapthief.com
Twitter: @treesapthief
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:40 pm

insurrectionman wrote:
This games kicks @$$ I would try to make something like that but I simply dont have that much skill let alone resources to help me. I just need about 60k more to help run the game on lower computers.

This link might be a help:

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=2798

Failing that, try "WOLF4GW" in the "Feature Fanatics" section. You'll have all the memory you'll need. Cheesy Grin
Kuki
Can I Play Daddy
Can I Play Daddy

Topics: 6
poland.gif

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:11 pm

Hi all

Just played EOD a bit and it seems good, in my opinion much better than SOD2. Maybe too easy on normal difficulty. And a bit too many not-so-interesting secrets as for me. But there are some nice ideas in the game and it definitely is not boring. So, 8/10 I think.

Kuki
allthisandwolf3d
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 13
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:44 pm

eod is much better than spear resurrection; 10. excellant.
and to whoever put 1, shame on you!!

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 164

blank.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:50 pm

I understand reason for which a small minority may think this game's overrated, but I personally thought it was totally worth the wait and just put in a score of 10. Smile

<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:10 am

I don't consider this one as overrated, it is a really great mod with outstanding map designs. However, I do prefer Spear: Resurrection over this one because IMO mapping-wise it is better.
Hellblazer
Don't Hurt Me
Don't Hurt Me

Topics: 8
netherlands.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:01 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

It gets a 9 from me, everything is awesome except, well, idk. it isnt perfection, but very close.

and yeah i like Spear Ressurection slightly better, i dont know why.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> AReyeP & MCS Games Support View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 2 of 2 Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: