DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

PM inbox
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 109
israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:03 pm
   Subject: PM inbox
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Can someone increase the inbox size? This is so uncomfortable....
I send a PM and can never be sure the other will get it....as his inbox might be full....
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:47 pm
   Subject: PM inbox
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I think when your inbox is full, it just erases the oldest message, so the new ones will still come and go through (that's how it works for me anyway). My inbox is always 100% full and I never delete anything, but my new messages from and to people always go through anyway. I guess, the only time this could be a problem, is if someone has over 30 NEW messages they have never read (give or take depending on how many are in your sentbox/outbox maybe), but it seems to send the notification and message contents to your/their email address also anyway, so I don't see any problem with the current size limit.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:26 pm
   Subject: Re: PM inbox

Ok, I never knew it works this way....at least on this forum. And I think I've experiences it differently.

As I'm adminisrating a few forums on other hosts - I know it doesn't work this way. If your inbox is full - you don't get new messages till older are deleted. Upon deleting - new message arrives. Yes, you get email notification - but if you get more than 1 PM a day - you can miss such.

I don't think host has the right to automatically enter my inbox and delete PM messages, that might be important to me. It's not logical and doesn't work this way on forums (and I have much experience administrating forums)

What's the problem increasing the PM limit? This is one of the lowerst PM limit I've ever seen on any forum.
On "my" forums I put it to 300-400 Smile PMs take virtually no memory anyway.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:16 am

doomjedi wrote:
What's the problem increasing the PM limit? This is one of the lowerst PM limit I've ever seen on any forum.

You're probably right. I remember when the forum first opened (2003?), I was told that the entire database could only be about 10MB - and that we were going over sometimes and MCS was having to pay extra fees. My guess is that a lot has changed in the last 8 years though, as it seems you can get unlimited webspace and 4GB database size for under $15/month these days.

I noticed that Wolf3d Haven is about the same though (50 inbox messages at once)... I guess that is just standard default. Personally, I could care less if my inbox could hold 10 messages or 100 messages (I didn't log into to hotmail for over 6 months, so my account was reset and all my emails since 1998 got erased - but I didn't really mind, I'd rather just write new ones and live in the moment than waste time trying to be a pack-rat; I think. When something is really cool, I can just save it to Notepad file anyway), so if there was a way to send you over some of my own DHW inbox space, I certainly would bro. Smile
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:26 am

doomjedi wrote:
Ok, I never knew it works this way....at least on this forum. And I think I've experiences it differently.

As I'm adminisrating a few forums on other hosts - I know it doesn't work this way. If your inbox is full - you don't get new messages till older are deleted. Upon deleting - new message arrives. Yes, you get email notification - but if you get more than 1 PM a day - you can miss such.

It's always been that way as that is how it is programmed in PhpBB itself. I don't know about other programs (bulletin board software) as we've always used phpBB. It was (I think) the only BBS or Forum program available on Yahoo back when MCS set it up and then offered it to me for the forums. I just used what he had done and learned to first: change the template files and then second: install different options or mods to do things we thought were important, and then lastly: a little php programming.. from playing with the mods and such, learned enough php to be dangerous per say.

doomjedi wrote:
I don't think host has the right to automatically enter my inbox and delete PM messages, that might be important to me. It's not logical and doesn't work this way on forums (and I have much experience administrating forums).

The host has nothing to do with it. It is the settings of the program. If set to allow you 30 messages we'll say, then it holds 30 messages.. The last 30 messages that you have received. If you get 31, then 1 is deleted and everything shifts down 1.

doomjedi wrote:

Back in the beggining it was as Chris stated... due to database size. Our database is a lot larger now. I don't know what package that MCS has or what the limits are. He hasn't told me since he changed it way back when.... And I haven't asked. And while MCS might be lurking, I know that we haven't chatted in some time now. I won't go into details but it has nothing to do with any type of annomousity or anger or dispute. MCS and I were and are friends. Nothings changed that way.

As to raising it, this is the first time that anyone has asked for anything like that. Everyone else knows that if you want to save a post you move it to your saved area and/or save a copy of it on your machine or print it for a hard copy. As to the size of the private messages, that depends on what is sent back and forth. The more you type, quote, etc., increases the size of the Private Message, just like a post. Now multiply that by 200 members and things really start to add up. So they don't take virtually no memory. They work the same as a post.

Anyhow.. As I don't know MCS's site package, and what if any other sites might be hosted here as well, along with the Areyep site itself, I will not make adjustments or assumptions until I know or have been given the authority to use more than we are. Hope that makes sense, and if not, then sorry for your displeasure, but we all have rules to follow, or limitations in life.

Greg
BrotherTank
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:50 am

BT - the forum doesn't delete messages automatically when quote is reached. Can't say it for all members - but sure not in my case, and not in a recent case of my PM to Majic Monkey.
He didn't see my PM to him till I said it to him over public forum (if you don't believe me - aks him). All that time the PM was in my OUTBOX. After he deleted his messages and could finally recieve a PM - the PM dissapeared from my outbox - yet somehow DIDN'T appear in my "sent items"...which is weird...but that's another bug.

I always delete my messages to keep the inbox not 100% full - to be able to recieve PMs, otherwise I don't get them.

I want a basic thing - to send a PM - and know that other guy will be able to read it. I want to be able to automatically recieve any last PM sent to me. What's more basic than that?
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:17 pm

I guess these scenarios are always possible:

- Majik never bothered to open his Inbox, as he already read your message in his email
- You didn't get any messages when your account was 100% full because no one sent you any

What do you think? Are you 100% sure that you have a bug at all?
Does anyone else have this bug that doomjedi seems to be experiencing?

Everything works fine for me, and has always worked exactly as Brothertank has described. Just saying. Smile

BrotherTank wrote:
The more you type, quote, etc., increases the size of the Private Message, just like a post. Now multiply that by 200 members and things really start to add up. So they don't take virtually no memory.

Good point. This is another reason I'm happy with the limit. My PMs are usually temporary/useless after I reply anyway.
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:07 pm

I've never had any trouble with the size of the inbox personally.

I get close to it being full sometimes but it's generally stuff that I either have already in an email, have downloaded or saved in a link or is posted in a thread somewhere.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:47 am

doomjedi wrote:
BT - the forum doesn't delete messages automatically when quote is reached.

It always did in the past, and I've done nothing to change any settings on that. I don't even think there is a setting for it other than the number of messages a user may have.

doomjedi wrote:
Can't say it for all members - but sure not in my case, and not in a recent case of my PM to Majic Monkey.
He didn't see my PM to him till I said it to him over public forum (if you don't believe me - aks him).

In the case of not seeing it, then he might not have the flag set to open the popup window on new PM's. That is a per user control and something that I have no control over.

doomjedi wrote:
All that time the PM was in my OUTBOX.

Correct. The PM will stay in your Outbox until the recipient has read the message, at which time it changes or moves that to your Sent box.

doomjedi wrote:
After he deleted his messages and could finally recieve a PM - the PM dissapeared from my outbox - yet somehow DIDN'T appear in my "sent items"...which is weird...but that's another bug.

If he deleted the message that you sent to him, then yes, it is removed from your Sent box as he has received, read, and by deleting told the program that that PM is no longer required, and as such is deleted from the system - including your Sent box.

doomjedi wrote:
I always delete my messages to keep the inbox not 100% full - to be able to recieve PMs, otherwise I don't get them.

You should always get them, but yes, managing your PM's is a good thing. The system is programmed to do as I explained earlier. Older messages go off the bottom as new messages come in the top.

doomjedi wrote:
I want a basic thing - to send a PM - and know that other guy will be able to read it.

And that's what you have. Each user has the option to:

1. E-mail them the new messages
2. Pop-up and announce new messages when they log in.
3. Displays in the menu that you have "X" New Private Messages.

Now if they log in and ignore all those things and then log out again... The system believes that they have been notified and doesn't yell at them again. This is standard among all BBS/Forum ssoftware. It's warn Once... Not Until. Althought I believe the menu notification does show unread PM's until you actually read them.

doomjedi wrote:
I want to be able to automatically recieve any last PM sent to me. What's more basic than that?

There's nothing more basic than that, and that is exactly what you have. If something is in your Outbox, it means the person hasn't Read the Message in forum's PM section. If it's in your Sent box then they have read it... If it is gone completely, that means they got it, read it, and deleted it.

I hope that helps you understand the workings of the PM system.

Greg
BrotherTank
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:14 am

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

All I have to do now is stop deleting PM messages and see if I can indeed receive new PMs even if my inbox is full.
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:47 am

doomjedi wrote:
All I have to do now is stop deleting PM messages and see if I can indeed receive new PMs even if my inbox is full.

I just deleted everything from my Inbox and Sentbox, so I'm back at 0% - but if you want any help with testing this, let me know and I can send you 31 messages (maybe 5 or 10 every time we log on). Might help speed up the process. Smile
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

No need to...I'll try to come with some "harder" proofs/evidence next time...or forget about it.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: