DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Error when attmpting to join up
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 52
australia.gif

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:44 pm
   Subject: Error when attmpting to join up
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

Hi,

I was contacted by someone who is trying to join the forum but keeps getting the same error message when they do;
Quote:
'Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
Reload this webpage
Press the reload button to resubmit the data needed to load the page.
Error code: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE'

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

Dean

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator
<B>Forum Administrator</B>

Topics: 153
canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:28 pm
   Subject: Re: Error when attmpting to join up
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

No clue Dean....

I'm working on it, but it's looking like portions of the forums software are damaged and missing.. So, I have to rebuild a whole new system. I have managed to download the mods I believe are installed in the current system, but that's the old version 2 of the software... And for version 3, there are things that we have now, that are not yet available for version 3.

So, I'm buillding both versions of the software... It's a slow process becuase of my disabilities, but I am working on it.
For now, all I can suggest is try using the add a user option from the Moderator Menu, and create new accounts for those that contact you wanting access to the forums. I hope to have things fixed as soon as I possibly can...

Greg
BrotherTank
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks for the explanation Greg. Do we know if anyone is able to join up at the moment?

"Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people" - Socrates
Andy_Nonymous
DieHard Officer
DieHard Officer

Topics: 99
usa.gif

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:19 am
   Subject: Error when attmpting to join up

To my knowledge, nothing has changed since reflex17 tried and failed to join back in February. Tricob did a test registration using his gmail account and it appeared to be a server problem, though we were just speculating.

Despite the global gmail and hotmail bans being relaxed, only about 1 or 2 spammers per week are able to get to the awaiting validation stage. My guess, if things were working correctly, is that there would normally be more like a couple dozen a day.

The last successful member registration was MRMOON back in November.
BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 am

Most of the time the problem is with it sending the actual validation e-mail, to the registering user, to complete the process. But after looking at the forum software I found problems with some of the files missing portions of the code. It looks like in one of the Yahoo backups, it trashed the end of some of the files while saving. The major problem started when I lost my backups because of a hard-drive crash. About a year ago, I was having problems logging into the system and MCS helped me out, and I downloaded the software from the server direct as my backup in case something happened...

I found out about the problem when the system stopped sending me any e-mails when new users signed up.... And that was about the time that my doctor at the pain management clinic retired. Then it was working for a while, and then it stopped again for some reason... and that was when the system stopped sending out any messages to anyone about PM's waiting, new posts in watched threads, and\or anything to do with the mail sending functions. At first it looked like it was just in the template files that it uses to generate it's output, but then I found some parts missing in a few of the function files in the php source itself...

So then it was try to find all the mods that were installed into the system, so that the data structures would match up, which was a task in itself as many of the authors stopped not only updating their software but allowing it to be downloaded... lol... So, I think I have everything now... I still have to reload my XP operating system on this laptop as windows installed something that has taken over control of the server ports on my current setup so that I can run the EasyPhp software that I use to build and test the software without taking the forums down while I do it. It's so much easier to build the software locally than having to contstantly upload each change and test it to make sure that it works and doesn't trash the mysql database... We wouldn't want that to happen, as the last backup of that that I got from the system is over a year old. The database is too large for Yahoo to allow a complete download as it times out everytime that I try and do a backup. Good thing MCS set the sites control panel to do a backup daily... lol...

Anyhow... I am working on it and hope to have it fixed as soon as I possibly can...

Greg
BrotherTank
Dean
<B>Moderator</B>

australia.gif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:19 pm

I can't seem to work out how to join anyone through the Moderator controls so I tried joining the person up the old way but keep getting a time out error. It doesn't seem, to me, that there is currently any way to either join, or have someone join the forum. Even if there was a back door way where we could join people individually that would be something but otherwise there just doesn't seem to be any way at all, which is pretty disappointing.

I understand the technical concerns and your ability to be able to fix things at this time Greg, no disparagement meant towards you in any way, just the general situation sucks! lol

BrotherTank
Forum Administrator

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:36 am
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The option is there... So if someone would like to join the forums, they can send an e-mail or contact any of the moderators and they can add users to the forums. This is just a stop gap solution until we can get the files fixed and everything back up and working. The biggest problem to all of this is that the forums are not sending e-mails out and as such, the software times out trying to create new accounts. And depending on when it times out, it sometimes enters the info the user has submitted, but most of the time not...

Anyhow... The solution is there now, and I am working on getting things back up and operating properly so we can have a fully functioning forum again...

Greg
BrotherTank
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Speak to Us View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: