DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Do's and don't's
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:37 am
   Subject: Do's and don't's
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

When you make a map set, should you follow the unwritten rules of Wolfenstein? No Hitler ghosts, no Mutants mingling with regular guards (at least not on the straight maps, the bonus ones are another thing (I'm thinking E6L10 here)...) No holowall tricks, no silly stuff bouncing around, no nothing...

... The reason I ask is because I've started a map set for Wolf, a completely straight one. Seeing it can celebrate 20 long years this year I find it suiting that I, a big fan of the game, make my first map set with no changes whatsoever for this game I've played, modified and had fun with for the past 12 years. I'm well into Episode 1, but what I do is I use my own "standards" which are:

* Officers are allowed in episodes not used in the original game
* All wall patches and sprites can be used all over as well
* Mutants appear as guards in remote or secret areas and secret maps - never together with the other guards (at least not in the same room)
* Hitler ghosts are allowed everywhere as well (but I won't use them heavily, but just the fact that they are there makes the whole thing more fun, in my opinion)

Until recently, I've always replaced brown marble #2 with something else - I haven't done so for a while. To tell you the truth, I like this shiny variation, but the two other marble textures (#1 and the one with the banner) haven't got the same hue. Do you discard this when you map, or do you use it? Same goes for gray stone #3. While it works good with gray stone #2, placing it next to gray stone #1 just kills its flow.

And what I'm thinking about is this: Would you play a map set, open up Episode 1 and see officers, mutants and wall patches not used before Episode 5, 6 or something like that and feel totally let down? I'm curious here. I know there are some people around here still who's mapped this game for years and years... Surely you must have an opinion on this subject.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:02 pm
   Subject: Re: Do's and don't's
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Thomas wrote:
When you make a map set, should you follow the unwritten rules of Wolfenstein? No Hitler ghosts, no Mutants mingling with regular guards (at least not on the straight maps, the bonus ones are another thing (I'm thinking E6L10 here)...) No holowall tricks, no silly stuff bouncing around, no nothing...
I avoid the "holowall" thing altogether since it looks so bad when you walk through it, but also because it causes problems if a door closes when you're in it. I'm not fond of the Guard Statue thing, either.

Quote:
* Officers are allowed in episodes not used in the original game
I have no objections to this. Smile
Quote:
* All wall patches and sprites can be used all over as well
I have no reservations about episode-specific sprites being used in "wrong" episodes, but "Red w/ wreath" patches on grey walls, etc. never did it for me.
Quote:
* Mutants appear as guards in remote or secret areas and secret maps - never together with the other guards (at least not in the same room)
I have no objections to the Mutants appearing on any maps, secret or otherwise. Smile
Quote:
* Hitler ghosts are allowed everywhere as well (but I won't use them heavily, but just the fact that they are there makes the whole thing more fun, in my opinion)
No objections, as long as you're given ample ammo to defeat them. Smile

Quote:
Until recently, I've always replaced brown marble #2 with something else - I haven't done so for a while. To tell you the truth, I like this shiny variation, but the two other marble textures (#1 and the one with the banner) haven't got the same hue. Do you discard this when you map, or do you use it? Same goes for gray stone #3. While it works good with gray stone #2, placing it next to gray stone #1 just kills its flow.
Same here. I avoid the Brown Marble 2 wall whenever possible, unless I want to mark one specific spot as a Pushwall.

Quote:
And what I'm thinking about is this: Would you play a map set, open up Episode 1 and see officers, mutants and wall patches not used before Episode 5, 6 or something like that and feel totally let down?
I wouldn't feel that way at all; it always gave the game more variety to me. Too Cool
Chris
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 55
blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:21 pm
   Subject: Re: Do's and don't's
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I think it's cool that you're making a pure mapset that is a tribute to original wolf! (does anyone know of any others? I'd enjoy check them out too). I'd probably find the Ghost Hitlers / Officers / Mutants / Nocturnal Walls on episode 1 kind of out of place and annoying, but if they're introduced/used in interesting ways I guess it could add some fresh variety too... hard to say.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: