DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

PhpBB2 As Is or PhpBB3 - Your input is appreciated
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:31 pm
   Subject: PhpBB2 As Is or PhpBB3 - Your input is appreciated
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hi there everyone,

I've been working the last few weeks on trying to fix the problems with the software here at the forums. I really want to get the e-mail notifications working again if at all possible (as that is the major part of the forums that are having problems). Anyhow, in doing the work, I've been thinking about the idea of upgrading the software to PhpBB 3 rather than the version 2.023 that we have been using since the last update back in 2008/9.

Personally, I haven't used the PhpBB 3 software much and I'm wondering what you think about the version 3 software? I know that it has a little more control as to the user settings via an updated User Control Panel, as well as allowing a little more flexibility in the overall features of Bulletin Board itself. So here are my questions:

1] Do you like things around here the way they are using version 2 software or would you prefer an upgrade to the version 3?

2] What about the forum colours? ie: styles... What colour schemes do you like?

3] If you want to switch to version 3 of PhpBB are there any specific modifications that I should look into?

Either way, there is a lot of work for all of this, but I'd like to know what you all would like to see as it's (if things are still like they were when I did the last major upgrades and changes to the forums) a lot of work, but easier to add, install, and change while I'm doing all the other things that need to be taken care of anyways. So let me know what you think... I'll let you all hash things out for say 2 weeks and then go from there?? That way I can get going on whatever choices we make as a community.

Greg
BrotherTank
Blzut3
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 3

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:52 pm
   Subject: Re: PhpBB2 As Is or PhpBB3 - Your input is appreciated
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I must say, I was kind of wondering why this forum was still on phpBB2. Especially since phpBB2 didn't have the greatest security track record. As a web master myself, I would definitely advise to upgrading. phpBB3 is a really nice package in my opinion. As far as mods and styles go, I really don't think phpBB3 needs much outside of the default. Most people here may beg to differ since the current install is quite heavily modfied, but from a glance it doesn't look like a whole lot of the features are actively used.

I'm glad to hear you're looking into the email notifications issue since that's the most annoying thing about these forums at the moment.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 106
israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:16 am

I'm administrating for years 2-3 PhPBB3 forums (including "Team RayCast" dev. forum), and I know nearly everything about Administrating such forums - and the options those give. Can PM you (again?) link to "TR dev. forum" (though you already should have it by now) so you can take a look...and take is as example...it's Wolf3D forum in PhPBB3. Is Haven in PhPBB3? Seems so - you can take a look there as well.

And I say - go for it....you should have moved to PhPBB3 long time ago. I always wondered why you keep fighting the bugs and limitations of this one.
PHPBB3 gives you easier and fully security and access control per user, per group, per subforum, per action...much more security.
And many other things.

Quote:
1] Do you like things around here the way they are using version 2 software or would you prefer an upgrade to the version 3?

Upgrade to 3. What's to discuss? This is like IPhone 5 to an Admin vs iPhone 3GS.
I know it - as previous version of "TR dev. forum" was in PHPBB2 on forumer.com.
So I know the difference, Administrating both generations of forums for years - and you just can't believe how huge it is....finally you can manage and change the forum just like you want to.
I use russian PHPBB3 forum host as a base, and it's the best one for free forum hosts - as it gives you full access to forum's source code for adding new code and features.

Quote:
What about the forum colours? ie: styles... What colour schemes do you like?

I like blue colors, most neutral and calm ones (but those are colors of all forums I administrated, so I might be non fully objective on this one). But purple can work well too.... just not red or pink...or too vibrant colors that annoy.
Green is a bit non-fitting for such forum.
Brown can work too...

Quote:
3] If you want to switch to version 3 of PhpBB are there any specific modifications that I should look into?

As one who Administrating such forums - just PM me - and I'll give you the list of all the ones that I love most in my forums and that work best.
As I don't see TR dev. forum as a competition to any big Wolf3D forums - just more of a private dev. forum for our team - I don't mind sharing with you good ideas, cool BBCodes.........
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:33 am

Blutz3 wrote:
I must say, I was kind of wondering why this forum was still on phpBB2.

Just so everyone knows.. lol.. It's because I know this software and the version very well. I hand modified all the software and actually wrote the [Colour in Code] mod for the software. I wrote that mod because it meant that people could by colour as well, identify code and code sections that needed to be added, removed, modified, to add and fix things in the Wolf3d source code. Because of all of the work that I did, and had learned, it was easier to just fix the problems with the software than go through the learning curve all over again to a new software.

Also there are things that people have created mod wise for version 2 that still aren't available for version 3 of the software.

Then I got hit by the car, and that has been the major problem for the last 7+ years. I have to apologize to you all in that regaurd. The meds they had me on wouldn't allow me to focus among other things. I've been in a barely functional haze for the last 5-6 years because of the meds. I've let things slide and haven't been me and given to the community my best. I've let people down... And for that I am sorry.

But because of my knowledge of the version 2 software, even with the fog, it still allowed me to fix things as best I could. Even 3 months ago, learning wasn't an option for me. It is now.. I can't begin to explain the processes and the effects and side effects of being on certain medications, and what they do to the mind, body, and person. So that is why I am asking now and didn't upgrade in the last 5 years (since the release of version 3).

As for the mods, I'll look after the security and admin side of the software, I'm more asking for features that you know aren't in the plain vanilla of the software that may be installed in other forums that you use, and you think are useful for the members here at the forums. This will save me some time instead of having to go through each mod and evaluate it.

I have a complete server setup here on my end using Easyphp, Apache Server, Php Version 5, MySQL (as well), PhpMyAdmin, and other tools. I've been using a similar setup (only earlier versions of the software) since MCS donated the forums at the beginning. It gave me the ability to not only install the bulletin board software, but to modify and test everything that was being done to the software. I can keep the version 2 of the software going for years as long as they don't change the functions within the php/MySQL chain.

My biggest concern is having the ability to modify the final look and feel of the forums. I want the most control over being able to change the look of the forums and the content that it provides in a way that is not necessarily standard to a plain vanilla style.

So I'm asking everyone, ie: you don't have to be a moderator or admin to answer. I'd like to hear from everyone about the changes as I appreciate everyones opinion on the subject. Hope that makes more sense and answers a few questions.

Greg
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:02 am

Good to hear from you again, BT. Hope things are going well for you. Smile

I haven't done much in looking over the differences in PhpBB versions, however ...

BrotherTank wrote:
My favorite colors are silver, metallic gold, blue, purple, and grass-green. But I usually don't try to have all those colors on the same screen at one time. Smile

You'll probably want to know the psychological effects that different colors have on the human state of mind. The color most likely to decrease anger and frustration is the color Yellow, though I admit there's not a lot of colors that work well with it. With that in mind, I'd recommend you limit the shades of yellow to ones with low brightness, aside from small fonts and such that you see here. Smile

The colors usually associated with calmness and lucidness are the colors Blue and Grey. I tend to use the color Blue for a very different reason, though - It works well with a large variety of different colors. Smile

As far as colors to avoid in large quantities, I'd say the colors Red and Pink. Psychologically, these colors are the most likely to increase anger and agitation. I'd limit to using them in very small portions, as the forum currently does. Smile

Last edited by Tricob on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:03 am

Personally I'm quite ambivalent in this case. Sure, it could be nice to give this forum a kick with the new PhpBB, but I'll keep using this forum either way.
AlumiuN
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 38
newzealand.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:10 am

As much as I am for always using the latest technology, I think that if you're more comfortable running phpBB2 and there aren't any massive issues (besides the added security) with the site that would be fixed by changing to phpBB3, and I don't see any forum-breaking issues personally, then it might not be a bad idea to stick with what we have already.

Last edited by AlumiuN on Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Hair Machine
DieHard SS
DieHard SS

Topics: 8
uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:11 am

I know doing this kind of upgrade can be a big job and can cause problems, especially if there are custom features needing to be ported. I work with PHP and the Drupal CMS professionally so I know the industry but I'm not an expert on this software. Also you've been doing this for years so I won't patronise you with simple dev 'tips' you already know about. In addition I think you've done a great job keeping these forums going and have no reason to apologise for anything. Thanks BT! Mr Green

Having the email notifications working again would definitely be nice - I wasn't aware they were broken in fact and was just thinking about turning them on. The other thing I personally would look into is more powerful automated security and spam protection - it would be nice not to have a lockdown on gmail addresses particularly if at all possible, as this is a widely used email address. There is software such as Mollom which can be used - if you've not heard of it we've had good results in restricting known spammers and 'spammer like' email addresses without having to have a lockdown on emails that has a high chance of blocking legit users. Anyway you may already have tried this and discovered it doesn't work for you - just my ha'penny's worth.

I like the colours and feel of the forums how they are. Personally I use the green one (subTrail) as it's quite funky and it's the one I had when I originally signed up with. However, changing the theme is fine with me in the name of progress - it's more about the content than the look for me.

The main feature I use apart from the forums is the stats page, so it would be nice to keep continuity with that.

DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:56 am

Quote:
I'm have no qualms with either option at this moment. Though that is largely because I have no back-end use on this forum. Laughing

Quote:
I really like black / dark color schemes as they are easy on the eyes for me when I have the lights off or are online in the middle of the night. (which is very often for me)

Quote:

I'm not educated enough on phpBB to really give any useful input on what comes standard and what is a modification.

If I can still use a black/dark color scheme. I'll be happy as I'm sure everyone else has enough knowledge and input to cover everything else Smile

DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 17

uk.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:15 am

AlumiuN wrote:
As much as I am for always using the latest technology, I think that if you're more comfortable running phpBB2 and there aren't any massive issues (besides the added security) with the site that would be fixed by changing to phpBB3, and I don't see any forum-breaking issues personally, then it might not be a bad idea to stick with what we have already.

I have no experience of forum management. I personally have no issue with the features or appearance of this one.

Though sometimes it is very slow at loading pages relative to other forums and the broken email notifications are a little bothersome.

But I don't use a phone to browse this site (or the internet); many many other websites adopt narrow layouts with large borders either side, to make it easier for phone users to view on their phone.
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 163
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:21 pm

vermil wrote:
Though sometimes it is very slow at loading pages relative to other forums and the broken email notifications are a little bothersome.
Regarding the page loading, I know that the main page does this because it's loading those scrolling banners at the bottom. The speed at which they're loaded has nothing to do with the DHWs server; the banners are loaded up from numerous outside servers, and some are faster than others, or are different speeds at different times. it just takes a while to load the banners from particular sites sometimes. Smile

Last edited by Tricob on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:09 pm

I'm easy either way, but I think it might be better to change over if it's easier to run, is more supported and has more features. I don't really see many problems with the current version, outside of the email thing that restricts the number of people we get joinging around here. If the new version has additional features that can improve the forum then I say go for it. Of course it's completely up to you BT of what you're capable with, don't want my opinion to help lead you into something you may not have the time for etc.

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:10 pm

phpBB 3 has some great features compared to 2. I have been running it on fascimania.com. The only mod I have is one that allows you to set up personalized registration questions in addition to the regular anti-spam guards.

One that I find very useful is watching a complete section of the forums for new posts (not just replies).

However, I did find setting up users and usergroups vs new user accounts and all that junk to be a little confusing to set up.

DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 pm

Adam Biser wrote:

However, I did find setting up users and usergroups vs new user accounts and all that junk to be a little confusing to set up.

I've got the hang of it - it's actually not that hard.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:54 am

Adam Biser wrote:
phpBB 3 has some great features compared to 2. I have been running it on fascimania.com.

I'm seeing that now that I upgraded my local machine with the newest version of 3... lol.. They've included many of the mods that I have installed here in the 2 forums for DHW.

Adam Biser wrote:
The only mod I have is one that allows you to set up personalized registration questions in addition to the regular anti-spam guards.

Yes, I will look into those as I know that there were 3 different spambot mods that I have installed in 2 here at DHW. There are a few others that I'm looking at as well... One of the last mods that someone finally came up with for version 2 was a Blog mod... I am going to look into that one as well as they have also created a version for 3.

Adam Biser wrote:
One that I find very useful is watching a complete section of the forums for new posts (not just replies).

Yes, those are almost a must as I had one installed here before the e-mail broke, and it was working very well up to that point.

Adam Biser wrote:

I hear ya. When I was modding 2 for us here, the ones that gave me the most trouble were the search mods. Those were written so tight that when you installed 1 it was almost impossible to install another. It took a few weeks of trial and error to get those installed into the forums. I only hope that they have similar search mods available for 3.

The only real problem that I have with all the mods is that none of them tell you that if you install mod "A" that then mod "Z" will not be able to be installed without major problems, or can't be used at all. I also hope that they left things open in the BBCode that we can have the same colour in code that I wrote for phpBB version 2. I even sent a few messages to the code gods working on 3 back when it became a release candidate, and said please feel free to not only use the code I wrote, but to contact me if they didn't understand what I had done and why soooo many people wanted what I wrote. It felt so good to watch the download counter on that little code mod go up and up... lol...

Anyhow, yes it looks like I'll be moving the forums over to phpBB3.
They actually listened to many of us and made things like subforums, category links, and all the changes that we all wanted the users to be able to control on there own, and yet still have admin ability to turn those choices on or off to allow for such control over the look of our forums. I'm still playing with the basic un-modded version and seeing just what one can do with all the new options and included mods that make up the latest version.

@All: I really appreciate your input and if there are mods for the forums that you would like to see added, please speak up and let me know. I can't say that I'll install everything, but I will look at each of them and see if they can and will be used around here. Keep the comments and ideas coming, as I want to get working on this as soon as possible. I've got style graphic ideas in my head and hopefully I can do what I'd like to with all of those ideas.

Greg
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 pm

"Thank you" mod is one I like and use, cuts down on redundant posts etc...Though it's much more useful for a dev. forum.
There are some cool others.....

From BBCodes there are some nice ones, like "Progress" BBCode I use on my forum to update more visually mod's progress in different areas....
For Text Formatting BBCodes there are some nice, like signs, thinking BBcode, cold or hot texts, rainbow colored text etc......all those I use on my forum.

Youtube embedding and image uploading is a much as well. Image albums.....

There are also codes to put facebook embedding/sharing on pages and on general forum....This helps promoting the forum.

Smilies selection needs to be hand-picked and relevant, unlike currently.
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:34 pm

I've bought up that I'd like different tabs that we currently use email, websites etc. added. Maybe some additional Social media ones?

What does the 'buddy' thing do also, does anyone use it?

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Adam Biser
Utility Developer
Utility Developer

Topics: 46
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 pm

doomjedi wrote:
Adam Biser wrote:

I've got the hang of it - it's actually not that hard.

I got the hang of it by the time I no longer need to do anything with it. Smile

Basically, I wanted to disable the "new user" groups and set up some forums that no one but a select few could see. I also wanted to set up a forum where only I could post new topics, but anyone could reply. I use that for the news posts on the front page of fascimania.com.

It just wasn't as intuitive as I would have liked it to be.

Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:47 pm

Just thought I'd ask a little favour..... Not that big, but I keep reading certain posts and maybe it's just me, but they seem to imply a stupidity or lack of thought on my part. I know I asked for your input, but I didn't think I asked for those type of responses. I'm sure if you read through the posts, you will see that it's more than one person, but there is one that has done it more than once.

I took one of my last messages to explain why I stuck to 2 and apologized for my distance that being hit by the car has put between me and this hobby that I love. When I said that I was in a haze, it's the easiest way to explain it. The truth is that I would want to do things and days, weeks, and months would go by, and while I thought I was working on the problem quickly, I had no idea that it was days, weeks, and months later. Being on those meds was the worst thing that has happened to me. I just talked to my uncle, who I used to talk to at least once a month, and found out that it has been a little over a year since our last chat. I had no concept of the time.... The time lost...

Add to that the fact that I didn't want people to think that I was dumping on them and I let things get out of my control. That is why I apologized. I know I picked a good group of people to moderate and look after this place while I was, am gone. And those people have done admirably. Now, I'm still not 100%, but now I am only taking pain and anti-inflamitory meds. I am still sleeping a bit more than I should, but that is because while I am sleeping, it's not the restfull recovery sleep that one really needs to get daily.

Anyhow, I just wanted you to know that I appreciate the input, but can we stop with the little digs, as those are getting under my skin and bothering me. I mean wow... the relevance of smilies?

Thanks...

Greg
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:54 am

Adam Biser wrote:
Basically, I wanted to disable the "new user" groups and set up some forums that no one but a select few could see

This is really easy to do...you have fully control the default user group, and which particular group or user see each of the forums. Just PM me for any help.
On our TR dev. forum there are like 10-15 different groups, each sees different sections of the forum...also I can define such per user..

Quote:
. I also wanted to set up a forum where only I could post new topics, but anyone could reply.

This is easy too...not easy, but not hard either. Forum allows that.
You can set up per user or per group if they can or cannot use PMs, post new topics, reply to topics, delete or edit posts.......basically any forum action.

Also on my forums I love to set up the "feedback" mod, and also special forum section that even unregistered quests can post - good for feedbacks from unregistered forum readers - and for people with registration problems.......

Quote:
It just wasn't as intuitive as I would have liked it to be.

Well, you need to get used to it - but it's not totally un-intuitive either.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:10 am

BrotherTank wrote:
I'm sure if you read through the posts, you will see that it's more than one person, but there is one that has done it more than once.

Listen, Greg...You could just say my nick, if you are so "person-specific" in details regarding my posts. It's not like you left any guessing space anyway to who that person might be.
I didn't want to offend you, and I just really wanted to help you with this big change, especially having Administrating experience on PhPBB3 forums, that might look complicated at first - but after a few years I got a good hang of it.
I had pure intentions but this doesn't matter.
Really, I don't want to feel I'm unwanted here and so is my input....so, I really don't mind leaving this particular thread. Just say so.
I'm sorry I even bothered to give any input. Just forget it.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 72

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 am

Alright guys, before this turns into an unnecessary conflict.

Max, at times your messages lack a bit of tact; unintentionally you can sound a bit mean or make it sound like you know everything better than everyone else. I know you don't mean it, but it can look that way to someone else. Just mind the phrasing of your words a bit.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:53 am

Seconded. But it's always hard to make comments written on the Internet sound like you want them to sound.
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 72

blank.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:09 am

^^ Indeed. Especially if English isn't your first language.
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:17 am

Thank you guys.

I'll try to phrase my posts better.
I really didn't intent for things to sound like that.
Again - if it bothers anyone - my apologies and I'll willing to remove myself from this discussion at any moment.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:52 pm

Thanks Max...

I can accept that there was no intent.. But they are right. There are times when you come across strong willed and with a lack of tact. And when people have done that to you, you didn't like it either. I know, as I stuck up for you at the time if you remember.

Yes, I've been running these forums for a long time, and ran BBS's before that. Way before the internet. I know this software quite well as far a version 2 goes, and I'm not oblivious to version 3. As I said in my post to Adam, they have included many things that weren't in the original release of 3, and some of it is new to me in that sense. In that they included these things as features rather than add-ons. It doesn't mean that I am stupid or lack the ability to understand, but it does mean that there is a learning curve to the changes and the differences. And when people imply things like that about someone without knowing about the person they are talking to and about, it is offensive or as Ron said, as a lack of tact.

Now this is not just to you, I appreciate the input, but don't imply that there was any lack of thought, stupidity, or such on anyone's part. And you weren't/aren't the only one who is/was doing it. Just read this thread, and I'm sure that you will see the others. I'm not saying remove yourself from this thread or anything else, I'm just trying to point out that we don't need to be offensive to one another.

What caught me of guard on your post was the smilies. I mean, relevant in what way?? They are the standard set that comes with PhpBB2/3 with a few additions, that came from Messenger [that we were all using to talk to one another back when this place came into being]. The main difference that I thought actually made them MORE relevant to the forums, was the fact that they were named Armada... aka Army, with the helmets. I thought that made them even more relevant to what we had here as far as the theme. The funny part is that in all the time that the forums have been running, the smilies are about the only thing people haven't been talking to me about.

Greg

PS: I'll let you all know in a few days [I have to put a list together] which of the mods I'm looking at. As I said it's a tiny bit of a learning curve, as the real changes are in how the styles are setup and learning all the new switches that they use to include/exclude things in the generated HTML. I would like the forums to have their own look and feel, and while being a forum, I'd like to present the information that we have here in a little better manor and something that holds to the whole Wolfenstein Theme.

Anyhow, thanks for listening.. and the input... And for me it's back to checking out all the mods, bb-codes, reading up on them and seeing which ones will be beneficial to the forums in the future...

Greg
doomjedi
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

israel.gif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:49 am

BrotherTank wrote:
There are times when you come across strong willed and with a lack of tact.

I might...people on TR forum said it a number of times before. If I do - this is not intentionally.
Again - my apologies. I even don't know to point out the exact reasons for such a result, probably a mix of reasons, both mentioned or not.
Also I'm watching lately something like 6-7 episodes of "Breaking Bad" a day, to catch up - and main characters in movies or TV usually change my behaviour much for some time after finishing watching. Smile

All I really wanted is to help you out with feedbacks and such, especially as TR forum is not made as massive public Wolf3D forum - and so is not in competition for the public Wolf3D forum spot (and never was) - so I was ready to share all my tips and secrets with you.
I made and administrated in the past numerous PhPBB2 forums on numerous hosts, and at least 3 large PhPBB3 forums over last 5-6 years. Those are free hosts - and despite access to PhP source in the PhPBB3 forums - I could never do and add things to them the way you could and did, as free hosts limit you - some more - some less, some barely - but still. I'm in no way having more expertise in PhP, coding and such than you, and could never add code colors and such...You did a great and outstanding job in keeping this PHPBB2 forum as much advanced and relevant as you could, in almost impossible conditions. I admire and respect that.
But I think after 4-5 years (or maybe more) with PhPBB3 forums, knowing them in and out - I might have some valuable input to what you can do with PHPBB3 and how - as I was always focused at adding more features and better user experience to forums I administrate, more mods, more BBCodes......
Just a week ago I left administration of big PhPBB3 forum (and am mentoring the new Admin there), and now the only forum I administrate is the TR forum.

Quote:
It doesn't mean that I am stupid or lack the ability to understand

Maaaaan, this is soooo far from what I could even think to think to mean.....I admire and respect you very much so. To hear that you might have understand the total opposite of what I think about you - makes me think if I indeed phrase my posts right.
If you'd get into my head and know how I really see you - you'd never suspect such interpretation from my words.

Quote:
, but it does mean that there is a learning curve to the changes and the differences.

I myself hate changes, very hard on changes and adaptation to them....changes are always a big shock to me, I'm a retro dude, old-fashion. I like to push known stuff as much as I can - till life actually kicks you out to new changes....like recently moved apartment as I was kicked from the old one for not cleaning it well, or at all. Should've left to a bigger rental pplace years ago, you can't believe the conditions I allowed myself to live in - for so long.....
So changes are hard....and it's always a learning curve ...it's obvious.

Quote:
Just read this thread, and I'm sure that you will see the others.

But you mentioned smilies - so you could mean only me as the main offender. So I said - you could just say my nick directly - if you're already so specific.
Quote:
I'm not saying remove yourself from this thread or anything else, I'm just trying to point out that we don't need to be offensive to one another.
I really, honestly - never meant to. I could never guess you'd get offended - before you posted about it.

Quote:
They are the standard set that comes with PhpBB2/3 with a few additions, that came from Messenger [that we were all using to talk to one another back when this place came into being].

All I meant to say - forums allow you not to work with set of smilies - but create or alter such manually to fit your needs more perfectly and personally, with changing/adding single smilies.
On PhPBB3 to add a smilie you need first to upload it to images tab in administration panel (try not to overspam that one with non-relevant images, you'll quickly understand why). Then you'll automatically see it as a smilie at "add multiple smilies" screen at the smilies section. You just need to add a type code to it, description.....

Quote:
The main difference that I thought actually made them MORE relevant to the forums, was the fact that they were named Armada... aka Army, with the helmets.

I noticed that and preciated. When I was talking about non-fitting smilies - I NEVER meant ANY of the helmeted ones. They are obviously great smilies and fit this forum more than most of the smilies on "my" forum.
I did mean smilies like pizza, soccer ball, plane and such - that doesn't relate to Wolf3D or WWII in any way.

My old PhPBB2 TR forum was recently deleted by forumer.com - so I can't refresh my memory - but as least for PhPBB3 - it allows you to add and delete smilies as you like - with full control (I remember adding/deleting smilies on PhPBB2 forum as well, with less control though)....it's a bit tricky and takes quite some time to get used to it and to get it right - but on PhPBB3 - smilies are fully addable/sustomizable (not only as full packs you select) - so you could (just for example) delete a pizza one - and manually add a more relevant smilies from any pack of image you can find on the internet and download to your comp.
I chose and combined manually every single smilie on TR forum, smilie by smilie - to fit the possible needs and theme....even made many animated smilies myself when lacked some...not that I expect that from anyone (I just love making smilies, that's all) - but there are so many ready ones you can get free from the internet. Can send you such packs myself.

Quote:
Anyhow, thanks for listening.. and the input... And for me it's back to checking out all the mods, bb-codes, reading up on them and seeing which ones will be beneficial to the forums in the future...
Yeah, I myself spend time on that from time to time to keep updated...even "stole" ideas for some from the Haven forum......
I love adding features to forum, heh Smile
Dugtrio17
Code Master
Code Master

Topics: 49
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:39 pm

From an admin perspective, I found phpBB 3 a lot easier to work with than 2. Mods, BBCode, user admin, and in particular styles. Sometimes it got a little annoying how some simple tasks became needlessly complicated (creating forums comes to mind), but overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

For mods, I've got no preferences other than changes necessary preserve existing formatting; that's a given, though.

canada.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks Dan..

That's what I'm finding too. The other problem is that the moderation control panel is sooo different. The actual moderation of posts is somewhat the same, but the abilities of the moderators are so removed from the MCP Mod for phpBB2. You have to create a moderator group and then go and give specific permissions or abilities to do things like edit-add-delete users and all the little extras that have nothing to do with post moderation. I've downloaded all the mods and am going through them one by one to see which are useful and give the most bang for the buck as they say.

It's not an overnight thing. The other thing I'm running into is the php version requirements. And we are limited to what version the host allows to run on their system, so there are some things that I would love to add that just can't be added at this time....

Greg
BrotherTank

PS: Someone upgraded my Colours in Code [BBcode] tutorial to be used with phpBB3 (without contacting me) but it works and so that will carry over into the new setup.
gerolf
DieHard Wolfer
DieHard Wolfer

Topics: 162
usa.gif

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:10 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I say go for it Smile

My favorite color scheme is red because it reminds me of the Wolf3d menu Very Happy

Actually, having just tried out subblack, I think I like it more. The one thing I'd like to see is customization (like if I could change the yellow text to red or whatever), but really that's not what matters. I love this forum more than any of the others I'm a member of. It's laid back, and there's not so many people here that you forget who's who (though this could change, but at leas the people here now know everyone).
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: