DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

ECWolf - Advanced Source Port
Page 5 of 9 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Blzut3
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 3

blank.gif

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:41 pm
   Subject: Re: ECWolf - Advanced Source Port
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

ECWolf 1.1 has been released.
Blzut3
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:09 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The hotfix ECWolf 1.1.1 is now released.
doom44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

Topics: 11
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 pm
   Subject: ECWolf - Advanced Source Port

This source port is awesome! I think my next project will use this. But i have a question about coding. I simply don't know where to start! I wish to make my project have seamless level progression, floor and ceiling textures, and new enemies/weapons, but all i can find is the menu files (I managed to change some things like episode names to test the waters: success! Smile ). It is really awesome not having to deal with compilers, though. Very Happy

Castle Todkrieg: In a grave... OR IS IT?!?!?!?!?! :O
Blzut3
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:20 am

doom44 wrote:
This source port is awesome! I think my next project will use this. But i have a question about coding. I simply don't know where to start! I wish to make my project have seamless level progression, floor and ceiling textures, and new enemies/weapons, but all i can find is the menu files (I managed to change some things like episode names to test the waters: success! Smile ). It is really awesome not having to deal with compilers, though. Very Happy

It's kind of hard to say where to start since there's quite a bit involved in doing a full mod. IIRC "seamless level progression" just means Spear of Destiny style? I guess we can start there.

All level progression information is handled in the MAPINFO file. This is either a MAPINFO lump in a WAD file or mapinfo.txt in a pk3/zip. What you'll want to do is clear the defined episodes and then add yours. If only one episode is defined then the episode menu will be skipped.
::: CODE :::
clearepisodes

// Create an episode starting on MAP01
episode "MAP01" {
    name = "My Episode"
}

From there you will need to define the properties for each of your maps. They'll look something like the following:
map "MAP01" {
    next = "MAP02"
    music = "GETTHEM"
    // More properties here, refer to the wiki for complete list of options available
    // defaultfloor/defaultceiling change the floor/ceiling texture or color
    // Textures "#RRGGBB" are solid colors.
}
// Repeat for MAP02 and so forth
// Final map will have: next = "EndTitle"

Now you have to make your maps. You can use whatever editor you want and then load your GAMEMAPS file with ECWolf. When you go to distribute your mod I do ask that you export your maps. To do this you will need WDC or HWE as ECWolf only loads WDC formatted map dumps. You will then create a wad file with the following lumps:
MAP01
PLANES

The first lump would change for the map slot, but should be empty. The PLANES lump should be the map dump. If building a PK3 save this wad into the maps directory named the same as the first lump (eg map01.wad). If building a WAD file just put those lumps in the WAD.

Now floor/ceiling textures and adding new things is where things are going to get somewhat tedious (no pun intended). You're going to have to write your own map translator so that ECWolf knows what to do with the PLANES data. I recommend opening ecwolf.pk3 and copying xlat/wolf3d.txt or xlat/spear.txt to start with. This file can be named anything you like, but to keep things simple lets just call it xlat.txt (or XLAT in a WAD file). To add third map plane support just add a flats section to the translator.
flats {
    floor {
        "FLAT1",
        "FLAT2"
    }
    ceiling {
        "FLAT1",
        "FLAT2"
    }
}

You may have up to 256 textures defined for each and they don't need to match (although it might be preferable that they do). Remember that textures named #RRGGBB are automatically generated solid color textures which may be used here (or anywhere else a texture is need) as well. Now in MAPINFO, for each of your maps add:
// For PK3
translator = "xlat.txt"
// For WAD
translator = "XLAT"

I can't cover everything about making things in this post. You can look for DECORATE tutorials for ZDoom. They should be mostly relevant to ECWolf. Just remember that ECWolf doesn't support all of the properties, flags, and functions provided by ZDoom. In the mean time lets cover some things needed for the translator. Here is an excerpt actor definition:
actor MyActor 1234
{ /* Stuff goes here */ }

The first line there has three parts. The actor keyword, an identifier, and a "Doomednum" (since I have nothing better to call it really) or as it will be sometimes referred to as "new thing number." If/when editors support UWMF this number will be more relevant, but for now we need to give it to the xlat. Lets look at the things section in the xlat.
// oldnum, newnum, angles, patrol, minskill
{108,   1234,   4,   HOLOWALL,   1}

This means that in your editor actor number 108-111 will spawn thing 1234 which is our new actor. Each consecutive thing number will be rotated 90 degrees per the angles number. The actor supports the HOLOWALL trick and will be spawned on skills 1 and above.

Hopefully this can get you started. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
doom44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:18 am

This will help a lot, thanks Smile

Will ECwolf be able to support music that is not IMF\MUS format? (Like an MP3 or a WAV song) I think i know how to get it ingame if it really is possible. As i recall, i played some SDL mods that had WAVs instead of the basic IMF music. I think Macenstien and Totenkopf SDL were some of them.

Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 178

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 am

Totenkopf used OGG (or maybe not - but I know one mod did) and it really upped the entire ante for what music can sound like in Wolf 3D. Hopefully ECWolf will support this - it's kicked Wolf into new dimensions already, this would only be the topping.
Blzut3
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:26 am

Of course. The sound code needs to be redone, but I do plan to support LPCM, FLAC, Opus, and Vorbis for any sounds (includes music) and MIDI and tracker formats for music. Possibly also include the game music emulator that ZDoom uses as well. I do not plan to support MP3 as patent issues can get in the way with things and Vorbis or Opus is better anyways. The question is when, and given that Mac Wolf uses MIDI probably by 2.0.

Speaking of Mac Wolf. I found everything I need to read MacBin files so support efforts have started. It's still a ways from completion, but in theory I should be able to support all existing Mac scenerios. Smile
doom44
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 am

And how is replacing enemy sprites handled? Do i just merge a sprite set file with the main "Sprites" file in the PK3 with the same name as the specific guard's tag?

Executor
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 41

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:01 pm

You import graphics into a folder labeled "sprites" in your mod's pk3 (do not edit ecwolf.pk3!) with whatever names you want, and, if you are using SLADE3 and importing any format other than PNG, do a Convert to Doom Graphic or PNG (I usually use Doom Graphic, because ECWolf does not support true color and putting non-palette colors in your graphic is thus very unwise).

Sprites have a four-letter tag (for instance, GARD* for the guard), a letter for the frame, and a number 0-8 for the rotation (i.e. the guard's first frame is GARDA1), just like in Doom. Note that using 0 for the rotation means that that sprite replaces ALL rotations for that particular frame (i.e. GARDA0 would appear when viewing a standing guard from any direction).

See also:
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sprite

It's very easy to work with when you get the hang of it.

You can also make your mod a Doom .wad file, in which case sprites go between two lumps named S_START and S_END. However, .wad files are less convenient than PK3s and take up more space.
WSJ
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 24

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:28 am

What about Ripper's directional 3D sprites? Are they available in ECWolf? They're a VERY handy substitute for see-thru walls.

Thomas wrote:
Totenkopf used OGG (or maybe not - but I know one mod did) and it really upped the entire ante for what music can sound like in Wolf 3D.

Yeah, all the Totenkopf SDL music and sound effects are in OGG. I prefer that format over MP3 because it seems to have slightly better compression, and no proprietary BS associated with it.

AlumiuN's advanced sound manager makes it so much fun to work with sound in Wolf3D (I hated the old sound manager.) Smile
Blzut3
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:15 am

WSJ wrote:
What about Ripper's directional 3D sprites? Are they available in ECWolf? They're a VERY handy substitute for see-thru walls.

Not yet. I don't think it would be particularly difficult to add them back in, but the rendering part likely needs to be redone to use ECWolf's structures. Of course I also intend to support transparent walls as well at some point.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 138
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Regarding the size differences between OGGs and MP3s, you *can* get MP3s to be a smaller size than OGG, yet still be of equal quality. But you have to know *exactly* how to do it right. I use Goldwave to get this job done for me. You first download and install an MP3 decoder for Goldwave, and then tweak the MP3 encoder to use some Custom settings that the menus don't use by default. You have to re-select these settings with every audio file you load up. It's not difficult; just tedious.
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 93
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:13 am

Blzut3 wrote:
Try this: Open your ecwolf.cfg file located in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ecwolf\ (or something like that). Look for the key BaseDataPaths and set it to the exact location your wolf data files are.

For example something like this:
BaseDataPaths = "C:\\Wolf-Data";

Note that the path separator should be escaped (\\ instead of just \).

I'll add that you can also delete the config file in case the game doesn't start - a new one will get generated.

Why must the Vista/Win7 config file be kept in a hidden folder like this? If you re-install or move the ecwolf folder (like when I went from ecwol-rc4 to ecwolf-1.1.1), it didn't start, and I had to hunt through this thread to figure out how to get it working again today.

In Win98 the config file is left in the game directory; can't other versions of Windows get this treatment? I think it would make things much simpler. I don't see the advantage of using the AppData\Roaming folder at all.

Another thing: I got Techdemo 1.1 running today and was a bit disappointed that Executor added some severe DOOM-like bobbing (which wasn't in v1.0) - makes me a bit ill to play in fullscreen. I assume he edited some script to enable this - can the player disable it somehow? I didn't see an option in the menus to do so.

Thanks,
Andy
Richter Belmont
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 95
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:12 am

I Also have Questions about this?

does this Support In-game Messages like in doom and Different color Shading rather then turning it on in the options?

https://www.facebook.com/RichterBelmont123

https://twitter.com/Richterbelmont6
Blzut3
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:33 am

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
Another thing: I got Techdemo 1.1 running today and was a bit disappointed that Executor added some severe DOOM-like bobbing (which wasn't in v1.0) - makes me a bit ill to play in fullscreen. I assume he edited some script to enable this - can the player disable it somehow? I didn't see an option in the menus to do so.

When the in game console is added it will be easier to disable this, but for now edit your cfg file. Set MoveBob to 0 to disable.

You're free to put the configuration file where ever you want. I put it in AppData so people can install to Program Files without UAC getting in the way of things. If you really wish to move it, create a bat file.
ecwolf.exe --config C:\Path\To\ecwolf.cfg %*

You can also set --savedir to move the save games.
Richter Belmont wrote:
does this Support In-game Messages like in doom and Different color Shading rather then turning it on in the options?

In game messages will be implmented with the console at some point. Once I'm able to get the depth fog more ROTT/Doom like, there will be mod side options to configure it.
Blzut3
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Continued discussion from the what are you doing thread:

Soldat 555 wrote:
So even that is from Doom unless the modder redoes ECWolf's code or simply leaves it off. Frankly that doesn't bug me as much as the Doom "When you walk the POV bounces up and down" which makes me a little nauseous. I mean, what the Hell, it's like I'm doing lunges or squatting between each step.

If you are one of the few that get nauseous from the view bob then there is a way to turn it off. It's a little out of the way atm since there's no console, but it just involves change the value of a variable in the config file.
Soldat 555 wrote:
Mac Wolf3d didn't use code based off a Doom port... Neither did Wolfenstein Sextilogy... ECWolf DOES, so excuse me when your work feels like DOOM mods now due to the fact your engine uses stuff from ZDOOM. Hell, it was you that pointed out during the first release "It uses WADs just like DOOM does!" It seriously feels like your throwing Wolf3d out the window and trying to emulate the engine more like Doom. DoomJedi said it best...

Technically speaking the SNES (and I assume the derivatives) use a BSP based rendering algorithm like Doom does. Also Rise of the Triad is a wolf engine game that uses an early form of Doom's WAD code. ECWolf still uses Wolf4SDL's renderer, physics, AI, etc. The ZDoom code used involves resources manipulation and should not affect the game play in any way.
Soldat 555 wrote:
I hate that the engine can't stretch/crop images, ..., I hate there isn't a visible resize screen option (Which you probably removed thinking that was crap too).

The engine is capable of stretching and cropping images. I choose not to do so since a majority of the people prefer the original aspect ratio to be preserved. There are a handful of users that are adverse to black bars, but I haven't seen an indication that it's enough to warrant maintaining the code path. If you want, you can set the aspect ratio to 4:3 in the menu and everything will be stretched except for the menu/read this (both of which use a clean scaling factor (whole numbers) for optimal legibility).

The screen size can be adjusted with the -/= keys. I removed the item from the menu since I felt it was inconvenient there (no instantaneous response) and I didn't feel like writing a custom menu handler for it.
Executor
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 41

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:59 pm

Andy_Nonymous wrote:

Thanks,
Andy

I will probably cut the movebob strength to about 1/3 for 1.2. It will still be there, but much more subtle and less like B.J. has a spring where his backbone should be.
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:53 am

Being an old-time DOS hound, I prefer either the command line or a bat file to run my Wolf3d games on my old Windows 98 machine. On my Windows Vista machine, I prefer using a shortcut to navigating to a folder and either double-clicking an EXE or drag-and-dropping.

Here's a tip for making Windows shortcuts for ECWolf mods. I'll use the Assassinate Hitler mod as an example.

I made a subfolder in the ECwolf folder named ahitler (same as the .pk3 file)
I placed all the ahitler files in that folder (.pk3, .txt)
I made a ahitler.bat file in the ECWolf folder with the following contents:

@echo off
ecwolf.exe ahitler\ahitler.pk3 --config ahitler\ahitler.cfg --savedir ahitler

I then right-click on the hitler.bat file and create a shortcut of that and that shortcut can be copied/moved/renamed and launched anywhere on your computer. The bat file will a) use the ahitler.pk3 file in the ahitler folder, b) create/use an ahitler.cfg file in the same folder, and c) put all the saved games for that mod in that folder.

This will keep the saved games and config files separate for each of your mods. Also, the bat file is much easier to edit than the properties of the Windows shortcut, where the length of the pathnames for the .pk, cfg, and savedir files can get quite lengthy.

You might have to delete any already-created cfg files in your User\AppData\Roaming\ECWolf folder because ECWolf seems to always look there first, if I'm not mistaken.

To create a bat file, make a text file first (either start up notepad, or right click in your folder, and select new-> text document), add/edit your file contents and save it. Then rename it to its bat file name and tell Windows, yes @%%@% it, I meant to rename it! Laughing

To later edit the bat file, right click on it and select edit; double-clicking will run your mod.

Andy
Andy_Nonymous
<B>Moderator</B>

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 am

Excuse the double-post, but I noticed something in the ECWolf 1.1.9999 (sent to me with the Totengraeber RC1 file) screen resolutions options menu. 640x400 is no longer offered (though 640x480 is still there).

To me this is a mistake, as it is the Wolf4SDL default, and the original Wolf3d was at 320x200. I know most users will prefer a larger resolution with their bigger flatscreen monitors anyway, but on an older Win98 machine in fullscreen mode, this was the perfect resolution.

If removing 640x400 was not planned for official release, ignore this post. If it was, please reconsider.

Thanks,
Andy
Blzut3
Bring 'em On
Bring 'em On

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:42 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Andy_Nonymous wrote:
You might have to delete any already-created cfg files in your User\AppData\Roaming\ECWolf folder because ECWolf seems to always look there first, if I'm not mistaken.

--config should override. If it doesn't then it is a bug.
Andy_Nonymous wrote:
If removing 640x400 was not planned for official release, ignore this post. If it was, please reconsider.

I didn't remove it. Chances are the change in SDL video driver caused this. Can you try adding this to your batch file before launching ecwolf.exe?
set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=directx

I had to remove the code that sets that since the directx driver has been deprecated and it was causing freezing problems with some computers. That said with ECWolf you should really use 640x480 to take advantage of the aspect ratio correction (although you could force 640x400 to render as 16:10 as well).

Edit: Although I guess aspect ratio correction wouldn't matter on a CRT when fullscreen.
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Wolfenstein 3d View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 5 of 9 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to: