DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

new30, by Gary Ragland (theft ahoy, see second post)
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic

How would you rate this author's first work in the community?
Excellent
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Very good
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Above average
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Average
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Below average
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Awful
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 3
Total Votes : 3

MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 169
usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:18 pm
   Subject: new30, by Gary Ragland (theft ahoy, see second post)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well obviously this is his first work and, as could be expected, it is almost immediately obvious that it isn't nearly as good as his future masterpieces. But I'm one who gives sets equal opportunities, and it doesn't look like work of someone who had no clue what they were doing either. So I'm wondering just how bad (or not so bad) this is considering the superb stuff he would soon make thereafter.

For poll purposes, as such, treat it as just another mapset; the poll selection isn't meant to be in comparison to anything though feel free to comment on that regard.

Despite being called new30 and claiming to have only 30 new levels, play E4L1-E4L5 as well - they are new, complete levels. Quit at E4L6 because it's unfinished and that ends the new30 (or, as it should be called, new35).

Also, E5L7, E5L8, and E5L10 are replaced, but don't bother with them. The layouts of E5L7 and E5L8 are blatant ripoffs of Levels 11 and 12 in SodBlast 2. Didn't think anyone was ever going to catch that, huh? And E5L10 is just a modified Level 6 of the original Spear. Nothing new on display.

Last edited by MrWolfForever on Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
MrWolfForever
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 169
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:59 am
   Subject: Re: new30, by Gary Ragland (theft ahoy, see second post)
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Well if you looked at the spoiler, then you know this set has some myterious maps replaced that the author doesn't notice. Now, if you want more Gary Ragland (albeit not in his magically superb form), Episode 4 is fine to make a quick play through the first 5 levels of. But Gary probably knew that any player who saw these new maps on Episode 4, which I will stress again, have no mention at all to be found within the text file, could quite plausibly look over all the remaining levels to see if the author snuck any surprises in.

You'd subsequently notice that there are indeed a few, on E5L7, E5L8, and E5L10 to be precise. Well, these aren't honest NEW levels.

I had already identified that E5L7 and E5L8 are near-direct copies of Levels 11 and 12 in SodBlase 2. Well, my mention that E5L10 looks like SoD's Level 6 wasn't enough. It's actually a lift of Level 6 in Sod_cc1, a mapset that contains lots of levels with layouts that remind of, but don't blatantly mimic, the original.

Now, maybe it's also possible Episode 4 was never mentioned is because it isn't finished. Reach E4L6, and you're done. No ending fight or anything.

But regardless of where it is, and whether you catch it or not, it is quite apparent that because those were all Spear sets, Gary didn't use any of this as a base. Well right there common sense definitely is a point to this being done on purpose

Don't worry over it; it's such an old set and the levels ripped are old even comparison to it, but unless it's the default ID Software maps, or have clear author's permission, I should NEVER find unexplained ripped off levels anywhere in a set. Period. I'm not sure I could call it plagiarism, But it doesn't add a bit of sense to doing it. These maps were from sod files to boot. So right off the bat you can bet he had to do minor tweaks an convert them. You should never use anyone else's levels without even giving credit.

Doesn't affect my rate though. But you should never rip other levels, even if they are placed in spots that are not that likely to be noticed. It just isn't being honest. And shocking is that this all came from an author who immediately thereafter would produce a 100-fold quality ncrease. But then the question loops around: why bother?
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Polling Booth View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: