DieHard Wolfers Forum Index DieHard Wolfers
A Wolfenstein 3d Fan Community

Hosted by: MCS & Areyep.com - Designed by: BrotherTank

Original Yahoo Forum - Die Hard Archives

AReyeP HomepageAreyep Homepage DieHard Wolfenstein BunkerDieHard Wolfenstein Bunker Log inLog in RegisterRegister Banlist FAQFAQ Search ForumsSearch

Username:    Password:      Remember me       

Save/Load
Page 1 of 1
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page BottomView Next Topic
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:15 am
   Subject: Save/Load
   [ IP : Logged ]
Goto Top of PostsGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

When I create a map for a mod, usually I always account for the fact that some players will play a mod without saving and loading i.e. when they die they start a level with a pistol and 8 bullets, and so I usually put in a secret relatively close to the start so they are still able to finish a map properly. However, lately I've been wondering if that is necessary. Does anyone every play a mod without saving and loading? Should I just assume everyone does this, and balance ammo and health based on that assumption?
Aryan_Wolf3D
I am Death Incarnate
I am Death Incarnate

Topics: 6

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:12 am
   Subject: Re: Save/Load
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Next PostGoto Bottom of Posts

I usually save before entering the next level... But I still think it's only fair to place a small amount of ammo and health near the start, in case the player is very low on both from the previous level.

DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:56 am

Yeah I think it's a good idea.

I also think it's a good idea to alternate between two save slots, yet I rarely do this.

Also sometimes you screw yourself by neglecting to save or accidentally saving just before you get unavoiadably slaughtered and then, yeah I think it helps to have a lot cache relatively nearby.

Or think of it this way: a secret cache won't meant much to a player who saves/loads consistently, just a cool extra secret.
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:17 am

Most of my time making maps I had the awful happing of putting in vast amounts of food, ammo and even treasure to a certain extent. It was only in early 2012 after having released the first two episodes of my map set that a fellow with a blog who I don't believe I've seen in the community said I was way too kind with ammo and food. It took the edge and the excitement off of playing the map. So ever since, I've been a bit of a hard-ass. I even made some maps where you had to get to level 6 or 7 until you got the machine gun, even! But some of the mods I know that people love, and I loved as well, were Totengraeber, Spear of Destiny, End of Destiny... All the huge, golden ones... And many was the time that I ran around, especially in AReyeP's maps, using up all the ammo and stabbing my way through the final parts of several levels... But it was exciting. The Golden Episodes is another.

I always play test my maps on my own before releasing anything. And I always play on skill 4, and start each and every level with 8 bullets and full health as you do; and if I can complete the level with a 3 x 100% ratio, that's a take.

But a lot of people quick-save. I know I do. Maybe even to excess... The Golden Episodes disciplined me a bit. Chris Chokan's ridiculous record setting in completion of various mods made me anxious to stop caring about saving stuff... But I don't know. That's how I've played mods as long as I can remember.

My current mapping is like this: in a 10-level episode there's maybe a chain gun in 2 levels. One-ups are also something I've thought about phasing out - in the future this could be replaced by a rejuvenatory sphere of sorts that simply replenishes the health without giving you 9+ lives and the "ding-a-de-ding" sound. The status bar would get more free space... Maybe even make a "Kills" counter instead? That could be sweet.

And instead of the saving menu, add checkpoints to the maps instead. That's a nice halfway solution for those who pander towards quick saving and those who ram through the level doing nothing but ammo and opening doors. Has this ever been done?

I also tend to add ridiculous amounts of guards 'cause it's part of the fun. And if you're not interested in that, there's always baby skill. There always is.
Zach
DieHard Guard
DieHard Guard

Topics: 30

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Haha, you know what would crack me up if I saw it in a mod? "Can I play Daddy" setting with no guards. XD Or like one per level.

I think a one-up that gives you autosaves (of which there would be a limited number) would be a cool way to do it too. Gives back a real function to them other than a rare collectible. But that's fun too Smile
ronwolf1705
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 69

blank.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:24 pm

Didn't EoD did something like that on its fifth difficulty? A certain amount of saves per level, or replacing lives with saves?
Thomas
Mapping Master
Mapping Master

Topics: 186

denmark.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:49 pm

I think you're right... Haven't played it in ages, but I remember something like that... Pretty sure I "reverted" to play on skill 4 instead.

But wait a minute... Isn't it possible only to unlock certain levels if you play on skill 5?
Tricob
<B>Moderator</B>

Topics: 160
usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:01 pm
Goto Top of PostsGoto Previous PostGoto Bottom of Posts

The way I see it, if you weren't expected to go all the way through a level after "dying", they wouldn't restart you on the level with the 8-ammo-and-pistol setup when you lose a life. It'd be more like a "Quake" setup where you restart the level with all the weapons and ammo you had when you first entered the level.

More than once, I've barely made it to the end of a level alive, or with next to no ammo. When you start a new level under those circumstances, I find it far more practical to "die" and start the level over with more ammo and/or more health. Otherwise, it's pretty much a dead end for me. Sad
DieHard Wolfers Forum Index -> Mapping Mania View Previous TopicRefresh this PageAdd Topic to your Browser FavoritesSearch ForumsPrint this TopicE-mail TopicGoto Page TopView Next Topic
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: